NFL 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
This is the same situation as that batshit Seahawks fan article I posted the other day, citing Denver’s receivers stats as somehow supporting an argument that Lock could produce if he had the supporting cast, entirely overlooking the fact that the reason the WR stats were subdued was because of the people throwing the ball into the wrong place.

I remember reading stats about Sutton being the receiver who’d got open and been thrown an un-catchable pass the most frequently in the league or something like that.

Receivers are inherently reliant on their QB.
According to ProFootballFocus, Jeudy led the league in uncatchable targets last season. Jeudy was targeted with a throw that no receiver could be reasonably expected to catch 26 times. Twenty-four percent of his total targets and 47% of his deep-ball targets were deemed uncatchable.

Jeudy is known for his route-running prowess. Often, Jeudy cleanly beats a defensive back leaving him in the dust. Only 81% of Jeudy's "wide-open targets" were deemed catchable. This was the third-lowest percentage in the league. When Jeudy found himself wide open 19 percent of the time, Drew Lock delivered a putrid throw.
This was with Drew Lock in 2020 yeah.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
That may be true in random instances but not across the board. Larry Fitzgerald being a prime example who spent his career on many very average Arizona teams and is the #2 receiver in NFL history. Same with Tony Gonzalez's production in Atlanta. Andre Johnson, Anquan Bolden are two more who played on average teams and would up with top 15 all time in yards and receptions and Calvin Johnson is in Canton after playing only 8 years in underachieving Detroit. Ultimately, good players will shine through irrespective of where they play. Kupp has developed into one of the best receivers in the league by working for it. His stats this past year were down to him getting targeted a lot more, which is why he caught a lot more.

Back to Odell - He will continue to contribute here in LA, but he will never be the same player he was in 2014-16 and I wouldn't be surprised to see him peter out in LA and move on after realizing he will always be a distant second in targets because Kupp is and will continue to play at an incredible level in the coming years.
Larry Fitzgerald is not even a top 5 WR of all-time, let's keep it serious here. You cite Megatron in an "underachieving Detroit", but his entire career he was tied to the very QB who has supported the two single greatest WR seasons of all-time.

Good players will shine through indeed which is why OBJ immediately balled out in his first three years in the league, because let's not act like the Giants were atop of the NFC class back then. His situation in Cleveland was just an outlier and it cannot be stressed enough how bad a QB Mayfield has been.

Also disagree about the current situation in LA. Woods will come back and, depending on his injury status, OBJ will have had some more time there as well. Targets will be evened out more than they were this season. It's been 10 years since a WR won back-to-back receiving yards titles, we can't expect another season like this for Kupp.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Larry Fitzgerald is not even a top 5 WR of all-time, let's keep it serious here. You cite Megatron in an "underachieving Detroit", but his entire career he was tied to the very QB who has supported the two single greatest WR seasons of all-time.

Good players will shine through indeed which is why OBJ immediately balled out in his first three years in the league, because let's not act like the Giants were atop of the NFC class back then. His situation in Cleveland was just an outlier and it cannot be stressed enough how bad a QB Mayfield has been.

Also disagree about the current situation in LA. Woods will come back and, depending on his injury status, OBJ will have had some more time there as well. Targets will be evened out more than they were this season. It's been 10 years since a WR won back-to-back receiving yards titles, we can't expect another season like this for Kupp.
Maybe Fitzgerald's prime was before you discovered the NFL ? He's widely regarded as one of the greats and has stats to back it up, all of which were accrued in mostly average teams.

Good point on Woods. He will come back and be a force again, which could make Odell the #3 receiver there. Not sure he will be ok with that given that he will want more targets.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Was a stupid contract then and even worse today. The last sentence no longer applies with the Gallup signing.

https://fansided.com/2022/03/12/ezekiel-elliott-blame-cowboys-trading-amari-cooper/?utm=newsbreak
Ezekiel Elliott to blame for Cowboys trading Amari Cooper

Running back Ezekiel Elliott played a role in the Dallas Cowboys trading top wide receiver Amari Cooper to the Cleveland Browns.

Once the NFL offseason began, there was talk about the Dallas Cowboys moving on from star wide receiver Amari Cooper as a way to free up cap space, who carried a $20 million hit. While there was talk of being released, reports indicated that the Cowboys wanted to see if they can orchestrate a trade with a team interested in Cooper’s services.

On Saturday, the Cowboys traded Cooper and a sixth-round draft pick to the Cleveland Browns in exchange for a 2022 fifth-round pick and a sixth-rounder.

The Cowboys did free up the cap space they desired, but they lost their top weapon in the passing game as a result. The move had to be made because of running back Ezekiel Elliott’s albatross of a contract.

Elliott, whom Dallas selected with the fourth-overall pick in 2016, shined in the beginning of his NFL career. But then, Elliott held out for a new contract in the 2019 offseason. Sure enough, owner Jerry Jones bit to ensure one of the offense’s top weapons at the time was on the roster.

The official deal was a six-year, $90 million contract extension. That contract has since hindered the Cowboys’ spending abilities.

While getting Elliott’s contract off the books would be a good idea at first thought, there is no way Dallas’ front office would be able to do so. Why is that? Well, Elliott carries a $30.8 million dead cap hit. So, that’s why he is on the roster for the 2022 season.

The Cooper trade was not the only move that Dallas made to free up cap space. They also had to release kicker Greg Zuerlein and tight end Blake Jarwin. Not only that, but they are reportedly looking to trade offensive tackle La’el Collins as well.

