NFL 2023

whitbyviking

By the way, I was out biking in Scotland at the weekend and saw a number plate BCB 496

Big Cock Brock
49ers

If that isn't fate I don't know what is :nervous::lol:

whitbyviking

Congrats Foley and Scarlett. Suck it the rest of you haters. Rematch against the goat in the bowl
I'll be in the house for the SuperBowl.

Going to be a nightmare though as the 2yr old will probably be getting up around the end of the game and I've got the kids on my own as the Mrs is off skiing :lol:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Well, fart. This is disappointing news to wake up to.

Line's already moved to SF +1 at some books in LV.

DavelinaJolie

Very. What a week for the offense to crap itself.

17 points against mahomes, none in the 2nd half and you don't win?
Yep. For the stupid defensive penalties, the offence should have at least tied the game at the end.

It's my fault I'm this pjssed, I allowed myself to get sucked in again. Sigh.

I just don't understand where the run game was, and why Lamar left so many rushing yards on the field.

Last edited:

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Yep. For the stupid defensive penalties, the offence should have at least tied the game at the end.

It's my fault I'm this pjssed, I allowed myself to get sucked in again. Sigh.

I just don't understand where the run game was, and why Lamar left so many rushing yards on the field.
It was just a classic case of bottling under the pressure, to be honest, across the board. And a lack of discipline.

Some of those penalties were really quite stupid. But also speaks to a team that couldn’t handle the occasion and emotion mentally. Sometimes it happens though.

The issue for Lamar is that it’s a few times now he’s looked a shadow of his regular season self in these big games. The 2nd and 10 throw into triple coverage for an INT was truly unforgivable. It was simply not needed, the team was moving the ball on offence, the defence had KC locked down, and so playing it aggressive but safe was what was needed. A field goal there would have taken it to one score. Instead the next drive was needed to get a FG to take it to one score. That one really changed the game for me.

Flowers rightly will get stick for the taunting and then idiotic hitting the bench, but the attempt to get in the end zone - meh, he was fighting for it and plenty of players have done that and succeeded. Looks bad in hindsight but I’d rather give credit to the defensive player.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Sick to my stomach. I put the game off when Aiyuk made that 50+ yard catch as there was no way the Niners wouldn't win after that.

Can't believe I'm going to have to root for Mahomes in a Super Bowl. Brock Purdy is so, so bad, we just cannot have him win a Super Bowl and get praised. At least Mahomes is HOF material.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Gutted the Super Bowl has been cancelled, oh well, onto the fun of free agency and countdown to the draft!

DavelinaJolie

Flowers rightly will get stick for the taunting and then idiotic hitting the bench, but the attempt to get in the end zone - meh, he was fighting for it and plenty of players have done that and succeeded. Looks bad in hindsight but I’d rather give credit to the defensive player.
I disagree on the fumble. The weather was pretty wet, there is absolutely no need to extend in that situation given there was time on the clock and they'd have had the ball around the two yard line. In these tight games ball security is so important, when you're ten down you take the yards. If it was with seconds left to tie the game, fine, but in that situation ball security should have been paramount.

Lamar's interception was plain stupid. I still don't get what he saw to go for that. But his decisions and throwing were off for chunks of the game, as I said before, the rushing yards he left on the field for no reason I can comprehend were ridiculous. I don't think I've ever seen his decision making when scrambling look so timid.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I disagree on the fumble. The weather was pretty wet, there is absolutely no need to extend in that situation given there was time on the clock and they'd have had the ball around the two yard line. In these tight games ball security is so important, when you're ten down you take the yards. If it was with seconds left to tie the game, fine, but in that situation ball security should have been paramount.

Lamar's interception was plain stupid. I still don't get what he saw to go for that. But his decisions and throwing were off for chunks of the game, as I said before, the rushing yards he left on the field for no reason I can comprehend were ridiculous. I don't think I've ever seen his decision making when scrambling look so timid.
Likely was waving his hand up in the air while he was triple teamed to be fair :lol:

And agree with you on the Flowers fumble. Take the yards and just go down at the one or two, you'll run it in afterwards with Lamar or Edwards. Reaching out like that is very dangerous, especially given the touchback rules.

