Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
If he finally has a chip on his shoulder then I am elated to be honest. Gutter press like we have in this country deserve no respect from professional athletes.
After a poor performance and a questionable start, him becoming arrogant makes you happy?

That's crazy

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
After a poor performance and a questionable start, him becoming arrogant makes you happy?

That's crazy
Ok, let me rephrase, I'm happier he looks like he perhaps gives a shit and is effected by the result he was a part of rather than the previous assertion that he didn't particularly give a shit about his career one way or the other.

Any suggestions of "arrogance" and "ego" are complete conjecture.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
From Football365's Mediawatch:

In great Nick
Mediawatch was among the majority watching Manchester United tumbling out of the Champions League on Tuesday, open-mouthed at the sight of Nick Powell replacing Juan Mata in a must-win game. It was as bizarre as it was funny, at least for the neutral.

For The Indepedent’s Ian Herbert and Sam Wallace of the Daily Telegraph, however, it was Powell’s conduct off-camera which bemused them most.

‘Amid the United gloom on Tuesday night, the kindest thing you could say about Powell’s post-match behaviour as he left the stadium was that he was not set much of an example by some of his team-mates,’ begins the piece by Wallace. ‘But there can be no further mitigation for the sneering contempt with which he responded to a request for the standard post-match interview.’

Herbert describes Powell’s snubbing of the press as follows: ‘He did not grant so much as a second’s eye contact, pulling a face which said “contempt” as he walked by.’ Mediawatch can do faces for ‘sad’, ‘angry’ and ‘orgasmic’, but we’d struggle to do contempt.

Herbert laments a ‘breathtaking air of entitlement’ from Powell, a ‘superiority complex’ encouraged by the actions of his manager Louis van Gaal. But his words pale in comparison to that of Wallace.

‘In a lobby full of football reporters who have seen, in their time, some seriously bad attitudes on the other side of the cordon, Powell went straight into the all-time top 10 with that effort,’ adds the Telegraph’s Chief Football Writer.

The ‘all-time top 10′ of ‘seriously bad attitudes’? For pulling a face and refusing an interview after his side had just suffered elimination from the Champions League? The bastard. Mediawatch accepts that it would have been good for him to have a brief chat, but this feels a little harsh on a clearly upset kid.

Considering Powell ‘was not set much of an example by some of his team-mates,’ Mediawatch assumes they comprise the remainder of Wallace’s ‘all-time top 10 bad attitudes’ list.

ottosec

Wasn't he sent back from one of his loans because of his bad attitude?

One of those players that think they made it just because they signed for a big club, but he'll be 22 in a couple of months and he's done feck all in his career.

JoaquinJoaquin

For what it's worth, I think Powell will play some part on Saturday. If only because LVG will try and make his decision to play him on Tuesday more reasonable.

PvsNP

He's still getting match fit. Nice to see everyone is throwing him under the bus.
I think people are more frustrated over the fact that LvG brought on an unfit player like Powell in a must win game. There were better options on the bench.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I don't get all the fuss. We needed a goal. He has scored goals, more than anyone else on that bench bar Young. He's fit enough for 15 minutes. Fine, it didn't work out, but choosing him over Perreira for example is hardly ridiculous.

Course, those two being your only options is a serious mindf*ck, but there you go.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't get all the fuss. We needed a goal. He has scored goals, more than anyone else on that bench bar Young. He's fit enough for 15 minutes. Fine, it didn't work out, but choosing him over Perreira for example is hardly ridiculous.

Course, those two being your only options is a serious mindf*ck, but there you go.
I don't get the fuss either. Just the usual Charlatans having a go at any random player to assuage their anger that we lost.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Wasn't he sent back from one of his loans because of his bad attitude?

One of those players that think they made it just because they signed for a big club, but he'll be 22 in a couple of months and he's done feck all in his career.
Yeh Leicester. There are differing kinds of arrogance and it seems the one Powell possesses manifests itself in the idea that he doesn't need to work that hard, turn up on time or do what he's told in training. That's why Leicester told him to sling it and there's been reports that he's been the same back at OT.

He is, by all accounts, a complete cnut with a superiority complex and not liked by anybody who comes into contact with him it seems.

Whatever he thinks he is I firmly predict he is not going to make it.

