Nordic Ghost Yeti (Scandi Carroll) | Haaland at City

NewUser777

Haaland has 21 goals for Norway (currently €338M market value, 42. place in FIFA world ranking). Those are distributed like this:

Austria (243M, 34.): 1 goal
North Ireland (28M, 59.): 2 goals
Romania (76M, 53.): 3 goals
Luxemburg (20M, 92.): 1 goal
Netherlands (473M, 8.): 1 goal
Latvia (9M, 134.): 1 goal
Gibraltar (2M, 204.): 3 goal
Slovakia (126M, 55.): 1 goal
Armenia (28M, 93.): 2 goals
Serbia (328M, 21.): 1 goal
Sweden (179M, 25.): 4 goals
Slovenia (103M, 63.): 1 goal

Please explain how this record prove he scores for weak teams as well? Of his 21 goals only 1 (!) was against a team with a higher market value and only 7 against higher ranked teams, some of which still far inferior to this Norway side.

Again, it is not about the question if Haaland is world class or not, he obviously is. But this notion that he can do it under any circumstances in any system is simply wrong, he's reliant on his team like everyone else and arguably over-averagely so in comparison to the echelon of players he's already compared with. Which is by no means a bad thing. I'd rather have a player who absolutely nails it under the right circumstances than one who is decent but not extraordinary in all situations.
Question. How do you know he can’t? He has done and is doing it under every circumstance he has been playing. At what level do you think he will fail? What you are saying is really you don’t know. And we don’t. Simple as that

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
That might all be the case but it has almost nothing to do with the actual point: Haaland scoring against teams with probably not even second division quality is hardly evidence that he's not a "system player" or doesn't rely on service.

I'm not even criticizing him, just pointing out that the idea of a player being so good that he works under any circumstances is wrong. Had Haaland joined United under Solskjaer for instance, the opinions in here would be the total opposite. They would probably have created more chances due to his great movememt and hunger but still not even remotely enough to keep up the scoring rate he currently maintains. And that's the case for all players, not only Haaland.
Your point is a bit to nuanced for some people on here. Even Pep Guardiola was clear on the difference between a Messi and a Haaland type player and it is not a bad thing. The scariest things about him are his off the ball movement and his finishing ability.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
why is he worth a million a week? City were already the best without him so it will be tough to justify unless they win 4 CL in a row like Real
Because he had his pick of big clubs, some of which were also offering those wages. It's the market
He is a World class target man who is unbelievably efficient. Let's not pretend he creates his own chances or that he is also a good passer or creator of chances. He needs the team behind to get him the ball in goalscoring positions.
Just like every other forward in history then

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
@totaalvoetbal How would you compare Haaland to Van Basten and Ruud?
With regards to van Basten, I'm not too comfortable comparing players now to players of the past, especially with the change in offside rule. The younger van Basten has an argument for being the best striker I have seen in my lifetime. Ball carrying, excellent in the air, good with both feet in terms of passing and finishing, could play in the channels, could drop deep, could hold up the ball. I would say Marco van Basten was more of a complete player, but Haaland's off the ball movement and "instinct" for goals is Gerd Muller-esque. We have to also remember that he (Haaland) is 22.

As for Ruud van Nistelrooij, I would take Haaland simply because of his attitude to the game. Haaland is more associative and plays more for the team. Ruud van Nistelrooij was selfish and only created space for himself. The crazy thing is, Ruud van Nistelrooij had the potential to do a lot more than he showed, even Johan Cruijff was critical of him.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Question. How do you know he can’t? He has done and is doing it under every circumstance he has been playing. At what level do you think he will fail? What you are saying is really you don’t know. And we don’t. Simple as that
Exactly, we don't know. So far Haaland has almost exclusively played for teams that created lots and lots of chances and were top 2 in their league. He has done nothing to suggest that he would maintain this goal scoring rate at a club that struggles to create said chances. Actually, I saw a few games in which he looked pretty lost when his Dortmund team mates failed to set him up. Which will obviously almost never happen at City.

