North Korea conducts first nuclear test

nickm

spare ribs said:
But why are you so selective? Nuclear weapons in the hands of India , Pakistan and Israel is just as scary.
Israel is a democracy, as is India. Pakistan is not. I would always trust a democracy over a dictatorship, any day, and frankly so should you.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
golden_blunder said:
Vidic will head it clear
We should send in Bono and the U2 boys on the back of their last album.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
It's a shame people support North Korea having nukes...it seems to me some are just blinded by their hatred of US foreign policy - which is a different issue altogether.

Just a quick reminder that North Korea is a Stalinist tyranny responsible for the starvation and malnutrition of its own citizens. It wants nukes for continuation of this policy and more importantly to hold hostage its neighbours.

spare ribs

nickm said:
Israel is a democracy, as is India. Pakistan is not. I would always trust a democracy over a dictatorship, any day, and frankly so should you.
Frankly I don't trust any country that has the bomb, neither should you.
Being a 'democracy' doesn't mean you'll do the right thing.

Apparently North Korea got their technology from Pakistan, but I don't hear any 'democracies' calling for action against them. It's said South Africa (when it was apartheid run) got their technology from Israel.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Sultan said:
It's a shame people support North Korea having nukes...it seems to me some are just blinded by their hatred of US foreign policy - which is a different issue altogether.

Just a quick reminder that North Korea is a Stalinist tyranny responsible for the starvation and malnutrition of its own citizens. It wants nukes for continuation of this policy and more importantly to hold hostage its neighbours.
I dont support anybody having nukes. I think its rich that countries with nukes are telling other countries they cant develop them and I find it hard to understand that the only country who has used them in active combat is leading the band of hypocrites.

spare ribs

Stick said:
I dont support anybody having nukes. I think its rich that countries with nukes are telling other countries they cant develop them and I find it hard to understand that the only country who has used them in active combat is leading the band of hypocrites.
That's how I feel too.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
nickm said:
Do you believe that Democracies are beyond corruption?

Sultan

Stick said:
It's very much my line of thinking, my second post suggested the world powers should open up a dialogue to rid the world of nuclear weapons.

Sultan

Stick said:
Both democracies and tyrants have made disastrous mistakes in their foreign policies...

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Sultan said:
It's very much my line of thinking, my second post suggested the world powers should open up a dialogue to rid the world of nuclear weapons.
Yes I agree here and maybe they could use their combined knowledge to make nuclear power safer and cleaner as our fossil fuels get more and more depleted.

RedCanuck

nickm said:
No, I am pointing out that a nuclear North Korea is a fcuking massive policy failure for the US, a failure to deliver on a clearly enunciated objective and shows the US has failed in one of its key objectives - stop the proliferation of nukes to hostile powers. If any part of the war on terror made any sense, it was this one, and even here the bloody 'war' isn't working. You think Iran is more or less likely to get their nukes today?
I see your point. I'd agree the US didn't achieve their stated goals, that much is clear to anyone. The fact is that the US only has/had so much influence in the region. This was China's sphere, and they had the most influence on North Korea and they are not happy about Kim's actions. The most pissed off is probably Japan, we may now see them arm in accordance with MAD theory.

nickm said:
Well, perhaps if the US hadn't chosen to invade Iraq, they might have had more freedom for manoeuvre with regard to North Korea. If the US *had* decided a military response was necessary in this case, Iraq has removed their ability to act. And lots of people again, said so at the time Iraq was invaded.
There was never a military option in North Korea so Iraq has nothing to do with it, whatever anyone said at the time. It is disingenuous for the chattering classes to claim military action against North Korea would have been an option, particularly since they would have opposed that action on similar grounds as they have opposed the Iraqi action.

ellie brown

the east is red
nickm said:
I'd far rather a nuclear US - a country under democratic control - than any of the states you probably think more highly of.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hilarious.

nickm

Stick said:
No. But I'd rather live in a western democracy, even with all its flaws, than anywhere else.

nickm

Stick said:
It's one thing to hope the world could be nuke free. It's another thing entirely to make a dumb moral equivalence between nukes under democratic control, and those under the control of dictators. And this charge of hypocrisy is a teenaged nonsense.

nickm

spare ribs said:
Frankly I don't trust any country that has the bomb, neither should you.
Being a 'democracy' doesn't mean you'll do the right thing.
No, but it does at least mean that whatever the thing is to be done, usually has to have broad support.

holyland red

"Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"
"Over half of Europeans think Israel poses the "biggest threat to world peace," according to a controversial poll commissioned by the European Commission. "(2003)
:rolleyes:

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
jasonrh said:
Clearly the US is under the dictatorial control of the scheming name-changing Nazi-Jews.

Supreme Court Justices decided the outcome a few years back.

Not exactly democratic.

nickm

Sultan said:
We did have such a thing, it was called the Non Proliferation Treaty and not one of these numbskulls (not you) has bothered to castigate North Korea for breaking it. Instead, they'd rather make lazy statements about 'hypocrisy'. Unbelievable.

Bearded but no genius

Grinner said:
Supreme Court Justices decided the outcome a few years back.

Not exactly democratic.
I'm glad we have you here to clear up such issues.

Here I was, a Floridian and an attorney, and I was mistakenly led to believe that the USSC declared that any further RERERERECOUNTS, using DRAMATICALLY DIFFERING STANDARDS than ever used before, and ONLY IN DEMOCRATIC COUNTIES and continually redone AFTER THE LEGAL DEADLINE FOR CERTIFICATION violated due process.

