'No comments' news threads in the Transfer Forum

"No Comments" Player News Threads

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Physio

I like the idea of this.

Would there be any support also, for a 'No Comments' thread where we post interesting articles about United, interviews and the like? I always think that on Sundays where there might be 2 or 3 good articles that it'd be nice to have links posted in a thread on the caf?

datura

I don't really see any issues with how it is presently. All the news everybody gets apart from the foreign media is in newsnow. You come here to discuss it mainly, not as your primary news source.

What Cider is suggesting sounds more like a blog then something to integrate in the forum.

IBleedRed

likes to use pantyhose
One suggestion for these threads - If possible could the posters also post the body of text as well as the link for easier reading

Thanks

ciderman9000000

I don't really see any issues with how it is presently. All the news everybody gets apart from the foreign media is in newsnow. You come here to discuss it mainly, not as your primary news source.

What Cider is suggesting sounds more like a blog then something to integrate in the forum.
Whilst that may be true for you, it's not for me, and I suspect - with regards to the responses in this thread - that it's not for others either. Whereas some may be happy to browse multiple sites to garner the latest transfer news, I myself only ever frequent the Caf and decifer what I can from what's posted right here. And everything does indeed get posted here, so there's no real need to scour the internet in search; if only it were posted more succiently, in a more accessible format, we'd be laughing.

Valentino

i have to agree with this. this is forum and not a news site. if you dont wanna read discussions and post your own comments dont go here. I mean this initiative is going to hurt forum badly. why would i open young discussion thread if i can get all the info on him in 'no comments' thread? i would only visit young thread for discussions if the transfer goes through official.

ciderman9000000

Could we not have one thread for all the players we are being linked to with updates? I'm sure there wouldnt be much to update.
The way I see it is, there are three options:

a) Have one specific thread for each of our most talked about targets
b) Have one uber-thread for ALL of our rumoured targets
c) Have a sub-forum containing one specific thread for each of our rumoured targets

Which would be the most accessible, fluent and efficient? I don't know. imo the Sub-forum; but then I've no experience setting up these thing so have no idea of the hassle involved.

ciderman9000000

i have to agree with this. this is forum and not a news site. if you dont wanna read discussions and post your own comments dont go here. I mean this initiative is going to hurt forum badly. why would i open young discussion thread if i can get all the info on him in 'no comments' thread? i would only visit young thread for discussions if the transfer goes through official.
Jesus Christ, man, don't be such a drama queen. FFS!

Lance Uppercut

:lol:

Lance Uppercut

Fix the last line in your Sneijder post, Cider.

EDIT and the Modric one.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I don't get this idea at all. Think it's a bit rubbish really.

datura

Whilst that may be true for you, it's not for me, and I suspect - with regards to the responses in this thread - that it's not for others either. Whereas some may be happy to browse multiple sites to garner the latest transfer news, I myself only ever frequent the Caf and decifer what I can from what's posted right here. And everything does indeed get posted here, so there's no real need to scour the internet in search; if only it were posted more succiently, in a more accessible format, we'd be laughing.
This is all most use:

NewsNow: Manchester United News | Red Devils News | Every Source, Every Five Minutes, 24/7

No scouring needed.

I still think it's unnecessary and bit pointless as preventing discussion on a forum seems to go against the point of using a forum in the first place.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
I think these would work if cider stopped using Ashley Young in the last line.

Excal

This is all most use:

NewsNow: Manchester United News | Red Devils News | Every Source, Every Five Minutes, 24/7

No scouring needed.

I still think it's unnecessary and bit pointless as preventing discussion on a forum seems to go against the point of using a forum in the first place.
Not about "preventing discussion", as the post I just made a half hour ago should make clear. It's about allowing someone to read the transfer reports without the muppetry. No discussion whatsoever is prevented.

