Northern Ireland Thread

Scrumpet

There are no words
Alliance and SDLP need to step aside now. Leave it a straight shoot out between leave and remain. Imagine knocking Dodds out of his seat.
What does a Sinn Fein victory do for Remain? In an odd way it makes leave more likely than a DUP win. Would make Boris Johnson's life easier.

acnumber9

What does a Sinn Fein victory do for Remain? In an odd way it makes leave more likely than a DUP win. Would make Boris Johnson's life easier.
He doesn’t really care. He just wants more seats for his boys.

arnie_ni

This is something I don't quite understand and hopefully i can ask this without it getting heated...

Why do people vote SF ahead of SDLP or alliance who both would take their seat in Westminster and actually have a voice for the people that vote for them?

lsd

The Oracle
This is something I don't quite understand and hopefully i can ask this without it getting heated...

Why do people vote SF ahead of SDLP or alliance who both would take their seat in Westminster and actually have a voice for the people that vote for them?

They don't want a voice in Westminster

cyberman

Oh i know why SF don't do it. I understand their pov, i was just wondering why the voters dont want to vote for a party that will take seats. But lsd said thats exactly what their voters want.. still doesnt make sense to me however
Because every other party doesnt stand a chance while this is the second time NI have been able to say we have a voice too.
Instead of having people pretend DUP were the be all and end all of Brexit

Rooney24

Oh i know why SF don't do it. I understand their pov, i was just wondering why the voters dont want to vote for a party that will take seats. But lsd said thats exactly what their voters want.. still doesnt make sense to me however
People know what they are voting for when they vote for them. That is that they understand precisely that they will not take their seats. It is their Mandate and people understand that. I know it seems weird but thats how it is. They would lose a lot of votes if they stood on an abstentionist Westminister Policy and then turned round and changed their minds and took their seats.

Raulduke

Hopefully this should be the end of Pengelly in South Belfast and not before time. One of the most progressive constituencies in the north represented by one of the most regressive parties and all down to the nonsense of FPTP.

Last edited:

Eire Red United

Hopefully this should be the end of Pengelly in South Belfast and not before time. One of the most progressive constituencies in the north represented by one of the most regressive parties and all down to the nonsense of FPTP.
Brilliant stuff. Need Alliance now join in and hopefully get 4 remain candidates in Belfast. Would be some achievement.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Alliance could feck that one up.
There needs to be somebody there as an alternative for DUP for unionists to vote for to give them a slap in the bake. Alliance may be that option since the UUP have bottled it. As an aside John Finucane has been a pretty disappointing candidate for Sinn Fein so far and is not guaranteed to get the sort of support required to oust Dodds anyway.

Nothing would make me happier than seeing the DUP get obliterated by the way.

Rooney24

There needs to be somebody there as an alternative for DUP for unionists to vote for to give them a slap in the bake. Alliance may be that option since the UUP have bottled it. As an aside John Finucane has been a pretty disappointing candidate for Sinn Fein so far and is not guaranteed to get the sort of support required to oust Dodds anyway.

Nothing would make me happier than seeing the DUP get obliterated by the way.
Based on what? He got 41.7% of the vote last time against Dodds 46.2% , losing by just over 2,000 votes. The SDLP picked up just over 2,000 votes in North Belfast in 2017. Theres every chance Finucane can win this.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Based on what? He got 41.7% of the vote last time against Dodds 46.2% , losing by just over 2,000 votes. The SDLP picked up just over 2,000 votes in North Belfast in 2017. Theres every chance Finucane can win this.
He might win for sure but he hasn't really set the world alight in the way I think Sinn Fein expected.

Raulduke

Alliance could feck that one up.
Alliance are playing a fairly risky game. It's unlikely that they'll stand aside in either north or south Belfast and are at risk of being seen as the party who let Dodds and Pengelly back in. I think the whole Alliance Surge stuff is going to their heads a little. Their recent good performances come in no small part from their transferability in PR votes which won't come in to play in a general election, sure they might still increase their votes totals but if it's at the expense of gifting a seat back to the DUP while still losing out in East belfast then it could hurt them long term.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
A Lucid Talk poll (Sunday Times etc) if borne out, points to a potentially disastrous GE for the DUP. 72 percent of those polled would favour remain over a no deal Brexit. Of the DUP support over 20 percent favour remain. Consequently the pro-remain parties who can reach across the identity divide stand to make gains. A lot of the seats will be close run. But a pro-Brexit stance post DUP being shafted by Boris, and with people concerned for jobs and businesses may come at a price.

