Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

croadyman

We where dumb to not give him the release clause when we could have bought him.

Either he would have helped us succeed and maybe have stayed or we would have helped us and moved on for a tidy profit.
Yeah and don't understand why the hell we weren't willing to do that for such a generational talent. Unfortunately we are going to live to regret that decision for many years to come.

Blood Mage

We were already so far behind them that I'm weirdly not mad about Haaland joining City. I'd say Liverpool have more to be mad about, they almost managed to completely close the gap and now City will probably leave them in the dirt too. We're about to become Ligue 1, City will win the title every year until Newcastle start closing in on them.

glasgow 21

I didn't mean that in a negative context. More like that they're both big names.

But yeah, we need to have a younger goalscorer than Ronaldo for the long term and someone like Kane could fit that.

Maybe he feels he has to move at some point because so far, he has no trophies to show for his career.

Not that winning anything here would be easy, far from it, but we'd probably offer him a better chance than spurs at this moment.
for heavens sake leave the kane nonsense alone. How many more mistakes do you want this club to make he is 29 in July and not what this re build needs. For one Levy would take all the summer budget.

Last edited:

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Rarely been more indifferent to a star signing in world football, i must say.

Probably just because its City, they are just not a very interesting club.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Dont understand when City fans say "we paid 63m for the best striker on the planet Klopp" in reference to him saying it'll take it to a new level, then they say "less than you paid for Alisson"

but Alisson is the best keeper on the planet, so i dont understand their [city fans'] argument. No sense comparing the fee for the best striker on the planet, to the fee for the best keeper. they signed Salah for less, who honestly, yes id take over Haaland

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
We were already so far behind them that I'm weirdly not mad about Haaland joining City. I'd say Liverpool have more to be mad about, they almost managed to completely close the gap and now City will probably leave them in the dirt too. We're about to become Ligue 1, City will win the title every year until Newcastle start closing in on them.
I don't think they will. As great as Haaland is Dortmund as a team haven't got any better despite him banging in the goals infact if anything they've got worse.

Also they will have to totally adapt a likely back to back title winning system to accommodate him which can cause teething problems even if he scores at a big rate, if he pulls a Sheva at us then.....

That said he maybe the one that gets them that clutch goal to finally see them over the line in the UCL but I really don't think 2+2=4 here regarding league football.

TOKUGAWA-X

Erling is the best CF in the world and if City can fix his sort of injury issues then in my humble opinion this man can break Ronaldos records easily.

He is younger than young Ronaldo at Madrid and can score for fun at City.

Wing Attack Plan R

I hate threads like this City sign Haaland shocker the rest of the Premier league may as well not turn up next season reading some of the comments on here.
Wait until Haaland steams down the pitch and runs into Our Harry. Or maybe Lindelof. I’m sure Fred will nick the ball off him before he even gets a sight of goal. We don’t even really need to spell out how Telles is going to fecking maim him if he ever drifts out wide.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don't think they will. As great as Haaland is Dortmund as a team haven't got any better despite him banging in the goals infact if anything they've got worse.

Also they will have to totally adapt a likely back to back title winning system to accommodate him which can cause teething problems even if he scores at a big rate, if he pulls a Sheva at us then.....

That said he maybe the one that gets them that clutch goal to finally see them over the line in the UCL but I really don't think 2+2=4 here regarding league football.
The only player City has been missing this season is a striker/goalscorer… they have one now, a very good one.

Imagine all the chances they have missed against Real, with Haaland it will be easy win for them.

SAFMUTD

Yeah and don't understand why the hell we weren't willing to do that for such a generational talent. Unfortunately we are going to live to regret that decision for many years to come.
Because it sets a terrible preceding. We are not a stepping club, we won't accept such demands. On the long term it would have hurt us way more than what Haaland would have help us.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The only player City has been missing this season is a striker/goalscorer… they have one now, a very good one.

Imagine all the chances they have missed against Real, with Haaland it will be easy win for them.
They create so many chances due to fluid interplay, agressive pressing and every player heavily involved in the build up.

Will they create that many chances with a relatively (by comparison) static poacher type up there (Even one as good as him)? Sounds great in theory but in the context of Pep's system i'd be a lot more worried had they signed Felix or went all in on Alvarez.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
They create so many chances due to fluid interplay, agressive pressing and every player heavily involved in the build up.

