'No comments' news threads in the Transfer Forum

"No Comments" Player News Threads

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ciderman9000000

Would anyone support the idea of having separate threads in the transfer forum for our major targets which were solely used for the posting of updates and media reports regarding the player's status, interested clubs and other relevant transfer related stories; one in which additional comments were not allowed?

This would mean having two threads on each player, one for only the updates and another just the same as the current thread format in which both news and commentary may be posted.

I think this would be beneficial for those of us who quickly want to check the latest news regarding X, Y or Z without having to wade through pages and pages of discussions about SAF's transfer policy, us being skint or whether X would work in a two-man midfield with Y etc.

It needn't be for every player we're linked with, perhaps just the names that won't go away - Ashley Young, De Gae, Wesley Sneijder et al.

A uniform thread title could be used for each individual for easy reference. "Ashley Young: UPDATES (No Comments)" for example.

What do you think? Good idea or waste of time?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Good idea IMO, normally you see people there fighting among themselves rather than discussing the topic.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Didn't this happen before with some of the more insane muppet dramas like Berbatov, when the main transfer thread got too weird? Worked pretty well.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Imo its a bit of a waste of time as there are thousands of football news sites out there and I personally always check the news on other sites (bbc, sky, manutd.com) before coming here to discuss it or read other posters discussing it.

Plus youve still got the added problem we have now of muppets desperate to be the first to post something for rep or whatever.

ciderman9000000

Imo its a bit of a waste of time as there are thousands of football news sites out there and I personally always check the news on other sites (bbc, sky, manutd.com) before coming here to discuss it or read other posters discussing it.

Plus youve still got the added problem we have now of muppets desperate to be the first to post something for rep or whatever.
I get that, but I personally only ever use redcafe for all my footballing news; I think it may be beneficial to the site to have all that stuff easily accessible right here in the forums, especially during the transfer window. I can't be arsed looking over four or five different websites, I'd rather just click the relevant thread on here and be presented with the latest news in an instant. I realise that this is primarily a discussion rather than news website, but discussion often follows on from news, and the former may be better facilitated if the latter was more accessible.

As for muppets trying to be first to post the latest news; meh. Surely that happens anyway in the usual threads, I can't see much harm in it. Having a few threads specifically and only for updates would just tidy up the process imo.

The White Pele

I like this idea and I can certainly see a benefit to it.

For that reason, I'm willing to offer you half the money for 20% of the business.

SecondFig

Think it's worth trying, the current transfer threads are getting so big and sluggish that I don't bother checking them any more

ciderman9000000

I find it as a good idea, but I imagine it would be difficult to carry it into effect.
Not really, I don't imagine it would be.

I could start a thread right now called "Ashley Young: UPDATES ONLY (no comments)" in the transfer forum. Open with some simple instructions; "This thread is for the posting of linked media updates regarding the possible transfer of Ashley Young. Please do not post any additional comments."

Add a link to the usual Ashley Young thread for continuity and it's away. What difficulties do you forsee? I know that some idiots wouldn't understand at first, but it'd soon catch on if one of the mods would be willing to take the time to delete the few stray posts that don't comply with the spirit of the thing.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The idea is a pretty good one, but I think an update thread for each of the so called 'main targets' would take up too much room and make a bit of a mess of the TF.

I reckon a single 'updates only' sticky thread for all of them would work better. One thread where you know you will only get news rather than the guff you mention in the OP. It's not like there's such a stream of proper updates that anything will get lost just because it's about more than one player, and it'd be tidier.

ciderman9000000

The idea is a pretty good one, but I think an update thread for each of the so called 'main targets' would take up too much room and make a bit of a mess of the TF.

I reckon a single 'updates only' sticky thread for all of them would work better. One thread where you know you will only get news rather than the guff you mention in the OP. It's not like there's such a stream of proper updates that anything will get lost just because it's about more than one player, and it'd be tidier.
Yeah I considered that; it might be the best way to go about it. The thread would have to be strictly United related news in that case though, as to have transfer news of any variety could end up being just as cluttered and difficult to decipher as ever.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yea, definitely. If it's made clear in the OP and/or thread title then I'm sure it'll work well.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Great idea.