Last edited:

Grib

Anyone know is there a source floating about anywhere of who we can actually vote for yet given all these 'pacts if that's what you want to call them'

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Off topic, but I watched the Derry Girls (I know, I know...) and got curious about the whole Free Derry thing, any good documentaries about it?

stevoc

Off topic, but I watched the Derry Girls (I know, I know...) and got curious about the whole Free Derry thing, any good documentaries about it?
I haven't watched all of this Documentary but it should give you an idea.

Raulduke

With Bradshaw in knots over an ILA on the view last night and now Greens standing aside in South Belfast to endorse Hanna, Alliance should be thinking long and hard about pulling out too.

Edit:

Also..

Last edited:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Well there we have it, loyalist paramilitaries have chosen who is allowed to run in an election.

In other news Nationalist paramilitaries actually run for seats in a general election. Politics here is fecked, need to seriously look at a UI or go back to direct rule needs sorted cause really I cant be arsed anymore, we are nothing more than a bigoted backwater.

Raulduke

In other news Nationalist paramilitaries actually run for seats in a general election. Politics here is fecked, need to seriously look at a UI or go back to direct rule needs sorted cause really I cant be arsed anymore, we are nothing more than a bigoted backwater.
Out of interest which nationalist paramilitaries are running?

Raulduke

I was talking more historically.
Ah right, fair enough. Think it's actually a positive sign for the future that the likes of Sinn Fein have made an effort to move away from running former paramilitaries as candidates, obviously there's still Martina Anderson as an MEP but running John Finucane in North Belfast rather than Gerry Kelly should show them that there is potential electoral gain in doing so.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Does Gerry Kelly not run anymore?
I was actually just looking him up, I don't think so.

Ah right, fair enough. Think it's actually a positive sign for the future that the likes of Sinn Fein have made an effort to move away from running former paramilitaries as candidates, obviously there's still Martina Anderson as an MEP but running John Finucane in North Belfast rather than Gerry Kelly should show them that there is potential electoral gain in doing so.
Yeah Anderson, the lovely woman, is still an MEP but I think most of the old guard have taken a back seat.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
What's going on with the Quinn group? Is it all to do with a group of older Quinn workers wanting Mr Quinn back in control, or does Quinn owe money from when he went under?. What the guy that got abducted went through a few weeks ago was horrific, he was abducted then they told him to resign rom the company. The men thought he might have there DNA on him so they scraped below his fingernails with a stanley knife, cut off his clothes cutting him in the process then they soaked him in bleach and scrubbed him all over. Cut QHG into his chest and broke his leg... WTF?

Player Red

What's going on with the Quinn group? Is it all to do with a group of older Quinn workers wanting Mr Quinn back in control, or does Quinn owe money from when he went under?. What the guy that got abducted went through a few weeks ago was horrific, he was abducted then they told him to resign rom the company. The men thought he might have there DNA on him so they scraped below his fingernails with a stanley knife, cut off his clothes cutting him in the process then they soaked him in bleach and scrubbed him all over. Cut QHG into his chest and broke his leg... WTF?
I would say it is likely that Sean Quinn was previously being extorted/paying off/funding criminal elements who are annoyed that they no longer have that cash flow. The intimidation has being going on for years.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I would say it is likely that Sean Quinn was previously being extorted/paying off/funding criminal elements who are annoyed that they no longer have that cash flow. The intimidation has being going on for years.
But its not hurting Quinn and its not getting them any money?

lsd

The Oracle
Is there a rule about wearing poppies in Northern Ireland ?

Iv moved to a new office in Derry this year and there are a few people wearing them and walkiing around in them in the workplace .

I just find that a bit provocative in a mixed office here .

Iv never really noticed this before having mostly worked in offices predominatly catholic where no one was ever wearing one.

Last year i was in England working during this week when pretty much everyone was obviously wearing one

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Iv moved to a new office in Derry this year and there are a few people wearing them and walkiing around in them in the workplace .

Iv never really noticed this before having mostly worked in offices predominatly catholic where no one was ever wearing one.

Last year i was in England working during this week when pretty much everyone was obviously wearing one
People who wana make deal out of will make a big deal of it, I wear one for absolutely non political reasons, its my own choice. Are you in the NICS or a private company?

arnie_ni

Whys it provocative?