Nick Powell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
After the magic he worked with Young and Fellaini, if you give Van Gaal a few weeks with Powell, he might make him look serviceable. He's atleast not got the fitness issues that restrict fat cow Anderson. We could use some midfield depth if we do not have Blind and Di Maria for a while and continue to play the diamond. Powell is also good to throw in for a late goal, he's got good finishing instincts.
Has he actually demonstrated the ability to play well in midfield before?
I wasn't impressed when he played there in the Champions League (obviously he was young), and his stand out periods have all been as a second striker.

I expect this guy to be at Nottingham Forest or back at Crewe within a couple of years, to be honest.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
We have plenty of players in positions he plays though. He is not a CDM.

Another loan would be best for him. Probably to the championship or even abroad maybe. (PL club if he is guaranteed game time or there is injury crisis somewhere.)
Has he actually demonstrated the ability to play well in midfield before?
I wasn't impressed when he played there in the Champions League (obviously he was young), and his stand out periods have all been as a second striker.

I expect this guy to be at Nottingham Forest or back at Crewe within a couple of years, to be honest.
Not as a two man midfield but as part of a midfield diamond with one foot on the flanks, he'd be a viable alternative, we have Herrera and Fellaini as the only natural options there and Fellaini is already complaining of fatigue. Ofcourse you'd have to drill it into his head that he has to help the fullback out, which he usually doesn't do but he certainly deserves an opportunity, his short passing and interplay are good with other like minded players and he has a cannon for a foot.

FromTheBench

still better than playing in their u21s. We shouldnt loan them one of our players in the future anymore. Keep playing Vardy, cnuts.
Pearson seems to like hard working players "who put them about" in front 5 positions. Those that run around and press a lot and the AM/SS also has to do a job on the opposition DM.

Really surprised tho he hasn't taken a gamble of Powell even for 1 game so far despite lacking creativity and him apparently doing well in recent u21 games.

FromTheBench

Not as a two man midfield but as part of a midfield diamond with one foot on the flanks, he'd be a viable alternative, we have Herrera and Fellaini as the only natural options there and Fellaini is already complaining of fatigue. Ofcourse you'd have to drill it into his head that he has to help the fullback out, which he usually doesn't do but he certainly deserves an opportunity, his short passing and interplay are good with other like minded players and he has a cannon for a foot.
Di Maria plays one of those roles usually too.

Powell could be a risky proposition there frankly defensively and in terms of ball retention though indeed he could produce from there attacking wise.

AM is his best position for me or Support striker sort of and i think he should develop at that.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
He needs a succesful PL loan before we even think of throwing him into our first team. Same goes for Zaha, the Keanes etc...if they cant get regular starts at Palace, Leicester, Burnley etc then I just can't see that they would ever make it here. If we still think they have potential then it's worth arranging another PL club for them, but with the exception of W.Keane they've all already shown they can do it in the Championship so there's no point loanin back to that level again.

Trizy

This lad looked like a bargain just from his season highlights alone when we bought him, he's done nothing since apart from looking like he doesn't care.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He doesn't strike me as a United type young player to be honest. Doesn't appear to be as driven or as professional as the likes of Ronaldo or Beckham was. When was the last someone with his kind of laissez-faire attitude made it at United?

Will Absolute

This lad looked like a bargain just from his season highlights alone when we bought him, he's done nothing since apart from looking like he doesn't care.
I thought he was a real talent when he came first, but, even in reserve games, he didn't do enough or impose himself.

IceDevil

After the magic he worked with Young and Fellaini, if you give Van Gaal a few weeks with Powell, he might make him look serviceable. He's atleast not got the fitness issues that restrict fat cow Anderson. We could use some midfield depth if we do not have Blind and Di Maria for a while and continue to play the diamond. Powell is also good to throw in for a late goal, he's got good finishing instincts.
I agree with you. The boy is incredibly talented IMO, and not because this loan deal couldn't work it will mean that his United career is over ffs.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I see what people are saying, it is another failed loan, he's shown nothing, blah blah.... But to be honest, I think it speaks more about Pearson than Powell. A team that has only scored 4 goals in the last ten games and not given him a chance, is a complete mug, in my opinion. I'd love him to come back and work hard, Van Gaal will play him in the U21s, but he'll probably train with the first team. Then we can take stock at the end of the season, see if he's worth keeping and has taken the opportunity given to him.