The Cowboys will now have to find a way to add more weapons in the passing game with Cooper gone. Perhaps the best and most affordable way to do so is by using their first-round pick this year on one of top wide receivers available when they are on the clock.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Maybe Fitzgerald's prime was before you discovered the NFL ? He's widely regarded as one of the greats and has stats to back it up, all of which were accrued in mostly average teams.
Once again: inflated stats because, while obviously being very talented, he was the WR1 on his team for a very long time. Like I said, production is not equal to talent. Antonio Brown and Julio Jones easily eclipse him in terms of talent, but neither of them would likely surpass him on a GOAT list.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@MrMarcello

I was just going to ask if anyone could see a market for Dalvin Cook and his contract? I'm totally against RBs having that type of contracts, it makes no sense and they can almost destroy a team, the same applies with paying a NT 10m like Pierce currently is. But that Elliott contract is an even bigger blunder.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Once again: inflated stats because, while obviously being very talented, he was the WR1 on his team for a very long time. Like I said, production is not equal to talent. Antonio Brown and Julio Jones easily eclipse him in terms of talent, but neither of them would likely surpass him on a GOAT list.
As well they shouldn't because they didn't produce for the protracted period as Fitzgerald did. AB will be lucky to get into Canton at this rate given his off the field problems.

Jack-C20

We seemed to cope well enough without him last year but he’s a likeable guy so it’s a shame to see him go.

Not sure what to make of everything so far. Prepared myself for a bit of a rebuild but Rodgers staying and Adams potentially going puts us in a weird position I feel.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It probably lingers because its an actual thing.

An article from November, in which it says:

For what it's worth, Beckham's teammates who spoke to the media Thursday indicated a preference that OBJ stays in Cleveland.

"If he wants to come back and be part of the team, I'm sure we'd welcome him with open arms," guard Joel Bitonio said.

Safety John Johnson: "I feel like the majority of this locker room would love to have him in this building. Flat out."

One unnamed player, however, relayed this message to Garafolo: "He does nothing. He talks to no one. He's just got a malcontent attitude."
So one unnamed player (probably Mayfield) versus virtually every other teammate he’s ever had who has spoken publicly about what a great teammate he is.

It’s bullshit.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
An article from November, in which it says:

So one unnamed player (probably Mayfield) versus virtually every other teammate he’s ever had who has spoken publicly about what a great teammate he is.

It’s bullshit.
It could be, but it is out there and we may never know the veracity of it given that he probably had his share of proponents and critics in Browns locker room. His demeanor in LA next year will tell a lot about his attitude given that he could be the #3 receiver in targets next year.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
We seemed to cope well enough without him last year but he’s a likeable guy so it’s a shame to see him go.

Not sure what to make of everything so far. Prepared myself for a bit of a rebuild but Rodgers staying and Adams potentially going puts us in a weird position I feel.
It's just a sensible decision considering the ascent of Gary and our overall cap situation. Shame for losing Smith, though. Was a really good player for us.
Think this might help getting a long term contract done with Adams. We need every bit of cap space we can get.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Billy Turner also gone. Looks like we are creating space for Adams.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

I would really have thought Rodgers staying hinged on Adams staying too. He certainly alluded to his decision impacting on what Adams decides to do a while ago. No idea how they can afford both, but they seem to have done some impressive cap manipulation so far.

It seemed obvious Adams wouldn't play on the cap, and I'm sure the Packers knew this too, which makes me think a deal can be done.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Cappa to Bengals. Brady without both his guards.

Jack-C20

It's just a sensible decision considering the ascent of Gary and our overall cap situation. Shame for losing Smith, though. Was a really good player for us.
Think this might help getting a long term contract done with Adams. We need every bit of cap space we can get.
Gary has always excited me. An absolute unit who will hopefully only improve with more and more experience.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
How much of a loss is Turner?
Very solid pass blocker. We will miss him. But I‘m also confident that we will be able to replace him. The Packers are really good at drafting and developing offensive linemen.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Very solid pass blocker. We will miss him. But I‘m also confident that we will be able to replace him. The Packers are really good at drafting and developing offensive linemen.
That’s for sure - always very good upfront

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
When the league allows your Olinemen to hold things are bit easier.;)

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
RB at Miami and WR in Cleveland we’re two spots fantasy folks we’re laser focused on regarding the draft (for good or bad expected outcomes). I wonder how recent news changes that.

Garrett Wilson or best WR available to help Baker with his last chance seemed inevitable.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
RB at Miami and WR in Cleveland we’re two spots fantasy folks we’re laser focused on regarding the draft (for good or bad expected outcomes). I wonder how recent news changes that.

Garrett Wilson or best WR available to help Baker with his last chance seemed inevitable.
Garrett Wilson to the Browns would be devastating. And yeah, I'd hoped Breece Hall would get Day 1 or Day 2 draft capital to the Dolphins - now best outcome seems to be that Fournette and Jones feck off in Tampa and he gets drafted there but that's unlikely imo.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Trubisky to the Steelers on a 2-year deal. Smart move.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Garrett Wilson to the Browns would be devastating. And yeah, I'd hoped Breece Hall would get Day 1 or Day 2 draft capital to the Dolphins - now best outcome seems to be that Fournette and Jones feck off in Tampa and he gets drafted there but that's unlikely imo.
We'll lose Jones, but Lenny just might stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.