N'Golo Kanté vs. Morgan Schneiderlin

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Every time Kanté's name is thrown out there as a desirable player for us, someone will come in and say 'but we have Schneiderlin, who is just as good' or words to that effect.

Let's try and throw out Morgan's form under LVG at United and compare the Kanté of the season just gone with the Schneiderlin who was at Southampton earning all the plaudits... who is the better player, and why?

Personally, I thought Schneiderlin was really good at Southampton, but Kanté looks like he can go on to be one of the best midfielders in the world of his type. A player that can enhance any team with his contribution. I never got that vibe from Schneiderlin, even though I wanted us to sign him at the time as he was clearly better than what United had in their ranks.

What say you?

prath92

Morgan did what Kante did and even a little more imo. He actually did it for more than a year too at this level. If both were available this year, I would take Morgan

Sereques

Every time Kanté's name is thrown out there as a desirable player for us, someone will come in and say 'but we have Schneiderlin, who is just as good' or words to that effect.

Let's try and throw out Morgan's form under LVG at United and compare the Kanté of the season just gone with the Schneiderlin who was at Southampton earning all the plaudits... who is the better player, and why?

Personally, I thought Schneiderlin was really good at Southampton, but Kanté looks like he can go on to be one of the best midfielders in the world of his type. A player that can enhance any team with his contribution. I never got that vibe from Schneiderlin, even though I wanted us to sign him at the time as he was clearly better than what United had in their ranks.

What say you?
He's 25, he's peaking already.

Rednotdead

We now need to disregard everything we learned about our players under Van Gaal. I get the feeling Mourinho will get a lot more out of them and I'm looking for a big season from (among others) Schneiderlin.

mtkeenan IV

We now need to disregard everything we learned about our players under Van Gaal. I get the feeling Mourinho will get a lot more out of them and I'm looking for a big season from (among others) Schneiderlin.
Agree with this. I believe Morgan will shine in Jose's team. He is an excellent midfielder and was totally underused last season. He should take this upcoming experience and grab it with both hands.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Kante last season was far better than Schneiderlin's ever been. It remains to be seen if Kante can repeat that, but if he can he's a significantly better player.

Revan

Assumptionman
Kante last season was far better than Schneiderlin's ever been. It remains to be seen if Kante can repeat that, but if he can he's a significantly better player.
Hard to disagree with this. He looked more like Keane than like Schneiderlin.

I don't think that he's going to replicate that form though.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Would personally take Kante over Schneiderlin in a heartbeat but it's probably worth acknowledging that they're very different players. I think, not dissimilarly to the Fellaini transfer, that we thought we were getting a defensive midfielder in Schneiderlin when in reality we were getting box-to-box cover in him. Wanyama was always the more defensive minded when paired with Schneiderlin at Southampton. Agree with the view that LVG signings from last summer don't deserve to be judged too harshly yet.

Enigma_87

You know who
Hard to disagree with this. He looked more like Keane than like Schneiderlin.

I don't think that he's going to replicate that form though.
I don't see why he can't. Pretty much in his prime right now if he takes a leap at a better team he can be as effective as for Leicester. If we can swap them with us paying additional fee we should be all over it. Reminds me of Makelele a bit.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Schneiderlin at Southampton was excellent, and perhaps those performances are now a bit clouded after Schneiderlin under Van Gaal was a bit of a let down, though he did start the season very brightly and looked solid, if not un-glamorous. The wheels came off late November, as it did for the whole team.

I still have faith in Schneiderlin and think Mourinho will utilise him better, and use him similarly to how he used Matic, as an aggressive, defensive box to box player rather than a true #6 at the base of the midfield. I think he can do the latter to a reasonable extent, but it's not what he's best at. He needs to be next to someone who does the job similarly to him, like he was with Wanyama, who were both rotating 6s and 8s. Both covered and dropped deep, both got forward and got involved. They had a great understanding. Schneiderlin hasn't had a chance to do that here yet.

I don't see why Kante won't continue to perform as he has done, but I think he should give Leicester one more year first and prove he can still perform to that level. A step up could halt his development if he goes somewhere where he's not first choice.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Think we will see the real Morgan under Mourinho. He didn't cope well with being rotated under LVG at all. Always seemed to miss the next game regardless of how he played.

Kostur

海尔的老板
How can you say somebody is peaking?
They scream in the bed.

As for Schneiderlin, he was sensational at his last season at SOTON, went a bit shite when we bought him but yeah, let's see how things pan out under JoMo.