DavelinaJolie

Final thing before I forget about the NFL until the draft.

6 running back carries. 6.

What the feck was Monken thinking?

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

Likely was waving his hand up in the air while he was triple teamed to be fair :lol:

And agree with you on the Flowers fumble. Take the yards and just go down at the one or two, you'll run it in afterwards with Lamar or Edwards. Reaching out like that is very dangerous, especially given the touchback rules.
It’s so easy to say that about the fumble in hindsight though. He’s caught it, running with good momentum, sees the end zone… it’s instinct to fight for yards and a touchdown. The same instinct which would otherwise take away from him or anyone as a player. You don’t think about those things in that situation.

What he could have done is done it more safely - he didn’t need to fully extend his hands to expose the ball like that, and perhaps that’s something he will learn. But no one is just going down there. It’s also not like he was being held and he recklessly held his hands out, he had the momentum and pace and space. It was just a very very good tackle, notwithstanding that bit if ignorance to extend the hands in that way.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Sick to my stomach. I put the game off when Aiyuk made that 50+ yard catch as there was no way the Niners wouldn't win after that.

Can't believe I'm going to have to root for Mahomes in a Super Bowl. Brock Purdy is so, so bad, we just cannot have him win a Super Bowl and get praised. At least Mahomes is HOF material.
The hate is so very weird.

Carl

It’s so easy to say that about the fumble in hindsight though. He’s caught it, running with good momentum, sees the end zone… it’s instinct to fight for yards and a touchdown. The same instinct which would otherwise take away from him or anyone as a player. You don’t think about those things in that situation.

What he could have done is done it more safely - he didn’t need to fully extend his hands to expose the ball like that, and perhaps that’s something he will learn. But no one is just going down there. It’s also not like he was being held and he recklessly held his hands out, he had the momentum and pace and space. It was just a very very good tackle, notwithstanding that bit if ignorance to extend the hands in that way.
Especially when you consider we're talking a matter of inches between a touchdown and fumble. Given the speed he was going I thought he'd probably just gotten in in real time.

Everyone loves to blame the person that fumbled, but it was an incredible play by the defensive back (I can't remember who it was)

whitbyviking

“so so bad” is just plain wrong. He might not be top 10 but he is more than competent. A legit dual threat, coming back from a serious injury and performing well beyond his “numbers”. Really don’t understand the hate for him.

Carl

It’s irrational.
It's not just @RobinLFC either (that could be his first post about Purdy for all I know) but there seems to be a large group of people saying the same kind of thing about Purdy. They celebrate his losses and give him no credit for his wins. I find it really peculiar.

Last pick in the draft. Seems a pretty sound guy. Lead his team to the superbowl. Its a great story.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
It's not just @RobinLFC either (that could be his first post about Purdy for all I know) but there seems to be a large group of people saying the same kind of thing about Purdy. They celebrate his losses and give him no credit for his wins. I find it really peculiar.

Last pick in the draft. Seems a pretty sound guy. Lead his team to the superbowl. Its a great story.
The "hate" (I don't hate him at all) is a direct reaction to the movement who had him in the MVP conversation and are overrating him. "So, so bad" was an exaggeration but he simply is not a good QB in my view, not even top 15 while loads of people in the media and social media are placing him way higher, undeservedly so imo. There really was a reason why he was the last pick in his draft.

"He took over when it mattered", "he won them the game while Lamar is 2-4 in the playoffs", the hyperboles are just too much. For each stat category he's 1st in and people like to point at, I can easily give a counter-example of e.g. how the Niners are head and shoulders above the rest in the league in scheming players open. He has a lot of INT-worthy throws that inexplicably get dropped by DBs, in both of their games in the playoffs now as well. His best throw yesterday hit a Lions DB in the face, his first 5 throws were 2 tipped balls and one that should've been intercepted.

