N'Golo Kante

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Kinda strange to see the amount of people here claiming Kante is burnt every time he hits a rough patch, I think it started in 2019. We're talking about a player who was the best player on the pitch in both legs of the semi final and in the final of the champions league (which never happened in the history of the competition) less than a year ago. He just turned 31, with a healthy lifestyle, players can maintain very high levels of physicality until 34-35 yo. Benzema, Modric, Ronaldo etc.

Also, he had a late carreer, meaning he didn't start playing high intensity pro games when he was 17 like a lot of players do nowadays.
It's not surprising, Modric, Benzema, Ronaldo are not about physicality and covering every blade of grass. Kante's biggest strength is his ability to close down players and win possession. He is good dribbler too but thats because of his quick acceleration rather than him being skillful. So it's a valid concern because of his age.

flappyjay

Yeah let's help Chelsea get him off the wages and give them some cash on top to go buy a player who will serve them for a decade.

Someone

Something
I'd take him if he won't cost much. We're losing a lot of squad players and our midfield is terrible.

bringbackbebe

We should stop buying players looking for a final pay day. For his fee and wages, it'll be better if invested in a couple of u-23 players with potential to succeed under the right coach.

NoPace

He’s 31, that’s not geriatric in terms of midfielders, it’s only his recent injury problem that is concerning.
Yeah, it's just that he's all about his running unless you're gonna convert him into a 6 for his final years.

This is the kind of thing that makes sense on a free but not paying a fee to a rival. Easy to say, but we need the next Kante. Finding him from Ligue 2 is surely beyond us, but hopefully with Ten Haag we can be smart enough to sign a player like him from a Leicester like Chelsea did.

Irrational.

He’s lost that extra half a yard of pace that allowed him to nip in ahead of opposing players and take the ball.

This transfer should’ve happened in 2015 and his best years are behind him. No thanks.

AndySmith1990

Is there not a young player with similar attributes that we could get instead? Bit bored of signing players whose best years were spent at another club

Telsim

This club just doesn't learn and never changes. Once again with the hand-me-downs from other clubs. Not a good outlook if ETH wants him. :nervous:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Yet another nonsense Mirror story projecting what they think Ten Hag thinks.

Bestietom

Go for a younger player like Kamara. De Jong and Kamara with Fernandes would make for a very good midfield.

GreatDane

I don't think we're buying Kante, but he could do a fine job for a few years next to De Jong.

Pains me we didn't get him from Leicester.

GoldanoGraham

I think this probably needs to be translated as:

ETH wants a player in the mould of Kante

Acole9

Outstanding
Please can we start signing players coming into their prime not past it?
Agreed, we need to move away from this now.

Kante has clearly lost a yard or two of pace. Don't think he played very well yesterday in all honesty.

He would've been a brilliant signing a few years ago but it's a big fat no from me.

OmarUnited4ever

BS, no way we sign him, he is quality but would be too expensive for his age, unless the fee is 15m, then that would be good, as he is far far better than McFred

Conor

It would be pretty strange for his legs to be gone, give his career so far, it's not like he's been playing at the highest level since he was 16 like Rooney or something. Also, if Chelsea are flogging him, are his wage demands really going to be crazy? Who else will sign him on massive money?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
No from me. He’s not the same player he once was, and he’s always injured.

As an aside it would be funny to save all that money on wages from the 6 free transfers we’re finally getting off the books only to replace them with two players on just as much money as the highest earners of that list

::sonny::

An old player who has nothing more to do, like many other past signings

Too many miles runned

Buying an old Mercedes with 800k miles an expansive insurance is not a great idea, even if the car is still fine

Last edited:

flappyjay

It would be pretty strange for his legs to be gone, give his career so far, it's not like he's been playing at the highest level since he was 16 like Rooney or something. Also, if Chelsea are flogging him, are his wage demands really going to be crazy? Who else will sign him on massive money?
The issue is that his injuries are becoming frequent.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Kante's a fantastic player. We could still squeeze a few top years out of him. Fernandinho was still a top defensive midfielder deep into his 30s. Kante's had injuries this season. If he gets over them he'll be an asset to anyone. However, this just feels like we haven't learned from the past. Not because of our experience with Matic. You can't just say it went wrong once, it'll go wrong every time. There's no reason that has to be the case.

But why are we not looking at players on their first or second contracts, like Ralf suggested? Players who have something to prove. As much as it pains me to admit it, like what Liverpool did. When Liverpool bought players like Mane, Salah, Wijnaldum, Robertson, even Van Dijk and Allison, it was their 'step up.' They all had something to prove. Even Salah, who some saw as a Chelsea reject, was looking to show people what he could do.

Kante is clearly a great lad. You can tell from the things people say about him. However, he's won everything. He has nothing to prove, at all. He seems a top pro, he will do his job professionally for anyone he plays for. But you wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of a tailing off. I just think United should be investing in the next Kante rather than the current one.

Pirlo'sBeard

It's scary the amount of people who aren't against this signing. Have we learnt nothing?

He's a shadow of the player he once was.

Litch

Most definitely on the decline and injuries are now creeping in.

croadyman

I don't think we're buying Kante, but he could do a fine job for a few years next to De Jong.

Pains me we didn't get him from Leicester.
Yeah like so many in this last decade or so they were available to sign at wrong time

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
People in here are dramatically overstating how much he has fallen off. Clear who watches him closely and who doesn’t. While it’s true that he is frequently picking up annoying little injuries, he still makes a big difference in our team when fit and has a run of games.

He’s certainly not the terminator he was a few years ago where he could play 60 matches in a season and barely look phased but he is still capable of world class performances if managed properly. Take our entire CL winning run last season for example where he destroyed everyone.

I wouldn’t be shocked if we do allow him to move this summer but I would be shocked if it was to a PL team and especially one who is going to be competing with us directly. He would be a HUGE upgrade in your midfield even if he’s only about 70% the Kante he was a couple of years ago now.

CM

No thanks. We need players who are robust and can elevate the fitness levels of the team, not ones who are on the decline and breaking down.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
If he’s available for a cut price, he’d easily be one of our best players. He’s absolute class. Even if we get 20-25 games out of him per season for the next few seasons, it’d be worth it.

Litch

People in here are dramatically overstating how much he has fallen off. Clear who watches him closely and who doesn’t. While it’s true that he is frequently picking up annoying little injuries, he still makes a big difference in our team when fit and has a run of games.

He’s certainly not the terminator he was a few years ago where he could play 60 matches in a season and barely look phased but he is still capable of world class performances if managed properly. Take our entire CL winning run last season for example where he destroyed everyone.

I wouldn’t be shocked if we do allow him to move this summer but I would be shocked if it was to a PL team and especially one who is going to be competing with us directly. He would be a HUGE upgrade in your midfield even if he’s only about 70% the Kante he was a couple of years ago now.
….agree if we were entering into a season based on what’s here now, but we are not. He not an upgrade on our midfield cause we don’t know what that midfield is going to be….

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Put Kante into a well functioning side (Bayern, Madrid, City, Liverpool) that wont be so heavily reliant on him and you'll continue to see his best form until he hangs up his boots.