Not replacing Lukaku and Sanchez

Infra-red

Why on earth would we need to replace Sanchez? What contribution was he making that, in his absence, will now be missed?

That twat has to be the biggest waste of space ever to pull on a United shirt. A traffic cone would be a more than adequate replacement for him.

fps

Clearing space on the basis of getting top 4 and then going after Maddison and Sancho. Looks good to me. As long as we get top 4!!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Think Greenwood could do something off the bench but I don't think we would have the option of both Mata and Lingard off the bench. I think one of them 2 will definitely be starting.
If you'd signed another CM you could've played them, McTominey and Pogba and had a front three of James, Martial and Rashford when everyone is fit.

Never seen such a light Man. United squad, well short in CM and in final third.

manunited1919

Basically we need Rashford, Martial and James to bring in at least 5-10 extra goals each. Lingard will drastically need to up his goal tally and the likes of Greenwood and Pereira could chip in with 3-5 goals each. It's not impossible but it wouldn't be surprising if they failed to reach those targets.
If we play Lingard regularly, not only does he not drastically up his own goal talky, but he also lowers others goal tallies because the team creates less chances and scores less with him.

Eric's Seagull

If you'd signed another CM you could've played them, McTominey and Pogba and had a front three of James, Martial and Rashford when everyone is fit.

Never seen such a light Man. United squad, well short in CM and in final third.
It hurts me to say this but you are right. Think we are very short in midfield :annoyed:

fps

To be fair though mate,

Martial
Rashford - Lingard - James​

Is still beyond piss poor for a club the size of United
It certainly is. But you could see, in an ideal world where United get Top 4 this year, this becoming

--------------Martial------
Rashford - Maddison - Sancho

next summer. And that would be sick. The others then are squad players.

Eric's Seagull

It certainly is. But you could see, in an ideal world where United get Top 4 this year, this becoming

--------------Martial------
Rashford - Maddison - Sancho

next summer. And that would be sick. The others then are squad players.
That would be nice but depending on how they Sancho and Maddison play next season and possibly at the Euros I think we are talking at at roughly £230m in fees there.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Why on earth would we need to replace Sanchez? What contribution was he making that, in his absence, will now be missed?

That twat has to be the biggest waste of space ever to pull on a United shirt. A traffic cone would be a more than adequate replacement for him.
Ah but can a traffic cone play the piano?

I don't think so.

The traffic cone would obviously be to replace Lukaku and improve on the first touch.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We will almost surely regret not having picked up an oldie like Llorente or Mandzukic, especially if Martial and Rashford intermittently miss games. We should take Zlatan up on his offer.

SweetRightFoot

Relax, this gives the likes of Greenwood and Gomes more minutes and, besides, Ibra will be back after Christmas :devil::devil::devil:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Ofcourse, terrible transfer strategy

arnie_ni

We won't miss either of them but knowing this place they'll be a few people proclaiming they could have scored 30+ goals between them both.

Some are still talking about Hererra as if we've let Beckham, Scholes and Keane go at the same time so nothing surprises me.
We're already missing Herrera ffs

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Only player we will miss is Herrera. Lukaku was the worst striker I’ve seen at the club and I think people are going to be hugely surprised by the performances of Rashford, Martial and Greenwood. Greenwood is a top draw talent and despite the narrative after the Palace game being that he’s not ready, I think he’s proved he’s more than ready and will score plenty of goals. He just needs to bang in a couple to get the confidence going.
This. Look on the positive side, we’ve fecked off a lot of deadwood and Ole is giving the kids the chance everyone has spent ages saying they deserve. It’s a ballsy as feck move by Ole, but it’s one most of us wanted. Let’s see what happens.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Martial
Rashford Lingard James

Greenwood
Chong Gomes Mata
Pereira as a floater squad option between midfield and 3 behind striker. It's not that bad. Sanchez in there would be pointless, I'd rather play all 9 of them over Sanchez tbh. Lukaku would've helped as a backup striker to have Greenwood the backup winger, but essentially whenever a striker gets injured, Martial or Rashford move from LW to striker and then one of the backup 11 attackers come in as the wingers or #10 depending on how its shuffled. They'll all get a good amount of game time to show what they can do. Chong is 19 turning 20 in December by the end of the year, Gomes is 18 turning 19 in a couple of days, Greenwood is 17 turning 18 in a couple of months. Those are the ages where you want your promising youngsters to break in as squad players, and that's what Ole is doing with them.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Martial
Rashford Lingard James

Greenwood
Chong Gomes Mata
Pereira as a floater squad option between midfield and 3 behind striker. It's not that bad. Sanchez in there would be pointless, I'd rather play all 9 of them over Sanchez tbh. Lukaku would've helped as a backup striker to have Greenwood the backup winger, but essentially whenever a striker gets injured, Martial or Rashford move from LW to striker and then one of the backup 11 attackers come in as the wingers or #10 depending on how its shuffled. They'll all get a good amount of game time to show what they can do. Chong is 19 turning 20 in December by the end of the year, Gomes is 18 turning 19 in a couple of days, Greenwood is 17 turning 18 in a couple of months. Those are the ages where you want your promising youngsters to break in as squad players, and that's what Ole is doing with them.
Come on dude, that's midtable as feck and you know it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Come on dude, that's midtable as feck and you know it.
It has potential, and it's all about how you rate Martial and Rashford tbh. They are 2 players who needed a chance at key roles eventually, and are getting it now. I'm confident both will grab it and will be our st partners long term for 2 of the 3 attacking positions. Past them, we have 3 very exciting youth players, James who gives a pacey winger option and then Lingard and Mata who do have their uses and can compliment the others well. It's not title winner caliber, but it isnt midtable either.

It's a weird one to gauge because of the potential, but a year from now we can be looking at Gomes and Greenwood as players pushing to start regularly, as top class youngsters, Chong as a valuable squad winger, James as a valuable squad winger and Rashford and Martial as established and now proven reliable attackers, still young, who can push themselves to the top level of attackers in the league. They really do have the potential for that and aren't that far off IMO. Like I said.. it's not perfect, but there is a lot of cause for optimism in it as well, and very real potential to just sort itself out over the year through players becoming more experienced and changing fans perception of them.

romufc

We’re really not, we’re just missing depth in midfield. Let’s not confuse the two.
Thank you, so many fans on here acting as if Herrera was something special.

Fans on here have totally lost the plot, Herrera at 29 with a 5 year contract is calling for trouble a year down the line.

Bestietom

It is really looking like the Glazers are preparing to sell. Allowing players to go without replacing them, for one of the top teams in the world seems like they are not interested in the footballing side of things, or just getting the club ready for a new owner.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's Southampton level. Somehow the board have lucked out in that a lot of fans are swallowing this. Eventually they'll wake up but by that time we might be too far gone to attract better replacements.
Well I'd rather have Martial and Rashford than Che Adams and Danny Ings. I get what you're saying though. I don't think are options going forward are any better than Everton, Leicester and Wolves. You could even argue West Ham & Bournemouth have a more impressive front 3 than we do.

It is really looking like the Glazers are preparing to sell. Allowing players to go without replacing them, for one of the top teams in the world seems like they are not interested in the footballing side of things, or just getting the club ready for a new owner.
I'd take the Saudi's in a heartbeat. I know they are monsters, but if they spend the money to get us back to our rightful level (Barca/Juve/City level) than so fecking be it. Yes, I'm a bad person I know.

Alabaster Codify7

Well I'd rather have Martial and Rashford than Che Adams and Danny Ings. I get what you're saying though. I don't think are options going forward are any better than Everton, Leicester and Wolves. You could even argue West Ham & Bournemouth have a more impressive front 3 than we do.

I'd take the Saudi's in a heartbeat. I know they are monsters, but if they spend the money to get us back to our rightful level (Barca/Juve/City level) than so fecking be it. Yes, I'm a bad person I know.

Yeah,our first options are good but the overall depth is poor. If Rashford and Martial were big hitters, fair enough. Truth is, neither guy has hit figures consistently to trouble Lukaku. And we hounded him out of the club.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't think it's a big deal to be honest, we have 3 players that can play as striker. James is very comfortable on the left if one of Martial or Rashford is injured.

