Nick Powell

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb8521

He played through injury towards the end of last season and didnt take part in our preseason until the last week because he was still recovering from his injury. Its unlikely that the plan was to just throw him straight into the Leicester first team before he was fully fit so him not appearing in the 6 games they have played since he joined isnt that big of a surprise. He'll get his chance when he proves his fitness and then its up to him to prove he deserves to stay in the team.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
His loan at Wigan started well with loads of goals, but by the end was a bit of a disaster. He lost all form, and then his attitude went to shit. He ended up being dropped and publicly scolded for lack of effort.

For me, though, it's basically just that he has never actually looked like a United-quality player when you watch him on the pitch. Yes, when on form he's capable of scoring lots of goals at lower levels, but then every other Championship side has a player who scores a lot of goals, it doesn't make them United quality. He's not actually a striker - the likes of Wilson and Keane in our U21s are already better-looking prospects as strikers - but he's not mobile or good enough on the ball to be a midfielder for us either.
Agree with this. I don't expect him to be on our books for much longer.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Read some Leicester reserve watchers say he played in a deep midfield role on Monday against City and he was great. They won 6-2 (2 goals from Tom Lawrence) and had a few other more senior players in the side like Danny Simpson and Knocky. Those who watched said he looked the best and most likely to step-up and they think he'll start to feature in the first team soon.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Read some Leicester reserve watchers say he played in a deep midfield role on Monday against City and he was great. They won 6-2 (2 goals from Tom Lawrence) and had a few other more senior players in the side like Danny Simpson and Knocky. Those who watched said he looked the best and most likely to step-up and they think he'll start to feature in the first team soon.
Interesting and encouraging.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/L...-eager-prove/story-23677238-detail/story.html

Anthony Knockaert requested to play for Leicester City’s under-21s as he looks to force his way back into the first team.

The Frenchman impressed for Steve Beaglehole’s side, who picked up their first win of the U21 Premier League campaign in a thumping 6-2 victory over Manchester City on Monday night.

Knockaert picked up three assists, playing the full 90 minutes at the King Power Stadium, and put in a real shift as he looks to make his case for inclusion for the visit of West Brom on Saturday.

The 22-year-old has made just three Premier League appearances so far this term and was left out of the match-day squad for the 2-0 defeat at Swansea.

“He was excellent,” said City under-21 coach Nicky Eaden. “He came and asked to play. Sometimes, it’s Nigel Pearson who wants them to get 90 minutes under their belt.

“Anthony asked to come and play. That doesn’t happen very often.

“He admitted the last 10 minutes he was hanging on in there but he kept going.

“He has always shown great attitude and it’s an excellent example for the younger pros.”

Danny Simpson, who will also be looking for first-team action on Saturday, started at right-back, while Tom Lawrence scored two and Manchester United loanee Nick Powell also impressed.

“I have seen it down the years, when first-teamers just do enough to get by,” said Eaden.

“But Danny did a great job at right-back, Tom Lawrence and Nick Powell looked a threat, so did Anthony. They put a real shift in for the team.”

City, who sit bottom of the U21 Premier League, could hardly have brought up their first win in more emphatic fashion against the third-placed visitors as a brace from Lawrence, and goals from Jak McCourt, Joe Dodoo and former Man City youngster Kieran Kennedy, gave the hosts a 5-1 half-time lead.

Tom Hopper scored another after the break before a late Man City consolation.

“We thought we would be up against it,” said Eaden, whose side faces Manchester United next Monday. “It will give the lads a lot of confidence.”

FromTheBench

He played through injury towards the end of last season and didnt take part in our preseason until the last week because he was still recovering from his injury. Its unlikely that the plan was to just throw him straight into the Leicester first team before he was fully fit so him not appearing in the 6 games they have played since he joined isnt that big of a surprise. He'll get his chance when he proves his fitness and then its up to him to prove he deserves to stay in the team.
Why is everyone talking now as if Powell is just a no hoper at United?

Has he done terrible on loan or something (haven't followed his loan that much)?
This. Too many people writing him off too soon. Especially that MK dons game where he was returning from a 6 month layoff without preseason has influenced many bit over the top.

