Not replacing Lukaku and Sanchez

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah I think we will.

Neither Martial or Rashford have been truly consistent in their time here, for various factors. We need them both to step up.

Martial is injured at the moment. Lets say Rashford gets injured early vs Southampton, what would our front 4 even be?

Greenwood
James - Mata - Lingard​

Because that is beyond piss poor for a club the size of United.
To be fair though mate,

Martial
Rashford - Lingard - James​

Is still beyond piss poor for a club the size of United

Bwuk

I honestly think we'll start seeing the likes of Young and/or Dalot play on the wings if it gets to that point. Which it probably might.
Agreed.

Dalot is never a winger and Young is finished. It's a piss poor state of affairs.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
My main feeling about this is excitement about what Greenwood and maybe Gomes and Chong could do. There is no point in all the misery stuff, let's just see.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I think it was Stephen Howson who said recently that we're basically relying on both Rashford and Martial having record-breaking seasons.

romufc

Liverpool have much more flexibility, if they lost Firmino, Salah and Origi they'd still have the best LW in the league, and the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Wijnaldum can all play higher up the park.

City have absurd depth - they'd have zero issues.

Our squad is piss poor. I think it was a mistake to sell Lukaku without signing a forward.
But in the same mould, we can play Perreira, Lingard on the wing with likes of Chong, Gomes, Greenwood getting chances.

Would you have a Lukaku on the bench on 200k a week and getting on for 10 mins a game starving Greenwood for game time? And when Lukaku comes in for an injured player we have to change the way we play?

Bwuk

But in the same mould, we can play Perreira, Lingard on the wing with likes of Chong, Gomes, Greenwood getting chances.

Would you have a Lukaku on the bench on 200k a week and getting on for 10 mins a game starving Greenwood for game time? And when Lukaku comes in for an injured player we have to change the way we play?
Starving a 17 year old Greenwood for game time? Are you serious?

romufc

Starving a 17 year old Greenwood for game time? Are you serious?
Yes, I am serious. I would rather give Greenwood 10-15 appearances than Lukaku who we already know what he does.

Bwuk

Yes, I am serious. I would rather give Greenwood 10-15 appearances than Lukaku who we already know what he does.
It's mental to expect a 17 year old Greenwood to score anywhere near the amount of goals Lukaku would.

I don't even rate Lukaku, but we could of done with him vs Palace.

Raw

It's mental to expect a 17 year old Greenwood to score anywhere near the amount of goals Lukaku would.

To be honest Lukaku would have got limited game time under Ole anyway, so his potential goal output wouldn't be as high. But yeah, Greenwood would do well to get 5 goals in all comps this season let alone 10+. We simply have to hope Martial and Rashford can share the burden of needing to replace Lukaku's goals.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Will we regret it? With Martial's injury, we are down to one senior striker. We feel very very thin there I must admit.
Just maybe, this will get the message through to the Board & Glazers that Solskjaer needs their backing in the transfer window.
When he says he wants a RW, get him a RW...!!

Mark Pawelek

We are 3 or 4 injuries from being totally screwed...

Whoever thought it was a good idea to trust this season to our youth needs shooting.

I can’t help but get the feeling Ole has been a little bit screwed by the board.
At one stage we had 12 senior squad injuries under LVG but he played kids and it did not totally screw us. I think our best kids today are better than LVG era.

You're going to have to wake up to changing conditions in PL. Glazers will never spend the £½ billion or more it'll take to get back to being PL winning rivals. The only way forward is to find youth players with the potential to be PL winners. To play them.

Eric's Seagull

Just maybe, this will get the message through to the Board & Glazers that Solskjaer needs their backing in the transfer window.
When he says he wants a RW, get him a RW...!!
I really hope you are right and the board see sense on this and realise they made a mistake by not signing a right winger.

1. Best option was to replace Lukuku. Sanchez doesn’t need replacing, as he was never needed on the first place and contributed nothing.

2. Second best option - get rid of both by any means possible, and go with what we have. Give Greenwood some exposure, and if necessary buy in Jan.
99th best option - have Lukuku and Sanchez playing for us this season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Sanchez wont be missed... at all

Lukaku selling is a gamble but he didn't have it in him to fight for a place or prove his worth and as his actions have shown he started to be a dick so he needed to be let go. If Rashford/Martial were always going to be automatic starters under the new regime how do you replace Lukaku? You cant do it with a like for like as that profile of player wont be happy to be second fiddle so you then look at the likes of Llorente or go to the academy with the likes of Greenwood

I'm sure in an ideal world Lukaku would have been replaced with a top class RW like Sancho but alas that wasn't to be (for this summer anyway)

romufc

12 goals? Lukaku started games and got that. If Greenwood can get 6 goals this year

andycolegangstainnit

last summer Fred and Dalot replaced Carrick and Valencia (effectively). This summer McT & Pereira have replaced Felly & Herrera, James & Greenwood have replaced Lukau & Sanchez, AWB & Macguire hopeully we replace Darmo and at least one CB. We've also got Gomes & Chong.

The numbers are ok so we have replaced Lukaku & Sanchez but with vastly inexperienced players. Personally, I support the move. It appears they were having a negative effect on the dressing room and, particularly Sanchez, they never justified the investment. We do lack a creative midfielder though. I'd prefer to see Maddison or Kai Havertz in at 10 instead of Lingaard, he's a squad player. We need to create more decent chances for the amount of possession we have.