Only becomes an issue for me if both Martial and Rashford are out, but I'd imagine most teams would be in a bit of a mess if their two main strikers were out.

CF: Rashford/Martial/Greenwood

LWF: James/Martial/Rashford #10: Mata/Gomes/Andreas/Lingard RWF: Lingard/Mata/Andreas/James/Dalot/Greenwood​

Plenty of options there, as I say, only really becomes an issue if Martial and Rashford are both out for a sustained spell.
It just seems a massive stretch to count Greenwood as a striker option, when he's not started one meaningful game there.

It'll be very interesting if he starts tomorrow for instance.
I'd imagine we'll throw Mata in instead, and bypass the decision.

SAFMUTD

Being left so skinny in so many positions means we’ll get a lot of new players next summer right? Right?!!:nervous:

Alemar

It would be good if Mohammad bin Salman took ownership. Unlimited funds, and he wouldn’t care about the business side all that much (they have trillions of oil assets as a royal family). Yes, and it could also mean the end of Woody

Gator Nate

Ole's wife, on seeing him leave the house the day after the Palace game: "Where are you off to?"
Ole: "Just heading down to the Toyota dealership to pick up a '91 Corolla for my next press conference"
It would be good if Mohammad bin Salman took ownership. Unlimited funds, and he wouldn’t care about the business side all that much (they have trillions of oil assets as a royal family). Yes, and it could also mean the end of Woody
Press conferences might take on a whole new tone, too... :keano:

Lynty

Sanchez didn't need a replacement. He was non-existent anyway.

Lukaku has been replaced internally - Martial.

Martial's role has been replaced by Dan James.

rooney1905

It has potential, and it's all about how you rate Martial and Rashford tbh. They are 2 players who needed a chance at key roles eventually, and are getting it now. I'm confident both will grab it and will be our st partners long term for 2 of the 3 attacking positions. Past them, we have 3 very exciting youth players, James who gives a pacey winger option and then Lingard and Mata who do have their uses and can compliment the others well. It's not title winner caliber, but it isnt midtable either.

It's a weird one to gauge because of the potential, but a year from now we can be looking at Gomes and Greenwood as players pushing to start regularly, as top class youngsters, Chong as a valuable squad winger, James as a valuable squad winger and Rashford and Martial as established and now proven reliable attackers, still young, who can push themselves to the top level of attackers in the league. They really do have the potential for that and aren't that far off IMO. Like I said.. it's not perfect, but there is a lot of cause for optimism in it as well, and very real potential to just sort itself out over the year through players becoming more experienced and changing fans perception of them.
The optimism is appreciated but honestly speaking. If Martial kicks on to become this top level attacker why would he want to stay at Utd? Careers are finite as are finances and he can maximize both away from Old Trafford. Also, none of these front lines work without a midfield. We still need some level of leadership on field in these positions. We could do with one or two more experienced options. Ole can start who he wants but having experience to fall back on in a pinch isn’t a bad thing.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The optimism is appreciated but honestly speaking. If Martial kicks on to become this top level attacker why would he want to stay at Utd? Careers are finite as are finances and he can maximize both away from Old Trafford. Also, none of these front lines work without a midfield. We still need some level of leadership on field in these positions. We could do with one or two more experienced options. Ole can start who he wants but having experience to fall back on in a pinch isn’t a bad thing.
Yep, we should go with Young,Jones,Mata and Matic. Plenty of experience

Foxbatt

We would miss not replacing Fellaini and Herrera more than Lukaku and Sanchez.

Amerifan

That would be nice but depending on how they Sancho and Maddison play next season and possibly at the Euros I think we are talking at at roughly £230m in fees there.
I think you are right, but does that sound as insane to you as it does to me? We need several more top players to mount a consistent title chase, but at £100+ per player at that level we can’t buy enough talent to do it. No one can. Those days are over even for the oil state clubs. City is going to find it hard to replace their aging squad members that they bought in more reasonable times, and they’re coming from a position of strength. Good thing our academy prospects look so promising.