NFL Thread 2013-14

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
Ronde Barber has retired. He had an outstanding career, extremely durable.

47 interceptions, eight touchdowns and 28 sacks in 241 games.

The only player in NFL history with 40-plus interceptions and 25 or more sacks.

The question is will the production lead to him being fitted for a yellow jacket?

Andrew~

Another Seattle player, Bruce Irvin (DE), has been suspended by the league after testing positive to using adderall. Clearly a trend here!

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
I am really really bummed about Crabs. The guy had a great season last year but was especially important on 3rd down. Bailed the team out time and time again both for Smith and Kaepernick. The Anquan Boldin acquisition now seems pretty smart in hindsight but the younger wide receivers definitely need to step up now.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Another week, another 'Jerry Jones opens his big fecking mouth' headline. If Garrett had any balls he'd walk out on his own like Parcells did. Granted there's only 32 of these jobs available and the likelihood of him being a HC for another NFL club is null.

Garrett is a lameduck. He's gone short of winning the conference and reaching the Super Bowl (though he should have been gone as soon as the last season ended for Dallas).

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...alling-debacle-makes-jason-garrett-look-clown

Then there is the leaked draft board and how it reveals they had Floyd rated high enough to draft him at the first round position they held yet traded out, then back in to grab some center that some clubs had rated third/fourth round. Yikes.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/co...w-the-leaked-draft-board-jerry-jones-idea.ece

With the mediocrity this club has achieved in the least 17 years, one would think the GM or CEO or "top man" would be gone at any other sports club or company. Must be really good to own the club/company AND call the shots while undermining your employees.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
ESPN sources: Tebow will sign with the Patriots.

I hope Bill is ready for the circus that will follow.

ha_rooney

Well this is a bit of a surprise.

I think Mallet is still with the Pats, so it seems Tebow has swallowed his ego and either accepted he's a backup or agreed to play a FB/RB role, which I think he can do. A bit of a gamble considering all the circus that comes with the clown.

It will feel strange cheering for Timmy.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Does anyone else think Tebow could play Tight End? He definitely has the physique for it. I guess if he practices his catching he could be an option.

ha_rooney

there will be no circus - he'll hardly play and he ain't challenging anyone for any positions. Mutually beneficial for both sides...
Where Tebow goes, the media will follow. Just take a glance at twitter and people are already going into muppet-mode.

If he is purely a backup, the Pats better announce that instead of doing what the Jets did last year and have everyone expecting him to play some part in games.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Tebow to the Pats?!

I.. I dunno what to make of this. Could be a good move if they can convince him to play TE or RB.

How good is Mallet? Never seen him do anything except kneel.

ha_rooney

Tebow to the Pats?!

I.. I dunno what to make of this. Could be a good move if they can convince him to play TE or RB.

He apparently has a rocket arm and is deemed a decent QB by a couple of articles I've read about him.

Mort is saying Tebow has signed as QB only, probably means Mallet will be moved on.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
Tebow to the Pats?!

Hard to tell, really. He's had a few snaps here & there, but Brady doesn't come out of games. Even dead rubbers. He has unbelievable arm strength, though.

As for Tebow: I'm surprised. Not a hope in hell he'll see snaps at quarterback: 1. He's not good enough to play there. 2. For the reason above- Brady doesn't come out of games...especially for someone who struggles to throw a spiral.

If he's comes in to be a running back/fb then it might be an interesting signing.

Neutral

BTV
Where Tebow goes, the media will follow. Just take a glance at twitter and people are already going into muppet-mode.

If he is purely a backup, the Pats better announce that instead of doing what the Jets did last year and have everyone expecting him to play some part in games.
No need to make any announcements - he is NOT taking away reps from Tom Brady ffs. He'll get what a couple of gimmicky plays a game? No - that won't do, he'll be playing another position...no matter what the Pats say about him being in mandatory QB camp.

As for the circus, yes the media will be around and there will be a zillion things said, ESPN will go into full on meltdown mode, but Tom Brady is not Mark Sanchez and the Pats are not the Jets.

ha_rooney

No need to make any announcements - he is NOT taking away reps from Tom Brady ffs. He'll get what a couple of gimmicky plays a game? No - that won't do, he'll be playing another position...no matter what the Pats say about him being in mandatory QB camp.

As for the circus, yes the media will be around and there will be a zillion things said, ESPN will go into full on meltdown mode, but Tom Brady is not Mark Sanchez and the Pats are not the Jets.
Of course he's not going to take snaps in place of Brady.

What I meant was, if he's purely a backup QB, it would be better for the Pats to say that now rather than have a situation where during the games, the crowd/press are calling for Tebow to be brought into the game as a RB/FB/TE. Just make it clear he's a backup QB full stop. Don't let it linger that he'll be brought in for specific plays/situations like the Jets stated.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
there will be no circus - he'll hardly play and he ain't challenging anyone for any positions. Mutually beneficial for both sides...

