g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

NFL Dynasty League

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
feck you tatos - I was $4 short

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
feck you tatos - I was $4 short
Hehe…I could only afford him because I came up short on DPJ.

I‘m eager to see if the other guy I spent ~1/3rd of my budget on, Zach Wilson, had his brain reset with his time off because I need someone to feed Elijah Moore.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
What are others’ favorite types of dynasty format? Now that I have gotten to a better place personally regarding it, I’m trying to learn more. I didn’t vote on the superflex poll earlier because I realized I didn’t really know enough to cast an honest vote.

I am seeing Superflex TE premium leagues and I’m intrigued.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
What are others’ favorite types of dynasty format? Now that I have gotten to a better place personally regarding it, I’m trying to learn more. I didn’t vote on the superflex poll earlier because I realized I didn’t really know enough to cast an honest vote.

Superflex is the way to go. It's the modern game. Probably 0.5PPR too. Personally I'd also have full roster scoring, not set lineups, but that's not as popular.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

@RobinLFC I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this here topic, if you can oblige me.

altodevil

So anyone can still take the Division 1 playoff spot technically. But given the 'points for' tiebreaker, Man of Leisure is all but in the playoffs. Which means the playoff teams are set.

The only remaining seeding implications:
- chetan takes the 5th seed if he wins and Eboue loses. Eboue takes the 5th seed if he wins or both him and chetan lose, due to the 'points for' tiebreaker.
- ManofLeisure can take the 3rd seed if he wins and RedIceland loses, due to the 'points for' tiebreaker.
- altodevil can take the 1st seed if he wins and JJ12 loses, due to the 'points for' tiebreaker.

Also - Jagga got rekt

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
So anyone can still take the Division 1 playoff spot technically. But given the 'points for' tiebreaker, Man of Leisure is all but in the playoffs. Which means the playoff teams are set.

The only remaining seeding implications:
- chetan takes the 5th seed if he wins and Eboue loses. Eboue takes the 5th seed if he wins or both him and chetan lose, due to the 'points for' tiebreaker.
- ManofLeisure can take the 3rd seed if he wins and RedIceland loses, due to the 'points for' tiebreaker.
- altodevil can take the 1st seed if he wins and JJ12 loses, due to the 'points for' tiebreaker.

Also - Jagga got rekt
Congrats to whomever draws me in the first round. Don't think I've ever seen a dominant team so destroyed by injuries.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I just realised @Man of Leisure has more PF than @JJ12 - but a 5-7 record rather than a 10-2 record :lol:

Dangerous in the playoffs.
I was trying to offload players early in the year because I gave myself no chance - I still have no real chance. Biggest fluke ever.

I beat the best team in the league twice by scoring 98 and 110 points :lol:

altodevil

What did we agree for the Week 14 byes etc?

Pause for a week and start playoffs Week 15?

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
What did we agree for the Week 14 byes etc?

Pause for a week and start playoffs Week 15?
I have no stake in the playoffs since my team is shite, but my take is that you should not pause and just keep going straight into playoffs. It minimises the risk of having more players in dead-rubber games because seeding etc. is already decided and the teams are therefore resting players. Counter to that though - are there still bye weeks in week 14? That might make that tricky.

altodevil

I have no stake in the playoffs since my team is shite, but my take is that you should not pause and just keep going straight into playoffs. It minimises the risk of having more players in dead-rubber games because seeding etc. is already decided and the teams are therefore resting players. Counter to that though - are there still bye weeks in week 14? That might make that tricky.
That's the reason why a move was suggested. There are 18 weeks this season, so 17 is essentially week 16 (although with a higher chance of seeding being tied-up already).

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
@RobinLFC I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this here topic, if you can oblige me.
There are so many interesting formats out there these days that it's hard to just pick one favourite. I don't know how your league is set up but I think it's pretty standard? I am only in one dynasty league (imo if you get past 3-4 total leagues the fun decreases because there are too many conflicting interests all over the board) and mine is pretty standard too, it's also hard to change the rules since no one initially drafted that way...

From what I've picked up in this thread there are two things I think you guys are doing wrong (but correct me if my understanding is wrong). The rules make is easy to tank but that greatly diminishes the competitiveness of the league. In mine, the draft order gets decided on OPF (optimal points for, a sort of best ball calculation). That way you have no benefit by leaving players on their bye in your starting line-ups etc., each team simply plays its strongest players because their points will count for your draft position anyway, be it on your bench or in your starting line-up. That way you don't have 5 teams competing for a ring and the other ones wanting to lose every game because imo that sucks (ours is a 16-team league with 4 divisions of 4 teams so pretty big as well).