Quite often you'll see a thread bumped and then have to trawl back through a few pages of kermit pictures, people posting the :drool: emoticon and people saying "do not want" before finding the reason it was bumped in the first place.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I don't understand the "Waste of time" comments. If you feel it's a waste of time, don't read or post in the thread.
I think you're misunderstanding his point. If someone wants to quickly be able to check for the latest 'news' on a potential transfer this idea would prevent them having to trawl through numerous pages of possible line ups or arguments over whether the said target is any good etc.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Would anyone support the idea of having separate threads in the transfer forum for our major targets which were solely used for the posting of updates and media reports regarding the player's status, interested clubs and other relevant transfer related stories; one in which additional comments were not allowed?

This would mean having two threads on each player, one for only the updates and another just the same as the current thread format in which both news and commentary may be posted.

I think this would be beneficial for those of us who quickly want to check the latest news regarding X, Y or Z without having to wade through pages and pages of discussions about SAF's transfer policy, us being skint or whether X would work in a two-man midfield with Y etc.

It needn't be for every player we're linked with, perhaps just the names that won't go away - Ashley Young, De Gae, Wesley Sneijder et al.

A uniform thread title could be used for each individual for easy reference. "Ashley Young: UPDATES (No Comments)" for example.

What do you think? Good idea or waste of time?
Let's try it with one player and see how it goes. If it works we can expand to include others.

Brophs

The One and Only
Yeah, I like that idea, one locked thread that will be updated with news articles only.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I propose someone start a thread on De Gea, since he seems our only realistic signing so far. Whoever starts the thread will be responsible for updates after the thread is locked.

MrK

I like this idea, it'll be interesting to see how it works out.

I'd propose maybe Young rather than De Gea though, because if the De Gea reports that have been around for the last couple of weeks are true (which seems likely), then we're probably not going to see many updates to the story until the end of the month when the deal is announced as being done. In which case the discussion will be moved out of the transfer forum anyway.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Right, Young would be a decent one as well. Who wants to volunteer to maintain the thread with updates ?

Brophs

The One and Only
Cider should have the honour since it was his idea but if not I don't mind doing it, albeit I'll expect you lot to send me links to stories if you see anything.

ciderman9000000

Right, Young would be a decent one as well. Who wants to volunteer to maintain the thread with updates ?
I'd originally thought that the thread could be updated by anyone, Raoul, not just one poster. As long as someone has a link to a media story related to the transfer of the player in question then they should be able to post it, that way the thread will always be kept up to date with the latest news, without the need for any maintenance other than perhaps somebody to delete any irrelevant posts that don't follow the simple rules outlined in the OP.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I dont think its a bad idea. Worst case scenario you just dont use said threads if not interested.

Its a right pain in the ass having to trawl through pages of a thread in the transfer forum to find the most recent actual update. Whilst I do just other news sites to get info, the sheer volume of posters on here means that within 5 minutes of there being an update on virtually any site around the world, we have it posted up.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'd originally thought that the thread could be updated by anyone, Raoul, not just one poster. As long as someone has a link to a media story related to the transfer of the player in question then they should be able to post it, that way the thread will always be kept up to date with the latest news, without the need for any maintenance other than perhaps somebody to delete any irrelevant posts that don't follow the simple rules outlined in the OP.
Ok, that works as well. Why don't you start a thread in the Transfers and see how it goes.

Brophs

The One and Only
Can I make one suggestion? The story itself should be copied and pasted into quote tags with the link beneath it so people don't have to leave the site to read the story.

Lance Uppercut

Was the idea not to post the article and include a link to the source?

A thread full of links that most people (and by that I mean me) won't click on seems a bit pointless.

EDIT DIEBROPHSDIE.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Can I make one suggestion? The story itself should be copied and pasted into quote tags with the link beneath it so people don't have to leave the site to read the story.
Yeah, a bunch of links seems a bit underwhelming. Best to paste both story and link.

Phil

Great idea, one that has been sorely needed.

I feel this should be done for all players or there should be one giant thread for all transfer rumours about all players.

ciderman9000000

If this goes well then we could have similar threads (all of the exact same format) for each of the players United are being linked with; this would make it easy for anyone browsing the Caf to keep up to date with all the latest news without ever having to leave the site. Just from a personal point of view that would be a huge improvement on the current design of the Transfer Forum.

Perhaps even a sub-forum would be applicable, one in which a whole host of similar threads could be situated, which would relieve the need for only focussing such on the most prominently rumoured about players as there wouldn't be any multiple threads (one for discussion and one for updates only) potentially causing confusion in the same forum.