NFL 2023

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon

Good to know that wearing a Jesus coat is where Adrian Peterson draws the line...

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Shhh…some people can’t do that math (those maths?), and I might need to draft him eventually.

Besides, it’s not really the height that is the big thing with him; I think he’ll come in right around 6’.
Of the 301 QBs drafted in the last 25 years, only 2 were <6’0 and <200lbs, neither was taken in the first 100 picks.

I dunno how he’ll hold up in the NFL to be honest…

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Of the 301 QBs drafted in the last 25 years, only 2 were <6’0 and <200lbs, neither was taken in the first 100 picks.

This.

What was his ‘official’ height at Alabama? He will come in about an inch shorter at the combine.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

This just leaves me wondering how many cheeseburgers Murray ate in the weeks before the combine to get to 207. :lol:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
He’ll measure a smidge under 6’ at the combine.
I’ve seen as small as 5’9 mentioned on Twitter :lol: But yeah, college measurements are always quite generous for players. If he’s listed baaarely above 6’0 it’s likely more symbolic than anything, and he’s actually below that.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
The height isn’t ideal. But then, players like Wilson and Brees who are similar height perhaps (assuming his college measurement isn’t THAT wide off the mark) show it’s possible. But his frame combined with his height makes it very problematic.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
The moronic internet hivemind have now decided Mahomes is the goat. At least he's talented I guess.
That's what happens when you do things no one has ever done before. Like being the MVP, SBMVP and leading the league in yards and TDs all in the same season. There's like 3 guys who have accomplished all those 4 things across their entire careers.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
That's what happens when you do things no one has ever done before. Like being the MVP, SBMVP and leading the league in yards and TDs all in the same season. There's like 3 guys who have accomplished all those 4 things across their entire careers.
All of those things depend on the quality of coaching and supporting cast. Which is essentially just luck. Mahomes has the best offensive coach of the last twenty years. He also has the best tight end in history.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
All of those things depend on the quality of coaching and supporting cast. Which is essentially just luck. Mahomes has the best offensive coach of the last twenty years. He also has the best tight end in history.
Nah, this ain't it bud. Andy Reid is a brilliant offensive coach, but before Mahomes came into his life, he was the guy who couldn't win the big game. The Chiefs just won with Mahomes taking up 17% of the salary cap, no team has ever won the SB before with a QB taking up any more than 13%. The Chiefs had the 16th ranked scoring defense in the league: most SB champions have a scoring D ranked at least in the top 10 (as the losing team Philly did). In other words, you can put players around him that are not even that good (and thus cheap) and he still wins.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
There is a paradox somewhere in that post though. If you're in the debate for GOAT QB, surely the standing of your HC will be elevated just because you're likely to win him a lot of games since you're super talented. Belichick likely isn't the best HC in history without Brady - or you can argue that Brady would be nowhere near the GOAT without BB, but can they both be true at the same time?

Reid is an offensive genius, no doubt about it, but he has one SB appearance (and loss) to show for it before Mahomes came along, since then he's been to 3 in 5 years and won 2. I also think McVay and Shanahan are still ahead of Reid, and would have similar if not better success with Mahomes. You could make a case for a few others like Pederson as well imo. So yeah Reid is great but at what point do you attribute part of his "greatness" to his uber-talented QB, especially since he couldn't get over the hump before Mahomes?

Mahomes' supporting cast was weak this season as well. Jet McKinnon and a 7th round rookie RB in the backfield, his WR1 a player barely any team wanted who hadn't put up a good season since AB went rogue, MVS, a rookie WR, and always-injured Toney. Of course there's Kelce yeah, but you have to have someone reliable to throw the ball to. Not like Hurts didn't have AJB/Smith, Purdy had Kittle/Deebo/Aiyuk, Burrow had Chase/Tee/Boyd, all better receivers than what Mahomes had to work with imo.

