LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
So:

DUP down 2 seats to 8
SF hold steady on 7
SDLP pick up 2
Alliance pick up 1.

Additionally the DUP vote was down in every constituency they managed to hold onto.

I guess the focus will now shift to getting Stormont back up and running.
Need a total clear out and move more to the middle, so many dislikable MPs, too much scandal, backing Boris and getting shafted. I’m a Unionist and even I voted Alliance.

Sinn Fein while holding probably expected to do better than hey did. People want Stormount back and it will be back or I think an election here will return even worse results for the DUP and SF in a January election.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
A Nationalist majority, for the first time I’ve heard?
Not surprising, the only party supporting Brexit was the DUP, everyone else was remain and played the tactical card when choosing which constituencies to stand in.

Boris’ current deal will be a disaster for local business here who rely heavily for trade especially for incoming trade.

cyberman

Not surprising, the only party supporting Brexit was the DUP, everyone else was remain and played the tactical card when choosing which constituencies to stand in.

Boris’ current deal will be a disaster for local business here who rely heavily for trade especially for incoming trade.
Every deal shafted NI business. They just need to use the easy access to EU and take advantage of it.
NI trade was fecked the moment Brexit passed

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Every deal shafted NI business. They just need to use the easy access to EU and take advantage of it.
NI trade was fecked the moment Brexit passed
Yeah I agree we must source our imports now from within the EU, and probably exporting to the EU would be much less bother than the paper work across the Irish Sea.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Need a total clear out and move more to the middle, so many dislikable MPs, too much scandal, backing Boris and getting shafted. I’m a Unionist and even I voted Alliance.

Sinn Fein while holding probably expected to do better than hey did. People want Stormount back and it will be back or I think an election here will return even worse results for the DUP and SF in a January election.
SF did exactly what they thought. They knew Eastwood was strong in Foyle and the picked up Fermanagh and South Tyrone. Was a good night for them.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

Demographics too dont forget.

Eire Red United

So:

DUP down 2 seats to 8
SF hold steady on 7
SDLP pick up 2
Alliance pick up 1.

Additionally the DUP vote was down in every constituency they managed to hold onto.

I guess the focus will now shift to getting Stormont back up and running.
Decent enough result. Absolutely massive us gaining NB from Dodds. Couldn’t believe Alliance won North Down either which is a brilliant result. First time ever Nationalist MP’s outnumber Unionists. It’s becoming more and more clear now that a new, United Ireland is the only way forward. Along with the results in Scotland the UK is clearly on borrowed time. The Alliance Party are growing massively and are taking votes from all 4 other major parties. Their voters will hold the key to a UI and need to be shown the economic benefits of it, inside the EU.

All the traditional reasons in favour of the Union i.e. NHS and education are sadly going to be shafted now with Johnson in complete control.

Eire Red United

Wait and see the Doopers shite themselves now and try to get Stormont back up and running. They’re now completely irrelevant in Westminster again. Not sure how any self respecting Unionist actually voted for them this time though seeing as how their cosying up to the Tories effectively put a border in the Irish Sea:lol:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

Time to re-partition?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Wait and see the Doopers shite themselves now and try to get Stormont back up and running. They’re now completely irrelevant in Westminster again. Not sure how any self respecting Unionist actually voted for them this time though seeing as how their cosying up to the Tories effectively put a border in the Irish Sea:lol:
Honestly? As a Unionist sheer ignorance, the DUP has basically handed SF a border poll. They have been inept since Arlene took over.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
What's the feeling in the unionist community, if you have an idea, about the possibility of a re-united Ireland?
Same question, but for the nationalists in this thread.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Repartition NI? Jesus I couldn’t see a bigger mess. Need to really sit down and flog our a pathway to a UI, what it would look like and put it to the people. It cannot go to the people without a working group paper.
I wasn’t serious, although I do sometimes wonder if history might have played out very differently if the likes of south Armagh, south Down and south Fermanagh had gone to the Free State in the original partition.

Looking forward to the inevitable debates over the next few years.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
NI looking like a much more progressive country than it was yesterday. Absolutely delighted with the results - here's hoping the moderates gain further support in future elections. feck the DUP and feck Sinn Fein.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
NI looking like a much more progressive country than it was yesterday. Absolutely delighted with the results - here's hoping the moderates gain further support in future elections. feck the DUP and feck Sinn Fein.
Unfortunately DUP and SF are needed for further progress. They still are the main parties at Stormount.

Raulduke

The election and the nurses strike seems to have focused the minds of the DUP and the shinners. They would both be terrified of an assembly election any time soon too.

Edit:

Or maybe not...

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Radio Ulster's Stephen Clements is dead, just announced it, only 47 too always thought he was younger. Really liked his show on RU after Nolan.

poleglass red

Radio Ulster's Stephen Clements is dead, just announced it, only 47 too always thought he was younger. Really liked his show on RU after Nolan.
seen that, does anyone know how he died. Always seemed the type that looked after himself, very sad, much too young to pass away

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Very sad news indeed, I'd started listening to his RU show and quite liked it. Seemed like a nice guy - far too young.

Raulduke

Lots of chatter that a deal to restore the executive is imminent.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Lots of chatter that a deal to restore the executive is imminent.

Disgraceful that these charlatans, DUP and SF, manage to sort this out just to save there own skin. Next time it falls on its arse they should be allowed 2 weeks to sort it out or there will be an election

Raulduke

Disgraceful that these charlatans, DUP and SF, manage to sort this out just to save there own skin. Next time it falls on its arse they should be allowed 2 weeks to sort it out or there will be an election
Seems the DUP and Sinn Fein are shutting out the other parties in this stage of negotiations too which would suggest to me that a deal really is close as they will want to own the "win" of getting it up and running again. Just shows how terrified they are of another election.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Seems the DUP and Sinn Fein are shutting out the other parties in this stage of negotiations too which would suggest to me that a deal really is close as they will want to own the "win" of getting it up and running again. Just shows how terrified they are of another election.

