NFL Thread 2019

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
This popped up on my YouTube and gave it a watch. Glad I did.

Also been watching the Cardinals All or Nothing series on Amazon. Really educational for an NFL noob like me.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
This popped up on my YouTube and gave it a watch. Glad I did.

Also been watching the Cardinals All or Nothing series on Amazon. Really educational for an NFL noob like me.
Thanks, that was fun. Weird atmosphere... not sure if it was the crowd (or lack of decent defence, especially early on) but felt like a practice game almost.

That first Cleveland TD was a 60 yard pass? (pass not total TD distance).... some arm. Liked that 2 point conversion play.

A couple of things it highlights about QBs ... (1) how tough they are. Matt Stafford got smashed and still came back (after a dodgy timeout allowed??). (2) there was one play in particular where you can see Stafford running across the pitch to make sure he throws behind the line of scrimmage.... the presence of mind QBs have to run, avoid opponents, look for plays and make them, all while being aware of the scrimmage line is amazing. Guess it's embedded in them by the time they reach the NFL.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Heart says Chiefs, but head says it could go either way. Part of me still finds it hard to believe you can win a Super Bowl without any semblance of a running game. This bias is prolly what's keeping me from being all in on Chiefs.

Still put $500 on the Chiefs moneyline at -125 mind you. :nervous: At the end of the day, Mahomes trumps everything.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It’ll be interesting if the Chiefs can stop the run & force Jimmy G to have to win the game. KC did a great job on Henry but the Niners run game is more dynamic & I'm expecting them to come up with various trick plays & use screen plays quite effectively. Both coaches are offensive geniuses so it should be a fun game.

The Niners are the better overall team (offense & defense) but I’m backing Mahomes to be the difference between the sides & KC to win a close one.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It’s an interesting test case, with the coaching being more or less even: do you take the great QB or the great defense?

It being the playoffs, I’m going with the latter.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Rooting for the Chiefs (well, Mahomes).

Think it’ll be close. If the chiefs get out to a good lead I think it’ll be difficult for the 49ers to come back.

If it’s the other way round, it’ll be heck exciting to see Mahomes going for it full throttle.

ha_rooney

Got a Sky Q box recently & was hoping SB would be 4K, but Sky are saying their feed will be HD only. Was looking forward to seeing the event (Shakira) in 4K glory.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Seems I'm in the minority as a Niners rooter. Also think they should be considered favourites, just the better all-around team. Mahomes accounts for a lot but he can't do it on his own (hopefully).

Seems I'm in the minority as a Niners rooter. Also think they should be considered favourites, just the better all-around team. Mahomes accounts for a lot but he can't do it on his own (hopefully).
No, me too. Agree good all-round and hoping the quality all across the defence gives them the edge .... multiple threats. Nice to see Liverpool and United fans get on? ,

Charlie Foley, Roland of Gilead too.

(Also surprised bookies still have Chiefs edging it - guess Mahomes swaying it? Tight though, basically both evens)

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
(Also surprised bookies still have Chiefs edging it - guess Mahomes swaying it? Tight though, basically both evens)
The Chiefs are the sexier team, so that is not a big surprise. The real shock is the big money coming in on the Chiefs and the over.

I thought the sharps would take the Niners and the under given the public fascination with Mahomes, but then I also said I’d take the under regarding LSU/OU and LSU/Clemson so I obviously know sweet feck all.

Sandyman

Think the Niners D will come out on top but rooting for Andy Ried and the Chiefs to win it

ha_rooney

Jackson the unanimous MVP. Only he & Brady have been unanimous winners.

I’m a bit surprised he was a unanimous choice. Thought Wilson would’ve got a vote or 2.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Jackson the unanimous MVP. Only he & Brady have been unanimous winners.

I’m a bit surprised he was a unanimous choice. Thought Wilson would’ve got a vote or 2.
Surprised but not hugely surprised either tbh.
Votes generally went how I expected. Except OROY maybe, I would have gone Jacobs over Murray.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
What's it like for the build up to this game in the US? Is it a bit like the FA Cup final in that there's basically a full day's worth of related coverage before the match?

Sylar

Cant wait for the Shakira show feating Jlo and the two teams :)

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
What's it like for the build up to this game in the US? Is it a bit like the FA Cup final in that there's basically a full day's worth of related coverage before the match?
Pretty much. I just watched a 10 minute segment on how special teams might impact this game. By noon they'll be at the practice squad level of scraping the barrel

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Pretty much. I just watched a 10 minute segment on how special teams might impact this game. By noon they'll be at the practice squad level of scraping the barrel
Cheers for the response. To be fair, special teams had a huge impact on the Chiefs vs Texans

Watched the NFL show last night (BBC) and they were showing footage from the Superbowl Launch Night earlier in the week. I took that to mean that that's the start of basically a week of stuff... shows, interviews, etc.

DavelinaJolie

Only HOF inductee I disagree with is Edge. Good RB but never thought he was that level. Think Faneca or Seymour should've had it.

As for MVP, it's a tricky one I think (even as a ravens fan). Wilson did more with less, and whilst Lamar made that offence better in all areas because of what he does on the ground, he does have a very good OL & RBs, and the best TE group in the league. I can get why he won it, and he put the team on his back in some games and willed them to win, but I think you can say the same of Wilson.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Snacks ready, beers ready, so fecking hyped. I wanna see Kittle push a few guys over, literally.

There’s two guys joining our regular crew for this. We made them promise to not ask questions and read up on the rules first, so hope they don’t annoy me during the game.

RedDevilRoshi

Wanting the 49ers to win but reckon the Chiefs will sneak it.

Overall, I hope it’s better than last years Super Bowl.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It’s an unofficial national holiday. If it were held midweek, everyone would be given the day off work.

...Unless you worked at a sports bar.