Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Elite players doing elite things doesn't say much about the overall quality of a league is what I'm saying. Haaland would have still scored if he played for Wolves, it's just made easier to do so at Man City
You're making my point, the perceived quality of the league is irrelevant for players like that. If you're trying to argue the PL isn't overrated, I'll refer you to his thread prior to his City move or all those farmers league comments you see so often coming almost exclusively from PL fans.

John Blund

I was told he needed time to adapt to PL. Hopefully he adapted really fast, so we won’t se him evolve even further.

Hester_manc

He will become the best player in the world, and maybe he already is. I cant stand the look of him - I guess I always suspected he would end up in City because of his father, and maybe that is way I have hated him always.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
You're making my point, the perceived quality of the league is irrelevant for players like that. If you're trying to argue the PL isn't overrated, I'll refer you to his thread prior to his City move or all those farmers league comments you see so often coming almost exclusively from PL fans.
But to counter those overrated claims, you go too far to the other side is my point. No matter the ridiculous number of goals he will end up scoring, the PL will still be what it is, the best league in the world when every aspect is taken into consideration. It doesn't mean the other leagues are shit

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I despise him, why the ferk would I admire him? Ferk him and ferk man city.

I said it when they signed him, the league’s over. People told me he wouldn’t get more than 15-17 in his first year in the epl. Don’t wanna quote you guys but you’re not looking too wise now. All the false 9 brigade needs to shut up.
Go and quote them lad. You'll feel much better about it afterwards.

KeanoMagicHat

Yeah another source seems to indicate he has 3 as well.

As an aside, I don't really get the obsession with hat-tricks as a way to rate a player. Over 4 games if one player scores 2 hat-tricks but doesn't score in the other two and the other player scores 0 hat-tricks but scores 2 goals 4 times, then obviously the latter is better.

Ronaldo himself scored 2 goals a lot for United, important two goal contributions and a strange lack of hat-tricks. Then he scored lots of hat-tricks in La Liga in games that were 6 or 7 nil that were pure stat padding.

SAFMUTD

He has a very real chance of besting Messi's 50 goals in a league season doesn't he. I think Salahs 32 is almost guaranteed to be beaten
I think he'll surpass that 50 goal mark this season. He has 14 already in just 8 games. At this pace he'll end up with over 60.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
But to counter those overrated claims, you go too far to the other side is my point. No matter the ridiculous number of goals he will end up scoring, the PL will still be what it is, the best league in the world when every aspect is taken into consideration. It doesn't mean the other leagues are shit
How did I go too far to the other side? I just said the PL is overrated. It's the richest and most-watched, that's it. The best league doesn't mean anything, it certainly hasn't translated to the CL especially if we look at City being supposedly the best team in the world for some time now.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I don't mind him. He's more of a character than Salah or De Bruyne and I don't think he will remain at City for the remainder of his career. You could argue he is the best player in the world, real throwback to have a pure goalscorer as the number one player.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He’s better then Mbappe. You simply can’t bypass his numbers and the level of opposition he is playing against weekly. Playing against Stade Reims and Angers every other week just can’t compare I’m sorry.
That was the same logic that saw Haaland downplayed last year too. It’s obvious Mbappe would score goals for fun in this City team too.

Ladron de redcafe

As an aside, I don't really get the obsession with hat-tricks as a way to rate a player. Over 4 games if one player scores 2 hat-tricks but doesn't score in the other two and the other player scores 0 hat-tricks but scores 2 goals 4 times, then obviously the latter is better.

Ronaldo himself scored 2 goals a lot for United, important two goal contributions and a strange lack of hat-tricks. Then he scored lots of hat-tricks in La Liga in games that were 6 or 7 nil that were pure stat padding.
Great point, actually. It would have meant that your goals aren't as spread out i.e. that you haven't scored in as many matches.

A perfect example of what you're talking about was Berbatov in the 2010-2011 season, if I remember correctly.

kouroux

How did I go too far to the other side? I just said the PL is overrated. It's the richest and most-watched, that's it. The best league doesn't mean anything, it certainly hasn't translated to the CL especially if we look at City being supposedly the best team in the world for some time now.
It's the best product in isolation tbh, it doesn't guarantee CL victories of course as it's something else entirely.

kouroux

I don't mind him. He's more of a character than Salah or De Bruyne and I don't think he will remain at City for the remainder of his career. You could argue he is the best player in the world, real throwback to have a pure goalscorer as the number one player.
As crazy as it sounds, it's hard for me to consider him better than KDB

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's the best product in isolation tbh, it doesn't guarantee CL victories of course as it's something else entirely.
Okay, just to make this clear because I think we're talking about different things here, you're talking (I think) as a fan of watching football. I'm simply talking about players performing in the league, and their performances in other leagues being seen as some kind of sub-standard because it's not done in the PL.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Haaland was nowhere near worth 100m when he signed for Dortmund. Captain Hindsight.
€60m release clause actually seemed reasonable for them when he signed.
60m release clause could be argued was fairly low. Haaland wasnt signed as a unknown quantity that did well in the Austrian league. He was signed as a young forward that broke CL goalscoring records set by the games greats.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Huh?