Second thing is that we always do our rookie draft a week after the actual NFL draft, while I think you guys draft as close to the season as possible. Also makes sense, but if you hold your rookie draft right after the actual real life draft, it gives a benefit to the players who have been paying attention to college scouting, positional needs for NFL teams, stuff like that. Late August you can simply do your research for a few hours, read the best articles, and you're good to go. We always try to give as much advantage to the players who are in it all-year round.

Other take-aways:
- Obviously no D/ST in dynasty, no idea if that's the case for you guys
- I hate kickers because of its randomness, so my ideal format is without one (although we also have them in our league)
- Superflex makes a ton of sense because it puts more weight on the most important position on the actual football field, more of a real life resemblance. Of course it's not required because you draft based on your league's scoring system but still, it has gained a lot of popularity over the last few years. If your league isn't Superflex, you can adjust scoring for QBs (bonus points for total passing yardage, 6 points for passing TDs instead of 4, ...) to make them more important.
- TE premium, I take it you mean 1.5 PPR? I'm not in such a league, I'd rather we just accept that TE is a wasteland for fantasy purposes. You either take one of the top 4-5 options and get an extra receiver, or you wait until the final rounds and stream the position. Premium doesn't make that much of a difference anyway since there are just a few TEs who regularly catch more than 5 passes a game (which would give you an additional 2.5 points so little impact).
- I like additional FLEX spots because the more starting positions, the more you can make a difference, simple as that. Goes even more for redraft than dynasty but even there, just one additional FLEX spot can make a difference.
- Not sure about you guys, but we have taxi squads - basically a special kind of bench spots for players you drafted yourself. They can stay there for 2 seasons, after that you either need to elevate them to your active roster or drop them. Other players can poach players from your taxi squad by offering a draft pick in the same round as the round where you drafted the player in question (or more), you then have a week to accept the offer, give a counter-offer or elevate the player to your active roster. This system makes sure that there's enough movement on the waiver wire throughout the season because often in dynasty leagues, squads are simply too big for any relevant players to be available on the waiver wire (especially in a 16-team league like mine).
- Pay up for seasons for which you've already traded draft picks, but I think you are doing that
- No veto on trades unless there is obvious, obvious collusion. I have disagreed with many trades already but it's simply my own fault by not going out there enough and try to find players that others don't believe in anymore and get them on the cheap. Veto-ing trades is lame imo.
- 6-team POs, top two seeds byes in Week 15, POs taking place in Week 15-16-17.

altodevil

From what I've picked up in this thread there are two things I think you guys are doing wrong (but correct me if my understanding is wrong). The rules make is easy to tank but that greatly diminishes the competitiveness of the league. In mine, the draft order gets decided on OPF (optimal points for, a sort of best ball calculation). That way you have no benefit by leaving players on their bye in your starting line-ups etc., each team simply plays its strongest players because their points will count for your draft position anyway, be it on your bench or in your starting line-up. That way you don't have 5 teams competing for a ring and the other ones wanting to lose every game because imo that sucks (ours is a 16-team league with 4 divisions of 4 teams so pretty big as well).
Draft order in this league is based on potential points (same as optimal). Also there are $10 prizes for highest scoring team each week. Both seek to punish tanking. Setting uncompetitive or empty lineups is also covered in our rules and results in penalties or expulsion - see FloridaMan.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Draft order in this league is based on potential points (same as optimal). Also there are $10 prizes for highest scoring team each week. Both seek to punish tanking. Setting uncompetitive or empty lineups is also covered in our rules and results in penalties or expulsion - see FloridaMan.
Ah nice, the $10 prize is a great idea as well yeah!

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
There are so many interesting formats out there these days that it's hard to just pick one favourite. I don't know how your league is set up but I think it's pretty standard? I am only in one dynasty league (imo if you get past 3-4 total leagues the fun decreases because there are too many conflicting interests all over the board) and mine is pretty standard too, it's also hard to change the rules since no one initially drafted that way...

Second thing is that we always do our rookie draft a week after the actual NFL draft, while I think you guys draft as close to the season as possible. Also makes sense, but if you hold your rookie draft right after the actual real life draft, it gives a benefit to the players who have been paying attention to college scouting, positional needs for NFL teams, stuff like that. Late August you can simply do your research for a few hours, read the best articles, and you're good to go. We always try to give as much advantage to the players who are in it all-year round.