And silly me, I thought that part of the decision was 7-2. The remedy of an immediate cessation of further counts was the only part of the decision that was 5-4. Two members of the court wanted the in-progress rerererecounts to continue.

You see, only when the left is involved can I have a civil rights violation against me remedied by a court, and this means suddenly we live in a Jewish Neo-Con Dictatorship.

No count ever gave Gore a statewide lead. No unofficial count ever did this either.

Florida state law mandates a manual recount, which was held. Counties at their discretion could do one further count before certifying the results. Once the deadline for certification (a month after the election) had passed, Florida had a legal duty to certify the results given after multiple counts continued to verify the same result.

Continued re-re-re-re-counting, using post hoc made-up standards which suddenly differed in each county, and only in Democratic counties, violated due process.

Democracy was preserved, even while your hate-filled friends tried to trample over it and violate the rights of millions of Floridians.

But as long as you have a catchphrase, you'll continue in your assault on truth, democracy, and logic.

Sultan

People are shutting their eyes to the reality of the situation. I would not put it past Kim to use it as a first strike offensive weapon...it's potentially catastrophic for the region and the world - another problem could very well be NK selling secrets to anyone with money - we know it's in serious need of finances.

Sultan

Stuff the Goat said:
:nono: WHAT?????:nono: ......It's bad enough these nutters havin 'em, without other nutters gettin their paws on them too!

Read my post again Goatie...:)

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
nickm said:
No, I am pointing out that a nuclear North Korea is a fcuking massive policy failure for the US, a failure to deliver on a clearly enunciated objective and shows the US has failed in one of its key objectives - stop the proliferation of nukes to hostile powers.
No doubt - but a failing of the policy itself, or its execution? Your view would appear to indicate the latter - and I would agree with that in so far as the US should clearly - by some means - have been aiming to avert this type of situation and ease the atmosphere of brinkmanship developing in North Korea in particular... but where to start? Certainly not by making heavy-handed commitments like those in that speech, and not even by renouncing the regime publicly as part of an axis of evil. All of this was just garnering support for the war in Iraq, and didn't help matters one jot. The only way was clearly through China, and I still think the US has been incredibly poor at fostering relations there. The whole idea that the US could somehow deliver on such a policy objective is kind of silly when you think about it - it's clearly in no position to do so on its own, and can only engage for the long term by diplomacy. Such an objective should have been stated in much softer terms, and perhaps could have been were it not for Iraq. A catalogue of errors, it seems, though it's hard to know whether things would be any better if things had been played differently. Kim is pretty mad.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Stick said:
Fairness and hypocrisy are nothing to do with it. We're not talking about access to AIDS drugs here. It's nuclear weapons - as few countries as possible should be allowed to have them. Especially crackpot countries like North Korea.

Pakistan and Israel were not permitted to develop weapons, as members of some club. They did it secretly. In both cases, the Americans were far from happy about it, the alliance with Israel notwithstanding.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Dictatorial nutters who would rather spend what little cash they had on developing nukes when they can't even feed their people concern me greatly. That sort of fecked up logic doesn't fill me with confidence that NC wonlt use the weapons offensively.

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
The only worrying thing on this forum is that some nutters actually expected Bush to stop them from acquiring wmds :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stamford Bridge

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind's already mad
Plechazunga said:
Fairness and hypocrisy are nothing to do with it. We're not talking about access to AIDS drugs here. It's nuclear weapons - as few countries as possible should be allowed to have them. Especially crackpot countries like North Korea.

Pakistan and Israel were not permitted to develop weapons, as members of some club. They did it secretly. In both cases, the Americans were far from happy about it, the alliance with Israel notwithstanding.
North Korea are even more of a concern than India, Israel or Pakistan. It's almost a given that they will start selling nukes to the highest bidder - after all, they're already selling massive quantities of drugs and weapons to the highest bidder.

And to anyone that claimed US military action in NK would've stopped them from acquiring nukes, you're off your rocker. China would've stepped in - just as they did last time round, leading to World War III.

nickm

Stamford Bridge said:
And to anyone that claimed US military action in NK would've stopped them from acquiring nukes, you're off your rocker. China would've stepped in - just as they did last time round, leading to World War III.
I am not making that claim, but I am making the claim that Iraq has weakened the US's bargaining position by taking the possible use of US force off the table.

Stamford Bridge

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind's already mad
nickm said:
I am not making that claim, but I am making the claim that Iraq has weakened the US's bargaining position by taking the possible use of US force off the table.
US force was never an option in the first place. Kim and co. know that any possible invasion would've been strongly opposed by China and even South Korea (who, crazilly enough, think their Sunshine Policy can one day lead to 're-unification' with the North).

With a 1-million man army and another 1.5 million army next door in the form of their Chinese allies, stopping the North from obtaining nukes via military means was never an option, Iraq or not. And witness how the north threatening the UN against declaring strict sanctions scared the UN shitless? Even now, the "sanctions" the UN are trying to impose are empty threats. Who the feck in North Korea uses luxury items?

If there was any hope in stopping north korea from getting nukes, it was imposing crippling sanctions 10 years ago, or else in an extremely ambitious attempt to assasinate Kim Jr.