Northern Ireland Thread

poleglass red

Some Ulster Scots lessons, might come in handy if you ever find yourself in Ballymoney. This dialect cracks me up.
What is the matter? Are you lost? - Whit's wrang wie ye? Ir ye loast?
Do you seek a hotel or simply somewhere to lay your head down? - Ir ye lukkin somewhir swanky ir jest a plaice tae pit yer heid doon?
That is a quite reasonable place over there. - Thons naw a bad plaice ower thonner
You mean you are sleeping in a tent/outdoors? Are you sane? - Ye mean ye'r lyin oot aa nicht? Is yer heid cut?
what school you got to - Whit schuil did ye go tae?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Some Ulster Scots lessons, might come in handy if you ever find yourself in Ballymoney. This dialect cracks me up.
What is the matter? Are you lost? - Whit's wrang wie ye? Ir ye loast?
Do you seek a hotel or simply somewhere to lay your head down? - Ir ye lukkin somewhir swanky ir jest a plaice tae pit yer heid doon?
That is a quite reasonable place over there. - Thons naw a bad plaice ower thonner
You mean you are sleeping in a tent/outdoors? Are you sane? - Ye mean ye'r lyin oot aa nicht? Is yer heid cut?
what school you got to - Whit schuil did ye go tae?
Oi, nothing wrong with Mid Ulster, you towny chipeater with your "Heres me wha", and your "So it is", and your "So I says to her/him" and your "My da will knack your bollox in". Also what does scunnered mean to you?

Rooney24

Oi, nothing wrong with Mid Ulster, you towny chipeater with your "Heres me wha", and your "So it is", and your "So I says to her/him" and your "My da will knack your bollox in". Also what does scunnered mean to you?
Embarrassed.

poleglass red

haha I don't think most of the kids round my way have da's. More a case of "my ma's boyfriend will knock yer ballix in"

poleglass red

it's scundered, and as other poster says it means embarrassed. Scunnered is a different word and yes it does mean pissed of.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
haha can be an accent thing too. somebody probably heard scunnered one time and seen person was embarrassed or pissed of and give a it a belfast twang.
My missus is from Dungiven and she would say scunnered but myself from Carrick says scundered. Quite similar although scunnered is more pissed off rather than scundered which is more about being embarrassed.

Scundered for anybody who didnt know that!

Eire Red United

SF really shouldn’t be signing up to this deal, no standalone ILA and that witch Foster still in charge even though it was her actions that led to McGuinness pulling the plug 3 years ago.

Although if SF were seen to be holding up the deal they would get crucified at the polls. Impossible to win when you are up against such a gang of corrupt bigots as the DUP. At least the feckers can all get back to work now.

poleglass red

My missus is from Dungiven and she would say scunnered but myself from Carrick says scundered. Quite similar although scunnered is more pissed off rather than scundered which is more about being embarrassed.

Scundered for anybody who didnt know that!
gotta love the north, the inclusion of the letter D and words totally change meaning. That's why our politicians can't agree with each other , cluchies don't understand what the city ones are saying and vice versa:yawn:

Art Vandelay

:lol: Hoppy dayaz mate. Who's that gurl over dur, wey the lovely big pur sittin on that chur by the sturs?*

The Belfast accent is a truly bizarre thing. I've heard both scunnered and scundered and I've heard it used in various different ways.

*I actually had to change some of that because the way Belfast people say "that" seems to be banned on here.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Looks like pay parity for NHS workers here may be agreed - here's hoping it goes through and the strikes are called off.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Looks like pay parity for NHS workers here may be agreed - here's hoping it goes through and the strikes are called off.
Yeah the money has been taken from next years budget or something, I give this till spring at best.

I now live between Ballymena and Larne and the accent here is shocking!
Yeah the Ballymena accent is pretty different but Larne's is something else, your not from Moorfeilds are you, or are you closer to Larne?

NotworkSte

it's scundered, and as other poster says it means embarrassed. Scunnered is a different word and yes it does mean pissed of.
Scunnered was very common in Ballymena when I was growing up. My dad was from Ahoghill. Try getting my American wife to say that...
My mum was from Portadown and didnt like the "Ballymena talk" I remember bringing a Dutch girlfriend home once and asking her "what ye hayin" at a cafe and the look my mum gave me was nothing normal.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Scunnered was very common in Ballymena when I was growing up. My dad was from Ahoghill. Try getting my American wife to say that...
My mum was from Portadown and didnt like the "Ballymena talk" I remember bringing a Dutch girlfriend home once and asking her "what ye hayin" at a cafe and the look my mum gave me was nothing normal.
Oh aye, Portadown is a haven of intellect, I'm from Broughshane so need to represent.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah the money has been taken from next years budget or something, I give this till spring at best.