Will they create that many chances with a relatively (by comparison) static poacher type up there (Even one as good as him)? Sounds great in theory but in the context of Pep's system i'd be a lot more worried had they signed Felix or went all in on Alvarez.
It's not like they didn't play with a natural 9 in Aguero, they won back to back leagues with him hitting 100 and 98 pts. Equally Haaland presence, is going to be an issue for most teams, because they'll have to focus on shutting him down and putting a tighter defense around him. I feel teams have played City more openly recently because of the false 9. Regardless league campaigns hasn't really impacted them with or without a striker.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
That's a pretty good deal for him! I consider Manchester City a bit of a joke club but signing a player like him might be difference to finally win the UCL. They're already pretty dominant on their league and he might not suit Guardiola's football style but this is still a huge signing. I think they could had beat us had they signed Ronaldo, as he wasn't going to miss in a UCL semifinal, but Haaland can be that decisive player to get them over the line, or at least that's what everyone would hope of him with his already incredible scoring record so far.

A lot of people didn't like his former agent but when he signed for Dortmund I thought that release clause was something brilliant and could be something that we see more often in order to prevent situations similar to the ones of Mbappe or Pogba where they get signed on huge money and wages but then it becomes very difficult for them to change clubs.

Really wanted to get both Haaland and Mbappe in Real Madrid and in fact I would had preferred Haaland but oh well. With his addition it seems more unlikely Liverpool is going to be able to keep up with them.

capiloton

Supports
Man City
let's see if he is the real deal or a big fraud.

So far I haven't impressed by players that coming from Bundesliga to playing in EPL.
i think Kevin de Bruyne from Wolfburg is pretty good. No?

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

I get what you mean, but Haaland is still very young, he is fast and strong, and physically he is a beast. I reckon he still have plenty of time to adapt into Pep system.

Point is, City already have lots of players who are ballers/progressive passers, who are capable of creating many chances with fluid attacking football. They already have great shape/system, the only thing they lack now is a goalscorer. Haaland alone wouldn’t make them play worst football, but he could score few more goals for them for sure.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
I don't think he'll improve them that much.

It'll be another Zlatan to Barca situation. Pep didn't change style then to make best use of a big man up front. And he won't change style now to make best use of a counterattacking striker.

Haaland will be too good not to score goals. But so was Lukaku in his first season at United.

Dante

Average bang
Hang on, what happened to transfer windows?
Transfer windows define when you can register a player with the FA.

So the contracts for Haaland are signed. But he's not officially a City player until they file the paperwork on 10 June 2022.

A bit like getting married in a church and then waiting a few days before going to the registrars office to rubber stamp it from the government. City and Haaland can already consummate, they just can't claim any tax credits.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

It'll be another Zlatan to Barca situation. Pep didn't change style then to make best use of a big man up front. And he won't change style now to make best use of a counterattacking striker.

Haaland will be too good not to score goals. But so was Lukaku in his first season at United.
Well even if that doesn’t work out, at least they wouldn’t have to face the prospect of Haaland playing for the likes of Real, Bayern, PSG or Chelsea and scoring against them.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Imo, strikers like Zlatan, Lukaku and Haaland can fail in certain systems.

Only profile of strikers who work in every system are Lewandowski, Suarez and Benzema at the elite level. These 3 have good enough link up/ hold up play while also being quick enough to run in behind and stretch defenses or function in very tight spaces.

Don't know if it's just me but I always found Raul Jiminez very talented and complete. If his career aligned differently, he'd be playing for an elite club.

In terms of playing style, I'd describe Haaland as the "fast man in behind" rather than "big man up front". I agree with your point. City face opponents who play a very compact low block.

Where's the space for Haaland to run in behind?? He's not nearly good enough in tight spaces to consistently affect the game in those scenarios.

Well even if that doesn’t work out, at least they wouldn’t have to face the prospect of Haaland playing for the likes of Real, Bayern, PSG or Chelsea and scoring against them.
If I remember correctly, when City faced him Dias absolutely dominated him.