Edit: oh you cheeky cnuts, there's an auto correct on JoeMoe, how rude.

justboy68

Morgan did what Kante did and even a little more imo. He actually did it for more than a year too at this level. If both were available this year, I would take Morgan
Nonsense. Kante was one of Leicester's 3 key players that led them to a league title. Don't remember Schneiderlin doing that. Hopefully Morgan can turn out to be a good player under Jose but he's blatalently not got the same engine as Kante (no one does), nor is he as good a tackler or even passer. It'd be a real shame for us to let Kante go elsewhere simply because we have Schneiderlin.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Schneiderlin wasn't as good as last season's Kante even at his best at Southampton but he wasn't that far behind either. Certainly not enough to justify spending £30m on a similar player.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Nonsense. Kante was one of Leicester's 3 key players that led them to a league title. Don't remember Schneiderlin doing that. Hopefully Morgan can turn out to be a good player under Jose but he's blatalently not got the same engine as Kante (no one does), nor is he as good a tackler or even passer. It'd be a real shame for us to let Kante go elsewhere simply because we have Schneiderlin.
I see Schneiderlin's Southampton form has been easily forgotten.

Rednotdead

But would Kante have been the same player with the handicap Schneiderlin had of having to play under Van Gaal? I very much doubt that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I've never seen Schneiderlin perform to the level Kante has. He looks so much more limited a footballer despite the caf collectively declaring him to be the dream balling winning midfielder for us last summer. I hope he does show his qualities next season because I have definitely not seen them for us so far.

Kante's challenge, whoever he plays for, would be to show that he can perform at a similar level (at least 80%) regularly over multiple seasons. But he does appear to have greater ability. Unlike Schneiderlin he doesn't shit himself when he's given the ball.

amolbhatia50k

Schneiderlin was never the best CM in the league.

amolbhatia50k

He was arguably the best DM along with Matic for the last 2 seasons before he came to us.
Are you seriously claiming he was as good as Kante was in 15/16? Because that would be absurd. He was simply not at Kante's level who was the best CM in the league (not just best DM or ball winner - that's like Liverpool fans calling Clyne the best RB as there aren't many good ones about), and one of the driving forces behind the runaway champions. Being among the better ball winners in the league for 6th or whatever placed Southampton doesn't really compare.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Nah, he didn't. They don't play the same and Kante reached a level that Schneiderlin hasn't. Though Schneiderlin has had a few quality seasons, prior to last season, compared to Kante's one to date.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
He was arguably the best DM along with Matic for the last 2 seasons before he came to us.
Coquelin has been a better DM to Schneiderlin since the start of last year. Also, Schneiderlin isn't a DM and had Wanyama next to him. Surely this season showed you that he's not a DM, and don't give me this 'LVG' spiel because a DM would shine for a defensive and dour team.

Cassidy

Coquelin has been a better DM to Schneiderlin since the start of last year. Also, Schneiderlin isn't a DM and had Wanyama next to him. Surely this season showed you that he's not a DM, and don't give me this 'LVG' spiel because a DM would shine for a defensive and dour team.
I think he is more a defensive 8 rather than a 6, however the LVG spiel is relavant as he was practically being used (or it seemed this is what his role was) as a defensive deep lying playmaker which really is not his game.

Schneiderlin has been slightly better at his best, and he's been performing at a high level for a longer time and was doing it in a mid table team before he joined us. Kante has come from nowhere into a team playing out of its skin. Who knows how he'd fare in other circumstances. Right now i'll take Morgan, but if Kante is still playing this well in a couple of years maybe i'll change my mind.

prath92

Coquelin was not better than him last year. It's also arguable he is better than him now as coquelin seems to have lost his form since the turn of the year.

Are you seriously claiming he was as good as Kante was in 15/16? Because that would be absurd. He was simply not at Kante's level who was the best CM in the league (not just best DM or ball winner - that's like Liverpool fans calling Clyne the best RB as there aren't many good ones about), and one of the driving forces behind the runaway champions. Being among the better ball winners in the league for 6th or whatever placed Southampton doesn't really compare.
That's true but then I'm not fully sure if he can keep up with the same again. I mean vardy scored 24 goals in the league but it's unlikely he is going to repeat the same again. it's what puts me off kante I suppose. He came from obscurity playing for Caen and was hardly touted as this good before. While he was good now it's to be seen whether this was a one off or whether he has indeed developed tremendously.

amolbhatia50k

That's true but then I'm not fully sure if he can keep up with the same again. I mean vardy scored 24 goals in the league but it's unlikely he is going to repeat the same again. it's what puts me off kante I suppose. He came from obscurity playing for Caen and was hardly touted as this good before. While he was good now it's to be seen whether this was a one off or whether he has indeed developed tremendously.
Oh yeah, who has the better career remains to be seen. Kante could well fail to keep his level up or possibly even drastically drop off, while Schneiderlin begins to become integral at United who become a title-challenging/consistent CL team.

