Number 1 priority... Central midfielder!

Mike Smalling

Buy 2 midfielders in summer, and a backup attacker. I think we will be fine.

first choice attack 3: James, Martial, Rashford
Backup attack: Greenwood, new attacker

first choice midfield 3: Pogba(or new midfielder if he choose to leave), new midfielder, Mctominay
backup midfield: Fred, Pereira, Lingard
sell: Mata, Matic
Pereira should really not be in our squad after the summer transfer window - not even as a back-up.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Zaniolo, Can, Fernandes, Soumare, Eriksen, could all be available in January. Others may be on the list also. Just hope we can get 2 in.
Dejan Kulusevski is another we have scouted and enquired about. He mainly plays as a RW, but can play across the middle also.
How is Zaniolo going to be available in January?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
If Ole decides to go back to 433
He really shouldn't. He should let Fred and McT continue to form a partnership, it's working well at the moment.

and Pogba can get his head back
I think Pogba will be quite happy playing a more attacking role, more free of the defensive duties, it may help him get his head back.

Bestietom

How is Zaniolo going to be available in January?
Read that Roma wants to sign Smalling and that we wanted Zaniolo and have talked about a deal involving him. Scouts have watched him several times. Don't know if we would be willing to pay over the odds for him in January though.

OoopsMisclick

Well, our media is reporting that Berge is available for 20mil.
Napoli already made the offer but Berge will decide himself where he'd like to go.

For 20mil euro, he's worth a punt. Plays well whenever i see him.

Strelok

I think Pogba will be quite happy playing a more attacking role, more free of the defensive duties, it may help him get his head back.
Yeah maybe.

I don't know what he really wants (maybe either himself) however according to reports it seems he wants to leave for Real or Juventus, probably for the CL title. We won't be challenging for such title a couple years more at the least. We're working to get back to top 4, to qualify for the CL you know ...

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I don't know what he really wants (maybe either himself) however according to reports it seems he wants to leave for Real or Juventus, probably for the CL title.
I think PP wants to leave, too much noise for some of it not to be true but will anyone actually pay enough to buy him? That's the real question. Also, we've shown we can cope without him too.

We won't be challenging for such title a couple years more at the least. We're working to get back to top 4, to qualify for the CL you know ...
I agree, but I'm also optimistic. If we carry on our current form and Chelsea carry on theirs we could make the top 4 this very year! Wouldn't that be brill? If Ole's next 3 signings have the effect his last 3 have then who knows where we could end up next season.

jamesjimmybyrondean

January is in 3 weeks and we've hardly been linked with any DM or CM not even by 'the sun'. And yet this position should abviously be our no. 1 priority.

There are some good DMs that are available in January - Roca, Berge, Koopmeiners, Grillitsch, Allan, Sangare, Tonali

I bet there's going to be no value in the market in the end though. It's funny because the only DMs I've seen us linked to since the start of the season are Florentino Luis, Zakaria and Kalvin Phillips. The 3 players that none of their clubs would want to sell in January

sp_107

January is in 3 weeks and we've hardly been linked with any DM or CM not even by 'the sun'. And yet this position should abviously be our no. 1 priority.

There are some good DMs that are available in January - Roca, Berge, Koopmeiners, Grillitsch, Allan, Sangare, Tonali

I bet there's going to be no value in the market in the end though. It's funny because the only DMs I've seen us linked to since the start of the season are Florentino Luis, Zakaria and Kalvin Phillips. The 3 players that none of their clubs would want to sell in January

We have been strongly linked with Kai Havertz, James Maddison(Attacking) and Parades, Saul, the French youngster Camavinga and Spanish boy Olmo.
I would be happy if atleast one of this join us in Jan if not two.

RooneyLegend

Rumor has it Thiago might be available, we'd be crazy not to look into it. He's an amazing footballer.

Yagami

Good post resistant
McFred is not our future midfield if we want to compete.

Maybe one can be a fixture in a competitive starting eleven, but both renders us utterly devoid of any creativeness whatsoever. I don't think they were bad today, or in general when they play together, but it's just too safe, which is weird to say as they're all action, go-go-go CMs, but we need a CM who can add some composure to the midfield. Especially at home when we need to break teams down.

In January we need a 10 and a CM even with Pogba coming back, imo. We not only lack creativity centrally, we lack composure, too. Whenever teams come at us we can't keep the ball. So, as well as getting a 10 in who can actually create and contribute to attacks (whether that be Pogba or a new man), we need a DLP who can pass, and resist pressing opposition instead of panicking at the first sign of pressure.

