Number 1 priority... Central midfielder!

Fosu-Mens

Number 1 priority: Get a new man in charge of making football decision at Manchester United
Number 2 priority: Identify a successful manager that fits the ideals of Manchester United.
Number 3 priority: Show patience and wait for said manager to become available.
Number 4 priority: Buy a CM
Number 5 priority: Replace Pogba because no way is he going to hang around playing with this shite.

Anything else is just putting a plaster on a bullet wound.
Past success does not directly translate into future success...
Maybe prioritize a manager that has shown indications of playing a type of football that can be effective in the modern game? Winning the ECL 2-3 years ago does not neccasarily say anything about his suitability as a manager in the current game.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Centre midfield is a huge problem. We have 2 that are good enough - we need 4 at minimum (though i'd be somewhat comfortable with Fred at 4). I really like Philips at Leeds, but him aside any PL club are going to murder us on transfer fees, so I'd be looking outside the UK for this player. No idea who fits the bill.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Centre midfield is a huge problem. We have 2 that are good enough - we need 4 at minimum (though i'd be somewhat comfortable with Fred at 4). I really like Philips at Leeds, but him aside any PL club are going to murder us on transfer fees, so I'd be looking outside the UK for this player. No idea who fits the bill.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He should not be in a position to make those kind of calls and that he still does, six years into a disastrous rein, is at the root of our decline. He is not equipped with the requisite skill which is more of an art than a science and he doesn't have the time to really get himself enough information to be able to make such decisions.

We need a midfielder, yes but if the central issues dogging the club arent addressed what makes people think we will buy the right one when our recent £50m acquisition for the same role looks like an amateur?
What are you on about. He should be in a position to deal with contract of the player. If he can’t keep a regular starting XI player and lose the player then make sense if the manager wants a replacement and the club shall work on the replacement, if we can‘t get replacement or impossible to find one then don’t lose that regular starting XI player.

However the point is that we didnt extend Herrera’s contract but did it on Pereira who did nothing to deserve a new contract.

Eric's Seagull

I've not read the full article but apparantly in The Athletic, they say we are satisfied with options in midfield and defence and that our priority is a striker.
Hope this part in bold is incorrect as I firmly believe we need at least one more midfielder. If this is true shows how low we have fallen :annoyed:

AneRu

What are you on about. He should be in a position to deal with contract of the player. If he can’t keep a regular starting XI player and lose the player then make sense if the manager wants a replacement and the club shall work on the replacement, if we can‘t get replacement or impossible to find one then don’t lose that regular starting XI player.

However the point is that we didnt extend Herrera’s contract but did it on Pereira who did nothing to deserve a new contract.
Working on a contract or signing a player is executing a decision. You say he let Herrera go and extended Pereira's contract and I am saying he is not qualified to make that sort of decision because he can't judge the worth of those players to the team. That he is doing that points to a reason why the club has been in free fall.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Working on a contract or signing a player is executing a decision. You say he let Herrera go and extended Pereira's contract and I am saying he is not qualified to make that sort of decision because he can't judge the worth of those players to the team. That he is doing that points to a reason why the club has been in free fall.
Herrera‘s contract wasn’t extended because the club took ages to offer him one, by that time he already made a deal with PSG. The manager clearly wanted him to stay and if the club decided to delay the process then there is only one man is responsible for that. Pereira’s dealt was done likely only because we lost Herrera and couldn’t get a replacement.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Lobotka would be a amazing acquisition. He's good defensively, can driveforward with the the ball and is brilliant at evading the press. Would improve our play ten fold with him in the team. Hopefully Giggs has had a word with Ole after Lobotka's showing against Wales where Giggs lavished praise on the player.
Unfortunately, it seems like he's off to Napoli in January. :(

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Who is available at a reasonable price in January?
I don't even think 'reasonable price' should come into the equation of our thinking.
We have go all out to get one of the long terms targets, paying whatever it takes, but its absolutely imperative that we get at least one into MF, and I'm not a fan of short term make do & mend.

Zlatattack

We're getting nobody. We're going to finish 10th and celebrate the fact sometimes we look really good on the counter and Ole is a nice guy.

Bestietom

We need 3 midfielders minimum. = Only 1 should remain McTominay
We need 2 forwards ( We always had 4 CF when Fergie was in charge)
We need a RW ( haven't had a RW for Years now)
We need a CB to partner Maguire ( Milenkovic would be my pick)
We need a LB ( We may get away with Williams for now)

brownyorkshireman

I think Kalvin Philips from Leeds would be a smart/realistic signing for January. Young, very promising ability with lots of potential and shouldn't be too pricey (Maybe around 30m?). Would be a good long term addition to our squad and not just a short term fix who we will later regret having.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
There's plenty of players out there that would improve our midfield and although not top star quality would be fine for a squad option. We need that reinforcement pronto. No excuses.

