NFL 2023

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Even if Jones didn't have a high salary I'd be more comfortable finding a serviceable RB on the market and letting Barkley get paid elsewhere
Agree. He was touted as a generational talent iirc, has had flashes of brilliance between the injuries, but his output could be found elsewhere with other players.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Does he have ties to Washington? Odd move unless he’s promised to be HC there next?
This will be his first play calling OC position iirc. Perhaps not having that seasoning was what potential employers as a HC were afraid of these past few off seasons?

whitbyviking

This will be his first play calling OC position iirc. Perhaps not having that seasoning was what potential employers as a HC were afraid of these past few off seasons?
Thanks! I hadn’t realised he wasn’t play calling. He’s been touted so much as the next HC off the production line the last few years I thought he was further up the chain already.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Thanks! I hadn’t realised he wasn’t play calling. He’s been touted so much as the next HC off the production line the last few years I thought he was further up the chain already.
If he has a quality OC season, he’s gone from Washington after one year, I bet. This doesn’t seem like it is a long term gig (unless there’s a continuity plan in place).

whitbyviking

If he has a quality OC season, he’s gone from Washington after one year, I bet. This doesn’t seem like it is a long term gig (unless there’s a continuity plan in place).
Without knowing the detail on the play calling that was my immediate guess. HC in 1-2 years type agreement.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He has called plays for KC (Mahomes and Reid have said as much)

There is no logical reason he isn't head coach already somewhere

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I guess everyone has these but one of the joys of this season was seeing Pacheco develop. In his first game it was "wow, who the feck is this guy" and this eventually went to "wow, why doesn't anyone know who this guy is?" I hope he can stay injury free this year because his angry running is a key of part of our running game with the other being McKinnon who is an amazing blocker and pass catcher.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
He has called plays for KC (Mahomes and Reid have said as much)

There is no logical reason he isn't head coach already somewhere
Don’t think he has ever had an offense solely under him. That might be what is holding him back.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Wanted to spread his wings, I guess…

He sometimes calls plays but he'll never get the credit for anything our offense does with Andy Reid as HC. Hope he does well, he's learnt from the best.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
If i was him i would've stayed and win a few more rings

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Don’t think he has ever had an offense solely under him. That might be what is holding him back.
That has not prevented lesser qualified OCs/DCs/position coaches from getting HC jobs before.

If i was him i would've stayed and win a few more rings
He should have stayed, won a few more rings, and exposed the hypocrisy of NFL owners more and more.

Washington is a high risk job, with no good QB... If he fails, he won't get the benefit of the doubt

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
That has not prevented lesser qualified OCs/DCs/position coaches from getting HC jobs before.

He should have stayed, won a few more rings, and exposed the hypocrisy of NFL owners more and more.

Washington is a high risk job, with no good QB... If he fails, he won't get the benefit of the doubt
Or maybe he’s a fecking asshole who can’t interview worth a shit.

It’s gotta be something.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
Or maybe he’s a fecking asshole who can’t interview worth a shit.

It’s gotta be something.
He must not interview well. Demeco Ryans, for example, got picked up the first chance he was available.
Absolutely woeful at interviews. Unless it's an interview for an offensive coordinator job, then he's shit hot at interviews.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Absolutely woeful at interviews. Unless it's an interview for an offensive coordinator job, then he's shit hot at interviews.
Getting a lateral OC job after already being a successful one would seem to be much easier. This time, he gets to call his own plays, so I can see him doing one year and leaving if things go well.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
Getting a lateral OC job after already being a successful one would seem to be much easier. This time, he gets to call his own plays, so I can see him doing one year and leaving if things go well.
If the reason for him not getting head coaching jobs is the scepticism that he ever called plays for the Chiefs (as many people believe is the issue), I don't see why that wouldn't also be an issue for getting another offensive coordinator job elsewhere though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If the reason for him not getting head coaching jobs is the scepticism that he ever called plays for the Chiefs (as many people believe is the issue), I don't see why that wouldn't also be an issue for getting another offensive coordinator job elsewhere though.
I agree. I think he will have a much better chance to show his capabilities under Rivera next year and in a system where he, as OC, calls plays. If they improve from 8-8 and make it into the playoffs, he will be gone the following year since the final excuse for him not getting head coach job will be removed (even though its a silly excuse given that others have become head coaches despite working under Reid)

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I agree. I think he will have a much better chance to show his capabilities under Rivera next year and in a system where he, as OC, calls plays. If they improve from 8-8 and make it into the playoffs, he will be gone the following year since the final excuse for him not getting head coach job will be removed (even though its a silly excuse given that others have become head coaches despite working under Reid)
We all know that if EB was white he would have been a Head Coach years ago. It's hilarious to see people tying themselves up in knots trying to explain away the obvious. 'He doesn't call plays'. What you mean like less successful Reid OCs Nagy and Pederson didn't call plays? 'He doesn't interview well' Ern, a white OC that was a two time SB champion could go into a room and literally slap the interviewer and someone would still give him a HC shot.

It's a disgrace and the NFL has a real problem. ..

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
We all know that if EB was white he would have been a Head Coach years ago. It's hilarious to see people tying themselves up in knots trying to explain away the obvious. 'He doesn't call plays'. What you mean like less successful Reid OCs Nagy and Pederson didn't call plays? 'He doesn't interview well' Ern, a white OC that was a two time SB champion could go into a room and literally slap the interviewer and someone would still give him a HC shot.

Don’t think you are wrong at all. We are only one, maybe two generations removed from Blacks can’t be good quarterbacks & basically forget about them coaching at a high level (coordinators or head coach). Sure there were the outliers in both, but the anti-Black DNA was very pervasive in the NFL in those regards & it’s gonna take more generations & more HCs like Arians & Reid to be stalwarts for improving the situation.

