Nine man Liverpool 1 vs Galatasary 2

An Extremely Boring Man

Retired 39,9999 not out
Originally posted by DJS:
<strong>

I agree that Smith and Gerrard are two who can get wound up easily - add Keane to that list too.

But surely those who initially try to provoke a situation should be dealt with too?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

How though?

Most of the provocation on a football pitch a ref can do nowt about. I try to provoke opposition players all the time; by leaving my foot in that little extra second in tackles, by tugging their shirts, by being an annoying git throughout the game, name calling etc.

Sometimes it works, sometime it doesn, and it's normally from both sides. What can a ref do about it? - most of it is usually out of his sight and hearing, and it's VERY difficult to punish a player for leaving their foot in just that little bit longer after what was initially a clean challenge.

VanNistelrater

Poncey film buff
MUFC Champions 2006/2007: Where will the goals com
<strong>

And when Keane got sent off at St James, i'm sure plenty of you here were slagging off Shearer and defending the psychotic Irishman.

Swings and roundabouts, pal.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Isnt it somewhat harsh to call him psychotic, hasnt Vieira got sent off as many, if not more, times in his career than Keane?, im sure Gerrard somes quite close.

Are they Psychotic?

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
<strong>

I agree that Smith and Gerrard are two who can get wound up easily - add Keane to that list too.

But surely those who initially try to provoke a situation should be dealt with too?

Such provokation can (as seen tonight) lead to unsavoury incidents, often involving the majority of the 22 players on the field.
Anyone who cannot see a problem with that is being foolish.

As for the Viduka referee - you dont think what he did was the more sensible option than sending off Viduka?

Regarding not applauding him or being happy with his decision...would you have rather seen Viduka sent off and given a Premiership suspension?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It is part and parcel of the game that players try to get others into trouble with the ref.

There will be LFC players that do it at times.

It just so happens that the Gala players are among the worst/best at it.

The better ones don't get caught.

The better players don't get drawn into it...gerrard has the sort of temprement that just won't let him NOT get involved.

You do ask daft questions at times...Of course I would have preferred the ref to do what he did rather than send Vids off....doesn't mean he was right though.

Davo

Originally posted by VanNistlerater:
<strong>

So why not leave me to it?.

You post some utter wank but i dont pick you up on it every time do i.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Feel free to point such wank out..

Then I'll explain it to you, slowly..

VanNistelrater

Poncey film buff
Originally posted by Davo:
<strong>

Lets face it Divey..

You've read it somewhere and adopted it for no good reason haven't you?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No.

When people say Man Utd it just makes me cringe, just like it does when people say "Poo" or "Livershite" or nowadays, even "Chelski".

Name me another person who says he/she dislikes the term?

An Extremely Boring Man

Retired 39,9999 not out
<strong>

And when Keane got sent off at St James, i'm sure plenty of you here were slagging off Shearer and defending the psychotic Irishman.

Swings and roundabouts, pal.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I wasn't - I said Shearer played it to perfection

Basically, are you saying Gerrard is as mad as Keano? Because, if you are, that's quite funny after all the grief you've been adding to the Keano topics :D

DJSpaz

Incredibly Stupid Bitter Biased Embarrassing Caf C
Like Nottingham Forest...you've won it two times..
Originally posted by marchingontogether:
<strong>

Of course I would have preferred the ref to do what he did rather than send Vids off....doesn't mean he was right though.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And the provokation that we're speaking of isnt right either, yet you're defending it.

Strange.

Davo

<strong>

No.

When people say Man Utd it just makes me cringe, just like it does when people say "Poo" or "Livershite" or nowadays, even "Chelski".

Name me another person who says he/she dislikes the term?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why does it make you cringe? To the extent that you had to ask me who "Man Utd" are?

You're jumping on a bandwagon and don't even know why you're doing it. I reckon you do this a lot don't you?

DJSpaz

Originally posted by An Extremely Boring Man:
<strong>

Basically, are you saying Gerrard is as mad as Keano? Because, if you are, that's quite funny after all the grief you've been adding to the Keano topics :D </strong><hr></blockquote>

Until SG goes about deliberately trying to maim and opponent, then writing about it in a book, he has a hell of a long way to go before he can be in Keane's league of insanity.

Marching

<strong>

And the provokation that we're speaking of isnt right either, yet you're defending it.

Strange.</strong><hr></blockquote>

:rolleyes:

I am not defending the provoCation.

I am pointing out it is, and always will be, part and parcel of the game.

Players have to learn to beat it - Gerrard can't.

