• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No harm in giving it a go. Naturally, the more posters who contribute articles the better.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I don't think it'll work, probably only works in preseason since there's the muppet hour,

We're talking about news updates, and i believe there won't be that much worthy to update on daily, weekly, even monthly basis.

The Modric watch, will probably be filled with 2-3 updates baring actual transfer to united, even then the news updates probably overlaps one another

All i'm saying is, there's not much news to merit it's own thread

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Not about "preventing discussion", as the post I just made a half hour ago should make clear. It's about allowing someone to read the transfer reports without the muppetry. No discussion whatsoever is prevented.
I believe there's a more concise and apt site for that purpose alone, we're here to banter, we don't come here for news, we're here to discuss the event.

Having a "poster contributed news section w/ no comments" is kinda defeats the whole purpose when we can easily click one link and the whole news is there.

Besides, we're gonna have this "No comment on Modric, lindegard, x, y, z, a,b,c with 1-2 news updates every month?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
We may be better off consolidating all players into one thread.

Thoughts ?
IMO Raoul, you can make certain buffer... say 10+ pages then it might:
1. deserve a sub forum
2. deserve a 2nd part in separate thread)
3. Be a sticky
etc

Or if there's 5 thread over Messi then you can adversely:
1. Merge them
2. Open them a mega thread with sub forum
etc

Or perhaps :

You give a new "Berbatov" thread 1 day to reach 5+ pages or merged into the mega thread, if it reaches "Your buffer" then it merits its own thread

If it reaches your buffer it deserves it, if it doesn't then it doesn't

I can see the argument from both sides, and yes I prefer 1 thread for 1 occasion, and not the mega thread which takes up time and effort to really dwell into it, but you can't always please everyone. SOme leniency and we'll be cluttered with messi x, messi y, berbatov x, berbatov y, and too strict will make us rawkish, i can see that 1 year old thread still looming there everyday.

To be honest, I like it the way it is now,

Excal

It's becoming apparent that certain transfer muppets are the born-again evangelical Christians of the caf. It's not enough for them to have their muppet threads way they like it. They need you to have them the way they like it as well, even if the way someone else might like it would in no way impinge on their threads.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
We may be better off consolidating all players into one thread.

Thoughts ?
I like the idea and I think a single thread might not really serve the purpose as well as a thread per main transfer target. The only problems I can foresee are:-

1) people ignoring the "no comments" bit but that is easily dealt with.
2) how do we decide which players deserve a thread of their own? The rest could go in "all other transfer targets"?
3) how will this work during the season when there is usually less transfer news?

Excal

I like the idea and I think a single thread might not really serve the purpose as well as a thread per main transfer target. The only problems I can foresee are:-

1) people ignoring the "no comments" bit but that is easily dealt with.
2) how do we decide which players deserve a thread of their own? The rest could go in "all other transfer targets"?
3) how will this work during the season when there is usually less transfer news?
1) is easily dealt with, like you say.
2) might be a "Who's getting a lot of conversation in their thread" sort of call. The three we have are the obvious yes-es, De Gea would be if that weren't basically settled. Maybes are the Varane/Rodwell level.
3) There probably won't be much call for them. Don't see why people have used this as an argument that they shouldn't be used when there is.

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
Make a single thread for all players lest we end up with two threads for several players in the transfer forum.

Posters who post links in the 'no comments thread' thread can post the links and send the same to the OP of the 'no comments thread'. The OP in question could then update the links either in the OP or separate posts for each player(I guess the modmins can sort out or the OP can himself reserve the first few posts for this).
The opening post can then be updated with permalinks to each player specific post.

Thoughts?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Is it just Cider doing them at the moment? I'm a bit wary of things that depend on individual psoters because they get battle weary and stop e.g. match commentary threads or everyone does them and you get the stupidity of competition to see who can start one first e.g. matchday threads

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Is it just Cider doing them at the moment? I'm a bit wary of things that depend on individual psoters because they get battle weary and stop e.g. match commentary threads or everyone does them and you get the stupidity of competition to see who can start one first e.g. matchday threads
As I said above your post, a single thread can be managed with a brief effort.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Make a single thread for all players lest we end up with two threads for several players in the transfer forum.

Posters who post links in the 'no comments thread' thread can post the links and send the same to the OP of the 'no comments thread'. The OP in question could then update the links either in the OP or separate posts for each player(I guess the modmins can sort out or the OP can himself reserve the first few posts for this).
The opening post can then be updated with permalinks to each player specific post.

Thoughts?
I suspect it would only work for a short initial period of enthusiasm.

I tend to think that all we need to do is see how this experiment goes and then fine tune.

Good idea Cider.

Excal

Do the threads actually need active "managing", though? As I'm understanding it, the idea is not to put every single link in each thread's OP, but rather just to have links collect in one comment-free area so we can all see them without getting lost in discussions, people posting links that have already been posted, etc.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I don't think they do other than making sure people don't comment. As you say it is just a series of posts with a new post every time there is a new newspaper article or similar to post.

