'No comments' news threads in the Transfer Forum

"No Comments" Player News Threads

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If we get an overwhelmingly positive response to keep these (as seems to be the case so far), we can do another poll to see whether its best to keep individual player threads or consolidate all relevant news stories into one thread, which we can then sticky.

WeasteDevil

I think they are a great idea. They don't restrict discussion, merely give an undiluted source of news. I haven't voluntarily come into this forum in years but I do now for these threads.
So what the hell is the blog for? The blog gets posted, it creates threads anyway for discussion. I don't know if blog updates do something to the discussion threads or not, if not, they should do. Blog edited, adds a post to the discussion thread. It's as simple as that! Maybe one problem is that the blogs are not promoted as much as they should be in various parts of the website, but threads on a discussion forum without any discussion is retarded!

It's trying to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist!

WeasteDevil

If we get an overwhelmingly positive response to keep these (as seems to be the case so far)
People eat too much shite food, but should their habits be a model for everyone else? I understand the idea behind it, but it could be dealt with in far better ways. This suggestion is just making a mess for the sake of making a mess. Christ, the website used to have a real front page with news, do you remember? Why not go back to that? Do the news stuff and everything in the blogs, and create a proper front page again, with the forum off as a link?

Chrisjn

I think your Gould leave it at a single no comments transfer thread. It won't get over crowded as it will only be news and people can always put a title on the top of their posts to enable people to see which player is being highlighted.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I think they're sound. Always found it frustrating when the thread on a player was bumped to the top of the page and I would zoom into the thread all excited hoping that some major news was in there, only to findsomeones rather useless opinion instead. Keep them I say.

Excal

People eat too much shite food, but should their habits be a model for everyone else?
Utter nonsense. If you're going to make a food analogy, it's this: The menu at Chez Muppet, which previously featured only burgers, now has salads as well. If you considered the restaurant a burger joint, have no interest in going to the restaurant for salads, and can't see the point of having salads in the first place, (never mind the fact that many of the people at the other tables quite like them,) you don't have to order the fecking salads, do you? The burgers are still right there where they've always been!

ciderman9000000

Considering the fact that the majority appreciate them, can anyone give a valid reason for not having these threads?

It seems to me that a few posters are being very vocal against the idea purely because it doesn't interest them; my question to those would be: how does it negatively affect you?

I'd suggest that it doesn't negatively affect anyone at all. These threads are simply helpful additions to the Transfer Forum which in no way detract from the discussions going on in the other threads. Can anyone give any valid reason whatsoever why that might not be an accurate observation?

If there is no negative affect (aside from a few posters having a moan about nothing), and plenty of positive response, then surely the No Comments threads should stay because, whilst a lot of people have found them to be very helpful, nobody can come up with a valid reason for them to be scrapped other than that they personally don't find them very helpful.

ciderman9000000

If we get an overwhelmingly positive response to keep these (as seems to be the case so far), we can do another poll to see whether its best to keep individual player threads or consolidate all relevant news stories into one thread, which we can then sticky.
How about we have one sticky with one single OP that contains the links to all the other No Comments threads?

The problem I foresee with a single thread containing all our transfer news stories would be that it would get quickly bogged-down with irrelevent stories about every player under the sun, which would once again make it difficult to find the latest news on our most discussed targets.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
How about we have one sticky with one single OP that contains the links to all the other No Comments threads?

The problem I foresee with a single thread containing all our transfer news stories would be that it would get quickly bogged-down with irrelevent stories about every player under the sun, which would once again make it difficult to find the latest news on our most discussed targets.
I think each thread should stand up on its own. If it drifts to page two of the transfers then interest in the player in question is obviously too low to sustain keeping it in the first place.

The one thread idea is more feasible and we could get around the prospect of having random player articles included by editing the OP to list the players we are interested in seeing articles about.

Valentino

Those threads aint helpful at all. is it? Young and De Gea transfers pretty much was done before they were created. Jones got the threads by surprise and one was created after he got medical. as per Mdric Snejder and others there wasnt any real development was it? on their threads just couple of recycled articles that says nothing new.