DJSpaz

<strong>

Isnt it somewhat harsh to call him psychotic, hasnt Vieira got sent off as many, if not more, times in his career than Keane?, im sure Gerrard somes quite close.

Are they Psychotic?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, because the type of offences Keane gets sent off for are usually more serious.

He generally acts in a manner which leads one to question his overall sanity.

No-one else comes close.

Davo

<strong>

:rolleyes:

I am not defending the provoCtion.

I am pointing out it is, and always will, be part and parcel of the game.

Players have to learn to beat it - Gerrard can't.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Gerrard does need to get a grip at times, its as clear as day. I'm not arsed about him getting sent off for verbals in a pre season friendly...but the way he plays, and the way he tackles are always gonna lead to a bit of bother now and then. He needs to clam himself down tho, he always looked more than capable of getting sent off today....and Chelsea last season was just the same..

Hopefully, he won't spend his entire career failing to learn from his mistakes...

An Extremely Boring Man

Retired 39,9999 not out
<strong>

Until SG goes about deliberately trying to maim and opponent, then writing about it in a book, he has a hell of a long way to go before he can be in Keane's league of insanity.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Does that mean that if a player deliberately trying to maim and opponent, but doesn't write about it in a book, is less insane?

Davo

<strong>

Does that mean that if a player deliberately trying to maim and opponent, but doesn't write about it in a book, is less insane?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Course not...

Just less dense

Marching

<strong>

Gerrard does need to get a grip at times, its as clear as day. I'm not arsed about him getting sent off for verbals in a pre season friendly...but the way he plays, and the way he tackles are always gonna lead to a bit of bother now and then. He needs to clam himself down tho, he always looked more than capable of getting sent off today....and Chelsea last season was just the same..

Hopefully, he won't spend his entire career failing to learn from his mistakes...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good post Davo except for the fact that IF Gerrard can't keep himself in control in a meaningless friendly what hope is there for him when it's a game of great importance and the pressure is really on him?

VanNistelrater

Poncey film buff
<strong>

No, because the type of offences Keane gets sent off for are usually more serious.

No-one else comes close.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you basing that on the Haaland incodent alone?, im not condoning it in any way but there was provocation.

Id say Gerrards 'challenge' on Naysmith this year doesnt exactly highlight Gerrard to be sane either.

Davo

<strong>

So who else holds this view on the forum then?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Feck knows...it gets banded around from time to time tho, probably "borrowed" from Red Issue...

Similar to what you've done in fact..

Tho there's normally some attempt to explain the outrage, whereas you can't even do that...

An Extremely Boring Man

Retired 39,9999 not out
<strong>

No-one else comes close.</strong><hr></blockquote>

How many times has Keano got sent off for a challenge like Gerrard had on Campbell?

How many times has Keano got sent off for a challenge like Gerrard had on Boateng?

How many times has Keano got sent off for a challenge like Gerrard had on Naysmith?

VanNistelrater

Poncey film buff
<strong>

Course not...

Just less dense</strong><hr></blockquote>

One thing re the Keane-Haaland incodent.

I think if Haaland had say fallen over and done his ligaments over, Keane would of just been as pleased because he then would have had the chance to stand over Haaland and belittle him and accuse him of faking a painful injury, just like Haaland did to Keane, which was the fuel to Keanes desired revenge in the first place.

Spot the differance:

Davo

<strong>

So, basically, Gerrard is as mad as Keano then...</strong><hr></blockquote>

How do you come to that conclusion?

Gerrard has never pre-meditated an attack like Keane, or spat his dummy out and abandoned his team mates...

VanNistelrater

Poncey film buff
<strong>

Feck knows...it gets banded around from time to time tho, probably "borrowed" from Red Issue...

Similar to what you've done in fact..

Tho there's normally some attempt to explain the outrage, whereas you can't even do that...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Im not a member on Red Issue, i occasionally read thing on there but dont find it a particually good forum, to much red mist descends, riddiculous "sack ferguson" etc., if i was to copy everything of there, id throw a wobbler everytime we loose and demand that ferguson is sacked.

An Extremely Boring Man

Retired 39,9999 not out
<strong>

How do you come to that conclusion?

Gerrard has never pre-meditated an attack like Keane, or spat his dummy out and abandoned his team mates...</strong><hr></blockquote>

His sending off against Chelski last season was very much a "dummy-spitting" affair if you ask me...I'm sure his team mates would have appraciated his help for the last few minutes of the campaign when you desperately tried to qualify for the Champions League qualification rounds

Davo

<strong>

Good post Davo except for the fact that IF Gerrard can't keep himself in control in a meaningless friendly what hope is there for him when it's a game of great importance and the pressure is really on him?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dunno, as I say he may always struggle to keep his cool.