Your point is a bit to nuanced for some people on here. Even Pep Guardiola was clear on the difference between a Messi and a Haaland type player and it is not a bad thing. The scariest things about him are his off the ball movement and his finishing ability.
Yeah, for some there's only black and white

Anderson_7_

All the doom and gloom is premature. It's only October and Haaland & City are yet to be tested this season. Even weakened Dortmund managed to keep Haaland & KDB silenced for most of the game. Let's see what happens when they face elite teams with elite defenders.

And feel free to tag me if Haaland further elevates his game and starts producing worldies and screamers on a regular basis!

NewUser777

Exactly, we don't know. So far Haaland has almost exclusively played for teams that created lots and lots of chances and were top 2 in their league. He has done nothing to suggest that he would maintain this goal scoring rate at a club that struggles to create said chances. Actually, I saw a few games in which he looked pretty lost when his Dortmund team mates failed to set him up. Which will obviously almost never happen at City.

What do you mean? He has done nothing but sustain it.

mshnsh

Neymar is not just a playmaker … he has literally played as a support striker or wide forward all his life … his main job is to score goals. How is he 3 goals away from breaking Pele’s Brazil record if goal scoring, taking up striker positions and starting up front is not his main job? You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about.
Neymar is a classic "trequartista". His game is more about creating than getting at the end of chances and therefore you cannot judge his performances based on how many goals he scored. Such one dimensional measures of judgement are reserved for players whose overwhelmingcontribution to any game is in form of goals.

Last edited:

Reiver

Whenever I feel down about Haaland's goalscoring achievements and him being at City, I remind myself it could be worse: he could have chosen to play for England.

Cloud7

All the doom and gloom is premature. It's only October and Haaland & City are yet to be tested this season. Even weakened Dortmund managed to keep Haaland & KDB silenced for most of the game. Let's see what happens when they face elite teams with elite defenders.

And feel free to tag me if Haaland further elevates his game and starts producing worldies and screamers on a regular basis!
There aren’t many elite teams in the PL right now :lol: City won’t be stopped by anyone in the league because the top teams in the league, Arsenal aside, aren’t doing well right now.

The CL on the other hand is a different story. Id still say Bayern, Real or PSG can overcome city.

Handré1990

You’re hilarious :lol: For some there’s only black and white… Ladies and gentlemen! The poster who rates national teams by how much their squads are valued in money.

cyberman

Or if he scores 50/year for less seasons...
No chance. That’s an insane conversion rate. I actually think this City side will be the best attacking side he’ll ever play in so whatever his City rate ends up being will lessen

padr81

Supports
Man City
Struggling today a bit, the rest of the team have loads of space to play because Southampton are terrified of him but his passing has been poor. He might get one because his movement is so good but poor first half.

ForeverRed1

He has a basic salary in line with club's top earner, so he has the same weekly salary like KDB. If he performs well and earn his bonus for goal and assist, or trophies then good for him and he deserves it. I don't understand what "almost guaranteed" bonus is. May be it refers to league title winning bonus? Top goal scorer bonus? It is not like other Man City players do not have performance related bonus.
Never understood giving players bonuses for scoring goals and assists. I know, let’s pay a player 350k per week to score goals.. and then let’s pay him more on top every time he does what we pay him 350k a week to do. So really he’s being paid to train and play and earns money for goals and assists on top of that.

its as if 350k per week isn’t enough incentive. Unreal money

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Not his day so far, but the first chance which hit the post was actually a really good finish, early and clever

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He's scored more goals than the whole United team put together so far this season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Proof you shouldn't buy players from the weak German league...or something.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
At this point he's just ruining English football. Or at least the title race.

At least Messi and Ronaldo created a 2 horse race.

Eriku

At this point he's just ruining English football. Or at least the title race.

At least Messi and Ronaldo created a 2 horse race.
Hard to create a two-horse race seeing as nobody in the EPL will match PSG’s playing manager position for Mbappe.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Hard to create a two-horse race seeing as nobody in the EPL will match PSG’s playing manager position for Mbappe.
Get Mbappé to Newcastle....?
There's that South Park world of warcraft video where one player is destroying everyone so the developers give the boys a special sword.

What I'm saying is, give Mbappe to Arsenal.