I'd be the first to agree with you if I felt like the majority of the Tebow Army was made up of rational fans. There won't be any QB controversy within the team, but Pats fans will now have to put up with a bunch of idiots clamoring for QB3 to start.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Mallet is legit. He was the #4 player in the country coming out of high school. He came to Michigan and was Chad Henne's backup as a true freshman. Then he got homesick and went back to Arkansas. Bobby Petrino came in as coach and Mallet lit it up in Petrino's offense before going to the NFL after his junior year. He has a cannon arm but only decent accuracy and little to no mobility.

He's only going there for mini-camp, after that is just speculation (or anyone's guess!). Two things for sure though, if anyone can handle the media circus that surrounds Tebow its the Patriots, and that Tebow will leave NE a better player.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
ESPN sources: Tebow will sign with the Patriots.

I hope Bill is ready for the circus that will follow.

It will be a much different situation, there is absolutely no expectations that Tebow will be there to compete with Brady for the starting QB position. Heck I would not even be surprised if he isn't used more as a running back/h-back type of player with his ability to throw the ball (okay not a great ability but an ability) an added weapon teams have to watch out for.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
It will be a much different situation, there is absolutely no expectations that Tebow will be there to compete with Brady for the starting QB position. Heck I would not even be surprised if he isn't used more as a running back/h-back type of player with his ability to throw the ball (okay not a great ability but an ability) an added weapon teams have to watch out for.

Basically play with two interweaving quarterbacks. Get them into some hot form, and you've got both their potential options combined..

ie
--------- Everyone Else ---------------
Tebow Other running back
Brady

Defending against that, if done right would be a nightmare.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
This might be the perfect situation for Tebow. Zero pressure, because like feck is he going to start over Brady, even Tebow fanbois aren't thick enough to expect that. Strong coaching system, a stellar player for Tebow to understudy and more time to dedicate to getting better.

If he's accepted a non QB role, all the better. He's got the physical stats for it.

Running back/half back with a throwing threat, while not a serious threat because any important shot would have to be thrown by Brady, perhaps it could get opposing teams to spread their defences thinner.

forevrared

The Pats throw like 4 TD passes a year to 300lb offensive linemen checked in as tight ends. They'll figure out some wrinkles to get the ball in Tebow's hands.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
Sigh.

I’ll take my chances with Brady, Gronkandez, Vereen and Ridley in the redzone and short yardage.

I'm sure he'd make plays here and there but third string developmental QB only, please.

Not a glorified fullback.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
"My No. 1 quarterback based on the film study I've done is (Syracuse's) Ryan Nassib. I like him overall more than Geno Smith," Cosell said Thursday on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft." "I think he's a much more precise intermediate thrower. I think the ball comes out with a little bit better velocity at the intermediate level. And I think he's a little more accurate. And I like his footwork a little bit better.

"No one here is at the (Andrew) Luck, RG3 level. Maybe not even the (Ryan) Tannehill level. At the end of the day, Nassib, at this point, would be the guy I like the most."

MrMarcello

Was said on some ESPN show yesterday that perhaps the Pats will look to shop Mallett around during camp, perhaps as they expect Nassib to be groomed as the eventual successor. And if they did trade Mallett, Tebow can be the backup for this season while Nassib learns for a year.

As for Tebow at RB/FB/HB/TE, I think it was Mangini or some other former coach on ESPN that stated he doesn't have the speed or lateral movement (something along these lines) to be an impact player at those positions.

MrMarcello

Btw, if a club wants a legit FB, they can now sign Vonta Leach, a three-time pro-bowler. FB is a dying breed but can still be utilized in some offensive packages (short-yardage and goal-line situations for example).

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Was said on some ESPN show yesterday that perhaps the Pats will look to shop Mallett around during camp, perhaps as they expect Nassib to be groomed as the eventual successor. And if they did trade Mallett, Tebow can be the backup for this season while Nassib learns for a year.

As for Tebow at RB/FB/HB/TE, I think it was Mangini or some other former coach on ESPN that stated he doesn't have the speed or lateral movement (something along these lines) to be an impact player at those positions.
Nassib is a NY Giant, mate.

ha_rooney

Aaron Hernandez is being questioned over the murder of an 'associate' near his house. Apparently he's being uncooperative, not that this makes him guilty. With Gronk having surgery after surgery, Welker gone, Amendola's injury record and now this potential issue, Brady may have no one to throw to.

Also, Ocho's jail sentence was ridiculous. 30 days (he served 7) for butt-slapping his lawyer!