His sending off today was daft mind, verbals to the ref is inconsistent, in that half the time you get away with it...and his first booking was for nothing..

Its his behaviour on occasions such as the Chelsea match which are of more concern...

An Extremely Boring Man

Retired 39,9999 not out
Anyhow, was everyone else delighted to see it was the same old Liverpool, without any imgagination, flair and cutting edge?

Oh, and Hyypia starts reminding me about Blanc. Never was quick, but it seems like he's getting even slower now :D

Davo

[QB]

One thing re the Keane-Haaland incodent.

I think if Haaland had say fallen over and done his ligaments over, Keane would of just been as pleased because he then would have had the chance to stand over Haaland and belittle him and accuse him of faking a painful injury, just like Haaland did to Keane, which was the fuel to Keanes desired revenge in the first place.

<hr></blockquote>

What are you on about? Keane knackered himself in the first place with a poor tackle re Haaland...

His "revenge" attack was cowardly..

Davo

<strong>

Im not a member on Red Issue, i occasionally read thing on there but dont find it a particually good forum, to much red mist descends, riddiculous "sack ferguson" etc., if i was to copy everything of there, id throw a wobbler everytime we loose and demand that ferguson is sacked.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not saying you do copy everything from there..I'm saying that your problem with the term "Man Utd" is the sort of thing that would be an issue on there...from the "hardcore fans"..

The fact that you're unable to explain your funny hatred of the term, makes this more likely..

An Extremely Boring Man

Retired 39,9999 not out
<strong>Can someone clear something up for me...why is Kewell playing on the right, isnt he a left winger/striker?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's Houllier's attempt on making football more complicated than it is

Remember, he's a professor of football

And so's Egil Drillo Olsen

Their tactics and teams often look very alike mind - which is nice

:D

VanNistelrater

Poncey film buff
yes i know but it wasnt the failed tackle that made him want 'revenge' was it.

It was Haaland standing over Keane be-litteing him and implying he was faking injury. Thats what promted Keane to want revenge, and to hurt Haaland so Keane could stand over him in the same way.

Davo

<strong>

His sending off against Chelski last season was very much a "dummy-spitting" affair if you ask me...I'm sure his team mates would have appraciated his help for the last few minutes of the campaign when you desperately tried to qualify for the Champions League qualification rounds</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, he can be a bit of hot-head on the pitch, no doubting that..

Luckily he doesn't spend his non playing time preparing little revenge missions, or storming out of World Cups..

If he did, he's be as mad as Keane

Davo

<strong>yes i know but it wasnt the failed tackle that made him want 'revenge' was it.

It was Haaland standing over Keane be-litteing him and implying he was faking injury. Thats what promted Keane to want revenge, and to hurt Haaland so Keane could stand over him in the same way.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah..nasty Haaland, why would he be annoyed with Keane after being flattened eh?

its a nice little image of Keane you create...dreaming of the day he could stand over Haaland to get his own back..

What a mad bastard....

Davo

<strong>

How do you know he doesn't?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I can't be positive, but given the lack of evidence either way I think its only fair to assume that he doesn't.

After all, its not the behaviour of your average player...only mad bastards would do something like that

VanNistelrater

Poncey film buff
<strong>

yeah..nasty Haaland, why would he be annoyed with Keane after being flattened eh?

its a nice little image of Keane you create...dreaming of the day he could stand over Haaland to get his own back..

What a mad bastard....</strong><hr></blockquote>

"Take that you cnut and dont ever stand over me again accusing me of faking an injury"
(or words to that affect)

From Keanes Auto-Biog.

One thing its obvious Keane prides himself on is being an honest player (probably too honest for his own good) and for someone to imply hes faking injury and thus somewhat label him a primadonna, hurt his pride to the extreme, wouldnt it you?

An Extremely Boring Man

Retired 39,9999 not out
<strong>

I can't be positive, but given the lack of evidence either way I think its only fair to assume that he doesn't.

After all, its not the behaviour of your average player...only mad bastards would do something like that</strong><hr></blockquote>

The "tackles" performed by Gerrard on Naysmith, Boateng and Campbell are not the behaviour of your average player either...only mad bastards would do something like that

BusbyReds

<strong>
Luckily he doesn't spend his non playing time preparing little revenge missions,</strong><hr></blockquote>

feck's sake, if you honestly think Keano is the only player with a mental list of players to "get," then you're fecking naïve.