I guess the only issue that would require managing is if people start 4 gazillion such threads with 4 gazillion -3 actually requiring a separate thread. Maybe we need (or should try) a miscellaneous player no comment news thread?

ciderman9000000

Would it be possible to set up an 'updates' sub-forum in the Transfer Forum which could be filled with these threads, separate threads for each individual player, Wibs? Anyone could start one then using the same rules that govern the usual Transfer Forum, i.e. no multiples of threads. It would allow us then to have as many threads on as many different players as we'd like without ever cluttering up the main Forum. This way there would be no decisions to be made as to which players deserve their own thread and which don't (they can all have one no matter how obscure), and also there would be no need for any complicated opening posts of thread titles as the rules of the system could simply be outlined in a sticky at the top of the page. Also, anyone who's offended by the idea wouldn't ever have to even see the threads; it'd just be somewhere where we can read all the latest news right here on the caf, clearly defined, player by player, with our most recently linked player always being right there at the top.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
We shud just put a sub forum for news then

Who will have the right to say your news is > my news?

IMO : You want news go read a paper, you think it's merit a debate post it and ask for a banter

ciderman9000000

We shud just put a sub forum for news then

Who will have the right to say your news is > my news?

IMO : You want news go read a paper, you think it's merit a debate post it and ask for a banter
Why would it ever have to be a competition as to who's news is the best? :houllier:

The fact is, all these links are getting posted on the caf anyway, they're just mixed up within long discussion threads meaning it can often take a while to find the latest stories. All this is is a system of organising the links that are already being posted in such a way as that we can access the latest ones immediately and with no fuss or scrolling through pages. I can't see why the idea seems so offensive to some people; we're not suggesting any major changes, simply organising the already existing content in a more accessible manner.

Valentino

I believe those threads are pretty pointless. The way United handle their transfers. Its all hush hush and announced only when its all wrapped up. There almost never any transfer speculation on real United targets. You can even use it as a rule if a player transfer speculation is all over knews , United probably aint interested. Of course press link club with players, last summer each day we could have read about J Cole and german Kid Ozil joining United. But even know we cant say if the United were interested in any of them.

I wanna ask the idea author. Over last 7 years, how many players do you think were worthy to have a separate news only thread? I can only think of Wayne Rooney, carlos tevez, Dimitar Berbatov and Maybe Owen H. Thats it. All the transfers that was all over the press and there was actually something happening. So maybe this is what we should have done instead of creating thread for any players in the news. Just wait and see if there is any knew BERBA like sagas that would require a link only threads.

because if guys dont want go through transfer muppet comments in Sneijder or Modric threads to find news links, i doubt you are missing much.

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
I quite like the idea. As long as the number of threads dedicated to individual players are limited or in-charge by a single person there is no hassle and is quite a nice thing. If not, make some effort and manage it in a single thread. Sub-forums? Not too sure about that and I doubt the modmins would oblige for a perma sub-forum just for a news section. You can always try.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I believe those threads are pretty pointless. The way United handle their transfers. Its all hush hush and announced only when its all wrapped up. There almost never any transfer speculation on real United targets. You can even use it as a rule if a player transfer speculation is all over knews , United probably aint interested. Of course press link club with players, last summer each day we could have read about J Cole and german Kid Ozil joining United. But even know we cant say if the United were interested in any of them.

I wanna ask the idea author. Over last 7 years, how many players do you think were worthy to have a separate news only thread? I can only think of Wayne Rooney, carlos tevez, Dimitar Berbatov and Maybe Owen H. Thats it. All the transfers that was all over the press and there was actually something happening. So maybe this is what we should have done instead of creating thread for any players in the news. Just wait and see if there is any knew BERBA like sagas that would require a link only threads.

because if guys dont want go through transfer muppet comments in Sneijder or Modric threads to find news links, i doubt you are missing much.
So in your first paragraph you say that players we end up signing are never in the news and the ones in the news never happen, then in your second paragraph you list a bunch of players who were heavily linked with and then signed.

Impressive work.

If you don't want to use the 'no comments' threads then don't open them and continue to use the existing discussion threads, why is that so hard for you?

Valentino

So in your first paragraph you say that players we end up signing are never in the news and the ones in the news never happen, then in your second paragraph you list a bunch of players who were heavily linked with and then signed.

Impressive work.

If you don't want to use the 'no comments' threads then don't open them and continue to use the existing discussion threads, why is that so hard for you?
dude obviously there are exceptions. But those exceptions comes 1-2 per 3 years. If there was just 4 players in last 7 years that were worthy no comments thread. i think it adds to 1st paragraph and not contradicts it.