Other take-aways:
- Obviously no D/ST in dynasty, no idea if that's the case for you guys
- I hate kickers because of its randomness, so my ideal format is without one (although we also have them in our league)
- Superflex makes a ton of sense because it puts more weight on the most important position on the actual football field, more of a real life resemblance. Of course it's not required because you draft based on your league's scoring system but still, it has gained a lot of popularity over the last few years. If your league isn't Superflex, you can adjust scoring for QBs (bonus points for total passing yardage, 6 points for passing TDs instead of 4, ...) to make them more important.
- TE premium, I take it you mean 1.5 PPR? I'm not in such a league, I'd rather we just accept that TE is a wasteland for fantasy purposes. You either take one of the top 4-5 options and get an extra receiver, or you wait until the final rounds and stream the position. Premium doesn't make that much of a difference anyway since there are just a few TEs who regularly catch more than 5 passes a game (which would give you an additional 2.5 points so little impact).
- I like additional FLEX spots because the more starting positions, the more you can make a difference, simple as that. Goes even more for redraft than dynasty but even there, just one additional FLEX spot can make a difference.
- Not sure about you guys, but we have taxi squads - basically a special kind of bench spots for players you drafted yourself. They can stay there for 2 seasons, after that you either need to elevate them to your active roster or drop them. Other players can poach players from your taxi squad by offering a draft pick in the same round as the round where you drafted the player in question (or more), you then have a week to accept the offer, give a counter-offer or elevate the player to your active roster. This system makes sure that there's enough movement on the waiver wire throughout the season because often in dynasty leagues, squads are simply too big for any relevant players to be available on the waiver wire (especially in a 16-team league like mine).
- Pay up for seasons for which you've already traded draft picks, but I think you are doing that
- No veto on trades unless there is obvious, obvious collusion. I have disagreed with many trades already but it's simply my own fault by not going out there enough and try to find players that others don't believe in anymore and get them on the cheap. Veto-ing trades is lame imo.
- 6-team POs, top two seeds byes in Week 15, POs taking place in Week 15-16-17.
Yeah, I’m leaning anti-D/ST + K. It seems kind of pointless? We had a taxi squad but changed that; I don’t recall the reasons.

From what I’ve gathered, I don’t think this is far off from ideal: 1 QB / 12 Team / 1 PPR. Though 2 QBs in like a 10 team league would be an interesting change of pace.

RoadTrip

:lol: ffs, not that I was trying to tank but this means I will (based on current potential points) draft after JJ12, who is 10-2 and I’m 4-8 :lol:

Really what that shows is a) JJ12 is a lucky biatch and b) I obviously ain’t got a Solomon Kalou who should be in my line up :lol:

RoadTrip

I’m all for some of the changes eg. no D/ST, super flex. etc. My only real concern is how we would implement the transition since teams haven’t been built or planned with those changes in mind. So would almost need a transition period of at least one season if not two.

chetan

Superflex will only make sense if we re draft and start fresh which defeats the purpose of dynasty. I am ok either ways with D/ST

chetan

Are we talking about expansion? How in the name of god do you expand a dynasty league? Not against it, just intrigued how it works
Same question. How is the expansion going to work? Do we get to retain certain and rest go into the pool for the draft.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
I can’t see expansion working then? As the best players will never be available to new teams.
This is just a basic outline but...

Each of the 11 teams (throwing Florida Man out) will be able to protect 1 entire starting lineup. Additionally they can protect 1 backup RB and 1 backup WR. 1 QB, 4 RB 4 WR 1 TE.

So using my team as an example, I would protect

Murray
Henry
Swift
Taylor
Edwards
Hopkins
Woods
Smith
Claypool
Andrews

Which leaves the following open

Cousins
Hines
Hyde
Michel
Beckham
Collins
Hamler
Rodgers
Shepard
Slayton
Conklin
Hurst

Each of the 3 expansion teams would draft 1 player from each of the 11 other teams. So each current team loses 3 bench players. Florida man's roster would be put into the pool of available players also.

The 3 expansion teams would pick at the end of the first round and the beginning of all other rounds this year. They would each get supplemental picks at the end of rounds 2 3 4 5.

1 from each team is 11. 2 from Florida man's old team makes 13. 5 regular picks makes 18. 4 supplemental picks makes 22 for a full roster.

They would pay 50% fees in year 1. They would only be eligible for 50% of prizes in that year.

FAAB will be implemented with 100 for all current teams and 150 for expansion teams in year 1.

The 3 expansion teams would be bad but not horrible in year 1 and likely pick at the top of the draft year 2. Year 2 they would be treated like any other franchise and likely be pretty decent with the right management.

Divisions will be discussed obviously.

As always we are open to suggestions but we have against my expectations created a pretty good league. The next step is to improve activity and discussion on the forums on a regular basis. There have been multiple people who have reached out as interested in an expansion team. It makes sense to sustain the momentum of the league and improve it. With this setup none of the original owners loses a starter but the expansion teams aren't permanently crippled either.