Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

Suedesi

Any striker under Pep G fails - unless it's prime Messi playing in a false nine.

Balde fraude

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I said it in the summer. There is a chance he could have a negative effect on them. I was ridiculed.
For all his goals, if you stole him, you have a good chance of winning cause they have changed the way they play to accommodate him.

Bobski

The thing is City had 71% possession. Is that really 'without the ball'? you can't get more than that in a big match.
I guess he's just not very good at dropping deep when he doesn't get the ball up front.
He's not like RvP, Ibra, Rooney where if you stop their service, they will drop deep and contribute there instead.
The vast majority of that possession was passive recycling of the ball deep. Even on TV you could see him making run after run and City players not even looking in his direction. He is one dimensional and his style doesn't always mesh well with boring possession play.

Sviken

Haaland just reminds me of a less physical Ronaldo.
Not at all. Ronaldo was heavily involved in plays in his first stint with us. While in Madrid he was more of a goalscorer, he still had more to his game than Haaland does. Haaland reminds me of a prime Michael Owen - amazing poacher but not much else.

mu4c_20le

Not at all. Ronaldo was heavily involved in plays in his first stint with us. While in Madrid he was more of a goalscorer, he still had more to his game than Haaland does. Haaland reminds me of a prime Michael Owen - amazing poacher but not much else.
He's stronger than Owen, he can shrug off most defenders. By less physical I was thinking of the leap, as he isn't as dangerous in the air.

mctrials23

I think part of the issue is that he thrives on service and a lot of that service comes via De Bruyne. If you can stop De Bruyne you almost get a two for one offer with Haaland included.

Hes a player they should be building their side around really and they haven't. They still have a team that is almost entirely technical players who like to break the opposition down. Haaland is the sort of striker who wants to run in behind and get on the end of crosses beyond the last defender. If you aren't providing either of those things he isn't going to be as effective.

Would be far better at Liverpool, Arsenal, United or Chelsea than at City IMO.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Dunno he went a game without scoring. Mental.

whitbyviking

Haalands whining over the penalty shout was a joy to behold. He looked a big clumsy oaf, a limited one at that too. Casemiro far too cute nipping in ahead of him and stealing the ball, while he tried to get those daft, long, yeti legs moving in the right direction. Like watching Wile E Coyote start running, if he was on stilts.

whitbyviking

I think part of the issue is that he thrives on service and a lot of that service comes via De Bruyne. If you can stop De Bruyne you almost get a two for one offer with Haaland included.

Hes a player they should be building their side around really and they haven't. They still have a team that is almost entirely technical players who like to break the opposition down. Haaland is the sort of striker who wants to run in behind and get on the end of crosses beyond the last defender. If you aren't providing either of those things he isn't going to be as effective.

Would be far better at Liverpool, Arsenal, United or Chelsea than at City IMO.
Good point that. He’d thrive at United With through balls from Bruno, Eriksen and Casemiro, who at times has looked like prime Guti in the attacking third.

mu4c_20le

Maybe Ronaldo of today but Ronaldo of the past decade could would drop deep and cause all sorts of issues for opposition.

Haalands not even Mbappe level yet imo
Yeah not the peak one obviously. Thats GOAT level. It'll be interesting to see if he can still hit 40 in the league, 50-60 overall with his limited gameplay

Suedesi

Maybe Ronaldo of today but Ronaldo of the past decade could would drop deep and cause all sorts of issues for opposition.

No shame in that, Mbappe is the best player in the world right now (and I know Messi will get the Ballon d'Or)

Redlyn

He does have 21 league goals in record time so he does his job but reminds me of latter year Ruud. Great goal scorer but ultimately limits the teams overall fluidity. Halaad will score tons but other city players will score less.

Last edited:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He was isolated all game. Barely touched the ball. If you have 70% of the ball but only get it to the striker a couple of times with his back to goal, not much the striker can do. It's surely those who work the ball around 70% of the time who have to be more adventurous to create danger, but then they wouldn't have that 70% to brag about. Blaming their '20 goal in 15 games' striker for losing when you have 70% of the ball is... terrible. City played it too safe and got punished for it.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

He is nowhere near the class of M'bappe and never will be

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Yes the same side, you could see the difference in their back to back games with city.
Eh sounds like reaching. Didn't even mention the injuries for Chelsea.

Kane is not as heavily reliant on service and does well on his own. RVP did a lot on his own. Aguero did a lot on his own. Rooney did a lot on his own. Suarez did a lot on his own. Villa. Drogba.

And his own 'rival' so to speak now, Mbappe, is far more capable of winning a match on his own than Haaland is.

I am not saying that all strikers do it on their own all the time, but compared to the other names that Haaland gets mentioned alongside, he does a lot less than they were able to.
And I'm saying you're massively overrating the amount of times top strikers have to do it on their own. Top strikers play for the best teams for this very reason; so they don't have to do it by themselves often, because it's an inefficient way of getting goals. You mention Aguero but vast majority of his goals were great chances provided to him by the team, he had to put them away of course.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not on the talent level of Mbappe that’s for sure. Looks average outside of his insane goal scoring ability. Will score 40+ goals still though

matsdf

It's insane that it's only KdB really trying to pass to him. Mahrez, Foden, B. Silva so often overlook his runs. We should be very thankful for that today.

SER19

Get him chances and he just won't stop scoring. Stopping him is about stopping the supply and if that happens he maybe doesn't offer enough. Even so more often than not they'll create chances. If de Bruyne gets an injury they'd be in trouble