Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

mu4c_20le

Also :lol: at the thread title. When you get pocketed by this guy playing out of position...

Roboc7

It’s crazy he can be so prolific but also so anonymous. Kane would have been much better signing for them, Haaland has obviously added something different to City but they’ve sacrificed a fair bit as well.

acnumber9

For all the goals, he hasn’t made them better. Whether it’s due to him or not, they’re worse.

Cloud7

There's going to be a lot of hot takes flying around regarding him now but for me his form has dropped because City's has. He's incredibly reliant on service and City collectively have been terrible since the World Cup. Nothing more to it than that.
Well yeah, but the discussion around him has always been about the pros and cons of a player who is so incredibly reliant on service. Personally I do not like players like that.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He's an incredible poacher and that's it. He has nothing else in his repertoire. Whenever great chances aren't being handed to him, his team plays with ten men. That'll keep him from reaching the heights of Ronaldo and Messi, unless he develops.
Well many great strikers in the history of football are like that, it's just that every game he doesn't score, brings a smile of my face.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Well yeah, but the discussion around him has always been about the pros and cons of a player who is so incredibly reliant on service. Personally I do not like players like that.
All strikers rely on service. What is this world where strikers get no help from their team and routinely score and create every game?

Messi is not human, before you go there

lost7

To be fair, Mbappe has yet to win one too. I don't really consider winning the league with PSG something impressive. Mbappe has the WC but Haaland would have too if he was French.
He's won it with Monaco at 17.

Mbappe is a better player at this stage, it shouldn't even be a debate right now

The Purley King

Was utterly insignificant today.
Was very worried about this game but he hardly got a kick of the ball.
Cut off the supply and he looked very ordinary

Slevs

likes to play with penises
fecker kicks the air, misses the ball, falls over and wants a penalty. Yeah get fecked

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
It's usually Liverpool who have the luck with the opposition's best attacker not able to play for some reason. Pretty jammy from us tbh :wenger:

Cloud7

All strikers rely on service. What is this world where strikers get no help from their team and routinely score and create every game?

Messi is not human, before you go there
Kane is not as heavily reliant on service and does well on his own. RVP did a lot on his own. Aguero did a lot on his own. Rooney did a lot on his own. Suarez did a lot on his own. Villa. Drogba.

And his own 'rival' so to speak now, Mbappe, is far more capable of winning a match on his own than Haaland is.

I am not saying that all strikers do it on their own all the time, but compared to the other names that Haaland gets mentioned alongside, he does a lot less than they were able to.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The thing is City had 71% possession. Is that really 'without the ball'? you can't get more than that in a big match.
I guess he's just not very good at dropping deep when he doesn't get the ball up front.
He's not like RvP, Ibra, Rooney where if you stop their service, they will drop deep and contribute there instead.

Dolf

he won it with Monaco - against PSG.
He's won it with Monaco at 17.

Mbappe is a better player at this stage, it shouldn't even be a debate right now
Oh yeah complete forgot about that. Still though, some people act like Mbappe and Haaland are close to Messi level but they're clearly not.
I don't disagree though, Mbappe is much better than Haaland. Very interesting to see how their careers will go. For some reason I think Haaland will end up with more trophies than Mbappe.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Almost like I was right with my view that they have suffered from him being in the team. He’s an amazing player let’s get that right though.

mu4c_20le

Oh yeah complete forgot about that. Still though, some people act like Mbappe and Haaland are close to Messi level but they're clearly not.
I don't disagree though, Mbappe is much better than Haaland. Very interesting to see how their careers will go. For some reason I think Haaland will end up with more trophies than Mbappe.
Haaland just reminds me of a less physical Ronaldo.

RedCurry

You don’t stop a poacher. You stop the supply line and make him come deep. Because by the time he’s around your six yard box, it is usually too late. Easier said than done though.
Said this a while ago and I still feel this was the best way to tackle Haaland. Instead of trying to stop him from getting on the ball, let him get the ball deeper. You’d rather have Haaland than De Bruyne in the midfield with the ball.

BorisManUtd

Well completely different game to the one at Etihad. I was worried but Varane and Shaw dealt well with him.

abundance

Supports
Inter
I wonder if there’s any possibility of Guardiola selling Haaland in the summer à la how he bombed Ibrahimovic out of Barcelona after a single season? Ibrahimovic wasn’t playing poorly individually but his mere presence arguably made Barcelona play less cohesively than they were otherwise capable of.

I think there’s certainly an argument that the same exists here with Haaland, a gifted goalscorer but not somebody who helps this City team play in a way that we’re accustomed to seeing.
Ibrahimovic stayed only one season mainly because him and Pep pissed off each other royally.
Plus Zaltan wanted to act gigachad in the locker room and the catalans were unfazed.
Plus he was scorned that he had to adapt his playstyle to accomodate Messi 's desire to play as a false nine.

Haaland seems to have a good relationship with Guardiola and the whole team.
And it doesn't seem that he's not listening to the coach.

Castia

Will score a ton of goals when the opportunities come but the flip side is like today if they're struggling to create he looks useless

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Will score a ton of goals when the opportunities come but the flip side is like today if they're struggling to create he looks useless
Yep. I've said it before, but the only positive difference he's made to City is that when they beat the shite teams it's 3-0 (Haaland, Haaland, Haaland) instead of 3-0 (Mahrez, Gundogan, De Bruyne).

They otherwise look worse than any other of their recent iterations. And to think there are people earlier in this thread crying that we should just award every title to them as long as they have this fecking roided up Pippo Inzaghi. :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was a ghost today. I know he's a good poacher but people need to sometimes remember that he is that. Outside of goals his game is really bang average. No surprise that City are doing worse with him.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Great to see this thread bumped when it's not about him scoring a tap-in.

To be honest, since the restart he has been non-existent in a lot of games. He adds nothing to build up play

mu4c_20le

Worst argument ever for a 1 to 1 player comparison.
The context was about the best players in the world after Messi/Ronaldo are gone. I didnt just come in and say, oh Haaland reminds me of Ronnie