GoldanoGraham

I would have kept hold of Sanchez - while he hasn’t done anything to date surely he would have been useful - his was just a confidence thing - moody yes but he was always giving 100%

The fact that we are paying a huge amount of wages cash for him to play for someone else is wrong.....totally wrong

I’m all for youth but we haven’t really even given them a chance so far - need to either go for it and stick with it otherwise Ole is going to get slaughtered - we need to make sure out of form players are not starters this season.....so the first person that needs saving from themselves if Lingard - he has been woeful so far this season so let’s mix it up and try something different rather than just keep talking about it....

settembrini

Sanchez has been replaced by James. And it's a clear upgrade for us.

Lukaku has replaced by Greenwood. Last season Lukaku was unfit, not especially productive in front of goal and unsuited to any kind of pressing football. That is why he lost his undroppable status once Mourinho was sacked. He responded to this not by getting himself back into shape and fighting for his place but by declaring that his dream was to leave United for Italy. Then in the summer he acted like a massive baby to force his way out. Greenwood is an unknown quality at PL level but his talent is clear and as long as he actually wants to play for us then I'd rather have him in the squad that Lukaku.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Yup I think we will... hope we won't but yeah... though I do think the bigger crime was not replacing Herrera.

I mean, even if we kept Herrera we should have probably tried to buy a central midfielder... so the fact that he went and we didn't even replace him is mind boggling to me.

SaintMuppet

Is it bad that I hope Fred can come good? Can one of our signings come offf?
I want all our guys to come good. That includes Sanchez, Fred even Rojo. Pogba is our best player but his heart seems set elsewhere so we really need to learn to play without him.

I have no idea who was in control over the summer. We just seem to thin in areas of the squad,it appears very badly planned.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Whether you like them or not we have first choice wingers in Rashford and James. We also have options in reserve. At no.10 our first choice is Lingard, there is a clear difference. Adam Johnson has more Premier League assists in the last 6 years than Jesse Lingard and he was in prison for 3 of them.
Rashford isn't a winger and is backup striker. That's the problem.

I'm not saying Lingard doesn't need replacing. It's not one or the other.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We were all concerned that leaving Rashford and Martial as the two main strikers was risky. Especially as both will start most games, rather than one being a backup.

But you'd have thought we'd have lasted more than 3 games without one being injured!

meninred

Ole is putting faith on the youngsters. I think there are six or seven of them.

We were all concerned that leaving Rashford and Martial as the two main strikers was risky. Especially as both will start most games, rather than one being a backup.

But you'd have thought we'd have lasted more than 3 games without one being injured!
I don't think it's a big deal to be honest, we have 3 players that can play as striker. James is very comfortable on the left if one of Martial or Rashford is injured.

Only becomes an issue for me if both Martial and Rashford are out, but I'd imagine most teams would be in a bit of a mess if their two main strikers were out.

CF: Rashford/Martial/Greenwood

LWF: James/Martial/Rashford #10: Mata/Gomes/Andreas/Lingard RWF: Lingard/Mata/Andreas/James/Dalot/Greenwood​

Plenty of options there, as I say, only really becomes an issue if Martial and Rashford are both out for a sustained spell.

Eric's Seagull

I don't think it's a big deal to be honest, we have 3 players that can play as striker. James is very comfortable on the left if one of Martial or Rashford is injured.

Only becomes an issue for me if both Martial and Rashford are out, but I'd imagine most teams would be in a bit of a mess if their two main strikers were out.

CF: Rashford/Martial/Greenwood

LWF: James/Martial/Rashford #10: Mata/Gomes/Andreas/Lingard RWF: Lingard/Mata/Andreas/James/Dalot/Greenwood​

Plenty of options there, as I say, only really becomes an issue if Martial and Rashford are both out for a sustained spell.
Ryan Giggs and Daniel James have both said he can play anywhere in the front 3. Not sure sure what he would be like playing in the middle if the need ever arose though.

Eric's Seagull

It's a tiresome cliche but it's obvious we need to clean house. I just hope the club is more proactive with their recruitment policy for next year than they were this summer. I must admit though I have my doubts.
I would have rathered them not sign Mata up to a new contract but that's the way it goes. I hope they get in at least a decent right winger and a couple of midfielders in the summer. I hope the board don't just intend on spending the bare minimum that they think will get us into the top 4. Although I am happy we are finally starting to clear the deadwood.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Certainly very light on game turning options off the bench. Even 5 years ago you had Hernandez who was perfect for that sort of role.

If you're 2-1 down in games with 15 minutes left and bring on Mata, Lingard and Greenwood to try to salvage something that to me wouldn't feel that threatening (of course meaning they'll all play big parts in your usual Villa Park 2-0 down comeback :lol:).

Daniel James would actually be a good supersub but given how he's playing you need him to start games.

At the minute it dosen't feel like 2017 when Man. United messed up in the league but still had the squad to comfortably compete in europa league. If you play the kids in that you're risking an early knock out exit I think which could be a problem if top 4 starts moving away.

Eric's Seagull

Certainly very light on game turning options off the bench. Even 5 years ago you had Hernandez who was perfect for that sort of role.

If you're 2-1 down in games with 15 minutes left and bring on Mata, Lingard and Greenwood to try to salvage something that to me wouldn't feel that threatening (of course meaning they'll all play big parts in your usual Villa Park 2-0 down comeback :lol:).

Daniel James would actually be a good supersub but given how he's playing you need him to start games.

At the minute it dosen't feel like 2017 when Man. United messed up in the league but still had the squad to comfortably compete in europa league. If you play the kids in that you're risking an early knock out exit I think which could be a problem if top 4 starts moving away.
Think Greenwood could do something off the bench but I don't think we would have the option of both Mata and Lingard off the bench. I think one of them 2 will definitely be starting.