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
I think it's a great idea. You don't need it for every minor transfer rumour, but it would be great for all the major things concerning United. It's great that so many people like discussing but when you don't have much time it's difficult to keep up with the threads so it would help to have one which collects all the essential information. It doesn't have to be a "no comments" thread - but the comments should strictly just sump up what the newspapers and journos are reporting.

datura

Not about "preventing discussion", as the post I just made a half hour ago should make clear. It's about allowing someone to read the transfer reports without the muppetry. No discussion whatsoever is prevented.
So you have multiple threads about players in the same forum because one you can't comment on? It just clogs up the forum and seems a bit pointless, especially when all the articles/updates are so easy to find anyway.

Excal

So you have multiple threads about players in the same forum because one you can't comment on? It just clogs up the forum and seems a bit pointless, especially when all the articles/updates are so easy to find anyway.
So it seems pointless to you because you aren't interested in the non-comment threads.

Perhaps stretch the ol' perspective-o-tron a bit and try to imagine that folks who are not you might have different preferences than you.

The big 'no comments' in the thread title and first post seem contrary to that!
Are you just wumming?

GCHQ

Glazer Crevice Headquarters
Sir Alex Ferguson, Ben Foster, Hayley McQueen.....
Sorry Cider, but I'm not getting the point of this at all. It just seems completely unnecessary, especially given that the mods have been editing thread titles with important updates anyway. And even without that, it takes a matter of seconds to scroll through a few pages of a thread to find the original source.

ciderman9000000

Sorry Cider, but I'm not getting the point of this at all. It just seems completely unnecessary, especially given that the mods have been editing thread titles with important updates anyway. And even without that, it takes a matter of seconds to scroll through a few pages of a thread to find the original source.
It's worth a try though, and most so far seem to like the idea. If you'd rather search through the big transfer threads then that's your prerogative.

GCHQ

Glazer Crevice Headquarters
Sir Alex Ferguson, Ben Foster, Hayley McQueen.....
The idea is a pretty good one, but I think an update thread for each of the so called 'main targets' would take up too much room and make a bit of a mess of the TF.

I reckon a single 'updates only' sticky thread for all of them would work better. One thread where you know you will only get news rather than the guff you mention in the OP. It's not like there's such a stream of proper updates that anything will get lost just because it's about more than one player, and it'd be tidier.
Yup, one thread as a sticky at the very most. The multiple threads just look shit and clog up the forum.

ciderman9000000

Yup, one thread as a sticky at the very most. The multiple threads just look shit and clog up the forum.
Just go with it, man. I'm sure after a few weeks of hardcore transfer speculation from the media we'll all see the benefit of having the relevant, on topic, stuff all collected together. It might seem a bit odd right now, but it's not a complicated system, I'm sure we can handle it, no?

datura

So it seems pointless to you because you aren't interested in the non-comment threads.

Perhaps stretch the ol' perspective-o-tron a bit and try to imagine that folks who are not you might have different preferences than you.

Are you just wumming?
Yes it seems pointless to me, hence why I stated it. Rather stating the obvious.

And no, you seem to be trying though.

Excal

Yes it seems pointless to me, hence why I stated it. Rather stating the obvious.
And I thought it would be stating the obvious to note that people who are not you might in fact see a point to it.

I surely never expected to need to do so twice.

And no, you seem to be trying though.
So you are genuinely of the opinion that making no change whatsoever to existing threads and adding no comments threads "prevents discussion". Fascinating.

MrK

I don't really think it's a big deal, even if you don't like the idea yourself. This is shaping up to potentially be a very busy summer by our standards, yet there are still at present only 5 or 6 strong possible targets that are worth making a news thread for. The transfer forum is also fairly slow moving in nature compared to the football/united forums - for example only roughly half of the first page of threads were posted in yesterday - so I don't really think having 5 or 6 extra threads makes that big of a difference.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Err, am I missing something? Why would this have any effect on the threads that are already there? Why would there be less debate? These threads (a handful) would be in addition to the muppetfests you lot seem to be worried about....

Those threads will still be massive and confusing, yay!

Edit: Not @ u MrK...

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I was against it, but having just read the Ashley Young one without any comments or muppetry I now think it's an absolutely brilliant idea!
Ah, so it's the War on Muppetry is it?
*boos* :D