He has the best RB in the game, one of the best route runners in the game, one of the best offensive HCs in the game, one of the best TEs in the game, one of the best LTs in the game, a WR/RB hybrid that regularly breaks the first 2-3 tackles aimed at him, and a stellar defense with All-Pros supporting him. This Niners team is absolutely stacked, even moreso than the 2020 version reaching the SB. Jimmy G is as average a QB as they come and they had them with a double-digit lead into the 4th quarter if I'm not mistaken. And once again the Niners are riding a bang average QB to the Super Bowl. The end result is all that matters of course but they escaped against the Packers and that sequence last night where they Lions dropped a ball on 4th down instead of taking a FG, then the lucky Aiyuk catch which should've been a game-sealing INT, then a botched hand-off leading to a fumble deep into the Lions own half, ... You make your own luck but I sincerely hope the Chiefs will execute better than that with a genuine quality QB leading them.

I'm biased as I really dislike the Niners but I dislike them because of all the undeserved praise Purdy received this season, I wasn't a believer beforehand and I'm definitely not a believer after watching him perform in the playoffs these last two weeks.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
“so so bad” is just plain wrong. He might not be top 10 but he is more than competent. A legit dual threat, coming back from a serious injury and performing well beyond his “numbers”. Really don’t understand the hate for him.
Perfectly proves my point above. He is miles off being a "legit dual threat".

Rushed 39 times for 144 yards in 16 regular season games. He had one game with more than 20 yards on the ground, and one game with more than 5 carries. And it was the same game.

For comparison, Baker Mayfield rushed 62 times for 163 yards in the regular season. Do you think he is a legit dual threat?

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
The "hate" (I don't hate him at all) is a direct reaction to the movement who had him in the MVP conversation and are overrating him. "So, so bad" was an exaggeration but he simply is not a good QB in my view, not even top 15 while loads of people in the media and social media are placing him way higher, undeservedly so imo. There really was a reason why he was the last pick in his draft.

"He took over when it mattered", "he won them the game while Lamar is 2-4 in the playoffs", the hyperboles are just too much. For each stat category he's 1st in and people like to point at, I can easily give a counter-example of e.g. how the Niners are head and shoulders above the rest in the league in scheming players open. He has a lot of INT-worthy throws that inexplicably get dropped by DBs, in both of their games in the playoffs now as well. His best throw yesterday hit a Lions DB in the face, his first 5 throws were 2 tipped balls and one that should've been intercepted.

He has the best RB in the game, one of the best route runners in the game, one of the best offensive HCs in the game, one of the best TEs in the game, one of the best LTs in the game, a WR/RB hybrid that regularly breaks the first 2-3 tackles aimed at him, and a stellar defense with All-Pros supporting him. This Niners team is absolutely stacked, even moreso than the 2020 version reaching the SB. Jimmy G is as average a QB as they come and they had them with a double-digit lead into the 4th quarter if I'm not mistaken. And once again the Niners are riding a bang average QB to the Super Bowl. The end result is all that matters of course but they escaped against the Packers and that sequence last night where they Lions dropped a ball on 4th down instead of taking a FG, then the lucky Aiyuk catch which should've been a game-sealing INT, then a botched hand-off leading to a fumble deep into the Lions own half, ... You make your own luck but I sincerely hope the Chiefs will execute better than that with a genuine quality QB leading them.

I'm biased as I really dislike the Niners but I dislike them because of all the undeserved praise Purdy received this season, I wasn't a believer beforehand and I'm definitely not a believer after watching him perform in the playoffs these last two weeks.
So biased AND bitter - that's quite a combination.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
So biased AND bitter - that's quite a combination.
Coming from a Niners fan :lol:

Enjoy the win, but I’d still be happy to hear where I’m wrong on him or why he should’ve been in the MVP discussion, if you are one of the believers.

Last edited:

Mike Smalling

I haven't really followed along this season, but I'm seeing a lot of memes about how most people want neither team to win. Why do people hate the 49'ers?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I haven't really followed along this season, but I'm seeing a lot of memes about how most people want neither team to win. Why do people hate the 49'ers?
I don't think people hate the 49ers, it's just that they have been good for a while and have lots of rivals in the NFC, so you are likely to see their fans comment on the 49ers.