WeasteDevil

Considering the fact that the majority appreciate them, can anyone give a valid reason for not having these threads?

It seems to me that a few posters are being very vocal against the idea purely because it doesn't interest them; my question to those would be: how does it negatively affect you?
The idea itself is sound, the implementation of it is not IMO. It's sort of like the Wiki. That whole thing sprung up because of one thing, I asked Bury Red if I could have a sticky thread to simply provide information about Manchester with some photos. It then ended up as a forum of its own, and then was sensibly transferred into being the RedCafe Wiki which is far more suitable a medium for it to exist in.

All I'm saying is that what you are trying to do here could be done in a far better way than simply using no-comment threads. One possible better way to do this I feel would be to revert back to the old style front page where blog posts become news items. So the space on the front page where the blog posts show up and where the forum posts show up are swapped.

Excal

From the Alexis Sanchez no comments thread:

Neither of the above are updates, both links were prior to this thread being made.

I think these threads need to be clamped down to UPDATES rather than just articles that have yet to be posted in said thread
Since the purpose of the no comments thread is to provide updates to people who aren't likely to search the main 72-page Alexis Sanchez thread, I fail to see the problem.

MrK

From the Alexis Sanchez no comments thread:

Since the purpose of the no comments thread is to provide updates to people who aren't likely to search the main 72-page Alexis Sanchez thread, I fail to see the problem.
Aye, I think the intention is to give an at a glance 'current state of events' regarding particular transfers, so it makes sense to post the most recent news stories when the thread is first opened.

Really, all that needs clamping down on is people writing moaning posts in the updates only threads ;)

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Those threads aint helpful at all. is it? Young and De Gea transfers pretty much was done before they were created. Jones got the threads by surprise and one was created after he got medical. as per Mdric Snejder and others there wasnt any real development was it? on their threads just couple of recycled articles that says nothing new.
That's because the updates are posted in the main thread as opposed to the updates thread.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Because having followed the story for the past 24 hours when I saw that thread bumped I assumed there was an actual update, not just some troll posting a link to an article 90% of the forum have already read since about midnight last night

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That's a strange definition of a troll you got there.

If you don't find the threads useful, don't open them. If you want to discuss the transfer, post in the other thread.

Seriously, the rules in those threads are incredibly simple. Only post links. How hard is that for people to grasp?

ciderman9000000

The idea itself is sound, the implementation of it is not IMO. It's sort of like the Wiki. That whole thing sprung up because of one thing, I asked Bury Red if I could have a sticky thread to simply provide information about Manchester with some photos. It then ended up as a forum of its own, and then was sensibly transferred into being the RedCafe Wiki which is far more suitable a medium for it to exist in.

All I'm saying is that what you are trying to do here could be done in a far better way than simply using no-comment threads. One possible better way to do this I feel would be to revert back to the old style front page where blog posts become news items. So the space on the front page where the blog posts show up and where the forum posts show up are swapped.
You say the implementation is wrong, but haven't told us why? What's wrong it?

All this is a simple method of separating interesting updates on our transfer activity from the often long-winded, off-topic and irreverent discussions that go on in the usual TF threads. What's so wrong with the implementation of it?

It's simple.
There's only a few threads, with a few posts in each one, that can be quickly referenced in order to find the latest information.

It's practical.
Anyone can post the latest report n the threads, it takes no special privileges and the only moderation needed is the click of the 'delete' button when some muppet fails to follow instructions.

It's useful.
The threads drop off the front page when nothing new has been reported, so when they pop back to the top again anyone can see at a glance that there's been a noteworthy development; this is not the case for the discussion threads, which can either be bumped randomly by someone saying 'It'll never happen', or else stay right at the top for days without any new developments whatsoever.

And it doesn't require any complete overhaul of the entire homepage to accommodate.
Which is what you'd seem to prefer.

