Not replacing Lukaku and Sanchez

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Will we regret it? With Martial's injury, we are down to one senior striker. We feel very very thin there I must admit.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Probably, but I'm looking on the bright side of getting two players who don't want to be here and who don't fit our system (Alexis in particular is just a wage pit here in my opinion) out or closer to the exit.

Raw

I think so, but I'm also glad they're out. Though it would be exciting if we have to start looking in the academy, never know, could get a bright gem out of nowhere (but obviously it's very risky).

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yes, without question. Maybe Sanchez less so but losing a player who averaged 15-20 goals a season without any replacement whatsoever is fecking idiotic beyond belief.

Eddy_JukeZ

I thought we needed a proven attacker brought in even with those 2 staying.

With them leaving, yeah we might regret it.

Massive gamble on Martial/Rashford providing the goods when they've never done so.

SaintMuppet

Will we regret it? With Martial's injury, we are down to one senior striker. We feel very very thin there I must admit.
We are 3 or 4 injuries from being totally screwed...

Whoever thought it was a good idea to trust this season to our youth needs shooting.

I can’t help but get the feeling Ole has been a little bit screwed by the board.

Baneofthegame

We will certainly find out how ready some of the kids are to step up if we get a few injuries.

crossy1686

career ending
We won't miss either of them but knowing this place they'll be a few people proclaiming they could have scored 30+ goals between them both.

Some are still talking about Hererra as if we've let Beckham, Scholes and Keane go at the same time so nothing surprises me.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
We won't miss either of them but knowing this place they'll be a few people proclaiming they could have scored 30+ goals between them both.

Some are still talking about Hererra as if we've let Beckham, Scholes and Keane go at the same time so nothing surprises me.
We won't miss a player who scored 27 goals and 15 goals for us in two seasons?

We won't miss our second best midfielder last season?

I'd love what you're smoking.

I'd say it depends on Greenwood and Gomes.

If we're relying on Lingard to replace them then we'll regret it. We may regret relying on Greenwood and Gomes, but I can live with that if that is the plan.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Well Lukaku had 27 goals in year 1 and then what, 19 in year 2? Shipping goals and not replacing them is pretty daft.

Smores

We will probably make do with what we have so I'm going to say no but that doesn't mean it isn't completely reckless.

Ole said himself that Lukaku would need replacing so I'm sure he thinks it's far from ideal. I'd just be interested to know what went wrong to reach this conclusion. Did we not identify options or did we just get told 'not available' and decided that would mean they'd be too costly after AWB and Maguires fees.

Unfortunately we'll never know and Ole will take the blame if it does cost us.

Raw

Basically we need Rashford, Martial and James to bring in at least 5-10 extra goals each. Lingard will drastically need to up his goal tally and the likes of Greenwood and Pereira could chip in with 3-5 goals each. It's not impossible but it wouldn't be surprising if they failed to reach those targets.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Lukaku and Herrera, for all their faults, did a job for us. Lukaku was our top scorer for the last two seasons & Herrera was a starter. Not replacing either, along with Fellaini, who again despite his many faults did a job for us (we could have used him last Saturday) was a very foolish move from us in my opinion.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
We'll regret Smalling much more. Our CBs colour coded by injury proneness:

Maguire
Lindelof

Smalling
Tuanzebe
Jones
Rojo
Bailly

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
We have striker cover, but that striker is our left winger. We should've bought another winger.

M Bison

Supports
York City
No, i wont.

I look forward to having players who can do the basics, run and control a ball being the main ones, but also players who want to be here. If that means relying on inexperienced players and some of the results are disappointing, then so be-it.

romufc

We have striker cover, but that striker is our left winger. We should've bought another winger.
Sense. I dont know why everyone is calling for Lukaku and Sanchez to be replaced? They got sold because they don't fit in the system.

A RW is what we need in this system, one area of the pitch we are really lacking. A RW who can play across the front 3.

TwoSheds

No we should have bought an actual no.10 that scores goals. We have loads of wing cover e.g. Lingard, Chong, Greenwood, Gomes.

At the AM position our substitute teacher is also the head of French for some reason.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Everything this club touches at the moment turns to shit so it probably doesn’t matter.

Phil Jones will be our first choice striker by December. It will be a ride if nothing else.

