'No comments' news threads in the Transfer Forum

"No Comments" Player News Threads

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WeasteDevil

most people don't go near the blog.
Because it's not visible really is it?

Go back and look what the front page was like in 2000! If enough people get involved, then you can recreate that, and you can have categories also, so say in the transfer windows you can put transfers as the main category.

I think some of you are a bit dense!

WeasteDevil

Why's it best done through a blog? What the feck you talking about?

You're spazzing out, you monkey.
Has the BBC ever delivered transfer news (or any other news for that matter) through non-reply posts on something like the 606 forums? If not, why not? Everything you see on the BBC website is basically a small blog that then gets ordered. There is a very simple reason why they do not do what they do through a medium of a forum, however they can attach a forum to the blog posts if they so wish.

You however clearly know better than the biggest news collecting and broadcasting organisation on the planet.

ciderman9000000

So what you're saying then is that, 44 out of 62 caftards agree that I'm more clever and ingenuitive than the BBC?

Hot dog!

Makki

QUITTER
freguson y u rest the ginger prawn hes most import
I think the general idea is very good, but I'm unsure over the way they're currently used.

-----------------

One idea is to have one big thread for all major targets as they're used now (considering how little activity there is in them due to only very reliable articles making the cut). The thread could be marked with the players' names, and an asterisk could be edited into the thread title next to the player whom the latest update concerns. Maybe something like this:

Transfer updates (Sanchez, Sneijder, Modric, Young*, De Gea)

With the asterisk indicating that the latest article posted in the thread is about Young.

-----------------

My second idea would be to have separate threads for each player, but expand the news flow that makes the cut. I would have three posts for each player at the start of the thread that can be edited continually.

* One post which would contain links to actual nailed on information, like Guardiola confirming their negotiations with Udinese.
* One post which could contain links to speculative articles, like "United swoop for £27m Alexis Sanchez",
* One post for for Twitter speculation from renowned journalists and "ITK" people.

After those three posts with only links and the headline (or short quotes with the Twitter content), all articles could be posted with the full article quoted.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think it works really well because I can get the genuine transfer news without wading through pages and pages of dribble. I don't think a single thread is workable although a miscellaneous player thread for players on the second tier of transfer muppetry may work. We could have a sticky that contains links to all of the No Comments threads but we don't really want any more stickies.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Has the BBC ever delivered transfer news (or any other news for that matter) through non-reply posts on something like the 606 forums? If not, why not? Everything you see on the BBC website is basically a small blog that then gets ordered. There is a very simple reason why they do not do what they do through a medium of a forum, however they can attach a forum to the blog posts if they so wish.

You however clearly know better than the biggest news collecting and broadcasting organisation on the planet.
But I don't want to read my news that way. I want a simple, quick to read summary of what all the main press have to say without wading through comments from transfer muppets. If I wanted that there are hundreds of threads in the transfer forum for that very thing.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'd also like to point out that this poll in a thread in the transfer forum has an option of "Pointless - get rid".

Oh the irony.

Valentino

i dont get it , why you guys cant just keep something like this manchester united - Google News open when you are browsing the net and check all ther latastst news whenever you want. Those threads are just child play out of boredom. They give you nothing what dozens of online sites cant do with 100x the efficient and news flow.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
i dont get it , why you guys cant just keep something like this manchester united - Google News open when you are browsing the net and check all ther latastst news whenever you want. Those threads are just child play out of boredom. They give you nothing what dozens of online sites cant do with 100x the efficient and news flow.
I come to the caf a number of times per day so why would I want to go elsewhere for concise news about united transfers if I don't have to?

WeasteDevil

So what you're saying then is that, 44 out of 62 caftards agree that I'm more clever and ingenuitive than the BBC?

Hot dog!
I don't necessarily view the opinions of the majority of caftards with any great regard. It's sort of like asking the nutters in a mental institution if they want to run it themselves.

As I've said, I like your idea, but I don't think that threads are the best implementation of it.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I can't believe some of you are still kicking off about this, if it annoys you or 'goes against the principles'... skip any thread that says 'no comments' in it's title!

Could it be that simple? fcukin aye!

@Weaste, lets see your mockup then...

ciderman9000000

I only ever post from my phone, so that's not practical for me. I'm sure others may have other reasons.

Not everybody's you, you tit. Check the poll above; most like the idea, so stop your moaning as if it's entirely useless, as you're quite clearly dead wrong.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
And a blog post would give you exactly that. I'll do a mock up!
You are dead right but until the Caf is better integrated with/for blogs I think this is an OK solution. And a mobile Caf site that is better blog integrated would be even better.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't necessarily view the opinions of the majority of caftards with any great regard. It's sort of like asking the nutters in a mental institution if they want to run it themselves.

As I've said, I like your idea, but I don't think that threads are the best implementation of it.
Alternatively - and more accurately - it's like asking customers of any business how the business can best meet their needs.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Well I'm going to post in this one now since Hectic's on a one man mission to lock anything that's any fun..

So this is the Caf now is it?...Lots of new threads we aren't allowed to comment in (which I don't actually have a problem with) but no threads to have any jokes in?...

And you're NOT trying to be deliberate kill joys?