Totally agree.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Looks like the SOS (and rightly so) has said get your act together of suffer more losses at an election. Looks like SF didn't get their language act more and amendment to the GFA act, and the DUP got the Ulster - Scot "language" in it too :rolleyes: . Nice to see them concentrating on the big issues, fecking charlatans.

Rooney24

Looks like the SOS (and rightly so) has said get your act together of suffer more losses at an election. Looks like SF didn't get their language act more and amendment to the GFA act, and the DUP got the Ulster - Scot "language" in it too :rolleyes: . Nice to see them concentrating on the big issues, fecking charlatans.
There is Legislation in the deal for an ILA is there not? Ist just bolted on with the same for Ulster-Scots is how I read it. Im pretty sure SF dont give a feck about that.

Happy to be corrected though, I always have to read these things 4 or 5 times before it sinks in.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Just shows what bollocks there has been over the last 3 years - they have been dancing around this deal the entire time and only through the ballsy move of the two Governments basically forcing their hand will an agreement be made. This should have happened a long time ago when it was clear the main parties were just going round and round in circles. Our last Secretary of State has a lot to answer for also for being so inept and inactive.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
There is Legislation in the deal for an ILA is there not? Ist just bolted on with the same for Ulster-Scots is how I read it. Im pretty sure SF dont give a feck about that.

Happy to be corrected though, I always have to read these things 4 or 5 times before it sinks in.
I think SF were going for a standalone piece of legislation rather than a bolt on, probably not much of a difference but doesn't sound as good to the voting public. Ulster-Scots isn't even a fecking language its more of a dialect with different words even meaning different things depending where you come from.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Just shows what bollocks there has been over the last 3 years - they have been dancing around this deal the entire time and only through the ballsy move of the two Governments basically forcing their hand will an agreement be made. This should have happened a long time ago when it was clear the main parties were just going round and round in circles. Our last Secretary of State has a lot to answer for also for being so inept and inactive.
Totally agree Julian Smith has a good set of Cahoonas, 3 years was just taking the piss on full pay.

Rooney24

I think SF were going for a standalone piece of legislation rather than a bolt on, probably not much of a difference but doesn't sound as good to the voting public. Ulster-Scots isn't even a fecking language its more of a dialect with different words even meaning different things depending where you come from.
Yeah I know but at the end of the day, stand alone or not they have got what they wanted.

One thing that is swirling about this morning is that there needs to be some Agreement to the ILA it seems and it needs approval by the First Minister and the Deputy FM jointly. I think the part of the text is this:

5.12. Best practice standards recommended by the Commissioner, and all subsequent changes to those standards, are to be put for approval to the First Minister and deputy First Minister.
So for me the Commisonner recommends XYZ regarding the Irish Language, and brings it to the FM and DFM for their approval, and only then it passes.

Isnt this in effect a Veto? What if they dont agree, surely its just deadlock again?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah I know but at the end of the day, stand alone or not they have got what they wanted.

One thing that is swirling about this morning is that there needs to be some Agreement to the ILA it seems and it needs approval by the First Minister and the Deputy FM jointly. I think the part of the text is this:

So for me the Commisonner recommends XYZ regarding the Irish Language, and brings it to the FM and DFM for their approval, and only then it passes.

Isnt this in effect a Veto? What if they dont agree, surely its just deadlock again?
Yeah we love a veto, that's probably what has errked SF,. I have no problem with an Irish language act and promoting the culture but the fear is SF will demand ALL government documentation and possible road signs to be available and displayed in Irish which IMO is just a waste of time and money at this point in time. Stormount will always be in deadlock while the DUP and SF hold the majority so it makes little difference, its time for the people to actively protest on the scale that actually makes a difference to make these clowns do the job they are paid to do.

Rooney24

Yeah we love a veto, that's probably what has errked SF,. I have no problem with an Irish language act and promoting the culture but the fear is SF will demand ALL government documentation and possible road signs to be available and displayed in Irish which IMO is just a waste of time and money at this point in time. Stormount will always be in deadlock while the DUP and SF hold the majority so it makes little difference, its time for the people to actively protest on the scale that actually makes a difference to make these clowns do the job they are paid to do.
Like you I dont really care about the ILA or Ulster Scots. It wont make much difference to the ordinary person on the street.

That said what irritates me is that it was provided for in the St Andrews Agreement and whether people like it or not it should have been implemented long before now.

And this Veto is just the road to ruin again. They really need to stop creating These situations that just cause further trouble down the line.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Like you I dont really care about the ILA or Ulster Scots. It wont make much difference to the ordinary person on the street.

That said what irritates me is that it was provided for in the St Andrews Agreement and whether people like it or not it should have been implemented long before now.

And this Veto is just the road to ruin again. They really need to stop creating These situations that just cause further trouble down the line.
It depends how you look at it I guess, SF want a UI and will do anything to stop NI working or at least grinding it to a stand still the feck wittery they could pull with an ILA, in theory, could do that. Since no one has seen or heard what SF actually want n this Act though its hard to know.

Also it boils down to a simple childish row between the SF and DUP of you want this really badly and I'm not going to give you it. I have said it before its time to consider a UI and get people working on it from all sides, show us what the plan is and what the final out come is or consider returning to DR. The hill has let out public services down, particularly health and education and over the last 3 years have served no coherent purpose what's so ever.