Irwin99

Depends on what style we want to play. If we're happy being more of a counter attacking team then Fred and Mctom isn't actually a bad defensive base, we just need a 10 who is actually good/creative.

Pogba replacing either Fred or Mctom will cause just as many problems as it will solve. Play him as a the furthest forward and I think we're a better team.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Depends on what style we want to play. If we're happy being more of a counter attacking team then Fred and Mctom isn't actually a bad defensive base, we just need a 10 who is actually good/creative.

Pogba replacing either Fred or Mctom will cause just as many problems as it will solve. Play him as a the furthest forward and I think we're a better team.
Even if we want to be a counter attacking team, because of us being Man Utd, there will be games where we'll have to break down teams that sit deep, so we need a DLP who can add composure and creativity as well as said creative 10 regardless, imo.

I agree with your second point that Pogba shouldn't be the one to replace either Fred or McTominay - he should play how he did in Ole's first few games where he sorta has a free role in possession, but comes back to form a 3 defensively - but I definitely think that at least one of Fred or McTominay needs to be replaced with a more well-rounded CM.

Fosu-Mens

Will not get us far playing this type of football...

Other than that, i agree with your statements regarding the players mentioned.

Yagami

Good post resistant
McFred is not our future midfield if we want to compete.

Maybe one can be a fixture in a competitive starting eleven, but both renders us utterly devoid of any creativeness whatsoever. I don't think they were bad today, or in general when they play together, but it's just too safe, which is weird to say as they're all action, go-go-go CMs, but we need a CM who can add some composure to the midfield. Especially at home when we need to break teams down.

In January we need a 10 and a CM even with Pogba coming back, imo. We not only lack creativity centrally, we lack composure, too. Whenever teams come at us we can't keep the ball. So, as well as getting a 10 in who can actually create and contribute to attacks (whether that be Pogba or a new man), we need a DLP who can pass, and resist pressing opposition instead of panicking at the first sign of pressure.
I just want to repeat this.

McTominay and Fred are not good enough against teams that sit deep. As well as having Pogba back, we definitely need at least another CM in January. Someone who can actually pass, resist pressure, and just add some calmness and composure in the middle.

paulscholes18

The worse the opposition the worse Fred and Mctominay are, vs good teams when they can sit back break up play and boot it over the top it’s fine, vs lesser sides when you need a bit of quality in the middle of the park forget about they are as much use as a chocolate teapot

Champagne Football

I just want to repeat this.

McTominay and Fred are not good enough against teams that sit deep. As well as having Pogba back, we definitely need at least another CM in January. Someone who can actually pass, resist pressure, and just add some calmness and composure in the middle.
No top class CM will be available in January, and even landing in the summer won't be easy unless it's an off the radar name or some up and coming kid. Fans suggesting the likes of Saul Niguez and Thomas Partey without realizing that these players don't want to leave Atletico and Atletico don't want to lose them.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Ole said he was happy with the team remember
When you're starting Lingard and having to rely on Mata as a sub, you can't really be happy.
No top class CM will be available in January, and even landing in the summer won't be easy unless it's and off the radar name or some up and coming kid. Fans suggesting the likes of Saul Nigues and Thomas Partey without realizing that these players don't want to leave Atletico and Atletico don't want to lose them.
I've never wanted Saul.

In my previous posts in this thread, I've said there are CMs available in January that I'd love here. Lobotka who may be joining Napoli in January, Sofyan Amrabat who I really like and would be as cheap as dirt. He's pretty much a Moussa Dembele clone. The ex Spurs one.

Zen86

Desperately need a quality midfielder. Pogba has certainly made a difference today, looks to get forward and play those balls that we’ve been sorely missing. Basically doing the things that our midfield hasn’t against this kind of opposition.

Champagne Football

When you're starting Lingard and having to rely on Mata as a sub, you can't really be happy.

I've never wanted Saul.

In my previous posts in this thread, I've said there are CMs available in January that I'd love here. Lobotka who may be joining Napoli in January, Sofyan Amrabat who I really like and would be as cheap as dirt. He's pretty much a Moussa Dembele clone. The ex Spurs one.
Very hard to say if they could cut it at Utd. Mkhitaryan had the best stats in history as a playmaker and scorer, yet failed badly. Fred being another example of a player who was supposed to be the missing link, and who was nailed on to be a star here by everyone who had seen him play at Shaktar. Renato Sanches another who looked world class then couldn't get a game when he rocked up at Swansea.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Very hard to say if they could cut it at Utd. Mkhitaryan had the best stats in history as a playmaker and scorer, yet failed badly. Fred being another example of a player who was supposed to be the missing link, and who was nailed on to be a star here by everyone who had seen him play at Shaktar. Renato Sanches another who looked world class then couldn't get a game when he rocked up at Swansea.
Regarding Mkhitaryan, I remember being the only one on here saying it'd be a bad signing, and I got some stick for that. I looked past his impressive stats, and his general play just didn't impress me when I watched Dortmund.

