N'Golo Kante | Chelsea Player

SteveW

It is a ridiculous comment. He's not an expansive passer but he's very comfortable and tidy under pressure. He could play in any midfield in the world and not look out of place.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It is a ridiculous comment. He's not an expansive passer but he's very comfortable and tidy under pressure. He could play in any midfield in the world and not look out of place.
He isn't though. When he's put under pressure and he doesn't have an obvious pass he'll struggle. We've seen it time and time again but for some reason there's this desperate clamber to make him more than he is. He's a world class ball winner. Take away his ball winning ability and you think he'd be in the premier league? Seriously?

SteveW

He isn't though. When he's put under pressure and he doesn't have an obvious pass he'll struggle. We've seen it time and time again but for some reason there's this desperate clamber to make him more than he is. He's a world class ball winner. Take away his ball winning ability and you think he'd be in the premier league? Seriously?
He put in one tackle tonight and was MOM.

So yes, I do.

Ekeke

He put in one tackle tonight and was MOM.

So yes, I do.
Exactly right. Tackling and ball winning is a big part of his skillset, but that doesnt mean he cant control a ball or play a pretty good pass. Honestly if all he could do was run and win the ball he would never get in the France team. They have plenty of players who can do that. But Kante can run with the ball and play a pass as well.

ivaldo

Oh no, he had 2 games where he wasnt that great in an unfamiliar position. Should retire.
Brighton, Leicester, Watford?

In my previous post I literally called him a world class ball winner. Good effort but do try to keep up.

Ekeke

Brighton, Leicester, Watford?

In my previous post I literally called him a world class ball winner. Good effort but do try to keep up.
And he isnt just a ball winner with championship level technical abilities like you said. Bad effort fess up

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
But despite that the notion is right, Kante would struggle in Herreras role. As a ball winner he's excellent, but ask him to do anything with it and he'll perform well below the required level. His touch, passing, vision and shooting is Championship standard. Either facilitate him with the right partners in midfield or don't play him at all.
Utter nonsense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAgFpys3ZFs

"But its only two games!"

Yeah but let's pretend like he regularly does these things at a Championship level. Do you think any central midfielder with such important "Championship level" (whatever the feck that means) attributes would get into the sides he's played/is playing on? Sure, he's not elite at any of those things but to label him "Championship level" in those areas is disingenuous and/or completely ignorant at best.

ivaldo

And he isnt just a ball winner with championship level technical abilities like you said. Bad effort fess up
Course he is. He has an acceptable level of technique, but its not nearly good enough to play in an advanced role in the premier league. Look at the other players who play in similar positions across the league and compare. Look who is playing in the Championship and compare. No level of exaggeration or poor reading skills is going to change that on your part.

ivaldo

Utter nonsense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAgFpys3ZFs

"But its only two games!"

Yeah but let's pretend like he regularly does these things at a Championship level. Do you think any central midfielder with such important "Championship level" (whatever the feck that means) attributes would get into the sides he's played/is playing on? Sure, he's not elite at any of those things but to label him "Championship level" in those areas is disingenuous and/or completely ignorant at best.
And this is your example of his quality on the ball is it? Have you watched that video? :lol:

Jib

Herrera is really overrated here. Better than Kante ? WTF !

ivaldo

You're fecking mental. He're the championship level footballer against us.

Are you fecking mental? Or have you just misplaced your glasses? If you're going to get outraged at least make sure it's about the right thing. At no point have I said he's a championship level footballer. He's one of the best midfielders in the league - because hes one of the best ball winners in the world. You have to go all the way to 40 seconds into the video to find exactly what I mean. Any player with good technique would not make such a hash of that pass, and this isn't an iscolated incident. Hes wasted where he is at the moment. He doesn't have the ability to effect the game this far forward regularly enough when he has the ball.

What I will say is I was probably a little harsh with his shooting, it's actually quite good, but I maintain his passing, vision and touch isn't up to scratch when he's under any kind of pressure to justify playing him in that position over any other offensive midfielder in the league.

Ekeke

Course he is. He has an acceptable level of technique, but its not nearly good enough to play in an advanced role in the premier league. Look at the other players who play in similar positions across the league and compare. Look who is playing in the Championship and compare. No level of exaggeration or poor reading skills is going to change that on your part.
He's better than all of them. So silly

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
I’m sorry but your talking absolute nonsense. Your initial point wasnt you comparing him to players in the EPL playin in a similar role. You explicitly said Kante has “championship level passing, vision, and touch”.

He is by no means at the level of a Eriksen or Silva with regards to those specific attributes but championship level?! That comment indicates you’ve maybe watched a handful of Kante’s games or you haven’t watched many premier league matches/players outside of the top 6 teams.