Ibi Dreams

The most recent reports suggest that he has improved his attitude and worked very hard to get back into the picture. I don't care at all about the story that he snubbed the press - who cares? It's absolutely laughable that some are making out like it was the worst snubbing they've ever had, I can only imagine that he just walked past them and ignored them because he was angry and upset about the loss.

khoazany

For what it's worth, I think Powell will play some part on Saturday. If only because LVG will try and make his decision to play him on Tuesday more reasonable.
I don't think Powell will make the bench.Rashford is prioritized for the crucial U19s CL fixture on Tuesday but I think he'll be back on the fold on weekend.

Last edited:

C'est Moi Cantona

For goodness sake the media are a sensitive bunch nowadays, so what Powell didn't give them a big smile & a hug, and then gleefully answer the inevitable questions about why he was brought on for Mata, and why he isn't very good.

Some of them really do need stop scrapping the barrell for a story.

What next, Martial gave them an icy glare and made one them cry?

Zoo

There is plenty to criticise us for but deep analysis over a look from an inexperienced, young player new to this and probably told not to talk to the press is a bit silly.

RedPnutz

Can't blame him or Van Gaal for this. Kid is returning after nearly a year out with injury, Van Gaal needed someone to play centrally and Mata was just not able to get going in the 2nd half so he took a gamble.

Just like he did with CBJ and Varela. Sometimes they don't all work out, with Smalling injured we went to basically punting the ball forward hoping for the best. Can't b;ame Powell for that.

Hope he takes this as a vote of confidence from LvG and kicks on
You are in the wrong place. Most of the CAF doesn't understand context, only bias. They need to vent their anger on something, so why not pick the new kid? Like this one below; laughing at a youth returning from a long layoff for trying.

I pissed myself when he tried a bicycle kick and fell over.

The only one throwing him under the bus is Van Gaal. Bringing him on ahead of Pereira or Young only served to highlight Van Gaals self-obsessed, egotistical ways & to further add to the 'LVG brings on the youth' statistics without any real regard for Powell's development as a player.
That's rubbish. Powell's got a good shot on him and we needed goals. If Macheda hadn't score that goal against Aston Villa, you lot would have been criticising SAF. LVG simply assessed that Powell was more of a goal threat than anyone on the bench at that time and sent him on for last 15min. It's not like he played the full 90 ahead of Mata. Your post only serves to highlight how biased you are against LVG as to twist things to fit your own agenda.

'LVG brings on the youth' statistic. What the hell is this? Some new thing to add to the list of LVG's faults?

Manny

Grammar Police
For goodness sake the media are a sensitive bunch nowadays, so what Powell didn't give them a big smile & a hug, and then gleefully answer the inevitable questions about why he was brought on for Mata, and why he isn't very good.

Some of them really do need stop scrapping the barrell for a story.

What next, Martial gave them an icy glare and made one them cry?
Exactly. We don't know what went on.

It wouldn't surprise me if after realising none of the United players were going to talk, the press just threw questions at him as he was walking past. And probably not the kind of question that would make you want to stop and talk.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Yeh Leicester. There are differing kinds of arrogance and it seems the one Powell possesses manifests itself in the idea that he doesn't need to work that hard, turn up on time or do what he's told in training. That's why Leicester told him to sling it and there's been reports that he's been the same back at OT.

He is, by all accounts, a complete cnut with a superiority complex and not liked by anybody who comes into contact with him it seems.

Whatever he thinks he is I firmly predict he is not going to make it.
From where ? Warren Joyce in the last month has been on about how well and hard he has worked over the last 10 months to get himself back to full fitness and regained focus.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
it was obvious he was brought on so he could have a go from outside the box...if possible.

no reflection on Mata's performance imo.

But I did read somewhere where Powell had indicated he would quit football??
He is also good inside the box too. That article was a load of shit, he wouldn't have been training all summer to get fit if he wanted to quit football.

So journalists are now masters of reading facial expressions? At least they are good at something because they sure as shit aren't good journalism. They can join all the body language experts on here.

Heard about this 'sneer' yesterday and instantly though they'll be some good articles on that and what do you know? Here they are.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
He is also good inside the box too. That article was a load of shit, he wouldn't have been training all summer to get fit if he wanted to quit football.