Would you disagree with any of the above? Or are you just moaning for the sake of moaning?

Valentino

That's a strange definition of a troll you got there.

If you don't find the threads useful, don't open them. If you want to discuss the transfer, post in the other thread.
Mate those threads goes against the fundamentals of internet forum. people come here to post comments, share their views with other. and you start creating threads of no comments. no wonder people get upset.

Excal

I like the stated assumption that 90% of caftards are transfer muppets who are out scouring the gossip sites for the latest bit of fact-free "reporting", and would therefore have seen those hours-old links long before.

ciderman9000000

Mate those threads goes against the fundamentals of internet forum. people come here to post comments, share their views with other. and you start creating threads of no comments. no wonder people get upset.
Think of this as a trailblazing adventure then. We're entering a brave new world, throwing out the Internet forum rulebook, breaking down barriers and letting our imaginations run wild. We're stood at the threshold of the techno-future, red pill in one hand, blue pill in the other - open your eyes and become a revolutionary or forever remain a philistine; the choice is your's.

Lance Uppercut

It is a pity more people don't use them. A lot of news/articles are still going into the discussion threads.

Valentino

It is a pity more people don't use them. A lot of news/articles are still going into the discussion threads.
maybe people do it out of principle. they consider these threads wrong, and dont wanna to contribute anything to them.

Lance Uppercut

maybe people do it out of principle. they consider these threads wrong, and dont wanna to contribute anything to them.
In that case, these "people" should be placed into large sacks and roundly beaten with cudgels.

ciderman9000000

The intention was never to stop news articles being posted in the discussion threads, they should be posted there, of course. It'd just be helpful if anyone with a new link would post the story in the update thread too.

:lol:

You're one the most over-dramatic little princesses I've met on here. "OMG stop threating fundamentals of Internet!"

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Posters who deliberately post in wrong threads on internet forums "for principle" have serious issues.

Lance Uppercut

That's where the "update thread believers" need to help each other out and cross-post accordingly.
Unfortunately, you would need to constantly wade through countless pics of muppets, spam, and drool in order to find them. You know what those threads are like. It would also defeat the purpose of the 'NO COMMENTS' threads in the first place.

It's a vicious circle.

Irwin

what would be ideal would be to have 1 thread for each player but with an optional "notes" box that sits at the top of long threads which contains developments in chronological order, so no matter what page your on you can see what's been happening. There's probably a vbulletin mod for that but I don't know if anyone cares enough to make it worthwhile.

WeasteDevil

You say the implementation is wrong, but haven't told us why? What's wrong it?
I have, it's best done with a blog, and blogs spawn threads in any case.

All this is a simple method of separating interesting updates on our transfer activity from the often long-winded, off-topic and irreverent discussions that go on in the usual TF threads. What's so wrong with the implementation of it?
Because it's best done through the blog, you just need to change the layout of the front page. Do I need to make a mock-up?

It's simple.
There's only a few threads, with a few posts in each one, that can be quickly referenced in order to find the latest information.
So is the blog.

It's practical.
Anyone can post the latest report n the threads, it takes no special privileges and the only moderation needed is the click of the 'delete' button when some muppet fails to follow instructions.
Why can't the person of the blog update it? This isn't SSN!

It's useful.
The threads drop off the front page when nothing new has been reported, so when they pop back to the top again anyone can see at a glance that there's been a noteworthy development; this is not the case for the discussion threads, which can either be bumped randomly by someone saying 'It'll never happen', or else stay right at the top for days without any new developments whatsoever.
An update to the blog would do the same thing.

And it doesn't require any complete overhaul of the entire homepage to accommodate.
Which is what you'd seem to prefer.
It would take half an hour!

Would you disagree with any of the above? Or are you just moaning for the sake of moaning?
I'm simply telling you that there are better ways to do what you wish to achieve.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
It's not better, for the simple reason that people wouldn't use it, so it wouldn't work. The idea only works if the first person to stumble upon an actual update posts it, and most people don't go near the blog.