Denis' cuff

Yeah, but if we have to put a plaster, it should be a midfield plaster.
Any suggestions for a “successful manager who will fit the ideals....”?

You forgot to mention he would need financial support to buy players he wants to buy... oh, and give him more than 2 years before sacking him because he hasn’t won a title with incumbent bunch of shite that receive support from owners/exec management that the manager doesn’t.

Oh, and a DOF will do feck all if the current owners and ceo continue to run the club the way they have for well over a decade.

Edit: sorry Jinn. Meant to quote #2 but cba now. ;)

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
If we sign one player in January it simply must be a good midfielder.
Agree.

Problem is, midfielders often takes time. Even very good ones. Look at Fabinho at Liverpool. Jorginho at Chelsea. Bernardo Silva at Man City. Neither was awful the first year, but not that influential either. All of them look alot better now. Consequently, buying an established midfielder is tricky.

Jinn

Any suggestions for a “successful manager who will fit the ideals....”?

You forgot to mention he would need financial support to buy players he wants to buy... oh, and give him more than 2 years before sacking him because he hasn’t won a title with incumbent bunch of shite that receive support from owners/exec management that the manager doesn’t.

Oh, and a DOF will do feck all if the current owners and ceo continue to run the club the way they have for well over a decade.

Edit: sorry Jinn. Meant to quote #2 but cba now. ;)
Jeez...talk about getting the wrong end of the stick. Now i know what married men go through with Menopausal wife's. ;)

Jinn

Agree.

Problem is, midfielders often takes time. Even very good ones. Look at Fabinho at Liverpool. Jorginho at Chelsea. Bernardo Silva at Man City. Neither was awful the first year, but not that influential either. All of them look alot better now. Consequently, buying an established midfielder is tricky.
It's probably best to get someone from the PL for that reason alone. No bedding in time required.

Chicharito_

I think Kalvin Philips from Leeds would be a smart/realistic signing for January. Young, very promising ability with lots of potential and shouldn't be too pricey (Maybe around 30m?). Would be a good long term addition to our squad and not just a short term fix who we will later regret having.
I haven't seen much of this guy, is he good on the ball?

As much as we need energy and some combat in the middle of the park we also need quality in that position to get back to the top. Look at Fabinho and Kante, they have a mix of both and that's what we need in a DM.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
That Ander lad at PSG looks decent. Let’s offer him a pay cut to come to the club. That’ll be enticing.

bsCallout

I think getting in midfielders/attacking midfielders is ALL we need. I think we are good enough in the other areas and a midfield would transform us.

We could easily get McGinn, Fernandes, Tonali. Get them all. Get rid of Pogba.

Or do we need a more experienced player?

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
I think getting in midfielders/attacking midfielders is ALL we need. I think we are good enough in the other areas and a midfield would transform us.

We could easily get McGinn, Fernandes, Tonali. Get them all. Get rid of Pogba.

Or do we need a more experienced player?
To compete for the title again, you need 3/4 areas to be excellent.

City have an excellent 'keeper, midfield and forward line with a good defence.

Liverpool have an excellent 'keeper, defence and forward line with a good midfield.

At the moment, you have an excellent goalkeeper, good defence, average midfield (without Pogba) and a good forward line.

Another top centre back and a top left back would make your defence excellent.

Two top midfield players would make your midfield excellent.

A top striker or right forward would make your forward line excellent.

So that's at least 3 top players to 'transform' you.

Anything less will improve you, but not to the required standard.

bsCallout

To compete for the title again, you need 3/4 areas to be excellent.

City have an excellent 'keeper, midfield and forward line with a good defence.

Liverpool have an excellent 'keeper, defence and forward line with a good midfield.

At the moment, you have an excellent goalkeeper, good defence, average midfield (without Pogba) and a good forward line.

Another top centre back and a top left back would make your defence excellent.

Two top midfield players would make your midfield excellent.

A top striker or right forward would make your forward line excellent.

So that's at least 3 top players to 'transform' you.

Anything less will improve you, but not to the required standard.
I don't disagree, but I think the other areas improve with a better midfield. & I am hopeful that Williams & Tuanzabe step up to the top level. And that our forward line all of which are 4/5 years younger than Liverpools, can reach those levels in the coming years.

A better midfield would bring more goals too, Rashford, James & Martial are already putting up decent figures at a young age so I am hopeful.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
I don't disagree, but I think the other areas improve with a better midfield. & I am hopeful that Williams & Tuanzabe step up to the top level. And that our forward line all of which are 4/5 years younger than Liverpools, can reach those levels in the coming years.

A better midfield would bring more goals too, Rashford, James & Martial are already putting up decent figures at a young age so I am hopeful.
Yeah, you could be right. Out of all of the areas, if you manage to get an excellent midfield, with either a fully engaged Pogba plus another top defensive player, or get rid of Pogba and sign 2 top quality CMs, I think it will make the biggest difference.