EDIT: Apologies it was 10 in the last 10, but 5 of those came from the game against us, which was 10 games ago

khoazany

Tbh I'm not convinced if he's any better than the current options we have in our U21s, at least in terms of potential.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I see what people are saying, it is another failed loan, he's shown nothing, blah blah.... But to be honest, I think it speaks more about Pearson than Powell. A team that has only scored 4 goals in the last ten games and not given him a chance, is a complete mug, in my opinion. I'd love him to come back and work hard, Van Gaal will play him in the U21s, but he'll probably train with the first team. Then we can take stock at the end of the season, see if he's worth keeping and has taken the opportunity given to him.

EDIT: Apologies it was 10 in the last 10, but 5 of those came from the game against us, which was 10 games ago
Ye I was suprised that he didnt get any chance at all - he was getting good reviews in the Leicester reserves games a couple of months ago and then played about 10 mins from the bench one match and I assumed he would start featuring more but instead he disappeared completely from their matchday squad.

Especially strange considering how shite Leicester have been since their game raising antics against us.

Pearson's Leceicester is all about teamwork and graft so perhaps he just doesnt fit in there.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I never understand all the fuss about him here as I never rate him anyway.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
I never understand all the fuss about him here as I never rate him anyway.
It's because he's got an impressive shot on him, that debut goal vs Wigan might have got a lot of people excited without knowing much about his general game.

Jury's out for me, Fergie had tracked him for a while before signing him. I'd rather keep him in the u21s and see if LVG can get the best out of him long term. Must have some potential for SAF to have been excited about him.

izec

I thought he was a real talent a few seasons ago. Then i read a lot of times on here that he is supposed to be lazy and has a bit of attitude problems. I still think he has everything football wise to make it here. I dont think he is overhyped or not that good than we thought, if you dont give 100% in every training session and dont play, you cant develop. Not to mention that he is in my opinion someone to play behind the striker and not as a striker or CM or wherever he played those last years for us and the loan clubs. Unfortunately, you can have all the talent, but a manager like van Gaal or any manager wont rate him if he behaves like that.

Ekeke

You need more than a good shot to make it at United as a central midfielder or a striker. Its as simple as that.

Powell has the shot, but his passing game isnt impressive (and thats sort of understandable given we keep loaning him out and he gets 0 experience playing in midfield) and his other qualities compared to other strikers dont really stand out. So he's not going to make it here as a striker either.

legball

I don't know what Ferguson was thinking. I always read people on here say he has talent and he's a big talent, but I've never seen it. Like Zaha, it was a waste of time signing players like this.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I don't know what Ferguson was thinking. I always read people on here say he has talent and he's a big talent, but I've never seen it. Like Zaha, it was a waste of time signing players like this.
Its a gamble, doesn't always come off, but look at Smalling.

Ekeke

More importantly look at Cleverley and Welbeck.

We can't rely on our academy and u21 sides to supply all our young British players so we have to go and buy them when they seem promising and usually for a hefty fee. Some work out, others will not.

Perhaps the main thing we should do is give them more responsibility earlier. For example Smalling and Jones, if they had been prioritised as our CBs for a couple of years now, we'd look far more assured at the back longterm right now. Instead they were made to play in roles other than the ones we believed they would play longterm and I think its clear they are behind schedule with their development because of that.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

He's definitely talented. The trouble is the mental part of the game that some talented kids grasp, and others don't. If you can't master the mental / psychological parts of being a footballer, your talent will eventually not be enough. That's what makes Ronaldo so good and Quaresma so average.

dr.twinny

Hopefully, this gives him a kick up his backside. Rather than another failed loan spell, I would keep in the u21 for the rest of the season. Barring injuries to any first team players, he might be around the first team during the latter part of the season. Depends on him though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I wouldn't give up on him just because a few negative reports have been trickling out of his loan spell. Let's bring him back and let LvG work his magic with him for a while and see how it goes.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Ye I was suprised that he didnt get any chance at all - he was getting good reviews in the Leicester reserves games a couple of months ago and then played about 10 mins from the bench one match and I assumed he would start featuring more but instead he disappeared completely from their matchday squad.