Raw

Whichever team gets 3/4 injuries to their first team are screwed not just Manutd.
Exactly. Imagine if Liverpool had Salah, Mane and VVD injured? Though in City's case, they're so ridiculously stacked that they'd be fine :lol:

The problem is those teams rarely get injuries. We do. Ole has been working on fitness at least, there will be growing pains but our squad should be fitter because of it.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Only player we will miss is Herrera. Lukaku was the worst striker I’ve seen at the club and I think people are going to be hugely surprised by the performances of Rashford, Martial and Greenwood. Greenwood is a top draw talent and despite the narrative after the Palace game being that he’s not ready, I think he’s proved he’s more than ready and will score plenty of goals. He just needs to bang in a couple to get the confidence going.

romufc

Exactly. Imagine if Liverpool had Salah, Mane and VVD injured? Though in City's case, they're so ridiculously stacked that they'd be fine :lol:

The problem is those teams rarely get injuries. We do. Ole has been working on fitness at least, there will be growing pains but our squad should be fitter because of it.
And I would rather have Rashford, Martial, James, Greenwood all rotating than waiting for Sanchez to come good or sign someone like Dybala who is here for wages only.

SaintMuppet

Whichever team gets 3/4 injuries to their first team are screwed not just Manutd.
Not as screwed as us and you know it.

City would cope fairly easily though I concede Liverpool might find it harder. But whichever way you look at it we have less depth than both of them, as well as them both having a better first 11.

With our new all action pressing style I’m expecting hamstrings and calves to start going down soon enough. We will be playing centre backs all over the pitch soon enough.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
No we should have bought an actual no.10 that scores goals. We have loads of wing cover e.g. Lingard, Chong, Greenwood, Gomes.

At the AM position our substitute teacher is also the head of French for some reason.
We don't need wing cover, we need first choice wingers.

romufc

Not as screwed as us and you know it.

City would cope fairly easily though I concede Liverpool might find it harder. But whichever way you look at it we have less depth than both of them, as well as them both having a better first 11.

With our new all action pressing style I’m expecting hamstrings and calves to start going down soon enough. We will be playing centre backs all over the pitch soon enough.
If we look at it up top.

If Liverpool lose 3 - Firminho, Salah, Origi - then we are looking at Shaqiri and Brewster?

Manutd lose 3 - Martial, James, Rashford - We will be looking at Greenwood, Chong - so both are still quite fecked. I wouldn't mind if a Lingard over Rashford got injured.

City - They can cope.

I would rather have a thin squad this season and getting rid of players we dont want and then next season signing 1st team players and ones who don't perform this season drop to the bench.

TwoSheds

We don't need wing cover, we need first choice wingers.
Whether you like them or not we have first choice wingers in Rashford and James. We also have options in reserve. At no.10 our first choice is Lingard, there is a clear difference. Adam Johnson has more Premier League assists in the last 6 years than Jesse Lingard and he was in prison for 3 of them.

Dread Devil

We do look light up top but we look so much better. We are hungry, energetic and working as a team.

Lukaku and Sánchez wouldn’t want to sit on the bench whilst Martial and Rashford were playing so it’s better to get rid rather than have unhappy players undermining the management.

SaintMuppet

If we look at it up top.

If Liverpool lose 3 - Firminho, Salah, Origi - then we are looking at Shaqiri and Brewster?

Manutd lose 3 - Martial, James, Rashford - We will be looking at Greenwood, Chong - so both are still quite fecked. I wouldn't mind if a Lingard over Rashford got injured.

City - They can cope.

I would rather have a thin squad this season and getting rid of players we dont want and then next season signing 1st team players and ones who don't perform this season drop to the bench.
I really think it depends on ‘which’ 3 or 4 players get injured in most cases.

I just hope we don’t lose too many midfielders at one time or we will part like the Red Sea......

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

If we lose Pogba, Martial and Rashford, we replace them with Pereira, Mata & Greenwood. If City lose De Bruyne, Sterling & Aguero, they replace them with B. Silva, Sane & Jesus.

Now that is depressing.

Bwuk

Yeah I think we will.

Neither Martial or Rashford have been truly consistent in their time here, for various factors. We need them both to step up.

Martial is injured at the moment. Lets say Rashford gets injured early vs Southampton, what would our front 4 even be?

Greenwood
James - Mata - Lingard​

Because that is beyond piss poor for a club the size of United.

Raw

Yeah I think we will.

Neither Martial or Rashford have been truly consistent in their time here, for various factors. We need them both to step up.

Martial is injured at the moment. Lets say Rashford gets injured early vs Southampton, what would our front 4 even be?

Greenwood
James - Mata - Lingard​

Because that is beyond piss poor for a club the size of United.
I honestly think we'll start seeing the likes of Young and/or Dalot play on the wings if it gets to that point. Which it probably might.

Bwuk

If we look at it up top.

City - They can cope.

Liverpool have much more flexibility, if they lost Firmino, Salah and Origi they'd still have the best LW in the league, and the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Wijnaldum can all play higher up the park.

City have absurd depth - they'd have zero issues.

Our squad is piss poor. I think it was a mistake to sell Lukaku without signing a forward.

romufc

I really think it depends on ‘which’ 3 or 4 players get injured in most cases.

I just hope we don’t lose too many midfielders at one time or we will part like the Red Sea......
The only one I am worried about is Pogba