Nicola Sturgeon and Scottish Independence

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Its always bothered me that narrative. That Scotland is so utterly worthless without the English that it would fail harder than Boris when quizzed on what happened during the first 5 COBRA meetings of 2020. Yet, people dont half pull out the nonsense to keep us in team UK. So whats going on? Are we all scroungers, in which case why do they want us to stay? And if we arent, why are they telling us we will fail as a nation if we go it alone?
Because we're a handbag for all the Royal family tea set owning muppets.

arnie_ni

Altodevil seems to be doing a lot of laughing and criticising other people's posts without much of explanation or discussion on his own thoughts.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Because it's clear that the majority of folk here get the English media view of Nicola and the Scottish government. Indoctrinated.

Classical Mechanic

Because it's clear that the majority of folk here get the English media view of Nicola and the Scottish government. Indoctrinated.
The English media rarely give the SNP much airtime outside of Indy Ref. This story is one of the few that I've actually heard lead a news bulletin down here that isn't about Indy Ref. You have to seek out someone like Andrew Nield to hear actual criticism of the SNP's governance in Scotland if you're in England. Scottish politicians that aren't in the SNP regularly complain that she gets an easy ride down here with 'softball' questions. I tend to agree with that assessment but the truth is that people aren't interested enough in Scottish politics here to justify going deep into it.

altodevil

The English media rarely give the SNP much airtime outside of Indy Ref. This story is one of the few that I've actually heard lead a news bulletin down here that isn't about Indy Ref. You have to seek out someone like Andrew Nield to hear actual criticism of the SNP's governance in Scotland if you're in England. Scottish politicians that aren't in the SNP regularly complain that she gets an easy ride down here with 'softball' questions. I tend to agree with that assessment but the truth is that people aren't interested enough in Scottish politics here to justify going deep into it.

altodevil

So you think that the English are indoctrinated by 'reason 2' on a Sun article from the election 2015 but the Scots are not indoctrinated by that absurd front page from the same time?
Not at all. I think the consistent messaging of Sturgeon in the English press has been negative. Outside of the 2015 election period, you would be hard pushed to say it has been consistently positive messaging for her in any Scottish paper or outlet aside from The National. Daily Record maybe.

Classical Mechanic

Not at all. I think the consistent messaging of Sturgeon in the English press has been negative. Outside of the 2015 election period, you would be hard pushed to say it has been consistently positive messaging for her in any Scottish paper or outlet aside from The National. Daily Record maybe.
Maybe in the right wing tabloid rags but for my part I don't read them. I tend to use the BBC and The Guardian as my main media sources.

Balljy

The right leaning parts of the press (the majority and definitely the biggest selling) benefit from the SNP doing well. They make the tories pretty untouchable by labour in elections. If the SNP were to falter the tories would definitely be keeping a nervous eye on that. My general impression of the SNP is that they are treated with some respect in England and were considered a well run party that absolutely hammered labour in the areas that labour needed to do well in. That doesn't mean there hasn't been some negative stories of course but that's the case for any political party.

Recently the press has been different but that's because of the stuff going on and it would be difficult not to have negative undertones as if nothing else its a bit of an embarrassment to the SNP.

altodevil

Crickets from all the clowns in here last few days. No surprise.

altodevil

It's now clear why he battled SNP/Sturge, for his own party benefit. Egotist. If he wanted independence he wouldn't do this.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It's now clear why he battled SNP/Sturge, for his own party benefit. Egotist. If he wanted independence he wouldn't do this.
Not sure how he can claim to be for the people when he's costing us shit tons every time he decides to sue the government.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
By only putting forward candidates for the list he is breaking PR and could pick up many additional MPs.

Not from the SNP but other parties

altodevil

By only putting forward candidates for the list he is breaking PR and could pick up many additional MPs.

Not from the SNP but other parties
Yep, he's a dickhead. I want independence, but not at the expense of breaking the electoral system.

Yep, he's a dickhead. I want independence, but not at the expense of breaking the electoral system.
If a system can be broken so easily, doesn’t the system need to change?

from the brief segment to news I watched yesterday, he looks like a boxer 20 years past his prime. A complete joke.

You would have to question anyone who wanted to represent this ‘party’.

It will fall on its arse.

altodevil

If a system can be broken so easily, doesn’t the system need to change?

from the brief segment to news I watched yesterday, he looks like a boxer 20 years past his prime. A complete joke.

You would have to question anyone who wanted to represent this ‘party’.

It will fall on its arse.
Probably at this stage. I'd prefer straight PR but can't blame the current system. It is way way more proportional and fair than Westminster

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Scottish government loses independence vote ruling

The Scottish government cannot hold an independence referendum without UK government’s consent, Supreme Court rules.

Camilo

Scottish government loses independence vote ruling

The Scottish government cannot hold an independence referendum without UK government’s consent, Supreme Court rules.
Well thank feck for that. Maybe she can focus on not doing a shit job now? What am I saying...madness. Bunch of halfwits.

Red Star One

I'm sure the Scottish who want to be less dependent on London decisions will be satisfied to hear they can't do it without London's approval.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
You'll leave when they say you can leave.

Time for a soft coup.

Baxter

Well thank feck for that. Maybe she can focus on not doing a shit job now? What am I saying...madness. Bunch of halfwits.
Alternatively, I’m not sure rejecting the request from an elected government to hold something that was pledged in their manifesto is a great look.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Alternatively, I’m not sure rejecting the request from an elected government to hold something that was pledged in their manifesto is a great look.
If there wasn't the legal case for it, maybe it shouldn't have been pledged in such a definitive matter?

I'm sure there will be further calls for independence, but the SNP's ability to bring this forward has taken a beating today.

Baxter

If there wasn't the legal case for it, maybe it shouldn't have been pledged in such a definitive matter?

I'm sure there will be further calls for independence, but the SNP's ability to bring this forward has taken a beating today.
That’s true. However, if the Westminster Government flat out refuses any way forward for it to happen then that would be pretty galling for the electorate north of the border. Effectively, know your place and shut up.

decorativeed

This might have bought me a few more years to move up to Scotland before they have the referendum, get independence, lock the doors and rejoin the EU. But it's a shit decision.

goalscholes

The result was obvious. I bet even the Scottish government didn't think the court would side with them. But it kept independence on the radar, so job done for Nicola, at the expense of the taxpayers.

hobbers

The de facto referendum via a general is a pretty bleak prospect for them. They got 45% last election but that was based on a protest vote against Boris and Corbyn, two very unpopular leaders in Scotland.