I think things are progressing towards bettering that situation, but it feels too slow currently.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Don’t think you are wrong at all. We are only one, maybe two generations removed from Blacks can’t be good quarterbacks & basically forget about them coaching at a high level (coordinators or head coach). Sure there were the outliers in both, but the anti-Black DNA was very pervasive in the NFL in those regards.

I think things are progressing towards bettering that situation, but it feels too slow currently.
The problem is the NFL can't force owners to hire black candidates as a quota. The likes of Jerry Jones (who is the most powerful NFL owner at the moment) would obviously ignore that and select whoever they want, as would most of the others - many simply as a middle finger to anyone attempting to coerce them to hire someone they don't feel is a good candidate.

Below is the latest re: the Rooney Rule.

In recent years, the Workplace Diversity Committee has proposed additional changes to strengthen the Rooney Rule, including:

1. Clubs must interview at least two diverse candidates from the Career Development Advisory Panel list, or a diverse candidate not currently employed by the club.
  2. Clubs must conduct an in-person interview with at least one external minority candidate for any GM or head coaching interview.
  3. Clubs must continue to consider multiple diverse candidates.
  4. Clubs must maintain complete records and provide them to the league upon the Commissioner’s request.
  5. If the final decision maker is involved from the beginning of the hiring process, they must be involved through the conclusion of the process.
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell stated that the updates “bolster the current Rooney Rule requirements and are intended to create additional opportunities for diverse candidates to be identified, interviewed, and ultimately hired when a vacancy becomes available.”

The committee also supported new accountability measures to ensure that all teams follow the procedures outlined in the rule.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Hackett didn’t call plays, and he got a HC job with no issue.

Although he’s not helped the cause for other OCs in a similar situation :lol:

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Don’t think you are wrong at all. We are only one, maybe two generations removed from Blacks can’t be good quarterbacks & basically forget about them coaching at a high level (coordinators or head coach). Sure there were the outliers in both, but the anti-Black DNA was very pervasive in the NFL in those regards & it’s gonna take more generations & more HCs like Arians & Reid to be stalwarts for improving the situation.

Yes it is at least better than it was. More work to do.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Hackett didn’t call plays, and he got a HC job with no issue.

Although he’s not helped the cause for other OCs in a similar situation :lol:
Absolutely and that's what's so annoying. He got a shot basically because he was Aaron Rodgers's buddy. That was LaFleur's offense.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
The problem is the NFL can't force owners to hire black candidates as a quota. The likes of Jerry Jones (who is the most powerful NFL owner at the moment) would obviously ignore that and select whoever they want, as would most of the others - many simply as a middle finger to anyone attempting to coerce them to hire someone they don't feel is a good candidate.

Below is the latest re: the Rooney Rule.
Yes, but they don't feel that they're good enough candidates because they're black. That's the problem. They don't want a black person running the team. If you look at the actual qualifications, there's no difference, in fact some white candidates are less qualified. You're right that the owners can't be forced to do anything, but we have to acknowledge that a large proportion of the owners have pernicious racial biases.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
If you can produce the name of a white Super Bowl champion offensive coordinator who can't get a shot (just a shot mind you....not a Gruden style 10 year deal) at being a head coach then there is reason for your doubt. I'll give you double points for a white OC who is a two-time Super Bowl champion that can't get a HC gig. If you can't find anybody then I'd gently suggest that you don't actually understand what's going on here. Willing to listen to any analogous examples you are willing to provide.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
@WeePat and other Aints fans - what do you make of Rashid Shaheed and his potential in the offense moving forward?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
@WeePat and other Aints fans - what do you make of Rashid Shaheed and his potential in the offense moving forward?
If you want my objective opinion on something, you better come correct man :nono:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Regarding Bienemy the one valid thing that I remember hearing against him is linked to his character and the way he interacts with people. He is an old school hardass and easily rubs people the wrong way. With the Vikings someone like Peterson liked it but many didn't, as a position coach or coordinator it's manageable but as a head coach things can do sideway quickly.

To give people an example, he is in the Mike Zimmer category. It took Zimmer an eternity to get an opportunity despite a ring and play calling experience.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I hate autocorrect :wenger:
I'm just messing with you. He's a good player. I really like him. He's come up clutch in several situations last season. That said, with Olave and potentially Michael Thomas returning hopefully injury free, perhaps Jarvis Landry, he will probably get limited targets again.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Regarding Bienemy the one valid thing that I remember hearing against him is linked to his character and the way he interacts with people. He is an old school hardass and easily rubs people the wrong way. With the Vikings someone like Peterson liked it but many didn't, as a position coach or coordinator it's manageable but as a head coach things can do sideway quickly.

To give people an example, he is in the Mike Zimmer category. It took Zimmer an eternity to get an opportunity despite a ring and play calling experience.
Interesting comp but not the same thing. Zimmer won his ring decades ago as a position coach, not a coordinator. And he's a defensive guy. In the modern NFL when everyone is trying to hire an offensive HC (well not everyone but that's certainly the fashion) the fact that EB is the most successful OC in the league and yet is not a head coach is remarkable. Until you realise that the fashion is actually young, white offensive coaches.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I'm just messing with you. He's a good player. I really like him. He's come up clutch in several situations last season. That said, with Olave and potentially Michael Thomas returning hopefully injury free, perhaps Jarvis Landry, he will probably get limited targets again.
Thanks. I picked him up late last season in our dynasty league and he’s one of the options to cut loose but something telling me not to. Ended the season really well.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

#2 remains one of the most comically bad plays I have ever seen :lol: