Nicola Sturgeon and Scottish Independence

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
has anyone got their finger on the pulse in Scotland? Will this force her to resign?

I have a particular dislike for Sturgeon, and do not like her crusade. But she’s a hell of a politician, and the SNP would be dramatically weaker without her being front and centre.
You clearly do not. What crusade?

altodevil

It is really looking like she's going to have to step down. Wow. Have to say I never thought this would happen but it just won't go away.
Step down because she refused to help a sexual predator. Some world we live in.

If she goes the SNP will collapse unless they go for someone young and decent like Kate Forbes. Her popularity the only thing keeping independence relevant.

You clearly do not. What crusade?
independence obviously. That’s an aside, and that’s not what I’m asking about.

Im interested in whether the dynamics in Scotland will cause her to resign over this, or whether she is strong enough to ride this out. That requires someone to have their finger on the pulse of what’s happening.

hopefully that’s clearer.

cyberman

has anyone got their finger on the pulse in Scotland? Will this force her to resign?

I have a particular dislike for Sturgeon, and do not like her crusade. But she’s a hell of a politician, and the SNP would be dramatically weaker without her being front and centre.
Nah. Boris has been lying for the past 2 weeks in parliament in breach of that code and nothing.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

She claims she's a different kind of politician to the lying Tories so she kind of has to resign at this point. No idea who would take over except Swinney and, damn, that's one hell of a downgrade.

The thing is that she's cleary being targeted by people who also don't like her "crusade". It's fecking sickening that you've had people like Boris do infinitely worse and yet he's protected by his media chums. Not equating the two and excusing Sturgeon, really, just more of an annoying observation.

Nah. Boris has been lying for the past 2 weeks in parliament in breach of that code and nothing.
I don’t think that’s relevant. Boris is in a very strong situation.

is She is a strong enough position, as the leaders of other parities, with the exception of the Greens will surely be calling for her to resign?

Acole9

Outstanding

is She is a strong enough position, as the leaders of other parities, with the exception of the Greens will surely be calling for her to resign?
How is he in a strong position :lol: He's been an absolute disaster.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Name the leaders of the other parties in Scotland.

Labour, the Tories and Lib Dems seem to have a revolving door of leaders and they're all pretty useless. Even if they weren't supporting the SNP is like a cult for a lot of people. Nah, I genuinely think if she resigns it'll be to maintain the SNP's integrity (Iol) rather than pressure from the even more Iolfull opposition parties.

How is he in a strong position :lol: He's been an absolute disaster.
look at the parliamentary arithmetic, and the opposition leaders.

Ive made no comment on whether he’s done a good job or not. But anyone can see he’s in a very strong position.

NinjaFletch

I reckon Sturgeon will try and stay on expend a lot of moral capital and public support in doing so. Ultimately, she'll decide that her position is untenable and causing direct harm to the independence cause and leave.

altodevil

look at the parliamentary arithmetic, and the opposition leaders.

Ive made no comment on whether he’s done a good job or not. But anyone can see he’s in a very strong position.
Strong position because he has the british media behind him.

Acole9

Outstanding
The Tories would win with an enormous majority if an election was called next week.
Oh god, maybe I have blinkered vision but I'm baffled as to how people still have confidence in them.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Oh god, maybe I have blinkered vision but I'm baffled as to how people still have confidence in them.
I don't have any confidence in them at all but they won at a landslide last time and they would do so again. We live in a right leaning country

Acole9

Outstanding
I don't have any confidence in them at all but they won at a landslide last time and they would do so again. We live in a right leaning country
In which case the others may as well pack up and we become a one party state.

People got fed up with them in the nineties, it could happen again (Hopefully)

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
In which case the others may as well pack up and we become a one party state.

People got fed up with them in the nineties, it could happen again (Hopefully)
Labour are miles off being able to win an election.

Acole9

Outstanding
I think this is now way off topic.
Yeah sorry for derailing it. In fairness though you or someone else did mention Boris Johnson.

Putting it back on topic, I like Nicola Sturgeon but if what has come out is true then it's going to be very difficult for her to carry on. If the public back her she might be ok.

Yeah sorry for derailing it. In fairness though you or someone else did mention Boris Johnson.

Putting it back on topic, I like Nicola Sturgeon but if what has come out is true then it's going to be very difficult for her to carry on. If the public back her she might be ok.
wasn't me! I’ve said his standing is irrelevant to this.