Mike Smalling

I don't think people hate the 49ers, it's just that they have been good for a while and have lots of rivals in the NFC, so you are likely to see their fans comment on the 49ers.
Yeah ok. They haven't won it in forever, so I'm definitely going to be rooting for them! Also, McCaffrey is a beast.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Fans are shit, local fans I mean. Lived in SF for a few years in the late 90s & the fan base made me nauseous, the epitome of a 'prawn sandwich' bunch with delusional entitlement syndrome. Local Oakland fans were far superior in every aspect.

Mike Smalling

No one is preventing you from rooting for them. :)
Oh, I know. It was just suprising to me that people seemingly put them in the same group as the obvious villains that are the Chiefs. But again, this is coming from someone that haven't watched a single game this year :lol:

JPRouve

Scout
Oh, I know. It was just suprising to me that people seemingly put them in the same group as the obvious villains that are the Chiefs. But again, this is coming from someone that haven't watched a single game this year :lol:
How are the Chiefs villains?

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Coming from a Niners fan :lol:

Enjoy the win, but I’d still be happy to hear where I’m wrong on him or why he should’ve been in the MVP discussion, if you are one of the believers.
Fair point!

I just find it so strange that many people seem to be almost offended by Purdy. People are jumping on the Detroit fairy tale story, but not liking the fairy tale of Mr Irrelevant leading his team to the Super Bowl in his first full season as starter and after having off-season surgery for a potentially career-ending injury...whilst on the way breaking team records for passing yards, and being the highest ranked QB in the NFL across most of the major statistics.

No matter what he does, people are looking for an angle to discredit him:

He's just a system QB – ignoring the fact that other QBs have not performed anywhere close to as well in the same offense.
He just has good players around him – true, but no idea why this argument isn't equally applied to other QBs.
His receivers just pick up YAC yards that pad his stats – true, they are YAC machines - but they are dependent on him being able to hit them in stride so that they can pick up those additional yards. Jimmy G was unable to throw his receivers open, for example. Also, he is middle of the pack when it comes to YAC yards, yet at the very top when it comes to deep ball accuracy, rating, TDs etc. The fact that we have a deep-ball threat thanks to Purdy has really opened up our offense – and absolutely helps McCaffery and the run game.

There was also the opinion that he couldn't drag his team from behind and win a game. There were many games this year that weren't even close - thanks in part to Purdy's exceptional play. But as soon as he has a couple of not so good games – yet still manages to elevate his game when it matters and lead his team to a victory...people just criticise his performance instead. Reminds me of the quote: "If my critics saw me walking over water, they would say it was because I couldn't swim."

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Very. What a week for the offense to crap itself.

17 points against mahomes, none in the 2nd half and you don't win?
Not just the offense. I think your D played v well in the second half, however the completely unnecessary penalties you gave up through ill-discipline were ridiculous. I think the Chiefs were there for the taking – but the Ravens crumbled mentally.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Niners and Cowboys are the United and Liverpool of the NFL. Most fans, most success apart from the steelers and recently the patriots and also the most haters.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I was legit feeling nauseous last night after that loss. Doesn't help I know so many people who have filled the stands of Ford Field for year after year who despite being terrible never stopped supporting the team. I'm not sure many people understand how powerful that has been.

Doesn't help either I watched an interview with ARSB the day before where he talked about dying his hair blue (great guy btw) and being contacted/made aware of an old man in Hospice showing he did the same. AR and him connected over that. The man had been a lifelong fan of the Lions, was now on his deathbed (literally in the picture) and was laying there with blue hair because he finally got to see his team do well. Hopefully he didn't watch the game last night.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't get it either. I want to be entertained when I watch sports. Mahomes is one of the greatest entertainers the sport has ever seen.
Outside of being very good there is nothing wrong with the Chiefs. Now while I generally like the Lions and won't have much animosity toward them in the future, this season I really don't like the way some of their players have acted when it comes to player safety.

And yes the Hockenson injury makes me bias.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I don't get it either. I want to be entertained when I watch sports. Mahomes is one of the greatest entertainers the sport has ever seen.
He’s also a whiney little shit and gets a lot of highly favourable calls from the officials.

As a Broncos fan I’m always going to be rooting against a division rival.