3.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brightonian

I kind of agree, he has some qualities when I have seen him, but definately havent seen anything to say he would make it in our first team.
TBH though you never know.
True, but we also 'never know' with plenty of our own kids, who are younger, more talented and harder working. For me, harsh as it is, he's just a waste of time, money and playing time.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
True, but we also 'never know' with plenty of our own kids, who are younger, more talented and harder working. For me, harsh as it is, he's just a waste of time, money and playing time.
I agree tbh.

I do hope he makes it here but i dont hold out much hope.

I have a friend who was at school with him; reckons he doesn't actually like football that much and he always used to say he had been born with a gift most people would kill for, and felt he had no choice but to use it. Would certainly explain his rumoured attitude problems but doesn't bode well.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Elsewhere.

Seriously though, am I watching the same video as everyone else here? I see him lose the ball in pretty much every clip, fail to make a serious positive contribution, and get into several unnecessary tussles after an opponent takes umbrage at him persistently fouling them when he fails to control the ball. And people want him on the bench tonight?

He's consistently failed to impress both in our reserves and on loan, both in terms of his football and his attitude. He's not even a product of our own academy. What is it that he has that makes people so keen for him to succeed here? A couple of wonder-goals three and a half years ago in League 2?
Being English is a start. He's only 21, Lingard has only just broken into the team at 22. Not sticking up for Powell particularly, if its true his attitude has been poor then im not fussed if he stays or not. I don't expect him to make it elsewhere in the premier league if he can't make it with us but I'm all for giving the guy an opportunity, which in all honesty he probably deserves, after managing to overcome some seriously bad injuries. We're not exactly loaded with strikers either seeing though we only have Martial and Wilson at the moment (and Rooney yeah yeah).

Devil may care

I could have swored he came on........Truth is I didn't even recognize him, I thought "Who's the tall Daley Blind?" Absolutely bizarre substitution from LvG.

kundalini

Powell's poor performance was far less surprising than LVG's decision to put him on. Bizarre.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Well he was unlucky that Smalling got injured minutes after he came on and so we completely lost shape.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Wasn't good enough for Leicester when they were crap last year but somehow still deemed good enough to be at United.

Baxter

Weirdest sub by LVG at United. Absolutely baffling.

izec

Not his fault, I mean he isnt even really fit enough for these games. Van Gaal has lost it.

Manny

Grammar Police
Well he was unlucky that Smalling got injured minutes after he came on and so we completely lost shape.
He was. He seemed to add little bit of bite to the midfield and looked to be assured in the few touches he had.

Things kind of went to shite for him Carrick had to go into defence and he was in CM with Fellaini.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I refuse to blame him for anything, he shouldn't have been in the squad let alone replacing Mata who was playing well.

Sid234

Can't blame him or Van Gaal for this. Kid is returning after nearly a year out with injury, Van Gaal needed someone to play centrally and Mata was just not able to get going in the 2nd half so he took a gamble.

Just like he did with CBJ and Varela. Sometimes they don't all work out, with Smalling injured we went to basically punting the ball forward hoping for the best. Can't b;ame Powell for that.

Hope he takes this as a vote of confidence from LvG and kicks on

Last edited:

Minkaro

He's clearly not match fit. Shouldn't have come on over Peirreira or Young.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Would be nice to see him get more chances to finally make or break his Utd career

Putting him on tonight for his first game for us for years was one of the craziest things I have ever seen though

Golden Nugget

Felt sorry for him. I don't know how much he had been playing in the reserves, but he didn't look match fit at all. The missed header looked bad, but the marking was awful - not sure why Carrick was left with two players. The substitution was the weird point - from not being good enough for the bench all season, to being relied on in our most important game of the season so far. As many said, having no midfielder after Smalling was injured didn't help either.

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Felt sorry for him. I don't know how much he had been playing in the reserves, but he didn't look match fit at all. The missed header looked back, but the marking was awful - not sure why Carrick was left with two players. The substitution was the weird point - from not being good enough for the bench all season, to being relied on in our most important game of the season so far. As many said, having no midfielder after Smalling was injured didn't help either.
He has played in the last two u21 matches. Are you trying to blame him for their third goal? Because that wasn't his fault at all. He stuck to his man until the end where he tried to go for the ball, his man didn't get it, Carrick's did. On the whole our marking on all set pieces was shocking, Powell did his job though. He hasn't been on the bench all season because he has been injured, not because he wasn't good enough.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Can't blame him or Van Gaal for this. Kid is returning after nearly a year out with injury, Van Gaal needed someone to play centrally and Mata was just not able to get going in the 2nd half so he took a gamble.