EDIT : with 2nd praragraph i wanted to say that if there is a New Berba like saga, sure fair enough to have a news only thread, it would be very helpful. But to have one for every Modric and Sneijder is just a waste.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Would it be possible to set up an 'updates' sub-forum in the Transfer Forum which could be filled with these threads, separate threads for each individual player, Wibs? Anyone could start one then using the same rules that govern the usual Transfer Forum, i.e. no multiples of threads. It would allow us then to have as many threads on as many different players as we'd like without ever cluttering up the main Forum. This way there would be no decisions to be made as to which players deserve their own thread and which don't (they can all have one no matter how obscure), and also there would be no need for any complicated opening posts of thread titles as the rules of the system could simply be outlined in a sticky at the top of the page. Also, anyone who's offended by the idea wouldn't ever have to even see the threads; it'd just be somewhere where we can read all the latest news right here on the caf, clearly defined, player by player, with our most recently linked player always being right there at the top.
Niall is very much against the use of new subforums unless really necessary but I'll ask. I personally like the idea of the main targets having their own thread and the rest having a miscellaneous thread. But there may be management issues I suppose.

Anyone who is offended is being a bit odd IMO. If you don't like it then don't read it and FFS give it a go to see if it works.

ciderman9000000

Niall is very much against the use of new subforums unless really necessary but I'll ask. I personally like the idea of the main targets having their own thread and the rest having a miscellaneous thread. But there may be management issues I suppose.

Anyone who is offended is being a bit odd IMO. If you don't like it then don't read it and FFS give it a go to see if it works.
Nice one, man.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Why would it ever have to be a competition as to who's news is the best? :houllier:

The fact is, all these links are getting posted on the caf anyway, they're just mixed up within long discussion threads meaning it can often take a while to find the latest stories. All this is is a system of organising the links that are already being posted in such a way as that we can access the latest ones immediately and with no fuss or scrolling through pages. I can't see why the idea seems so offensive to some people; we're not suggesting any major changes, simply organising the already existing content in a more accessible manner.
Nope, not that i care, but then again everyone will come up with something "he/she" groundsbreaking and they'll all want to start a thread on it.

But then again, you're so adamant, just give it a try.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
agreed...

I'll contribute as and when I can, amazing the amount of flack this is getting, people just like to moan I guess...

If it's such a bad idea it will die a thousand deaths no doubt, so what's the problem? Anybody would think Cider is trying to kill the caf...

ciderman9000000

agreed...

I'll contribute as and when I can, amazing the amount of flack this is getting, people just like to moan I guess...

If it's such a bad idea it will die a thousand deaths no doubt, so what's the problem? Anybody would think Cider is trying to kill the caf...
I think it's just a case of a few posters simply making the honest mistake of confusing an idea for the transfer forum with the onset of armageddon. It's perfectly understandable when you think about it.

afrocentricity

It would be a good idea for those interested in these threads to subscribe to them, any new updates should then be emailed to you... tada!

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Excellent idea. It doesn't look that great having to read it like that, or the potential duplicates, but it serves a clear purpose, providing updates which can be read clearly and efficiently. I would say perhaps a sub-forum would be better, or a thread which has the links to each players news update thread, this keeps it organized and the whole Transfer Forum easier on the eye.

If you don't like it, ignore it, there is nothing you can be upset about.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
dude obviously there are exceptions. But those exceptions comes 1-2 per 3 years. If there was just 4 players in last 7 years that were worthy no comments thread. i think it adds to 1st paragraph and not contradicts it.

EDIT : with 2nd praragraph i wanted to say that if there is a New Berba like saga, sure fair enough to have a news only thread, it would be very helpful. But to have one for every Modric and Sneijder is just a waste.
You're confusing the transfer forum with a real transfer forum. The CAF Transfer forum is mainly a place to discuss rumors, not legitimate transfers. We know that the club usually hold their cards close.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Been in the Transfer forum and like these update threads. I can glance at the new rumours without having to trawl through the discussion thread.

Those who want to discuss can chatter to their heart's content in the other thread. In theory everyone's happy.

Well done Cider!

(Just so they don't disappear as muppet excitement increases....any chance of stickying them until the player's sold or decides to stay where he is?)

Raoul

Admin
Staff
RD, we probably won't be stickying them since there would be too many threads to stick, thereby pushing non-stickied threads half way down the page. If however, there was one thread for all players, it would be more realistic to stick it.

afrocentricity

Or as I said, subscribe to them. If there any updates it'll pop up in your UCP, and email inbox...

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
RD, we probably won't be stickying them since there would be too many threads to stick, thereby pushing non-stickied threads half way down the page. If however, there was one thread for all players, it would be more realistic to stick it.
OK that's fine. I suppose if there are any updates the thread will be on the first page anyway. If there aren't any we don't need to bother reading it.

afrocentricity

It's now where you start to see that this IS a good idea (re the Young updates).

1) Message to my phone/inbox indicating a few new updates.
2) Click link to thread, read new update without scrolling through the muppetfest.
3) Already on the caf so join the other thread and read/contribute to the muppetfest.

Simples...