But as things stand, Kante has definitely hit the higher level, albeit for a lesser duration. He looks a more complete footballer to me as things stand. I still wouldn't want us signing him, mind you.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Never really understood the hype about Schneiderlin in the first place. He was always bit above average player but nothing more, altough very consistent at Southampton.

Lots of people praised him all the time at start of the season too but I barely saw him playing well. Only game where he really impressed me was the game against Everton in first half of the season.

Cassidy

Id rather we focus on fixing the creative side of our midfield for now. Schneiderlin is certainly good enough and we have TFM as well as Carrick and hopefully Basitan as well

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Like Schneiderlin, always thought he was a limited but a potentially very effective player at the highest level. Once Van Gaal is out of the picture, we will see whether he can become an effective player for us.

Kante has so much more natural ability and is right now the better player and the distance between them can become wider once he joins a big team.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Kante's contribution to Leicester was massive but it was definitely augmented by Leicester's low possession playstyle. His style will probably be effective for as long as he has his ridiculous pace and stamina unless he adapts his game.

Schneiderlin's definitely not the more limited of the two though, but I don't think he has ever reached the heights of Matic's latter half of 2014, or Dembele/Kante this season. Suffice it to say, he's not on that level in terms of defensive contribution and may never be.

Schneiderlin will have to work a lot harder than those three mentioned to be a similar calibre of player because he doesn't have montrous strength, pace, or balance in possession. Hopefully he steps it up under Mourinho.

LukeMCFC

Supports
Manchester City.
Schneiderlin can barely pass. Kante is a superior player in every way, seems to be widely assumed Mourinho will get the best out of him cant it he doesn't seem to have the mentality to play for a top club that's without going into his limited skillset.

prath92

Schneiderlin can barely pass. Kante is a superior player in every way, seems to be widely assumed Mourinho will get the best out of him cant it he doesn't seem to have the mentality to play for a top club that's without going into his limited skillset.
He isn't Blind or Carrick but he is a decent passer. His diagonal to mata for martial's goal vs Everton was exceptional

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Schneiderlin has been slightly better at his best, and he's been performing at a high level for a longer time and was doing it in a mid table team before he joined us. Kante has come from nowhere into a team playing out of its skin. Who knows how he'd fare in other circumstances. Right now i'll take Morgan, but if Kante is still playing this well in a couple of years maybe i'll change my mind.
No, he hasn't. Though he has proven himself over the course of a few seasons compared to Kante's one.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I don't know about his mentality though I wonder how much having a beast of a midfield partner in Wanyama helped him excel.

m1y2

dont judge Schneiderlin under LVG, if he plays below his limits under Mourinho, then okay, maybe we should consider selling him or buying an alternative for him. but I am sure he will thrive under Mou, stupid possession system almost killed schneiderlin, he will be different animal next season... Kante was awesome last season but I dont see a space for him in the team especially when we have similar player in Schneiderlin and Tofu, if we need CM then more ball playing one..

m1y2

that's just BS, in a team under a coach where total disciplined was demanded, everyone was scared to make creative passes, wha's more and that was already said in some interviews CM's were restricted to play creative passes. Under Mou there will be discipline as well but players will no doubt be encouraged to play their game and once their confidence is boosted we will see the better of them. Schneiderlin will look completely different next season than under LVG

dichinero

I see Schneiderlin's Southampton form has been easily forgotten.
Or maybe people just don't even know about it. The guys was immense and bossing the midfield for 2 seasons. I'm confident of he went to Arsenal instead, they would have won the league no problem. He was that good at Soton

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
You are crazy if you think Schneiderlin is on the same level as Kante. In no way, shape, or form did he ever reach Kante's level while he was at Southampton. He does not have it him. To be fair, no one does. The level of fitness and intelligence in terms of positioning Kante brings to the game is unprecedented. He is a one man midfield.