Just like he did with CBJ and Varela. Sometimes they don't all work out, with Smalling injured we went to basically punting the ball forward hoping for the best. Can't b;ame Powell for that.

Hope he takes this as a vote of confidence from LvG and kicks on
Yeah can't blame LVG for thinning out the squad so much that there is basically no cover at all in case of a few injuries. It's not like he has had £200m to address the issue.

iKeano

He's still getting match fit. Nice to see everyone is throwing him under the bus.
The only one throwing him under the bus is Van Gaal. Bringing him on ahead of Pereira or Young only served to highlight Van Gaals self-obsessed, egotistical ways & to further add to the 'LVG brings on the youth' statistics without any real regard for Powell's development as a player.

Golden Nugget

He has played in the last two u21 matches. Are you trying to blame him for their third goal? Because that wasn't his fault at all. He stuck to his man until the end where he tried to go for the ball, his man didn't get it, Carrick's did. On the whole our marking on all set pieces was shocking, Powell did his job though. He hasn't been on the bench all season because he has been injured, not because he wasn't good enough.
Not at all (sorry, had a typo in there) - as mentioned, it was the marking that was bad - I'm not sure who's man it was, as from what I can remember, someone was with Naldo, then ran off towards another player, leaving Carrick to mark two. Powell getting the header in would have prevented the goal, but he is not to blame for it.

lem8sh

The only one throwing him under the bus is Van Gaal. Bringing him on ahead of Pereira or Young only served to highlight Van Gaals self-obsessed, egotistical ways & to further add to the 'LVG brings on the youth' statistics without any real regard for Powell's development as a player.
Is correct.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Showed some nice touches and good controll when given the chance! Loved that he actually was shown the trust, and Louis might have plans for him in the future. We all know that he can be a hell of a player, so the way people are bashing him is sad (yet expected, considering the amounts of posters whining about literally EVERYTHING the manager does these days).

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
He wasn't match fit, and didn't deserve to be thrown into the middle like that when we're desperate for goals in the most important game of our season so far.
Hold yer judgements, he's going to get more game time to prove himself.

Hope he does well in the crunch fixtures coming up in the month.

Malus

Honestly I sometimes question whether people watched the same game as me. He shouldn't have come on for Mata who was still looking lively but he was hardly terrible. Had a few decent touches and a few poorer ones which you expect for someone young who's been out a while. Could have scored and tried a silly overhead kick. End of that day I thought he was ok for a short cameo but we shouldn't blame him for LVG's poor decision.

Red_Beans

Complete crock of shit if you ask me. "Jorno" had a column to write, left it too late and just re-hashed the negativity around UTD to get some clicks.

Powell didn't talk to the press, so what? Obviously he was disappointed, we just got knocked out of the Champions League and he wasn't particularly inspiring in his cameo either. I wouldn't want to talk to the press either.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Complete crock of shit if you ask me. "Jorno" had a column to write, left it too late and just re-hashed the negativity around UTD to get some clicks.

Powell didn't talk to the press, so what? Obviously he was disappointed, we just got knocked out of the Champions League and he wasn't particularly inspiring in his cameo either. I wouldn't want to talk to the press either.
Andy Mitten has mentioned this in his piece for ESPN. That apart from Blind talking to Dutch media, but not British. That all the players walked past with their heads down, but most apologised for not speaking. Powell walked past and looked at them as though they were something he'd stood in. That is not a good attitude from a nothing player.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Andy Mitten has mentioned this in his piece for ESPN. That apart from Blind talking to Dutch media, but not British. That all the players walked past with their heads down, but most apologised for not speaking. Powell walked past and looked at them as though they were something he'd stood in. That is not a good attitude from a nothing player.
If he finally has a chip on his shoulder then I am elated to be honest. Gutter press like we have in this country deserve no respect from professional athletes.

Status
Not open for further replies.