The only argument against Mahomes for being in the GOAT conversation is rings and longevity - Brady has 7 and all the personal records, which Mahomes doesn't have. If he retires tomorrow he's not in the GOAT debate, it's that simple. But if anyone (right now) has a claim towards the title, it's him.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
There is a paradox somewhere in that post though. If you're in the debate for GOAT QB, surely the standing of your HC will be elevated just because you're likely to win him a lot of games since you're super talented. Belichick likely isn't the best HC in history without Brady - or you can argue that Brady would be nowhere near the GOAT without BB, but can they both be true at the same time?

Reid is an offensive genius, no doubt about it, but he has one SB appearance (and loss) to show for it before Mahomes came along, since then he's been to 3 in 5 years and won 2. I also think McVay and Shanahan are still ahead of Reid, and would have similar if not better success with Mahomes. You could make a case for a few others like Pederson as well imo. So yeah Reid is great but at what point do you attribute part of his "greatness" to his uber-talented QB, especially since he couldn't get over the hump before Mahomes?

Mahomes' supporting cast was weak this season as well. Jet McKinnon and a 7th round rookie RB in the backfield, his WR1 a player barely any team wanted who hadn't put up a good season since AB went rogue, MVS, a rookie WR, and always-injured Toney. Of course there's Kelce yeah, but you have to have someone reliable to throw the ball to. Not like Hurts didn't have AJB/Smith, Purdy had Kittle/Deebo/Aiyuk, Burrow had Chase/Tee/Boyd, all better receivers than what Mahomes had to work with imo.

The only argument against Mahomes for being in the GOAT conversation is rings and longevity - Brady has 7 and all the personal records, which Mahomes doesn't have. If he retires tomorrow he's not in the GOAT debate, it's that simple. But if anyone (right now) has a claim towards the title, it's him.
That's not really a paradox though, you just suggested it goes both ways. Which is obvious. However that doesn't go against my point, and it is exactly why 'GOAT' conversations bore me. It should be about the best player, not the one with the best legacy/career which is determined by outside factors.

Say a 100m sprinter ran it in 9 seconds then died in a freak accident. Then someone else came along like Bolt and won gold in three straight Olympics running 9.5s. Why should anyone rate the latter over the former? It makes no sense, and yet this is what has happened in many of these 'GOAT' conversations, particularly in the NFL with Brady. It has resulted in him being rated above the likes of Marino, Rodgers, Young, Manning who are all far more talented and better at the sport, but don't have the same number of championships. In a team sport, with a short schedule, which is heavily impacted by coaching schemes and outright luck.

I think Mahomes is certainly up there with the best ever. I just found it moronic that the general opinion on him has further skyrocketed after the Superbowl. Had the holding call been dismissed the exact same internet hivemind would be gushing over Hurts and the opinion on Mahomes would likely not have changed a great deal (perhaps even lowered despite his performance). That is what I take umbridge with.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert

Agree with a lot of what you've said here. I think the key is that Mahomes has done more in his first six seasons than any QB in history. That's why people are projecting in that way. Brady had 3 rings early on but he did it with much better defenses and he didn't have any of the personal accolades e.g. multiple MVPs, multiple 1st team All Pros, offensive POTY, 50 touchdown seasons, 5000 yard seasons etc. Because in those earlier years he was called upon to manage the game. He didn't explode as a QB numbers wise until 07.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
That's not really a paradox though, you just suggested it goes both ways. Which is obvious. However that doesn't go against my point, and it is exactly why 'GOAT' conversations bore me. It should be about the best player, not the one with the best legacy/career which is determined by outside factors.

Say a 100m sprinter ran it in 9 seconds then died in a freak accident. Then someone else came along like Bolt and won gold in three straight Olympics running 9.5s. Why should anyone rate the latter over the former? It makes no sense, and yet this is what has happened in many of these 'GOAT' conversations, particularly in the NFL with Brady. It has resulted in him being rated above the likes of Marino, Rodgers, Young, Manning who are all far more talented and better at the sport, but don't have the same number of championships. In a team sport, with a short schedule, which is heavily impacted by coaching schemes and outright luck.