SteveW

Are you fecking mental? Or have you just misplaced your glasses? If you're going to get outraged at least make sure it's about the right thing. At no point have I said he's a championship level footballer. He's one of the best midfielders in the league - because hes one of the best ball winners in the world. You have to go all the way to 40 seconds into the video to find exactly what I mean. Any player with good technique would not make such a hash of that pass, and this isn't an iscolated incident. Hes wasted where he is at the moment. He doesn't have the ability to effect the game this far forward regularly enough when he has the ball.

What I will say is I was probably a little harsh with his shooting, it's actually quite good, but I maintain his passing, vision and touch isn't up to scratch when he's under any kind of pressure to justify playing him in that position over any other offensive midfielder in the league.
You said he'd be in the championship if he wasn't so good at winning the ball. It's nonsense. He ran that game against us scoring and setting up a number of chances.

Everybody knows what his best qualities are. You seem to be the only person who thinks they are his only qualities.

I'm amazed that you think he'd struggle in Herrera's role. They play an extremely similar game. Kante just does it better.

ivaldo

I’m sorry but your talking absolute nonsense. Your initial point wasnt you comparing him to players in the EPL playin in a similar role. You explicitly said Kante has “championship level passing, vision, and touch”.

He is by no means at the level of a Eriksen or Silva with regards to those specific attributes but championship level?! That comment indicates you’ve maybe watched a handful of Kante’s games or you haven’t watched many premier league matches/players outside of the top 6 teams.
How is that not implied? If he doesn't compare to those other players in the same position, then he isn't Premier League standard? It's simple logic.

ivaldo

I meant to post this video (instead of posting the other one twice):

Championship level player :lol:
Can't read. :lol: Try again.

I've questioned his ability on the ball and you've posted a video that specifically mentions his ability off the ball... good work Einstein.

Last edited:

ivaldo

You said he'd be in the championship if he wasn't so good at winning the ball. It's nonsense. He ran that game against us scoring and setting up a number of chances.

Everybody knows what his best qualities are. You seem to be the only person who thinks they are his only qualities.

I'm amazed that you think he'd struggle in Herrera's role. They play an extremely similar game. Kante just does it better.
Yes. They are two very different things.

Well no he doesn't do it better, every stat thinkable suggest the contrary.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
How is that not implied? If he doesn't compare to those other players in the same position, then he isn't Premier League standard? It's simple logic.
So every player that plays advanced/attacking mid that doesn't "compare" or have the same elite level of attacking attributes as Eriksen or Silva's is a championship level player? That means that all the other advanced midfielders in the EPL, save for about 5, should be playing in the championship. Your argument is complete nonsense. Those two players are the gold standard, and to suggest that any player who doesn't compare to them is championship standard is an argument completely devoid of reasoning and nuance.

Kante is not an elite level passer nor does he have elite vision. But your doing a huge disservice to him by suggesting he the skills he does posses in that aspect are championship quality because that is bonkers and I'm sure most would agree.

Rito

Supports
Chelsea
Damn, a championship level player with back to back premier leagues , playing for two different clubs; one time POTY and the other time close 2nd. EPL clubs should scout championship players going forward. :lol:

ivaldo

So every player that plays advanced/attacking mid that doesn't "compare" or have the same elite level of attacking attributes as Eriksen or Silva's is a championship level player? That means that all the other advanced midfielders in the EPL, save for about 5, should be playing in the championship. Your argument is complete nonsense. Those two players are the gold standard, and to suggest that any player who doesn't compare to them is championship standard is an argument completely devoid of reasoning and nuance.

Kante is not an elite level passer nor does he have elite vision. But your doing a huge disservice to him by suggesting he the skills he does posses in that aspect are championship quality because that is bonkers and I'm sure most would agree.
No. Thats why I said: "Look at the other players who play in similar positions across the league and compare." This isn't a difficult point I'm making. It shouldn't take three posts for you to grasp it.

Speaking of disservice, you should really pay more attention to the championship, particularly when you have Mason Mount plying his trade in the division. This is where players like Cairney and Maddison were showcasing their skills last season, technically gifts attacking midfielders with passing range and vision.

ivaldo

Damn, a championship level player with back to back premier leagues , playing for two different clubs; one time POTY and the other time close 2nd. EPL clubs should scout championship players going forward. :lol:
Another person who can't read. Is this common with Chelsea fans? :lol: Incredible how upset you lot get when someone makes the point Kante shouldnt be playing as an attacking midfielder.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Can't read. :lol: Try again.

I've questioned his ability on the ball and you've posted a video that specifically mentions his ability off the ball... good work Einstein.
I posted the wrong video again :lol:

Barcelona away. Championship level. :lol::lol::lol:

ivaldo

I posted the wrong video again :lol:

Barcelona away. Championship level.
Weird how all these wrong highlight videos reinforce my point, and the fact you had to go back to March 18’ for a supporting video speaks volumes.