Yeah the Ballymena accent is pretty different but Larne's is something else, your not from Moorfeilds are you, or are you closer to Larne?
I live just past Moorfields (about 3 miles past it) on out towards Larne. In 'the sticks'.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I live just past Moorfields (about 3 miles past it) on out towards Larne. In 'the sticks'.
You are about 20 mins from me, my familys "home" is in "Rathkeel" still most of them there. I'm down in Broughshane, small world is Northern Ireland :D. I take the Colin Rd in the summer for work in Belfast.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Oh aye, Portadown is a haven of intellect, I'm from Broughshane so need to represent.
Sure you're only down the road from me then! Glad to know a fellow Spurs sufferer is nearby. Some nights I'd thought I could hear the cries of a disappointed Spurs fan on the wind... perhaps I was right.

NotworkSte

The DR to Galgorm? Those 5 and 10 deals must really add up!
3 gas lighter for a pound up in nutts corner.
DR was more a family thing, lot of my family lived there, had many cousins. But it was time to go. Galgorm was a pleasant culture shock. Used to live in Dunclug Gardens when I was really young till we were told to go because we weren't catholic.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
3 gas lighter for a pound up in nutts corner.
DR was more a family thing, lot of my family lived there, had many cousins. But it was time to go. Galgorm was a pleasant culture shock. Used to live in Dunclug Gardens when I was really young till we were told to go because we weren't catholic.
That was nice of them but the same shite goes on still, the wife's family is from the Old Galgorm Road and yeah its nice so is, Gracehill we were looking out there at a time. How the hell you end up in Tampa?

NotworkSte

That was nice of them but the same shite goes on still, the wife's family is from the Old Galgorm Road and yeah its nice so is, Gracehill we were looking out there at a time. How the hell you end up in Tampa?
Long story. Moved to Dundee for University like half the province. Stayed working in Scotland and ended up working for a US company HQ'd in Tampa. I met and married a girl who worked in the HQ office. Was a toss up whether she moved to Scotland or I came here, she had daughter (I consider her my daughter too) so was easier for me to move.

We actually did our wedding in Ballymena though, at the rown registry office and had the reception in Galgorm golf club. My brother lives in Manchester so that's where we'll go if we move back though. Wife doesnt care too much for NI, but I still miss it. Not in a homesick way, but it's home, you know. She did like eating at the Grouse though. And I took her to Glenariff forest and ate at the restaurant. Beautiful countryside.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Long story. Moved to Dundee for University like half the province. Stayed working in Scotland and ended up working for a US company HQ'd in Tampa. I met and married a girl who worked in the HQ office. Was a toss up whether she moved to Scotland or I came here, she had daughter (I consider her my daughter too) so was easier for me to move.

We actually did our wedding in Ballymena though, at the rown registry office and had the reception in Galgorm golf club. My brother lives in Manchester so that's where we'll go if we move back though. Wife doesnt care too much for NI, but I still miss it. Not in a homesick way, but it's home, you know. She did like eating at the Grouse though. And I took her to Glenariff forest and ate at the restaurant. Beautiful countryside.
Nice, yeah I can totally see why people are put off by NI but I its always home and tbh couldn't see myself anywhere else, funny how life can take you to the other side of the world. Yeah the glens and all the way along that Coast from Waterfoot to Portstewart is hard to beat.

poleglass red

watching that Liverpool game I was both a bit scundered and scunnered. Utd games bring everyone together no matter how we speak :yawn:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It's while bad craic hi sir.
Incredibly proud of the great use of Ulster-Scots in this thread. It's reassuring to know that all the money pumped into it has not been a waste of time and just an excuse for one side to get money for 'culture' to piss off 'themuns' because it needs to be fair, etc.

Art Vandelay

Incredibly proud of the great use of Ulster-Scots in this thread. It's reassuring to know that all the money pumped into it has not been a waste of time and just an excuse for one side to get money for 'culture' to piss off 'themuns' because it needs to be fair, etc.
It's outrageous that you could even suggest it might be used for point scoring. How very cynical of you.