KeanoMagicHat

I think he'll surpass that 50 goal mark this season. He has 14 already in just 8 games. At this pace he'll end up with over 60.
Depends on fitness. The most league games he played for Dortmund was 28/34 games. If he plays all 38, then he has a great chance of hitting some crazy records, if he only plays 30 or so, it's a tough ask.

Great point, actually. It would have meant that your goals aren't as spread out i.e. that you haven't scored in as many matches.

A perfect example of what you're talking about was Berbatov in the 2010-2011 season, if I remember correctly.
Yeah good shout as he'd 5 against Blackburn and Berbatov was even dropped for Hernandez in the run-in. Compared to say Cantona's only 14 in 95/96... yet scored in 6 straight games in the run-in, 5 of them the only goal in wins or draws.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don’t like talking about him much but I wish we just allowed the buy out clause.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Uh, it's been statistically proven that it's better to have a striker score 2 in one game then 0 in the next than score 1 in each btw

El Jefe

That's up there with some of the best striker performances I've seen against us. Nearly everything he did was meaningful.

MrEleson

He isn’t the best player in the world. Mbappe is a better all-round player than him in his very own position as is Benzema.

Suedesi

I think Haaland is a better version of Cristiano. He's not going to pass Messi, but he'll obliterate Cristiano and all his records

footballbite

We should have let City get Ronaldo on 2021and trow all the money we had to this guy this previous summer, but of course our board doesn't have that type of vision :wenger:
As if he'd have ever joined a club without Champion's League football!

Ladron de redcafe

Depends on fitness. The most league games he played for Dortmund was 28/34 games. If he plays all 38, then he has a great chance of hitting some crazy records, if he only plays 30 or so, it's a tough ask.

Yeah good shout as he'd 5 against Blackburn and Berbatov was even dropped for Hernandez in the run-in. Compared to say Cantona's only 14 in 95/96... yet scored in 6 straight games in the run-in, 5 of them the only goal in wins or draws.
And had the last minute equaliser against QPR as well as the only 2 goals in a cup win, somewhere in the middle of that stretch.

A crazy stretch of matches with one outfield player taking care of business (Cantona) and a goalkeeper keeping everything out.

Keane scored a late goal in a 1-0 win at Elland road later as well, if I remember correctly.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Uh, it's been statistically proven that it's better to have a striker score 2 in one game then 0 in the next than score 1 in each btw
Is that true? Presumably because the former means you're more likely to get 3+ points from across the two games because of how many goals tends to result in a win?

Chief123

60m release clause could be argued was fairly low. Haaland wasnt signed as a unknown quantity that did well in the Austrian league. He was signed as a young forward that broke CL goalscoring records set by the games greats.
And without the release clause, Dortmund would never have got the player. It wasn’t there call, it was the agent and players. I’m sure Dortmund wouldn’t have wanted the clause but they accepted it was the only way they could get the player. The main reason why we didn’t sign him was because of our refusal to accept the clause.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Haaland surely Balón D’or material come end of season. Too early this year but next.

Swedish_Plumber

He’s a monster and can take games away from any side in a matter of minutes.

If he stays fit it could be an unprecedented season for city and himself.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Is that true? Presumably because the former means you're more likely to get 3+ points from across the two games because of how many goals tends to result in a win?
Yep

Chief123

I think Haaland is a better version of Cristiano. He's not going to pass Messi, but he'll obliterate Cristiano and all his records
Obliterate it? :lol: Nonsense. He’ll do well to get close to it.

You do realise he needs to score around 50 goals every season for around 15 seasons? He’ll do well not to even get injured for long periods in those 15 years.

kouroux

Okay, just to make this clear because I think we're talking about different things here, you're talking (I think) as a fan of watching football. I'm simply talking about players performing in the league, and their performances in other leagues being seen as some kind of sub-standard because it's not done in the PL.
Regarding what you're talking about, I would agree with that. Football is far too complicated to simplify it with saying x league is harder than y and that's why this player is underperforming

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Regarding what you're talking about, I would agree with that. Football is far too complicated to simplify it with saying x league is harder than y and that's why this player is underperforming
That's all I'm talking about when I say overrated. There's zero doubts the best product is the PL, great stadiums, atmosphere, the best coaches are there, security is top notch, and it's far and away the richest league. There's no comparison except for maybe the Bundesliga as far as presentation and atmosphere.