Nick Powell

Status
Not open for further replies.

khoazany

so you are suggesting that his future is in midfield, he was bought to the club as a top prospect, Fergie wanted to convert him but that doesn't mean that he will end up as midfielder, he hasn't got work ethic to play midfielder and passing composure, he can make top pass but lose the ball next time, his passing from there is like Rooney's. On the other hand he could score goals like Lampard but that doesn't make him a midfield prospect. He will play as 10 or striker like he played for wigan.

And he will end up in champ anyway, maybe lower premier league..
You're really underestimating Powell here.Don't forget the lad's only 20.He will be a solid PL player.

Silent_Running

Dr. John Hammond
to be honest, I am dissapointed with this signing. Powell seems to have a great shot and finish but his basic control and brain are seriously worrying after I watched his performance in the Play Off final. I do not expect this player to be a success but hope he is.
Scholesy was right about everything. Who would have thought.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Phil Jones - our greatest ever player

Love fergie but he said some odd things about his players in his later years of managing us

luckyspurs

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You're really underestimating Powell here.Don't forget the lad's only 20.He will be a solid PL player.
Think of that description; solid Premier League player. You're talking a Sidwell or a Delph or a Livermore. Not sure Powell's got the physique or work ethic to do those three guy's job year in year out. Strikes me as the David Bentley type who once he realises he won't be an England regular, will go off the sport and blame everyone else for it.

Be fortunate to have Henri Lansbury's career at this rate.

Classical Mechanic

Think of that description; solid Premier League player. You're talking a Sidwell or a Delph or a Livermore. Not sure Powell's got the physique or work ethic to do those three guy's job year in year out. Strikes me as the David Bentley type who once he realises he won't be an England regular, will go off the sport and blame everyone else for it.

Be fortunate to have Henri Lansbury's career at this rate.
Christ, that is a bit of a reach into Powell's psychology and motivations!

I think that Powell is a talented alright. I think that he will be a Premier League player. Definitely not a top level one but perhaps a solid enough one.

luckyspurs

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Christ, that is a bit of a reach into Powell's psychology and motivations!

I think that Powell is a talented alright. I think that he will be a Premier League player. Definitely not a top level one but perhaps a solid enough one.
Weak, slow, very little stamina and poor attitude. A good first touch and a half decent finish. As it stands, Darron Gibson was far more rounded and Premier League ready. Adel Taarabt is lightyears ahead of this guy and he wasn't going to make it for Spurs and can't get close to the QPR team.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He isn't weak, has a fairly decent turn of pace and his work rate is extremely overstated, it isn't that bad. Wigan fans praised him for his workrate before his injury and he always puts in a shift to close down defenders.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He just looks a little lazy, but Berbatov esq in terms of how he'll play a good pass or make a good move and then stop.

However is technique etc is great, he just looks like a player who plays like he's already made it, not like he's trying to force his way in
He looked like he already made it the day he signed for United:

Has there anyone ever been less bothered about signing for United?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Strikes me as the David Bentley type who once he realises he won't be an England regular, will go off the sport and blame everyone else for it.
I think he'll have a series of unfulfilling relationships with blondes from the greater Manchester area before meeting a red-head from Birmingham who will he will connect with on a much deeper, almost spiritual, level when he realises that she is able to help him work through the complex feelings of guilt and inadequacy that he's always struggled with due to his distant and emotionally disengaged father.

Could be wrong though.

Last edited:

Ekeke

Weak, slow, very little stamina and poor attitude. A good first touch and a half decent finish. As it stands, Darron Gibson was far more rounded and Premier League ready. Adel Taarabt is lightyears ahead of this guy and he wasn't going to make it for Spurs and can't get close to the QPR team.
Gibson was doing well at Everton till his injury and was a lot older than Powell before the club gave up on him being good enough. Thats not to say that Powell will make it, I doubt he will make it at United. But at 20 years old its a little ridiculous to be writing him off as a premier league player of decent standing in the future.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
If this guy manages 150 Premier League appearances in his career (roughly Steve Sidwell), he'll have done extremely well. I'd be surprised if he manages it though.
Hard shot and not much else.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

I think that his future is as a striker. He is decent in the air and is a sweet striker of the ball. Contrary to a lot of opinion about: he showed excellent work rate in forward positions for Wigan too.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He looked like he already made it the day he signed for United:

Has there anyone ever been less bothered about signing for United?
:lol:

Well, you have James Wilson, who looks like he couldn't give 2 fecks every time he comes off the bench.

Telcontar

I want to see him playing more games, I think he has the potential actually, but he didnt get enough games at crucial stage in his career.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I think he'll have a series of unfulfilling relationships with blondes from the greater Manchester area before meeting a red-head from Birmingham who will he will connect with on a much deeper, almost spiritual, level when he realises that she is able to help him work through the complex feelings of guilt and inadequacy that he's always struggled with due to his distant and emotionally disengaged father.

Could be wrong though.
Powell and his father are actually close. Powell actually said after he joined us that his father would make sure that he stayed grounded.

Bwuk

Powell needs a run of games as a second striker somewhere. He'll never get that here.

He has the ability, and the technique, I think it's an attitude and application problem with him.

Shame.

LR7

I saw some quotes from Warren Joyce about some of the lads who have returned from loan not being as bothered about their performance in the U21s game as Valdes (or something similar), and I assumed he was on about Powell (his performance didn't strike me as disinterested though).

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Pogue doesn't know what he's talking about.

His relationship with his mother is the root cause of Powell's problems. A touch of the oedipals, I believe.
Aye, I always felt that would be the most likely thing stopping him from making it here.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I saw some quotes from Warren Joyce about some of the lads who have returned from loan not being as bothered about their performance in the U21s game as Valdes (or something similar), and I assumed he was on about Powell (his performance didn't strike me as disinterested though).
Impossible not to keep thinking back to that post-match interview very early on in his Wigan loan. Was alongside one of their senior pros, who took the piss out of him for not working hard in training. Never a good sign in someone at that early stage of their career.

LR7

Impossible not to keep thinking back to that post-match interview very early on in his Wigan loan. Was alongside one of their senior pros, who took the piss out of him for not working hard in training. Never a good sign in someone at that early stage of their career.
Yeah I remember. It was Grant Holt I think who said he's the laziest person in training. That quote stuck out because whenever I follow our academy graduates out on loan most of the comments from opposition managers/teammates usually highlight how they've raised the standards in training. Powell definitely has talent, but what (little) we have heard about his attitude and application is the opposite really of what we have come to expect from United players.

Litch

Good player but where would
Yeah I remember. It was Grant Holt I think who said he's the laziest person in training. That quote stuck out because whenever I follow our academy graduates out on loan most of the comments from opposition managers/teammates usually highlight how they've raised the standards in training. Powell definitely has talent, but what (little) we have heard about his attitude and application is the opposite really of what we have come to expect from United players.
Spot on. It just goes to show like Morrison that talent isn't enough at this level.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think we can all agree he's got all the talent, but if he doesn't work hard or show commitment he will go nowhere.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
I think we can all agree he's got all the talent, but if he doesn't work hard or show commitment he will go nowhere.
I'd have to be one who doesn't agree. maybe I'm being picky on picking up on your choice of words, but I don't see him as someone with "all the talent". 'talent'? yes, but not that much.

He can definitely hit a mean shot though, I'll give him that.

Status
Not open for further replies.