Northern Ireland Thread

lsd

The Oracle
Whys it provocative?

Because it is seen by many to be a political symbol

I did find this which would suggest by law you cant wear one at work

Overall, where does employment law stand on wearing a poppy?
Employment law provides protection against discrimination relating to certain characteristics which people may possess. In this situation, it would be religion or belief, such as philosophical belief.

In order to rely on a philosophical belief, case law has provided some guidance on how to assess this, with the following: the belief must be a genuine belief held; it must be a belief and not an opinion or a viewpoint; it must be weighty and substantial aspect of human life and behaviour; and it must attain a certain level of cogency, seriousness, cohesion and importance.

An ex-serviceman in the case of Lisk v Shield Guardian Co Ltd stated that he wore a poppy because it was his belief that “we should pay respects to those who have given their lives for us by wearing a poppy”. In this case, the tribunal formed the view that this belief was too “narrow” so it did not meet the requirement of showing a philosophical belief.

Given that an individual only wears a poppy for a short period, once a year, then it is unlikely to show that it has a ‘weighty and substantial’ aspect on their life and behaviour.

lsd

The Oracle
Im in the NICS and the people doing it are doing it to be provocative and no other reason otherwise i wouldn't care .

I am just curious where the law stands on it however

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Im in the NICS and the people doing it are doing it to be provocative and no other reason otherwise i wouldn't care .

I am just curious where the law stands on it however
They are allowed in the NICS, there is also a minutes silence on the day (some people choose not to participate in it, is that provocative?), how does someone wear it provocatively? Are the people wearing them with a TShirt saying "Hi I am a prod".

lsd

The Oracle
They are allowed in the NICS, there is also a minutes silence on the day (some people choose not to participate in it, is that provocative?), how does someone wear it provocatively? Are the people wearing them with a TShirt saying "Hi I am a prod".

Iv never seen walk about as much as they have today or come over to talk to me as much . Especially as they have complained i got a placement over them because i was Catholic . They may as,well be wearing a t shirt . Yes i know its petty but this is what we do here be petty

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Iv never seen walk about as much as they have today or come over to talk to me as much . Especially as they have complained i got a placement over them because i was Catholic . They may as,well be wearing a t shirt . Yes i know its petty but this is what we do here be petty
I'm in Belfast mostly but do travel all over, I work in guidance. Londonderry/Derry is the most divided town/city I have been in, they could be being cnuts about it but not every one who wears one is. I just were the little pin badge thing.

lsd

The Oracle
I'm in Belfast mostly but do travel all over, I work in guidance. Londonderry/Derry is the most divided town/city I have been in, they could be being cnuts about it but not every one who wears one is. I just were the little pin badge thing.

Im not a derry native so not going to argue that . It is certainly extremely cliquey and divided on those grounds .

As a result things will probably always get a tense when the elements are mixed

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Im not a derry native so not going to argue that . It is certainly extremely cliquey and divided on those grounds .

Where are you from originally? I live in Ballymena and its pretty divided too to be fair.

lsd

The Oracle
Strabane via Philadelphia we moved over when i was 15 so never really got into the whole political thing but somehow you still get drawn in like it or not

Player Red

Wear one yourself one day and melt their minds.

Raulduke

Alliance badly isolating themselves here, it's one thing not standing aside for Hanna it's quite another throwing a hissy fit because others can see the long term value in doing so.

Eire Red United

Alliance badly isolating themselves here, it's one thing not standing aside for Hanna it's quite another throwing a hissy fit because others can see the long term value in doing so.

Alliance would be safer off throwing everything they have into East Belfast. SDLP were second last time in SB and if they get a good chunk of SF and Green votes Hanna should get in comfortably enough.

Art Vandelay

Yeah Derry is like that. I've started jobs and been told straight up that my boss isn't going to like me because I'm from the cityside. You get a lot of people looking to be offended by it all, but if you just ignore it you usually get left out of it eventually.

I've seen the poppy thing too, they are usually looking for a reaction so best just ignored and left to get on with their shit. It's weird, I've worked with people that were absolutely grand the rest of the year not an issue until marching or the poppy or something similar comes up and they just turn into a prick until it's over and then they go back to normal like it never happened. I've seen it from both sides.

Eire Red United

UDA must have told Hermon not to stand.... any chance an Alliance MP could get the numbers if SF, SDLP and Greens stepped aside?

Raulduke

Well maybe this explains Alliance being so reticent to get involved in the pro-remain pacts. Not appearing to be getting too close with Sinn Fein and the SDLP could help them in North Down.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
UDA must have told Hermon not to stand.... any chance an Alliance MP could get the numbers if SF, SDLP and Greens stepped aside?
No its was actually for totally non political reasons, shes nearly 65 and being an independent isn't easy, especially as she is the only remain MP that takes her seat in London.

Raulduke

Now greens confirm they too will not stand in North Belfast but no mention of North Down as of yet.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Now greens confirm they too will not stand in North Belfast but no mention of North Down as of yet.
Its a fecking joke, having an election for an assembly that isn't functioning and then half of them don't even take their seat in London. Yet we do nothing, if we had any sense none of us should vote at all in protest. They are even making the vote simply orange or green, they will cover it up as leave or remain, should be ashamed.

