Nicolas Pepe - Signs for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Is it true that Pepe had a shocker in african cup of nations games?
I saw him play one game where he was head and shoulders above everyone in the first half, hit the bar from a free kick too.

2nd half he was atrocious.

That's all I saw of it.

davidmichael

Could we play Pepe through the middle if we signed Sancho next summer ? Forward options of Pepe, Rashford, Martial, Sancho, Greenwood, Chong, James, Lingard and Gomes is a very exciting group.

If Pepe signed and played wide right this coming season it would be a massive upgrade on what we have and his unpredictability would be a major weapon for us, we lack someone who could do something from nothing and moving him central the season after this coming one could further that.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
In terms of raw numbers; his last two Ligue 1 seasons he holds a record of 35 goals and 15 assists in 74 games. That's a goal contribution every 1.5 games.

Nobody in our side matches that. Our forwards by games per goal contribution (goal or assist): Lukaku 1.8~, Martial 2.1~, Rashford 2.4~, Lingard 3.1~, Alexis 3.5~.

Unsurprisingly, Paul Pogba comes closest at a goal contribution every 1.6 games.

We need that sort of forward in our side, unless we expect Martial and Rashford to transform into forwards who score and assist once every 1.5 games. Pogba can only do so much.

LiquidSnake

How is his decision-making? I'm always a bit wary of wingers/wide-forwards who tend to do dumb stuff, they end up frustrating their team-mates and the fans, whatever skills they bring to the table. If he's a more mature decision-maker then great, as he can clearly finish (including with his head which is a bonus) and work the inside channel.
Lets say he reminds me a young Eto'o at Mallorca. Absolutely lethal and has this thing you feel about those types of player that always want something to happens... He's not the most academic which cause him sometimes to be all over the place but I can clearly say he's a solid 7/10. He's very headed to the goal and he's efficient.

For example everybody said Bielsa was dumb to playing him as a striker 2 years ago. Despite rough games he said it was a great experience for him and he saw he needed to add patience to his game.

Reactions: 2cents

RedCurry

Firstly, I am not going to pay for news and secondly, I am not going to take the blame for the shit football journalists write. If it makes you feel better then you can blame yourself.
Ok but you are guilty regardless.

Fer

Could we play Pepe through the middle if we signed Sancho next summer ? Forward options of Pepe, Rashford, Martial, Sancho, Greenwood, Chong, James, Lingard and Gomes is a very exciting group.

If Pepe signed and played wide right this coming season it would be a massive upgrade on what we have and his unpredictability would be a major weapon for us, we lack someone who could do something from nothing and moving him central the season after this coming one could further that.
It could be a front of 3 (Rashford, Sancho and Pepe). Sancho has played slightly more on the left.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He's far better than anything we have on the right, i.e nothing, but his decision making at times seems poor.

Infestissumam

I don't know, I just feel like Lille is trying everything to create a market. Feels like he's linked to a new club every other day.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Signing this guy would be on a level of surprise similar to signing Falcao and (if we did do it) De Ligt. I won't believe it until he's holding the shirt.

lemmiwink

If Pepe comes to United, provided he is not a total flop, I believe that ends our pursuit of Jadon Sancho.

I’m not convinced Sancho will be the better player yet though. I think he has shown weak defensive contributions in the CL, which is the only arena I want to evaluate how good he really is.

Jury is still out on Pepe though. Normally I would be thrilled about this kind of transfer but our transfers since 2013 have been really hit and miss. I fear he would flop here and at the same time I fear he would tear up the league at Liverpool.

mad1max954

Just watched a few clips of him and I can’t work out whether he always has complete control of where the ball will go, I’m concerned his technique might not be good enough in our league when he would have less time onthr ball. Is that a fair assessment? I guess you need to watch 2 or 3 games before judging.

He does look like someone who always looks to create something and will always make something happen, so I that respect he is exactly what we need.

Andersons Dietician

Just watched a few clips of him and I can’t work out whether he always has complete control of where the ball will go, I’m concerned his technique might not be good enough in our league when he would have less time onthr ball. Is that a fair assessment? I guess you need to watch 2 or 3 games before judging.

He does look like someone who always looks to create something and will always make something happen, so I that respect he is exactly what we need.
Well you’re not alone because a few people have commented the same thing about the control including myself. It just seems that the ball is just never really under his control like he is always on the edge of losing it.

NoPace

Well you’re not alone because a few people have commented the same thing about the control including myself. It just seems that the ball is just never really under his control like he is always on the edge of losing it.
This will sound sarcastic but selling a dangerous striker who can't control a ball like Lukaku and adding 15-20M and getting a younger, dangerous RW who can't control a ball is genuinely good business considering our squad.

Sterling Archer

This will sound sarcastic but selling a dangerous striker who can't control a ball like Lukaku and adding 15-20M and getting a younger, dangerous RW who can't control a ball is genuinely good business considering our squad.
It's all about the system. Look at Chicharito and how well he performed

3KDré

It's all about the system. Look at Chicharito and how well he performed
Our main emphasis is on pressing, if we press and win the ball up high on the pitch there's less space to operate in therefore a greater touch and ball control is needed.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Our main emphasis is on pressing, if we press and win the ball up high on the pitch there's less space to operate in therefore a greater touch and ball control is needed.
His touch isnt even that bad

TheRedHearted

The way he moves past players is almost perfect for a fast break imo. Moves at them with pace and spreads them

jungledrums

Well if those are the rules then close down the Caf as 98% of people on here won't be able to comment, personally don't want us spending that on him as I see it as a huge risk, a forum is all about opinions, which my friend, this is mine.
Then 98% of people should not be commenting on the quality of a player.

Patrick08

Something like we were interested and had a very ambitious summer planned
Clubs use our name and desperation to create market and raise the price for their players. I think this could be similar. With us getting James and Sancho staying I doubt were getting a right winger, unless Lukaku is sold ( which I doubt isn't happening).

Kweku Amonoo

Nicolas Pepe is a fraud, tbh. Watched him at the AFCON. He was horrendous. We should absolutely steer clear from him.

LiquidSnake

Nicolas Pepe is a fraud, tbh. Watched him at the AFCON. He was horrendous. We should absolutely steer clear from him.
I will say that as an african myself. Judging player based on AFCON is really not a good measurement.

Judge player on pure NT performance is really not a good measurement IMHO. And with Africa, it just only get worse :lol:

Nicolas Pépé is french and played all his life in France. I talk about it all the same with my african mates, how some good players in Europe, really struggle to adjust to African football/environment. For some players it might take sometimes to adjust. Pépé just became an established player the past year for Ivory Coast IIRC.

Honestly bar Eto'o and Drogba (basically 2 of the best strikers of their generation and national team captains), I really struggle to think about an offensive african player that was as good with his NT as with his club every qualifiers/tournaments... Unlike some african based players, or randoms playing in Kazakhstan or Qatar looking like world beater out there :D

mad1max954

It would improve us your right, we have been crying out for a RW and lukaku doesn’t represent how we want to play. but there is a reason no one else has gone in for him at that price, it’s definetly a risk whether or not he can make it at the highest level with his touch.

I think I’d avoid quite honestly. If he was 40-45m then it would be more worth a punt but I’d be delighted to be proved wrong

elPampa

Supports
FC St. Gallen 1879
In terms of raw numbers; his last two Ligue 1 seasons he holds a record of 35 goals and 15 assists in 74 games. That's a goal contribution every 1.5 games.

Am I wrong? That would be a quota of 0.68 not 1.5 per Game! Much better than anything we have in our ranks!

Status
Not open for further replies.