If you could transplant Leicester's midfield 3 of Ndidi, Tielemans and Maddison into your side, it would probably compete!

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I don't even think 'reasonable price' should come into the equation of our thinking.
...and yet that is the only thing which will be on Woodward's mind, in January.
We must save money, to balance the books. This was the thinking in the Summer and that thinking will remain during January.

Champagne Football

He's definitely not realistic in January. Bielsa would resign if his best player was sold half-way through a promotion campaign.
In the summer though for sure realistic.

I think the board are seeing this season as a write-off, aim for the Europa, and see this as an opportunity to give lots of game time to Garner, who might start proving he has moved up a level, before the end of the season.

brownyorkshireman

He's definitely not realistic in January. Bielsa would resign if his best player was sold half-way through a promotion campaign.
In the summer though for sure realistic.

I think the board are seeing this season as a write-off, aim for the Europa, and see this as an opportunity to give lots of game time to Garner, who might start proving he has moved up a level, before the end of the season.
Good point tbh- Didn't realise how pivotal he is for Bielsa's team. I just don't see united improving this season unless they buy a midfielder or two in January. Guess its going to be a long season.

Yagami

Good post resistant
So whose available for January then?
I'm pretty sure the three CMs I mentioned on the previous page (Lobotka, M.Henrique, Amrabat) could all move in January if we wanted them.

Lobotka wanted to move in the summer and has already been talking about "you never know" when it comes to the January window . Seems like Napoli will go in for him in January.

Amrabat - without meaning to sound arrogant - could probably be pretty easy to pry away from Verona. Inter are looking at possibly purchasing him in January. For those who don't know him, I'd liken him to Moussa Dembele (the CM who used to play for Fulham/Spurs).

Matheus Henrique could be a tricky one due to the work permit predicament, though.

Last edited:

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If you could transplant Leicester's midfield 3 of Ndidi, Tielemans and Maddison into your side, it would probably compete!
This sums up the madness of MUFC....

Since SAF retired 6 years ago, we have thrown £950 Million quid at improving our team, and yet Solskjaer had a Midfield pool of Fred, Pereira, Mata & Garner to select from at the weekend.
Compare that to what Leicester can field and how much they paid.
It's an absolutely shocking level of incompetence, and yet no-one is held to account for it.

Champagne Football

Ben Pearson has become one of the best deep-lying playmakers in The Championship.
I wonder do our scouts see him as a potential option in January? I think for the right money he'd be available from Preston in January.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ben Pearson has become one of the best deep-lying playmakers in The Championship.
I wonder do our scouts see him as a potential option in January? I think for the right money he'd be available from Preston in January.
He'd definitely be available for the right money but we should be aiming alot higher.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Priority should be:
1, sack Woodward
2, hire DoF
3, DoF to assess Ole's performance and if necessary replace him...fast (no dithering)
4, AFTER the manager situation is sorted, look to buy players of the correct profile, so we can challenge for top 4 (this does not take 3 years, as Woodward is saying. Top 4 should be achievable in the new manager's very first season).

And on the subject of buying players in January - I don't see this happening, as Woodward in 'money saving mode'.
If the club need a DoF to realise that Ole is doing a terrible job were in even bigger trouble than we realise.

Also, football clubs and life doesn't work this way. If we haven't hired a DoF all this while, it means that there isn't an urgency to it. And if there isn't, and Woodward is comfortable in his role, we can't stop fixing the other problems.

We need a new manager who needs to be given money to spend on his vision. Hopefully it's also accompanied by a DoF but the club can't stand still for that.

Jibbs

Two players I really want us to look at seriously are Teun Koopmeiners and Sander Berge. They both collectively won't cost more than 40 to 50 m but both are solid defensive and central midfielders and can be very useful addition to our midfield.

SteveW

If we had a decent midfield I could see us going on a long winning run. We are scoring plenty since Martial came back and Rashford moved wide. But the complete lack of a midfield is undermining everything.

Canagel

Tell that to the manager and people in the club. Apparently we're on the search for back up strikers/competition as main priority over the hole in midfield and right wing.

croadyman

Any of these 3 players would improve us and could be obtained in January. Zaniolo, Can, Fernandes, and Soumare are others. So if Woody says there is no one available, he's lying again.
We need to continue this rebuild in earnest, and no excuses anymore. If we are determined to catch up with the top 4 teams then we must show it. If Ole thinks we can get through the season with this group, then he is in dreamland.
Fred, Pereira, Mata, Lingard, are just not good enough. Matic and Pogba want out, so that leaves us with McTominay who is injured. Absolutely scandalous for a club like Manchester United.
I would add Doucoure to that list as he can give us some steel in midfield,creatively we have to look outside of the premier league.

Last edited:

RedAlert27

I think Milinkovic-Savic would be a decent addition to our midfield. Probably not available in January. I can still see us spending £70 million for Longstaff in the summer or something daft like that