Was speaking to a crewe supporter on another forum and at 17/18 he said it won't be that big of a stretch to say that he might be amongst the best ever Crewe players or atleast those he's seen in his lifetime. Sir Alex praised him repeatedly calling him a Scholes Heir and certainty to make it along with Januzaj amongst other things and so did Owen Coyle who also called him amongst the most talented he's worked with and he's worked with likes of Wilshere and Sturridge amongst others. Even Uwe Rosler who he didn't get along with supposedly was quoted as calling him probably the most talented player at Wigan last season recently. When we signed him he had all major clubs supposedly chasing him and also was then the best player for a period with England u19s.

Weird Nigel Pearson hasn't given him and Lawrence even a substitute appearance worth of a chance yet but there are extraneous factors as listed too. Hope he gets it soon as there attacking players are getting caught up with their limitations now.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why is everyone talking now as if Powell is just a no hoper at United?

Has he done terrible on loan or something (haven't followed his loan that much)?
People are bored and claiming he will never make it seems to be the hip thing to do at the moment. Posters seem to nonsensically build players up (Januzaj) and tear them down (Powell and many others).

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Unless they have another Powell, then he is on the Leicester bench today - first time this season

Ekeke

Looks like he came on for Drinkwater, so could it be that he's finally getting some first team action as a central midfielder?!?!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
So has he been playing at all? Feel like his United career is a bit dead in the water, which is a shame as Fergie seemed to be a big fan.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
So has he been playing at all? Feel like his United career is a bit dead in the water, which is a shame as Fergie seemed to be a big fan.
funnily enough I had just been to check if he has been involved recently - not even made the bench after his 10 min cameo a few weeks back, with Leicester struggling you would think he would at least get a chance.

FromTheBench

Few Late Sub appearances is all he's got so far which is odd.

This deal is for the full season as well and looks a waste right now which could sadly be it for his United career even this early, which would be a shame.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think he's more or less finished with us. Half because he hasn't played much or impressed on loan, and half because LvG is taking the squad in a completely different direction with the players we bought in the summer as well as possibly going for Strootman.

MTR

hates Herrera
Don't look at my tag. Not native English speaker
I think he's more or less finished with us. Half because he hasn't played much or impressed on loan, and half because LvG is taking the squad in a completely different direction with the players we bought in the summer as well as possibly going for Strootman.
And half because he cares about fame and alcohol more than about football. He showed it already while he was at Wigan.

I reckon he'll end as decent striker. Not good enough for PL, too good for The Championship. Maybe some kind of poor people Le Tisier.

Santos J

And half because he cares about fame and alcohol more than about football. He showed it already while he was at Wigan.

I reckon he'll end as decent striker. Not good enough for PL, too good for The Championship. Maybe some kind of poor people Le Tisier.
Based on?

Santos J

Drunk driving and twitter threats to own manager.

EDIT: Actually it wasn't twitter, but some similar site. He did it in converstation with McArthur I think.

EDIT2: His twitter description says "pure sloth". Oh..
Didn't know this, what was it about? Can't find owt about it.

Wasn't he driving while intoxicated while at Wigan?
Aye, doesn't really mean he cares more about fame & alcohol than football though, just means he's stupid.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Aye, doesn't really mean he cares more about fame & alcohol than football though, just means he's stupid.
Yea well, if he can't get his priorities right then sadly there's nothing WE can do about it, it's not like he's 17 or so, he's 21. Could as well be the same case as with Ravel, sadly.

FromTheBench

Didn't know this, what was it about? Can't find owt about it.
It was some private messages amongst the 2 teammates bitching about the manager which got leaked or caught something IIRC. It should be posted few pages back maybe. Don't think it was a threat or anything but sort of bitching.

Rosler dropped him for a while as he was injured too for a while and the team playing well but at the end of his loan he said he would love to have Powell back and Wigan did bid for him again. He also said that he was the most talented player in the squad IIRC.

FromTheBench

Yea well, if he can't get his priorities right then sadly there's nothing WE can do about it, it's not like he's 17 or so, he's 21. Could as well be the same case as with Ravel, sadly.
There's nothing to suggest he's half as bad as Ravel tbh. People club his playing style which is marginally Berbatovesque and the drink driving think and make grand conclusions and also fuels rumors.

Footballers getting caught drunk driving is more stupid than anything else if not part of a pattern and one off. Saido Berahinho the latest one in long list last week.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
No doubt he's got talent, but you would have to be naive to think there isn't something up with his professionalism. Despite there only being speculation to back this up there is no smoke without fire and it's been going on for nearly 2 and a half years now.