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Right, I gave an answer to you in the other thread, and locked it so that the admin can reply without trawling through pages of arguments. I'm not interested in fights and all that nonsense. You've asked a question of the mods/admins, more than fair enough, it has nothing to do with other posters, as I've said, it's locked to avoid needless posts, not to piss you off.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
But how do you define "needless post"...Half the posts in this thread are needless. A right to a reply is a right to a reply, and since Solius posted the exact same thread after mine was closed, it's pretty clear other posters had opinions on it too...

What if your reply didn't actually answer anything, or missed the point completely (which it did a bit, considering you said "It was locked because the question was already answered"...have you actually read the thread?..That was the whole point of people posting in it) then how can a poster get that across without being a mod?

I'm not interesting in a fight either...This is the first Admin thread I've done in ages...Purely because I really liked that thread and felt it summed up a lot of what I (used) to love about the Caf...The very fact that kind of joke was accepted and embraced. Not just locked because it wasn't informative.

I wont post anymore on this matter though, so as not to post anything irrelevant in a thread about Weaste making blogs...or something.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
But how do you define "needless post"...Half the posts in this thread are needless. A right to a reply is a right to a reply, and since Solius posted the exact same thread after mine was closed, it's pretty clear other posters had opinions on it too...

What if your reply didn't actually answer anything, or missed the point completely (which it did a bit, considering you said "It was locked because the question was already answered...have you read the thread?..That was the whole point of people posting in it) then how can a poster get that across without being a mod?
Admins can still post in locked threads, I think Hectic offered his best explanation in your thread then locked it so it could be answered by the admin who closed the original thread without their being a 10 page debate beforehand.

A right to a reply is fair enough, you dont have a right to an immediate reply, people have got lives outside the caf.

Why not just wait to see what they have to say before everything kicks off?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well I'm going to post in this one now since Hectic's on a one man mission to lock anything that's any fun..

So this is the Caf now is it?...Lots of new threads we aren't allowed to comment in (which I don't actually have a problem with) but no threads to have any jokes in?...

And you're NOT trying to be deliberate kill joys?
Eh?

Hectic

Supports
30fps

What if your reply didn't actually answer anything, or missed the point completely (which it did a bit, considering you said "It was locked because the question was already answered"...have you actually read the thread?..That was the whole point of people posting in it) then how can a poster get that across without being a mod?

I'm not interesting in a fight either...This is the first Admin thread I've done in ages...Purely because I really liked that thread and felt it summed up a lot of what I (used) to love about the Caf...The very fact that kind of joke was accepted and embraced. Not just locked because it wasn't informative.
The point is, you've asked a question that can only be answered by a moderator or admin, it serves no purpose to have it open to everyone. I think it's a fair question you've asked, I believe this is the best way about getting your answer. My reply is immaterial, it's a general take on what might have happened reading the edits, however, it's primary function is to let you know we've seen it, taken notice and that it will be addressed as soon as possible. If I had just locked it, you would rightly be thinking, what the feck. I thought I had explained myself a bit clearer, but probably not, my mistake.

jeston

Why is there a picture of Arturo Vidal next to the United sign Sanchez story?

kps88

That looks like something you can find on any football website.

ciderman9000000

I'm not questioning the idea, it's a good one; I'm questioning and disappointed by your lack of vision. You should be asking for something like this.....

It actually shouldn't be that complicated to do, the problem being people to provide the content.
That looks good, but also looks high maintenance.

In the meantime let's stick to the low maintenance No Comments threads.

WeasteDevil

That looks good, but also looks high maintenance.
But is shouldn't be high maintenance, blog posts and blog edits would simply update the content and order of it. The blog feature is already there, but on the front page it's shoved into a little box in the top right with the main body of the page showing recent forum posts. I can see recent forum posts by clicking on New Posts in the forum thanks a lot! I never use the CAF homepage, it's useless to me.

WeasteDevil

This would make for a crackin Xtranormal animation.
It actually brings me around to something I didn't put in your suggestions thread. Why not have an option in the UserCP to have context sensitive New Posts searches or not, or at the very least a drop down menu if you hover over it for too long, or search in context link next to it. So, for example if I was viewing the United Forum and clicked "New Posts", it would give me results from that forum only. If I was in "General Discussion" looking at the list of forums in there and clicked "New Posts", it would give me results from those forums only. If I'm on the main forums page and I do the same it works as it does now.

Thinking about it, a simple new link next to the one we have would be very useful "New Posts", "New Posts Here". This should be piss easy to do!

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Looks good Weaste, but a few questions:

1) Why such a large width?
2) Would a user have to add a blog for each item as opposed to a single post?
3) and most importantly, is Noodle really dead?

WeasteDevil

Looks good Weaste, but a few questions:

1) Why such a large width?
2) Would a user have to add a blog for each item as opposed to a single post?
3) and most importantly, is Noodle really dead?
1) It's just that I have a 1080p monitor, that is the width of my screen and the width of the CAF when my browser is full screen. Of course, you wouldn't do it that way at fixed size, but then look at the front page and resize the width of your window, the list of threads resizes. Or you go say the BBC route and make the thing fixed. It's just a mock-up, an idea of what could be done.

2) Just add to or edit the blog like you add or edit say the Wiki.

3) His brother said that the beans were nice.