Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

laughtersassassin

No. A Europa League or two wouldn't of been worth losing him for a pittance this summer
So you'd rather have not signed him and have had things happens as they are than sign him and probably have had a better few seasons and worst case if he wanted to leave sold for a profit abroad?

Where's the logic in that?

If we are afraid to sign players because they may look to leave us in a few years than we are idiots.

We don't have the luxury of assuming players we sign should stay.

Last edited:

Gumshoe

Supports
Avro FC
£100m on Grealish
£60-70m on Haaland

Absolutely sickening. Money money money.
Tbf they sold Torres in January for £50mil. It’s likely they ship out another few for decent fees as they did with Harrison, Angelino and Nmecha last summer

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Interesting how their transfer policy has shifted towards the star names more recently. Quite clearly desperate to buy their way to the CL.
But who wouldn’t want a 21 year old Haaland who scored 85 goals in 88 games for Dortmund?

sangria

Does anyone know what the wages are? I think I predicted 350k a week to play for City (around 18m a year), with a consultancy role with UAE tourism worth 20m a year.

sangria

Tbf they sold Torres in January for £50mil. It’s likely they ship out another few for decent fees as they did with Harrison, Angelino and Nmecha last summer
Which other clubs around the world do the City group own?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Does anyone know what the wages are? I think I predicted 350k a week to play for City (around 18m a year), with a consultancy role with UAE tourism worth 20m a year.
25 mil euros per year. But 50 the most amazing part is 50 bloody million to agent :nervous: . For what??

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
City don't sign a striker: stupid management, arrogance from Pep, cost them in the CL

City sign a striker: won't fit their style of play, they won't be as dominant
Love how you always stick up for the under represented - United's rivals

MUFC OK

Hopefully this signing keeps the title away from scousers next season. Tchouameni swings it back to an even race though, in my opinion.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
25 mil euros per year. But 50 the most amazing part is 50 bloody million to agent :nervous: . For what??
I mean why does it matter what its for? if you don't pay it then you don't get the player so its part of the cost of doing business

But in practical example here his agents negotiated a deal for him to join Dortmund and successfully negotiated a buyout clause that the future club is now taking advantage of

This means that you can buy Haaland for £75m instead of something like £250M

So the agents have effectively saved the next buying club £175m ... of which they are charging £50m... still saving the buying club £125

The agent is of course also handling a complex negotiation and structuring legal contracts as well as handling the logistics of any proposed move ensuring that for your £75m they deliver a fully focussed and happy player ready to perform at his best

RkkMan

So you'd rather have not signed him and have had things happens as they are than sign him and probably have had a better few seasons and worst case if he wanted to leave sold for a profit abroad?

If we are afraid to sign players because they may look to leave us in a few years than we are idiots.

The issue here isn't that he'd want to leave eventually rather the circumstances leading to an inevitable departure would not only leave Utd vulnerable but it gives all the power to the player and a money hungry agency we don't have a good relationship with.
If hypothetically his release clause was something in and around £100m, active for 2/3 summers with only foreign clubs able to trigger it that would have been acceptable as it gives you insurance he won't pull off a Tevez, player still gets his move and the club get an acceptable profit/fee you can use to replace him.
Instead you're looking at a pittance release clause of £64m after a £20m purchase which can be activated by anybody including PL teams(nothing would have stopped Chelsea/City from buying him with their current ST problems and they'd have loved the prospect of directly weakening a rival)and a fee that barely gets you a good midfielder in this market let alone replace a 30-40 goal a season ST on top of the many holes in the team.
You could of course just agree to the initial clause and try to extend the player's contract later whilst removing/increasing the clause but where a Raiola agency and Haaland Sr are involved that's much easier said than done.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Wait, so Haaland is only getting a £3m signing on bonus whilst his agents are getting £40m+.

Hmm sure, considering it was coming out last year that Raiola and Haaland were going around clubs looking for £1m a week I'm not sure why he'd accept that little, whilst Mbappe (his closest rival) will be earning more than 5 times that with his next contract.
This is why don't get such players being with raiola. How can you not look at the agent fee and think 'mmm, pretty sure I can find an agent who could get the club to pay that to me instead of him'?

OverratedOpinion

This is why don't get such players being with raiola. How can you not look at the agent fee and think 'mmm, pretty sure I can find an agent who could get the club to pay that to me instead of him'?
Agents find these players when they are basically kids, get so entwined in their lives and play the role of confidant or advisor. They are professional conmen and the people they con more than anyone is their own clients.

Cloud7

At what point does the law of diminishing returns come into effect for City?

Their team is already outstanding from top to bottom and they play as a very effective unit, led by the best/second best manager in the world. They are on course for 90+ points once again. Just how much is he going to improve them relative to where they are now?

They aren't suddenly going to go from 30 wins to 38 wins. It's football, there will always be days where you are off your game or your opponent is simply better than you on the day. In the CL, we just saw them score 6 goals and still get knocked out. Is adding Haaland at that point going to be that much of a difference maker? If this is a means to try to get the elusive CL, I don't think it will be the difference maker as we have seen many times, at that level small and unpredictable margins are often the defining factors. Ole's winner against Bayern, Iniesta's strike against Chelsea, Ramos' late header against Atletico, these are moments that you cannot sign a player to account for, and as stated before I don't think he raises their level that much higher than it already is, as that level itself is already extremely high.

What I think will happen is that they go from their goal tally being spread around their different attackers to the bulk of them being scored by Haaland.