Especially strange considering how shite Leicester have been since their game raising antics against us.

Pearson's Leceicester is all about teamwork and graft so perhaps he just doesnt fit in there.
Yeah, maybe, best not for him to be there then. He can keep playing Andy King and co instead and see where that gets him.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Yeah, maybe, best not for him to be there then. He can keep playing Andy King and co instead and see where that gets him.
Odds are that they'll go down anyway.
But it's not like Nick Powell is going to do much to prevent this.

I'd say Pearson's better off playing players who he knows and trusts, who are actually being paid by Leicester City, and have intrinsic motivation to work hard.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Odds are that they'll go down anyway.
But it's not like Nick Powell is going to do much to prevent this.

I'd say Pearson's better off playing players who he knows and trusts, who are actually being paid by Leicester City, and have intrinsic motivation to work hard.
True, think I'm just a bit bitter he's not getting a chance. But it's that whole argument about playing football the "right" way, I think you're pretty much down already if you prioritise hard working players as your selection ethos.

RooneyLegend

He'd be perfect for the current West ham. Him not getting a chance at Leicester is the sort of foolishness that get managers fired.

ravelston

I hate to say it but so is United under LvG - we just do it with better players. If he can't handle teamwork and graft how's he going to do in a team that's, at least partially, built around a high press?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Can you imagine being at United as a young player? Being released or sold because you weren't quite good enough is one thing, but being shown the door because you couldn't be arsed...How could you live with yourself? Powell's only 20 but it's not looking good for him because the rumours of his crappy attitude just won't go away.

If they had had the right mental state, just imagine the sort of players Morrison, Powell and Zaha could have been developing into right now. The money they get at such an early age has to have something to do with it. If only there was a way to universally and incrementally cap the rewards of players up until their 21st birthday. But when you're 18 and getting 5-15K a week (for a good prospect, way more for a hot prospect) you probably feel like you've made it. Just as recently as Fergie's Fledglings, the young players would be cleaning the showers, older players boots etc. Can you imagine that today?

m1y2

I agree with the most but WTF is wrong with you? How old are you? I will say it again, it is completely childish and not funny to insult anderson all the time. He is still our player right? He was never fat, and if he is fat I want to be fat like him. He may lack fitness as he barely trains because of his countless injuries. It can take plenty of time to get back into shape when you miss weeks and weeks of training due to injuries. And to say that Powell hasn't got fitness issues? It is stupid. That is one of the main reasons he doesn't play. His style is very lazy and almost like "I will run whenever I want" that is why he will never make it at our club. He will find out too late and end up as some lower table club in premier league as he still has got a lot of talent... Anyway a lot of players have got talent, some are more talented some are less but the whether they make it is always about hard work and obviously about luck as well sometimes - injuries/ opportunities. I didn't see much of Powell this season but he may be the most talented guy in the squad(LCFC) but will not have this opportunity to play as he lacks fitness and simply doesn't work hard enough..

Reactions: Raoul

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Bring him back and let him train with the reserves. His problem is clearly not a lack of talent, but one of discipline. LvG should have some time with him before any decisions are made.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
He'd be perfect for the current West ham. Him not getting a chance at Leicester is the sort of foolishness that get managers fired.
West Ham have better than him. They sent Morrison out on loan and he's a lot better than Powell at the moment.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He is still our player right?
Its debatable if you can really classify Anderson as a player.
And to say that Powell hasn't got fitness issues? It is stupid. That is one of the main reasons he doesn't play. His style is very lazy and almost like "I will run whenever I want" that is why he will never make it at our club.
Laziness doesn't mean he has fitness issues, his laziness is over stated anyway.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Seems like he has a major attitude problem. Talent isn't the issue at all and neither is it in doubt. From the interviews and press snippets I've heard about him, he seems to think he's great and last year he thought he could get into the team ahead of some other midfielders. Maybe he could have but he's young and needs to realise that his attitude needs to improve a lot if he's going to play for our first team.

Status
Not open for further replies.