Raulduke

Its a fecking joke, having an election for an assembly that isn't functioning and then half of them don't even take their seat in London. Yet we do nothing, if we had any sense none of us should vote at all in protest. They are even making the vote simply orange or green, they will cover it up as leave or remain, should be ashamed.
Sinn Fein and the SDLP were standing aside in North Down to help a sitting Unionist MP and similarly in East Belfast to help Naomi Long. How exactly is that making the vote orange or green? They're also running against each other in Foyle and Fermanagh & South Tyrone in what are fairly competitive constituencies too.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Sinn Fein and the SDLP were standing aside in North Down to help a sitting Unionist MP and similarly in East Belfast to help Naomi Long. How exactly is that making the vote orange or green? They're also running against each other in Foyle and Fermanagh & South Tyrone in what are fairly competitive constituencies too.
Were they not standing to help Sylvia Hermon, a remainer, before she decided to retire?

I'm just sick of them all to be honest so probably over reacting, when I say its orange or green I mean its pacts between what are usually seen as Unionist and Nationalist parties. What is the date for the final list of candidates standing, I can see the UUP dropping out of one or 2 more constituencies?

Raulduke

Were they not standing to help Sylvia Hermon, a remainer, before she decided to retire?

I'm just sick of them all to be honest so probably over reacting.
Yes, Sylvia Hermon is a remain supporting MP but she's also an independent Unionist MP. The significance of Sinn Fein in particular supporting any Unionist in an election is not something I can understand being squared with the idea these pacts are simply Orange and Green.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Yes, Sylvia Hermon is a remain supporting MP but she's also an independent Unionist MP. The significance of Sinn Fein in particular supporting any Unionist in an election is not something I can understand being squared with the idea these pacts are simply Orange and Green.
Sinn Fein had actually praised Sylvia Hermon on a few occasions earlier in the year, I amended my thread, what I meant was that nearly all of the pacts are between parties from each side. There is talk of Mike Nesbitt now running in North Down to try and suck up some of the votes that will be free there, it will be close.

Raulduke

Sinn Fein had actually praised Sylvia Hermon on a few occasions earlier in the year, I amended my thread, what I meant was that nearly all of the pacts are between parties from each side. There is talk of Mike Nesbitt now running in North Down to try and suck up some of the votes that will be free there, it will be close.
Mike Nesbitt might be a good shout but only if Alliance stood aside which they don't seem willing to do. He seems fairly decent and talks a lot of sense when interviewed (probably due to his previous career). Felt the UUP shot themselves in the foot not standing behind him when he was reaching across the community to the SDLP when he was leader. An opportunity missed unfortunately.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Mike Nesbitt might be a good shout but only if Alliance stood aside which they don't seem willing to do. He seems fairly decent and talks a lot of sense when interviewed (probably due to his previous career). Felt the UUP shot themselves in the foot not standing behind him when he was reaching across the community to the SDLP when he was leader. An opportunity missed unfortunately.
Agreed, I don't know why they didn't take to him either in an assembly that's lacks forward thinkers he would have been useful. He has health problems I think, don't know how serious.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
So guys NEWSFLASH

I've stepped away from behind the keyboard and started canvassing for Claire Hanna tonight.

If could well have been for Paula Bradshaw either but I felt Claire Hanna has been stronger regards remains.

Knock over 50 doors In a mixed unionist area leaning towards Alliance. Over 60% were not opened and id say of the doors opened 80% were voting SDLP with many voting Alliance last time out. No DUP people and 3 SF who will vote SDLP.

GREEN party houses were exvellent. Husband and wife both cane to doors. Out of 3 completely green houses - men were all for Claire Hanna and while the women wanted more time to learn about Claire's Green issues.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
So guys NEWSFLASH

I've stepped away from behind the keyboard and started canvassing for Claire Hanna tonight.

If could well have been for Paula Bradshaw either but I felt Claire Hanna has been stronger regards remains.

Knock over 50 doors In a mixed unionist area leaning towards Alliance. Over 60% were not opened and id say of the doors opened 80% were voting SDLP with many voting Alliance last time out. No DUP people and 3 SF who will vote SDLP.

GREEN party houses were exvellent. Husband and wife both cane to doors. Out of 3 completely green houses - men were all for Claire Hanna and while the women wanted more time to learn about Claire's Green issues.
Where abouts are you?

arnie_ni

North and East Antrim.

Seen it on but seriously I don't have the energy to listen to many more of it, anything insightful?
I didnt see it, i was going to ask the same question. Its from the police force's pov so it would be different than the others which seem to mainly be from nationalists or unionists pova

Rooney24

So:

DUP down 2 seats to 8
SF hold steady on 7
SDLP pick up 2
Alliance pick up 1.

Additionally the DUP vote was down in every constituency they managed to hold onto.

I guess the focus will now shift to getting Stormont back up and running.

Last edited:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
A Nationalist majority, for the first time I’ve heard?