Rito

Supports
Chelsea
Another person who can't read. Is this common with Chelsea fans? :lol: Incredible how upset you lot get when someone makes the point Kante shouldnt be playing as an attacking midfielder.
You are having a shocker here. You are repeatedly shifting goalposts, and when called out, you are resorting to insults like "can't read, can't comprehend", etc. It doesn't need to be a Chelsea fan to see Kante is elite class. Peace out, carry on with your agenda on how Herrera is better than Kante. :lol:

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Weird how all these wrong highlight videos reinforce my point, and the fact you had to go back to March 18’ for a supporting video speaks volumes.
You really think that last video reinforced your point?

This happened after all the videos I posted earlier took place AFTER the video I just posted. Now you see evidence of his passing and touch vs quality opposition and your original claim looks silly, you complain I'm using evidence from the 2nd half of last season. Less than a year ago. :rolleyes:

ivaldo

You really think that last video reinforced your point?

This happened after all the videos I posted earlier took place AFTER the video I just posted. Now you see evidence of his passing and touch vs quality opposition and your original claim looks silly, you complain I'm using evidence from the 2nd half of last season. Less than a year ago. :rolleyes:
After you posted more videos that show his poor touch and passing. Flawless logic. Yes I am. He’s been playing further forward this season, which has been the course of much of the discussion around him, and you have to go back almost a year for a favourable video? No one has said he’s a useless passer, and he’s going to have occasional games where he looks good, as is the case with all players playing a high standard of football, but that doesn’t mean he’s a good passer with good vision, particularly when you see the amount of midfielders in the Premier League and even the Championship who is much more accomplished than he is with the ball at their feet.

BarstoolProphet

Ah, the 'take away a player's biggest ability' argument. I wonder where Messi would if you took away his dribbling ability. Certainly not a bad player, but not the GOAT. This is fun.

ivaldo

Ah, the 'take away a player's biggest ability' argument. I wonder where Messi would if you took away his dribbling ability. Certainly not a bad player, but not the GOAT. This is fun.
No, it’s not the “take away a players biggest ability” argument, it’s the “play a player in a position that removes his best traits and be becomes a poorer player” argument. Who needs context though when you can just reply to the first post you see? Here’s a useful hint, if you scroll up the page, you see posts from earlier in the thread! ;)

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
After you posted more videos that show his poor touch and passing. Flawless logic. Yes I am. He’s been playing further forward this season, which has been the course of much of the discussion around him, and you have to go back almost a year for a favourable video? No one has said he’s a useless passer, and he’s going to have occasional games where he looks good, as is the case with all players playing a high standard of football, but that doesn’t mean he’s a good passer with good vision, particularly when you see the amount of midfielders in the Premier League and even the Championship who is much more accomplished than he is with the ball at their feet.
March 18, 2018 is not that long ago. He's not the player that will have a load of flashy compilation videos, so I'm sure why your are so fixated on when it was made...

Never claimed you said he's a useless passer. I'm specifically talking about the absurd and inane claim that his technical ability was "Championship level" and that he would "struggle to play Herrera's role". There is no way Sarri would play Kante regularly in his system if he thought is ability on the ball was at best "Championship level". Do you honestly think he would swap Kante for Herrera in his current? Do you think any manager would?

This Kante vs Herrera comparison needs to die.

ivaldo

March 18, 2018 is not that long ago. He's not the player that will have a load of flashy compilation videos, so I'm sure why your are so fixated on when it was made...

Never claimed you said he's a useless passer. I'm specifically talking about the absurd and inane claim that his technical ability was "Championship level" and that he would "struggle to play Herrera's role". There is no way Sarri would play Kante regularly in his system if he thought is ability on the ball was at best "Championship level". Do you honestly think he would swap Kante for Herrera in his current? Do you think any manager would?

This Kante vs Herrera comparison needs to die.
Yes it is. When you're trying to prove to me Kante is technically proficient to play in this more advanced role where ball winning is no longer his priority, a video thats almost year old, prior to when he was playing this role and was a ball winner isn't the best evidence. It's baffling why you were so smug about posting it.

It's almost universally accepted that Kante is being played out of position at the moment. It's not making use of his best abilities, and that's reflected in the wealth of average to poor performances weve seen so far this season. You understand what Kante is being asked to do in this role, yes? He simply doesn't have to tools to effect the game regularly enough while playing here. Do I think a manager would prefer Herrera to Kante in THIS role? Absolutely. That's clear from how both players play, and if stats are your thang, almost every stat is in his favour too. Defensive turn over per 90 is 9 to 3 in Herreras favour. Herrera has also created more, more key passes, more assists, he's been dispossessed half as much, more forward passes, more passes completed and averages more goals per 90. This while playing deeper than Kante and spending half the season under Jose.

Last edited: