Nolan's Batman

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What they need to do is to get a hotter love interest in. Maggy was good, but I thought she was more suited to be Joker's love interest than Batmans.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Yes yes of course...but that doesn't mean he's bound to it...it means he's taken good inspiration from it...The Joker for example he completely messed with..but it worked..

Yes it is...who's is it?

No. That's the nerdy fan boy in you talking...Superman would instantly render Nolan's universe - the one he's painstakingly created - a joke. He could never work in Nolan's universe....It's for someone else to do...hence why Nolan should end his saga definitively...And as I've said, killing Batman is hardly herecy as it's already been done in the comics...the bigger betrayal was the 60s show..or the bat nipples, or any of the other shit other people have weaved into their versions over time. This is Nolan's version, not the world's or the fans...the only reason people do get so tight about it is because he's done it so well...he's actually fecked with a lot of shit along the way...Most of the main villians are complete re-imaginings for a start. He can kill Batman, and leave someone else to do another one. And I think he must.
He didn't mess with the Joker that much. The Joker being a ruthless killer who works off Anarchy isn't anything new. The villains aren't re-imaginings either. Scarecrow was pretty spot on. The only one that has had any real tamperings with is Rhas Al Ghul, and even then it's just an amalgalm of the comics stories. Two Face is also a spot on version. Falcone and the mafia were Batmans original foes from the get go. As I've said, I really don't have a problem with him killing Batman off, I just hope he can do something better than that. As for the decision, it is one he would have to get the ok from DC Warner, and they are very protective over their characters now. If he does it brilliantly then I'm all game as I'm sure everyone else would be. I'm more inclined to thinking he'll have Bruce Wayne retire the Batman

Nolan also hasn't created a new universe for the character, it's one thats existed for a long time. It's just the first time anyones been able to translate it without getting into the trappings that a ridiculous character as the Batman could easily fall into.

The Superman idea only works for me if it was done as as the tale of The Dark Knight Returns, as in a future film far off. I sure as hell wouldn't want it appearing in the next film.

This is Nolans translation, not his version.

Yes the biggest betrayals to the character was the camp versions but they themselves came from comics, due to censorship thanks to Fredric Wertham. Once they shook off the shackles of the Comics Code Authority they returned the character to his original spiritual routes. Darker, more realistic and gritty, and the version we are now getting translated to the big screen.

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are the closest to the actual comics there has ever been.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Actually, it just popped into my head, weren't Nolan and his brother put in charge of the Superman reboot in some way?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
That's what started us talking about it...yes...But apparently only in consulting role according to the newbs

What I meant by re-imagining was that the joker is make up'd in this, not bleeched...Two Face becomes Two-Face in a very different way to in the comics...it's basically messing with a lot of things that are considered 'lore'...but he's doing it so well no one minds...Superman would wreck everything IMO...even if done in the future.

Gambit

That's what started us talking about it...yes...But apparently only in consulting role according to the newbs

What I meant by re-imagining was that the joker is make up'd in this, not bleeched...Two Face becomes Two-Face in a very different way to in the comics...it's basically messing with a lot of things that are considered 'lore'...but he's doing it so well no one minds...Superman would wreck everything IMO...even if done in the future.
Nolans only in consultancy at the moment but from the sounds of some recent interviews, he'll be taking the helm. Metropolis has already been given the geek nod in Nolans Batman films.

Yes the way Two Face and and Jokers characters as in make up and origins has differed but the characters themselves haven't. Anyway arguing aside I see exactly what your saying. Also Nolan himself has talked about it as you say, with Batman being the only hero in the world and basing it in realism. He's even talked about how comics and film differ in that comics go on for ever and film have to have a conclusion.
“I’m very excited about the end of the film, the conclusion, and what we’ve done with the characters,” Nolan said.“My brother has come up with some pretty exciting stuff. Unlike the comics, these thing don’t go on forever in film and viewing it as a story with an end is useful. Viewing it as an ending, that sets you very much on the right track about the appropriate conclusion and the essence of what tale we’re telling. And it hearkens back to that priority of trying to find the reality in these fantastic stories. That’s what we do.”
I still can't see him killing Bruce Wayne though. I guess it is maybe the fanboy in me that would like to see a Dark Knight Returns tale brought to the screen.

Mockney

Yeah it sort of was the point of the whole film....I don't think they should've killed him though..

What were the Metropolis nods incidentally? I remember a Gotham nod in the new Superman

Gambit

Yeah it sort of was the point of the whole film....I don't think they should've killed him though..

What were the Metropolis nods incidentally? I remember a Gotham nod in the new Superman
Mentioned in the first one, newspapers, number plates, various in both films. More background stuff.

hungrywing

This and the Kevin Smith thread reminds me: Kevin Smith's now-ancient Superman draft with 'The Spider' in it is online somewhere if you haven't read it and you have a few hours to kill. I remember it not being very good though.

"Superman Lives Kevin Smith" should do the trick.

Mockney

It'll likely only kill my love for his story about it...which is really funny, so I'd rather not.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
It was the tragedy and point of the whole film.
I know that, but the way they handled it, with Batman tackling him to his death, after they made such a big thing about Batman not killing people, it annoys me. No big deal, I just think its a weakness in the film.

Oh by the way, I'm not arsed making a new thread about this, but Mr. Pilkin, the Buffalo Bill guy who tore apart the Star Wars prequels, has done an analysis of the 2009 Star Trek. Pretty interesting stuff. You can find it here: Topless Robot - A Not-at-All-Brief Reminder that the Star Trek Reboot Was Pretty Good

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
If the Superman angle (full on superhero shizzle) was to be employed in the next film I believe it would be too soon and would ruin the essence of Nolan's Batman Universe... however I believe as the last movie had the best villian in it already i.e. Joker, it will be exceptionally hard to surpass such a villian and give the film an air of being equal to TDK... hence it requires new great characters (who are capable of real danger).

Personally I'd propose the following (taking few elements from the Dark Knight returns), I'd introduce the Riddler working in conjunction with Two face and others (Bane for example, only cool serious villians, not penguin who is a joke) working for a powerful villian (stays behind the scenes) who surpasses all of them them in power and intellect.. now this could be (Joker again but we don't see him in this film, possible recast or it could be Lex Luthor-any other suggestions?).

If it is to be the latter, I'd like Superman to be introduced into the storyline with the intention that their relationship is developed and we don't see the super super hero shit from Superman, more of a general introduction of the character..and a rock for Batman to rely on after getting over the death of his girl from TDK.

I'd also like him to die at the end of the film with Gotham City and possibly signs of the whole of America facing being overrun by criminals - his whole sacrifice in vain, but with a possible clue that he might still be alive or at least leave it open to himself coming back to finish it with a massive 4th blockbuster or leave it to someone else to feck up the fourth film and leave the lagacy of his trilogy intact.

gaz1185

I'd also like him to die at the end of the film with Gotham City and possibly signs of the whole of America facing being overrun by criminals - his whole sacrifice in vain, but with a possible clue that he might still be alive or at least leave it open to himself coming back to finish it with a massive 4th blockbuster or leave it to someone else to feck up the fourth film and leave the lagacy of his trilogy intact.
I can see the retirement arc being played out in the last of this trilogy. Rumours are the story will follow on a year or two from where the Dark Knight left, whether that’s true or not I’m a little dubious about as the 'Semi-Retirement' arc would then already be in place. I would like to see the story following Batman / Wayne still working quietly behind the scenes waiting for the chance to clear his name for the accusations that arise at the end of TDK against him.

As Gotham will probably be out for blood against Batman after he supposedly killed their ‘White Knight’ I can see the supposed villain of The Riddler fitting in perfectly. My idea would be Nigma finding out who Batman really is and his well known cryptic games being aimed towards Wayne/Batman himself and failure to his games resulting in The Riddler naming Batman to the people of Gotham whilst making Batman look like more of a criminal through each game. Joesph Gordon-Levitt has been rumoured plenty of times for this role and I can see this happening after Nolan working with him on Inception.

Now I may open up a can of worms here, but I don’t see The Riddler being the only villain, I can see Two-Face returning. My reasons for this are the fact I find it hard for Two-Face / Dent to be dead after such character exploration / development! Yes, the Joker was intended to come back for the third, and maybe he still will as a more hidden background antagonist which they wouldn’t need a new actor for. But theories are abounding that Two-Face could still return; his fall from the building was not so high, when compared to Maroni’s fall (which Batman knew he would survive) it seems much shorter. Dent’s death could have easily been a cover up to save his status amongst the Gotham public and to show the monster he became would to anyone would instantly alter that – There would be no need for a body in the coffin either if the police decided to cover up Dent’s crimes by saying he never escaped the hospital and died in the destruction. Finally, Dent could be the only way for Wayne/Batman to clear his name and re-establish himself as a hero to Gotham, Batman may not know about Dent’s status and could lead to a big revelation in the film.

But all just theories and ideas! One thing I would say is Batman won’t die, maybe a fake death as mentioned, but not a full on one. Nolan stated this trilogy is the end to a story, not to a franchise. A retired Batman would be fitting; this could lead to a new story based on The Dark Knight Returns as gambit mentioned! A older Batman = No Bale. No Bale = Dick Grayson could be involved and would match the current time line set. Older characters/actors = A new Joker could cast. :D

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
Batman isn't about Nolan.

There is still a lot of potential in the storyline. I believe the next one involves Riddler.
In the future I hope they bring out the story about Robin being manipulated by the Joker.
I just couldn't cop with tha Jim Carrey shit last time. :mad:

Zen

Theres been SO much hype for Riddler being in 3 that somehow I see that it's not going to be him in the end. I'd just find it funny as well since the second TDK came out most have just presumed it's going to be the Riddler, it probably will be, but it's be funny if he didn't show up in it though.

I'd like a film based of Hush, with Talia, maybe you could fit Riddler in there too as Talia wouldn't really be a villain but the new woman lead in the film, two villains seems to be what Nolan likes so, I just hope Scarecrow doesn't show up and is made to be a bitch again, as much as I love Cillian, it shouldn't happen.

Whatever Nolan decides to do with the character I'm fine with, killing him would mean no one messing with his series, which is clearly a possibility as he himself as hinted that while he's definitely done after 3, he can't stop people continuing the story in his universe. But the series will never go back to being campy again, the dark reboot is the thing now, with Spider-Man and Superman tipped to going darker in their reboots. I don't know what I'd want really, just a damn good film, I hate speculating about stuff because I'm wrong too often, all I know is that I trust in the Nolans.

Member 39557

Leonardo Dicaprio goes into Bruce Wayne's dreams and convinces him to stop being Batman. Unfortunately, it goes a bit wrong as Dicaprio had to go too deep into his mind and caused some damage. This resulted in destroying Bruce Wayne's memory and he tries to get by through using tatoos hastily drawn on his body to remind himself of important people and events.
He gets manipulated into killing rival villains by an underworld kingpin and eventually ends up in Arkham asylum.

Mockney

But all just theories and ideas! One thing I would say is Batman won’t die, maybe a fake death as mentioned, but not a full on one. Nolan stated this trilogy is the end to a story, not to a franchise. A retired Batman would be fitting; this could lead to a new story based on The Dark Knight Returns as gambit mentioned! A older Batman = No Bale. No Bale = Dick Grayson could be involved and would match the current time line set. Older characters/actors = A new Joker could cast. :D
This is what I don't get. I don't see why people are intent on viewing this as a franchise. Nolan doesn't. View it as a self contained trilogy of films and you'll see (i think) that him dying is the best conclusion...

The 'franchise' will continue whatever, it's completely detatched from whatever Nolan wants to do in the same way that Val Kilmer has no connection to these ones...him dying would just ensure a new re-boot had to happen, which it almost certainly would eventually, and which Nolan couldn't be a part of...

The whole 'franchise' thing is precisely the reason it should happen IMO....Nolan's films shouldn't be tied into them, they should be their own separate canon.

Red_Aaron

well yeah but Nolans films have been so good you can understand fans wanting them to continue on

Batman has soooo many stories and characters to draw on that there's no reason Nolan couldn't carve out 2, 3 even 4 more movies without them descending into batman forever like farces

if Nolan is intent on calling it a day after the 3rd, fine wrap it up, personally i'd rather he gets convinced to stay on but perhaps space the sequels out more to allow him other projects and plenty of time to get them right

gaz1185

The whole 'franchise' thing is precisely the reason it should happen IMO....Nolan's films shouldn't be tied into them, they should be their own separate canon.
I do agree with what you are saying there Mockney, and I too would also prefer it if the Nolan 'Batman' was a franchise in its own right and couldn't be tampered with by some pleb of a director in a fourth film :lol:

But I also have a feeling Nolan isn't finished with his own franchise. He may have his trilogy under his belt, but where the stories going and gaining a similar feel to the darker reading material I think this story isn't quite finished for the Nolan brothers. Whether that's true, we'll only find out, following on from TDK is a challenge alone. The Nolan's may just want a break from the story and return after a few years, but will the studios allow one of their biggest movie 'franchises' to lie dormant for so long!? :nervous:

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
I don't think Batman will killed off either, he might be retired though for Nolan's take on the Batman story.

To be fair, Nolan hasn't made a bad film yet so I'm sure he'll produce the goods with the next film too. Personally, can't wait!

maldini

It'd be great if they took elements from the RIP story line and incorporated in the 3rd movie.

Zen

Marion Cotillard is allegedly in preliminary talks.

But yes, you're the only person.
I wouldn't buy too much into that. It's probably the same people who made up the Levitt rumour. "OMG she was in one of his past films, he likes to continue using the same actors, must be in Batman 3!!!"

She's a better fit for Talia if anything though -_-

Gambit

i guess i'm the only person who wants to see a "Nolanised" Catwoman?
Again it would be just like the character is in the comics, an international uber thief.

hungrywing

Well, i'm not the one talking to her so it's me *** at least!
Au contraire. She will be arriving for her reading at your place tomorrow. Your driveway can hold a limo, right?

I wouldn't buy too much into that. It's probably the same people who made up the Levitt rumour. "OMG she was in one of his past films, he likes to continue using the same actors, must be in Batman 3!!!"

She's a better fit for Talia if anything though -_-
I only replied to him so I could work in the "But yes, you're the only (interested) person" part.

But the Michael Caine - Chris Nolan thing is getting kind of...wait a minute...oh...

Oh no.

Michael Caine for Bruce Wayne in DKR.

phelans shorts

Interesting.

The fanbois have pinned down Black Mask as the new favourite.

I'm not familiar with Hugo Strange. Would that work?
Strange could work alongside bane I guess, pumping him with steroids possibly.

EDIT: that said it is very Schumacher poison ivy ish

But as I said on page 1 of this thread black mask is the natural choice, the anti-Bruce by all means.