RedCurry

He’s a good deal, not because he will somehow transform them but because he will very likely retain his transfer value regardless of how he performs. If he plays well, all great for City. If he doesn’t, then it will be the fault of Pep’s system and he’ll be compared to Zlatan.

Dempsey19

I still can't believe we sent our scout Tommy Moller Nielsen to watch him play at Molde under Ole and he scored something like 4 goals in 20 mins.

I immediately thought okay that's enough to make a move. We didn't do shit and he signed for RB Salzburg instead.

He probably would be on loan still with some 3rd divison Scottish club if we did get him at 17 years old.

We aren't catching City anytime soon so doesn't really make a difference to us.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Wait, so Haaland is only getting a £3m signing on bonus whilst his agents are getting £40m+.

Hmm sure, considering it was coming out last year that Raiola and Haaland were going around clubs looking for £1m a week I'm not sure why he'd accept that little, whilst Mbappe (his closest rival) will be earning more than 5 times that with his next contract.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
This is far worse news for Liverpool as it is for us. We aren't getting close to a league title for 3-4 years anyway.

We need to get our own house in order and do a lot of other things right before we can even think about taking them on. By the time that arrives Haaland may even be moving on anyway.
This. We need to be realistic here and we need to sort ourselves out first

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I still can't believe we sent our scout Tommy Moller Nielsen to watch him play at Molde under Ole and he scored something like 4 goals in 20 mins.

I immediately thought okay that's enough to make a move. We didn't do shit and he signed for RB Salzburg instead.

He probably would be on loan still with some 3rd divison Scottish club if we did get him at 17 years old.

We aren't catching City anytime soon so doesn't really make a difference to us.
Lads, its our scouting department

OldSchoolManc

Can anyone explain to me how City can still claim to be spending what they earn? Is FFP dead in the water?
They are literally taking the mickey out of any sense of fair play.
The football manager cheat code is in full force. Still not won champions league? Oh, here’s another 500 million investment…

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
City don't sign a striker: stupid management, arrogance from Pep, cost them in the CL

City sign a striker: won't fit their style of play, they won't be as dominant

big rons sovereign

Transfer windows define when you can register a player with the FA.

So the contracts for Haaland are signed. But he's not officially a City player until they file the paperwork on 10 June 2022.

A bit like getting married in a church and then waiting a few days before going to the registrars office to rubber stamp it from the government. City and Haaland can already consummate, they just can't claim any tax credits.
That's quite the analogy.

Zen86

Interesting how their transfer policy has shifted towards the star names more recently. Quite clearly desperate to buy their way to the CL.

Zen86

We where dumb to not give him the release clause when we could have bought him.

Either he would have helped us succeed and maybe have stayed or we would have helped us and moved on for a tidy profit.
Yeah how great would it be if he was currently leaving us to go to City :rolleyes:

EtH

City don't sign a striker: stupid management, arrogance from Pep, cost them in the CL

City sign a striker: won't fit their style of play, they won't be as dominant
Something happens: Someone posts something like this.

Something doesn’t happen: Someone posts something like this.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The amount of money going towards his entourage makes me sick. Football is truly ruined. Same thing with Mbapp and his future contract, ridiculous bonuses awarded to players who already benefit from increased wages

AndySmith1990

If we were in a position to challenge them for trophies and we had a genuine chance of signing him I'd probably be more bothered. As it is I don't think it matters. I'm more worried about getting our own house in order than worrying about what other clubs do at this point. It wouldn't have phased Ferguson, it would have only made him more determined to be even better, and that's how we should be thinking.

gregor

Can't wait for Harry M. masterclass against him next season. :drool:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Dont understand when City fans say "we paid 63m for the best striker on the planet Klopp" in reference to him saying it'll take it to a new level, then they say "less than you paid for Alisson"

but Alisson is the best keeper on the planet, so i dont understand their [city fans'] argument. No sense comparing the fee for the best striker on the planet, to the fee for the best keeper. they signed Salah for less, who honestly, yes id take over Haaland
Yep, and we all know the 63m is without the agent and dad fees. Not that it matters - Haaland went to Dortmund specifically as a stepping stone and with a clause inserted. It’s not really a “market value” deal as the selling club had their hands tied.