Aside from lots of ability and luck you need hunger, desire and dedication to be a success at a club like United and unfortunately I suspect Powell might fall short.

Kostur

海尔的老板
There's nothing to suggest he's half as bad as Ravel tbh. People club his playing style which is marginally Berbatovesque and the drink driving think and make grand conclusions and also fuels rumors.

Footballers getting caught drunk driving is more stupid than anything else if not part of a pattern and one off. Saido Berahinho the latest one in long list last week.
Of course, drink driving is just one thing. Another is his playing time, or actually, lack of it. He wasn't really a ground-breaker at Wigan, he isn't one at Leicester, he isn't getting chances so he could as well not be impressing during the training sessions and so on. Something is definitely not right with him.

FromTheBench

Of course, drink driving is just one thing. Another is his playing time, or actually, lack of it. He wasn't really a ground-breaker at Wigan, he isn't one at Leicester, he isn't getting chances so he could as well not be impressing during the training sessions and so on. Something is definitely not right with him.
He did quite well at Wigan first half of the season under Coyle. Then didn't click with Rosler and got injured before these incidents happened and another injury. By that time it was last month or so and Wigan were playing well without him so couldn't break in. Rosler publicly said that he wanted him back too and about 10 to 15 championship clubs were said to be keen.

Agree on the Leicester loan tho. It's a dampener that he isn't getting chances and could be death knell in terms of his United career. Think he doesn't fit into the Pearson school of play and the loan happened too late if anything and he was recovering from a 6 month layoff at the time.

Still hope he gets a chance or 2 soon. Full season loan too.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I never understand why we do these loan deals and dont have some sort of stipulation in there for how much the player actually has to play.

Maybe its just from too much Football Manager but we should be able to recall him if he isnt getting a good amount of gametime.

Nuts

I never understand why we do these loan deals and dont have some sort of stipulation in there for how much the player actually has to play.

Maybe its just from too much Football Manager but we should be able to recall him if he isnt getting a good amount of gametime.
Surely his loan is also about building character? Why recall him? I'd rather watch to see how he deals with the situation, and if he can fight his way into a team.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Surely his loan is also about building character? Why recall him? I'd rather watch to see how he deals with the situation, and if he can fight his way into a team.
I suppose so, but he could just as easily "build character" in that way at United I reckon.

Nuts

I suppose so, but he could just as easily "build character" in that way at United I reckon.
Still think a loan spell is a great experience for a young lad. Seeing life at a lower division club, seeing other young lads fighting to make the grade etc

Personally, I think Powell can learn a lot in that sort of situation. He's a very privileged young man who needs to come through some tough experiences.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Still think a loan spell is a great experience for a young lad. Seeing life at a lower division club, seeing other young lads fighting to make the grade etc

Personally, I think Powell can learn a lot in that sort of situation. He's a very privileged young man who needs to come through some tough experiences.
I would rather he is getting world class training and development at better facilities.

IceDevil

Is it possible to cancel a loan, like in this case? The club would have to pay some sort of compensation or something like that?

legball

Overrated, people here keep saying he's great and has talent, but I still haven't seen it.

saivet

Is it possible to cancel a loan, like in this case? The club would have to pay some sort of compensation or something like that?
If we can cancel, I would think not. It's not like Leicester would be desperate to keep him anyway.

MTR

hates Herrera
Don't look at my tag. Not native English speaker

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
After the magic he worked with Young and Fellaini, if you give Van Gaal a few weeks with Powell, he might make him look serviceable. He's atleast not got the fitness issues that restrict fat cow Anderson. We could use some midfield depth if we do not have Blind and Di Maria for a while and continue to play the diamond. Powell is also good to throw in for a late goal, he's got good finishing instincts.

FromTheBench

After the magic he worked with Young and Fellaini, if you give Van Gaal a few weeks with Powell, he might make him look serviceable. He's atleast not got the fitness issues that restrict fat cow Anderson. We could use some midfield depth if we do not have Blind and Di Maria for a while and continue to play the diamond. Powell is also good to throw in for a late goal, he's got good finishing instincts.
We have plenty of players in positions he plays though. He is not a CDM.

Another loan would be best for him. Probably to the championship or even abroad maybe. (PL club if he is guaranteed game time or there is injury crisis somewhere.)

Status
Not open for further replies.