I think Mahomes is certainly up there with the best ever. I just found it moronic that the general opinion on him has further skyrocketed after the Superbowl. Had the holding call been dismissed the exact same internet hivemind would be gushing over Hurts and the opinion on Mahomes would likely not have changed a great deal (perhaps even lowered despite his performance). That is what I take umbridge with.
I think I misunderstood your point. Are you saying that Mahomes is the same guy he was last week but now all of a sudden he's 'the GOAT' because his team won a close game in the Super Bowl?
I thought you were just annoyed that he was prematurely being compared to TB12.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
By the way, the NFL Films video for the Super Bowl is freaking epic. It is ruined a bit by the penalty at the end though, I have to say. And you do end up feeling very sorry for Jaspn Kelce and Hurts especially

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
By the way, the NFL Films video for the Super Bowl is freaking epic. It is ruined a bit by the penalty at the end though, I have to say. And you do end up feeling very sorry for Jaspn Kelce and Hurts especially
I think the penalty was definitely a hold, but it was very harsh considering how lenient the referees were on holding calls all game. It's easy to see why Bradberry took the chance. O-line holding was just flat-out ignored, and both sides got away with similar holds to Bradberry's throughout. Despite it technically being the right call, it's a shame we didn't get to see Hurts try to get down the field in 90 seconds with 1 time out (I think?). The final drive in a 1 score game is not only the best spectacle in the NFL, but perhaps even all sports. It would have rounded off what was a very good Super Bowl, whether they scored or not.

Personally, I don't think they get down the other end and score, but it would have been good to see the attempt.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports

The question I ask myself is: if the Giants didn't sign him to this contract, would any other NFL team do it? If I were another team I'd rather just try and move up in the draft to get a rookie QB.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
35 m for a bad qb. .. wow

HTG

Supports
Bayern
What are the odds Someone like Daniel Jones can ever justify such a contract with his performances? Slim to none, I believe. Really bad business.

In similar yet not that bad news, the Packers restructured the contract of Aaron Jones. He will now cost us 11 million instead of 15 million for the next season. In my opinion still too much for a running back.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I think I misunderstood your point. Are you saying that Mahomes is the same guy he was last week but now all of a sudden he's 'the GOAT' because his team won a close game in the Super Bowl?
I thought you were just annoyed that he was prematurely being compared to TB12.
Altodevil will conjure up any reasoning imaginable to justify his hatred of Tom Brady.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I think the penalty was definitely a hold, but it was very harsh considering how lenient the referees were on holding calls all game. It's easy to see why Bradberry took the chance. O-line holding was just flat-out ignored, and both sides got away with similar holds to Bradberry's throughout. Despite it technically being the right call, it's a shame we didn't get to see Hurts try to get down the field in 90 seconds with 1 time out (I think?). The final drive in a 1 score game is not only the best spectacle in the NFL, but perhaps even all sports. It would have rounded off what was a very good Super Bowl, whether they scored or not.

Personally, I don't think they get down the other end and score, but it would have been good to see the attempt.
Yes, I think people wanted to see if Jalen and the birds could do it. I agree that it was a tall order with their type of offense and the lack of time but you never know.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
@altodevil , why do you hate Brady? I was not aware of this
You thought he was annoyed that Mahomes was prematurely being compared to TB12. He's probably more annoyed that you're comparing someone who hasn't committed war crimes to Brady.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports

On the one hand they've seemingly perfected the QB sneak so why should they be punished for being so good at it. On the other hand it's kinda lame. I do think it could be dealt with by the officials blowing the play dead instead of waiting 2 seconds from the initial contact where Hurts is just chilling at the backend going no where before he's shoved by the guys behind him forwards.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

The question I ask myself is: if the Giants didn't sign him to this contract, would any other NFL team do it? If I were another team I'd rather just try and move up in the draft to get a rookie QB.
I'm not comfortable giving him this much.

He had a good season with us but he's not that good to take a huge chunk of cap space.

Jesus, are we going to pull up the Brinks truck for Barkley too...

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I'm not comfortable giving him this much.

He had a good season with us but he's not that good to take a huge chunk of cap space.

Jesus, are we going to pull up the Brinks truck for Barkley too...
That would be a colossally bad move to do so for Barkley now that Jones has that high of a salary