The full report comes on Tuesday. I suppose that’s D Day for her.

hobbers

Sturgeon is no different to your typical grubby lying politician.

Her and Salmond stabbing each other in the back is like a grimmer and much more bitter version of Boris vs Gove.

Nationalistic Tory-lites in all but name.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Her and Salmond stabbing each other in the back is like a grimmer and much more bitter version of Boris vs Gove.
Has a better title as well. Fish Wars sounds a lot better than Boris vs Gove, and would only be bettered by Boris vs Jacob (Eton Mess)

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

Tories, apart from being pro EU, pro public services, pro public spending, pro employment rights, pro nationalisation, pro raising taxes if necessary, pro welcoming asylum-seekers and anti trident, yeah, maybe.

altodevil

:lol:

hobbers

Tories, apart from being pro EU, pro public services, pro public spending, pro employment rights, pro nationalisation, pro raising taxes if necessary, pro welcoming asylum-seekers and anti trident, yeah, maybe.
Independence at the expense of public spending. At the expense of healthcare and education. At the expense of free tuition and free prescriptions and x y and z. Even at the expense of the EU if need be.

Never doubted their canniness and opportunism though.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I feel that only a well informed, articulate, devilishly handsome Scot who actually lives in Scotland is suited to determine whether or not the SNP are just Tartan Tories. Unfortunately I'm only two of those and they're both debatable.

altodevil

Independence at the expense of public spending. At the expense of healthcare and education. At the expense of free tuition and free prescriptions and x y and z. Even at the expense of the EU if need be.

Never doubted their canniness and opportunism though.
What a load of bollocks

shaky

She‘s pretty much a dictator at this point so no.
If she does have the appearance of total power in Scotland, it's only due to her/SNPs popularity and the woefulness of the Scottish Labour and Tories, which is why I seriously doubt this is going to end her career. The opposition have had nothing to say policy wise for years except "SNP bad!", which is why so many people up here don't take them remotely seriously. This could be their "boy who cried wolf" moment, finally having a genuine reason to call for Sturgeon's resignation for a change, but finding out that the electorate tuned out of listening to them a long time ago.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Guessing you read it? Because I don't remember the part where it said "as an independent nation we can provide healthcare and education for all, until it gets in the way of us wearing blue face paint".

Just remembered that joke from Frankie Boyle about Mel Gibson not being a realistic Scotsman. And look at him now; an alcoholic racist.

Sweet Square

Scotland - We want independence as currently the British parliamentary system isn't meeting our needs.

England - Well feck you! If you leave with you're little tin pot dictator then say goodbye to all the handouts and nice free stuff you are currently stealing from us! No more deep fried chocolate or publicly funding heroin.......... Oh shit soz, I didn't mean any of that. It's actually better if you stay. Please don't go. Honestly we are stronger together. But remember if you ever try to leave, your life will be fecking destroyed.

Last edited:

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Scotland - We want independence as currently the British parliamentary system isn't meeting our needs.

England - Well feck you! If you leave with you're little tin pot dictator then say goodbye to all the handouts and nice free stuff you are currently stealing from us! No more deep fried chocolate or publicly funding heroin.......... Oh shit soz, I didn't mean any of that. It's actually better if you stay. Please don't go. Honestly we are stronger together. But remember if you ever try to leave, your life will be fecking destroyed.
Its always bothered me that narrative. That Scotland is so utterly worthless without the English that it would fail harder than Boris when quizzed on what happened during the first 5 COBRA meetings of 2020. Yet, people dont half pull out the nonsense to keep us in team UK. So whats going on? Are we all scroungers, in which case why do they want us to stay? And if we arent, why are they telling us we will fail as a nation if we go it alone?

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
Is there any chance the SNP could lose votes to labour next election and collapse their vote or is there support up there that strong? I don't have a massive opinion on them since I don't live in Scotland but I just hope the country can vote the tories out somehow.

Is there any chance the SNP could lose votes to labour next election and collapse their vote or is there support up there that strong? I don't have a massive opinion on them since I don't live in Scotland but I just hope the country can vote the tories out somehow.
the strength of the SNP has certainty weakened Labour a great deal, and it didn’t look like that was going to turnaround anytime soon.

perhaps this might be a turning point for them, but don’t see Labour picking up lots of seats from the SNP.