So journalists are now masters of reading facial expressions? At least they are good at something because they sure as shit aren't good journalism. They can join all the body language experts on here.

Heard about this 'sneer' yesterday and instantly though they'll be some good articles on that and what do you know? Here they are.
I want him to make it with us. He looked very good when he joined us.

DFreshKing

Felt sorry for him. I don't know how much he had been playing in the reserves, but he didn't look match fit at all. The missed header looked bad, but the marking was awful - not sure why Carrick was left with two players. The substitution was the weird point - from not being good enough for the bench all season, to being relied on in our most important game of the season so far. As many said, having no midfielder after Smalling was injured didn't help either.

Well Carrick
You are in the wrong place. Most of the CAF doesn't understand context, only bias. They need to vent their anger on something, so why not pick the new kid? Like this one below; laughing at a youth returning from a long layoff for trying.

That's rubbish. Powell's got a good shot on him and we needed goals. If Macheda hadn't score that goal against Aston Villa, you lot would have been criticising SAF. LVG simply assessed that Powell was more of a goal threat than anyone on the bench at that time and sent him on for last 15min. It's not like he played the full 90 ahead of Mata. Your post only serves to highlight how biased you are against LVG as to twist things to fit your own agenda.

'LVG brings on the youth' statistic. What the hell is this? Some new thing to add to the list of LVG's faults?

Great post - Some weapons about who read too many red tops with gay abandon.

Their complaints even have the same shitty pithy lines.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
I find it difficult to believe that he's back in the fold if the problems that led to Leicester cancelling his loan are still there. It's almost inconceivable that he would be brought into the first team squad if he's consistently showing a "bad attitude".

Nothing that happened on Tuesday can, or should, be held against him. Hopefully he'll continue to improve, and eventually turn into the type of player both Dario Gradi and Sir Alex expected him to become.

FromTheBench

I don't think Powell will make the bench.Rashford is prioritized for the crucial U19s CL fixture on Tuesday but I think he'll be back on the fold on weekend.
I very much doubt we were prioritizing a U19 CL game over a must win champions league game tbh.

Even U21 footy took precedence over the U19 stuff during the last round.

Powell would be ahead of Rashford that he is available.

iKeano

The lad hadn't played competitive football in over a year, yet Wilson wasn't utilised a few weeks back against Watford because he was coming back from injury and 'doesn't have the rhythm of the game'. LVG rolled the dice with Powell as he has all year with shipping out the majority of our goal threats, thus leaving himself - and the club - in this position; using Fellaini as a striker and playing the last ten mins of a must win game with an injured Smalling up front. You can call it bias against LVG if that makes you feel like a better supporter or more loyal to the club. I call it being real. LVG is self obsessed and arrogant, the sooner he's gone, the better.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
yet Wilson wasn't utilised a few weeks back against Watford because he was coming back from injury and 'doesn't have the rhythm of the game'.
Wilson picked up a knee injury on the Friday before the game, nothing to do with match rhytm, he was injured.

Your 'brings on the youth statistics' line doesn't really make sense either as bringing on Andreas would accomplish exactly that.

RedPnutz

The lad hadn't played competitive football in over a year, yet Wilson wasn't utilised a few weeks back against Watford because he was coming back from injury and 'doesn't have the rhythm of the game'. LVG rolled the dice with Powell as he has all year with shipping out the majority of our goal threats, thus leaving himself - and the club - in this position; using Fellaini as a striker and playing the last ten mins of a must win game with an injured Smalling up front. You can call it bias against LVG if that makes you feel like a better supporter or more loyal to the club. I call it being real. LVG is self obsessed and arrogant, the sooner he's gone, the better.
It has nothing about being a better supporter. It's a simple situation where a gamble was taken and it didn't work out.

iKeano

It has nothing about being a better supporter. It's a simple situation where a gamble was taken and it didn't work out.
The issue is with taking a gamble in such a must-win occasion. Baffling that he removed proven winners in Schweinsteiger and Mata, while overlooking the match-changing Young. I have nothing against Powell I the slightest, I just think he was thrown under the bus in a move that - had it paid off - would have been lauded as Krul-sequel genius by LVG, but it didn't. He's made rash, ridiculous substitutions this past two seasons in a bid to be the footballing technician, when in reality, he's self-obsessed & only interested in his own gain.

iKeano

Wilson picked up a knee injury on the Friday before the game, nothing to do with match rhytm, he was injured.

