NFL Thread 2019

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Against the 49ers he threw 58 passes and was sacked 6 times. That's 64 dropbacks for 267 yards, which is insanely bad. 4.2 yards per drop back. It took a backup punt returner two fumbles to win that game.

Against the Cowboys he threw for 163 yards and won a playoff game. Its wild what kind of luck this guy had.

In the first super bowl he fumbled twice and threw an interception and was carried to a ring by a defense that held the greatest offense of all time to 14 points.

A journeyman wide receiver caught a pass on his helmet for fecks sake.

The real heroes of those teams are Strahan, Tuck, Umenyiora, Kiwaniuka, Pierre-Paul.

Eli Manning played 16 seasons and won a playoff game in only 2 of them.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Eli will always have the 2 Super Bowls to his name which is why he’s headed to the HoF. Not necessarily disagreeing with @Eboue’s claim that Romo was the better QB.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Eli will always have the 2 Super Bowls to his name which is why he’s headed to the HoF. Not necessarily disagreeing with @Eboue’s claim that Romo was the better QB.
No doubt about it. Despite being considered mediocre lately, he has the stats and rings to get the yellow jacket. He has thrown for over 100 TDs more than Dan Fouts (who is in Canton) who was a pretty prolific passer in his day.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Tom Brady has more play-off wins playing like shit than any other quarterback has play-off starts

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Zeke was drafted 4th overall and they drafted Dak in the 4th round of that same draft. They went from 4-12 to 13-3 and a playoff bye. Now I realize that finding a franchise QB in the latter rounds is a lottery and far from a sure thing but it does prove that there is no ONE blueprint at building a succesful team. Goff and Wentz were off the board when they had the 4th pick. Would they be better off now having chosen Ramsey instead of Zeke? I'm not convinced of that. Would they be better off now if they had "kept trying to find their franchise QB" and drafted one of the next four QB picked (Hackenberg, Kessler, Brissett or Lynch, of which only 1 player is currently on an actual NFL roster only three years later)? No they wouldn't be.
Dallas fluked it with Dak. Jerry was ready to trade back into the first round to grab Lynch only for Elway's genius thwarting such a dumb move. Think Jerry's son, Stephen, was against that trade as well but Elway saved their blushes.

I said it then and stand firm today - they should have drafted Ramsey. Zeke may be a top tier RB but he's also a knucklehead, and with that OL they can use 2-3 backs and still get great production.

MrMarcello

MrMarcello

I would put Foles and Eli as above average. I didn't watch the NFL for the other two bowl wins. Simms was a pro bowl quarterback which suggests at least above average no?

Eagles had an elite defense in 2017. Giantas certainly did in 2007, 2012.
Phil was a solid QB who likely would have put up great numbers playing for someone like Walsh.

lsd

The Oracle
How can anyone argue that Eli was better than Romo? Come on now.

He has to be rated higher for his two superbowls . If it were one you can argue but to do it twice showed he had more to offer when it mattered .

MrMarcello

He has to be rated higher for his two superbowls . If it were one you can argue but to do it twice showed he had more to offer when it mattered .
Would you rate Plunkett over Fouts?
Simms over Marino?

It's madness that SB wins defines QBs but no other field players. I get the argument that QBs are the face of the club/leader of the team but no QB has ever won a SB on his own. Some have carried a team to wins, that is true. Some have stepped up in the postseason, that is true. But many greats have been let down by subpar team performances despite their greatness (and many greats have also put in shit playoff performances).

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Simms over Marino?

It's madness that SB wins defines QBs but no other field players. I get the argument that QBs are the face of the club/leader of the team but no QB has ever won a SB on his own. Some have carried a team to wins, that is true. Some have stepped up in the postseason, that is true. But many greats have been let down by subpar team performances despite their greatness (and many greats have also put in shit playoff performances).
Aye, Elway's super bowl losses are the reason he was the best of all time, not the two wins at the end.

lsd

The Oracle
Simms over Marino?

I am a cowboys fan and i believe that you are remembered for your biggest success and Eli has two superbowls where he was named MVP in the final i believe .

Romo doesnt have anything that comes close to that sadly so Eli will be rates against him purely on that .

Whereas off course if you went by stats Romo is far better but when the game is on the line and there is s chance to win a superbowl stats do not come into it

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Simms over Marino?

My view here is there’s a balance that has to be struck between stats and rings. Fouts and Marino were so lopsidedly good that they are obviously considered far better than Simms, Hosteler, Doug Williams, Dilfer et al. In Manning’s case this sort of comparison isn’t really on the table since Eli has both two rings (like his Brother) and is in the top ten all time in yards and TDs (again like his brother). When combined that is easily enough to get him the yellow jacket. The only difference between him and his brother is that Peyton will probably make it in on first ballot.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Anyone reckon that Lamar Jackson can keep this level of throwing up all season?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Anyone reckon that Lamar Jackson can keep this level of throwing up all season?
He currently has an unsustainable 12.3% TD ratio and a 145.2 passer rating over the first two weeks so he will definitely regress a bit, but I think he'll be a top-8 QB this season yeah. He has faced two leaky secondaries as well so remains to be seen what he does against elite defences (of which he'll only face 2 or 3 all season so he'll definitely be alright imo).

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Can’t wait to see Lamar v Mahomes. Should be fun.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Trade target date for Ramsey is as soon as the day after tomorrow, fecking hell. I wonder where he'll end up.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
The only difference between him and his brother is that Peyton will probably make it in on first ballot.
The fact that Peyton was a far superior QB, probably the GOAT, and went out on a high should also be considered.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Wait til the Patriots lot see this...
The fact that Peyton is even in the conversation without having an average of 25 seconds to throw and playing the AFC East every season automatically makes him the GOAT in my opinion. Brady needed Belichick’s system. Peyton had his own.