This transfer reminds me a lot of when Pep signed Ibra for Barcelona...and it never really amounted to much. Part of me thinks that Haaland's style won't mesh well with Pepball, but that is beside the point that I was initially making.

cyberman

This is ridiculous. This club should never sign players with 2 year buy out clauses, we may as well continue signing old strikers like Ronaldo and Cavani if that's the case.
Worst case would be Halaand joining City from Utd this summer and that 100 percent could have happened

I must be the only one not really bothered by this, yeah he will probably score a bunch of goals them but they’re already doing that now so I doubt it will make much difference.

Thunderhead

Supports
City

Their team is already outstanding from top to bottom and they play as a very effective unit, led by the best/second best manager in the world. They are on course for 90+ points once again. Just how much is he going to improve them relative to where they are now?

They aren't suddenly going to go from 30 wins to 38 wins. It's football, there will always be days where you are off your game or your opponent is simply better than you on the day. In the CL, we just saw them score 6 goals and still get knocked out. Is adding Haaland at that point going to be that much of a difference maker? If this is a means to try to get the elusive CL, I don't think it will be the difference maker as we have seen many times, at that level small and unpredictable margins are often the defining factors. Ole's winner against Bayern, Iniesta's strike against Chelsea, Ramos' late header against Atletico, these are moments that you cannot sign a player to account for, and as stated before I don't think he raises their level that much higher than it already is, as that level itself is already extremely high.

What I think will happen is that they go from their goal tally being spread around their different attackers to the bulk of them being scored by Haaland.

This transfer reminds me a lot of when Pep signed Ibra for Barcelona...and it never really amounted to much. Part of me thinks that Haaland's style won't mesh well with Pepball, but that is beside the point that I was initially making.
I get most of what you're saying but this summer City could likely let Jesus & Sterling go to be replaced by Haaland and Alvarez so it could be a squad refresh as much as anything.

Cloud7

I get most of what you're saying but this summer City could likely let Jesus & Sterling go to be replaced by Haaland and Alvarez so it could be a squad refresh as much as anything.
That's fair enough. I'm not saying it's a bad signing, I'm just sharing my thoughts relative to all the panic in this thread about City becoming unstoppable with this signing.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
That's fair enough. I'm not saying it's a bad signing, I'm just sharing my thoughts relative to all the panic in this thread about City becoming unstoppable with this signing.
oh yeah that makes total sense, it's not as though we're signing prime Messi or Ronaldo, he's still got a lot to prove.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
True, but it still stings watching other teams doing stuff like this. We are in it for the long haul. City will be unstoppable now, if theres one consolation its that Liverpool won't likely go on to dominate. What am I saying? What have I become. I am an empty shell of a man
Not sure it will mean they will score more goals, it will mean he will score the goals someone else was scoring as the emphasis of their play might change to cater for him. What he does have to do is score goals in important games like the latter stages of the CL. That is the holy grail for the owners no matter what anybody says. If he does that he is well worth it. If he doesn't they are just doing what they were doing anyway.

Zen86

But who wouldn’t want a 21 year old Haaland who scored 85 goals in 88 games for Dortmund?
It’s just an interesting shift in policy. They were almost trying to fly under the radar before the last couple of years by going with mid-range acquisitions (albeit in large numbers). Now it’s more galactico in nature. Might be the next phase for Abu Dhabi

DickDastardly

Couldn't agree more.

That's why i think that City are in a P(r)EP mode - they are actively preparing for Guardiola to leave.

Buying Grealish didn't make sense at the time, they didn't really need him, nor did Pep look like he wanted him.
As we see now, a year later, they didn't need him at all.
And he's sticking out like a sore thumb.

Again, Haaland looks like the same case.
Doesn't suit their style of play.....etc, etc....

Makes you think - they're not buying players for Pep.
They're buying players because they can, and they're buying the cream of the crop so who ever comes after Pep (and i do believe he's out soon) can work with the best players.

Tibs

21 goals and 8 assists in 23 games in the league for him this season.

Monster signing for City

Jacob

He will not be a hit, he will be the equivalent of Lukaku at United. He will cramp their style.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

It's not about being afraid to lose them it's about having no control there's a difference

croadyman

I still can't believe we sent our scout Tommy Moller Nielsen to watch him play at Molde under Ole and he scored something like 4 goals in 20 mins.

I immediately thought okay that's enough to make a move. We didn't do shit and he signed for RB Salzburg instead.

He probably would be on loan still with some 3rd divison Scottish club if we did get him at 17 years old.

We aren't catching City anytime soon so doesn't really make a difference to us.
Yeah this one really shows up our poor scouting

Gazautd18

Don't really care about him going there.
(Typical timing with City that Raiola passed before this transfer)
Like people have said, he will only score goals and City have been highest goal scorer's in the league for how many seasons?
Also hopefully keeps the Liverpool lot from winning anything while we try and get our shit together.
What I do hate though, is hearing Danny Mills and irrelevant ex City players sucking him off on live TV everyday.
fecking nauseating. :mad:

croadyman

City doing things in the transfer market that we can only dream of..
Oh god got a picture in my head of that Toy Story puppet saying it now, brutal truth is we had our chances to sign him when he left Molde & Salzburg and blew it.

The first time due to a time cock up and second due to club not sharing Ole's passion for some bizarre reason.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Il curse him same way I did with Lukaku by predicting hel score 20+ goals