Your 'brings on the youth statistics' line doesn't really make sense either as bringing on Andreas would accomplish exactly that.
The 'match rhythm' is a direct quote from Van Gaal from the press conference before Wilson got injured. He had clearly said he wouldn't play due to lack of match rhythm.... Yet he throws a young guy who hasn't competitively kicked a ball in over 12months on in place into the mix in place of a World Cup & European Cup winning playmaker.

As for bringing on youth, he's already played Pereira this season, he's already got his 'tick' for that. The use of Powell is another notch in the idiosyncratic self-obsessed world of the 'philosopher'.

foolsgold

There's clearly the bones of an good footballer there, he's got the natural skills and a good brain.

Not sure if he's United class, but if he's sorted out his shit (prospect of no more wages in July must sharpen his focus) all good.

Let's give him a shot

RedPnutz

The issue is with taking a gamble in such a must-win occasion. Baffling that he removed proven winners in Schweinsteiger and Mata, while overlooking the match-changing Young. I have nothing against Powell I the slightest, I just think he was thrown under the bus in a move that - had it paid off - would have been lauded as Krul-sequel genius by LVG, but it didn't. He's made rash, ridiculous substitutions this past two seasons in a bid to be the footballing technician, when in reality, he's self-obsessed & only interested in his own gain.
You keep saying LVG is self-obsessed and only interested in his own gain. I don't know how you came to that conclusion.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
Think there's been an over-reaction to the substitution.

I remember Twitter going crazy too when we brought on Borthwick-jackson only for him to nearly make a goal two secs later and do ok. Varela too impressed

Suddenly Ashley Young is the greatest full back of all time
Spare me

Mata did ok but he passed the ball straight out of play twice in a row and I can see why the manager gambled. You try things when you are desperate. Sometime they work, sometimes they don't. Powell was hardly that crap

The same moaners are probably complaining that the club doesn't give our young players a chance. Well we saw a few the other night and I for one think this is a good thing

The decision to keep smalling on was also lambasted. He nearly scored FFS. Armchair managers know best though

iKeano

You keep saying LVG is self-obsessed and only interested in his own gain. I don't know how you came to that conclusion.
It's just my opinion of him, in hindsight his motives, his attitude, his tactics, his man management & his 'philosophy' - to me - all seem to be geared towards benefitting him & if the club benefits, then that's a by-product.
I genuinely believe that he thinks he's bigger than the club, his constant references to past glories, his unfounded stubbornness in sticking with Rooney instead of eating his words and dropping his 'undroppable' captain.
If you think that he really puts Utd first, then good on you... but for me it's all about LVG.

Manny

Grammar Police
Maybe it's the "rash, ridiculous" substitutions that are required to be a "footballing technician".

Like for like only gives you fresher legs but bringing on a different type of player will ask different questions of a tiring defence.

Think there's been an over-reaction to the substitution.

I remember Twitter going crazy too when we brought on Borthwick-jackson only for him to nearly make a goal two secs later and do ok. Varela too impressed

Suddenly Ashley Young is the greatest full back of all time
Spare me

Mata did ok but he passed the ball straight out of play twice in a row and I can see why the manager gambled. You try things when you are desperate. Sometime they work, sometimes they don't. Powell was hardly that crap

The same moaners are probably complaining that the club doesn't give our young players a chance. Well we saw a few the other night and I for one think this is a good thing

The decision to keep smalling on was also lambasted. He nearly scored FFS. Armchair managers know best though
I believe Smalling has a groin strain but the outrage that he was kept on despite us using all our subs would make you think he was playing with a blown ACL.

iKeano

Maybe it's the "rash, ridiculous" substitutions that are required to be a "footballing technician".

Like for like only gives you fresher legs but bringing on a different type of player will ask different questions of a tiring defence.

I believe Smalling has a groin strain but the outrage that he was kept on despite us using all our subs would make you think he was playing with a blown ACL.
A different type of completely unproven player who hasn't had a competitive start in over 12 months?! Come on, there's being tactically savvy and then there's being obtuse.

Hard to assess the magnitude of an injury when a player is forced to play on regardless, look at Valencia against City.

Status
Not open for further replies.