I never rated Renato Sanches either. Fred I was iffy on because I'd only seen him once (against City in the CL where he played well) but, if I remember correctly, I didn't mind him joining.

Amrabat I'm positive would be a great CM in the PL. Lobotka - even though I'm a fan - I'm less sure of, but I think his qualities as a central midfielder are something we're sorely missing.

Kag

Our midfield options are bottom half material. The midfield is why we are eighth. We’ve played an entire season with McTominay, Fred and Lingard/Pereira. The latter pair wouldn’t look out of place in the Championship.

We have above average defenders and an inconsistent duo of Martial and Rashford to get us (some) goals. But the midfield is dreadful. And until people accept that then they will continue to get upset at our inability to break down (apparently) poorer sides. Poorer overall they may be, but the opposition midfields we come up against are better. Not just Spurs, or City, but Watford, Wolves and Villa.

Pogba coming back will help so, so much. It won’t be perfect, but Jesus, it has to get better. It can’t not.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The No.1 priority is not for a CM.
The No.1 priority is to buy 2 CMs, to replace Fellaini and Herrera.
The problem is that this will cost money (transfer fees and wages), which Woodward does not want to pay for. Ole is a "yes" man, so won't complain or make any demands, which may rock the boat.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
People should realise the reason Ole put him deeper is not because he thinks it’s his best position - it is because he needs two Pogba’s, and was trying to play him where the team needs him most. He wants someone who can collect the ball deep and pass it, and the deeper midfielders aren’t as good on the ball.

We just need at least one more really good midfielder. One with class on the ball, but greater defensive ability than Pogba.

The Urban Goose

People should realise the reason Ole put him deeper is not because he thinks it’s his best position - it is because he needs two Pogba’s, and was trying to play him where the team needs him most. He wants someone who can collect the ball deep and pass it, and the deeper midfielders aren’t as good on the ball.

We just need at least one more really good midfielder. One with class on the ball, but greater defensive ability than Pogba.
This is the biggest thing worrying me about Ole.

Ok, well joint biggest alongside his loyalty to Lingard and McKenna/Carrick (what exactly are they doing all week when the clear first XI still look like they've never met before?).

It's obvious Pogba is better at 10 than 6, and we only looked half decent today for those 10 minutes when he was playing at 10. Yet it seems Ole is determined to shoehorn him into the CM two.

We need to upgrade McTominay and Fred, but with busy duracell bunny types, not with a languid creative player.

Alabaster Codify7

The No.1 priority is not for a CM.
The No.1 priority is to buy 2 CMs, to replace Fellaini and Herrera.
The problem is that this will cost money (transfer fees and wages), which Woodward does not want to pay for. Ole is a "yes" man, so won't complain or make any demands, which may rock the boat.

This is my take, too. We aren't signing anyone in January.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This is the biggest thing worrying me about Ole.

Ok, well joint biggest alongside his loyalty to Lingard and McKenna/Carrick (what exactly are they doing all week when the clear first XI still look like they've never met before?).

It's obvious Pogba is better at 10 than 6, and we only looked half decent today for those 10 minutes when he was playing at 10. Yet it seems Ole is determined to shoehorn him into the CM two.

We need to upgrade McTominay and Fred, but with busy duracell bunny types, not with a languid creative player.
I think he has played him deeper because he doesn’t trust the quality those behind him have on the ball. But it’s a catch 22 because when he plays deep, the midfielders in front of him lack quality too. And his own weaknesses are highlighted the deeper he plays too, so I’m not a fan.

In summary, I think he thinks Pogba can do both roles, but the team needs him to be Carrick more than they need him to be Scholes. I think he knows it’s not the best for him personally.

Triple.Threat

We need a new manager period. We would ruin any player we get under the current setup, If Ole couldn't get the 10% extra and improve what he's got already there's nothing to suggest spending will fix it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
With Scott out for who knows how long, there is just no delaying this. We have to buy one as early as possible in January. We should already have been spending the last many months scouring the world for suitable candidates.

And Pogba is just back from a 3 month injury lay-off. There is no way we can run him and Fred into the ground in the next few weeks. Garner may come on in matches as soon as they're decided, but we have to act fast in the market.

MikeeMike

If we sign one player in January it simply must be a good midfielder. Against Sheffield United Andreas was absolutely abysmal!
The lack of quality in the middle of the park is criminal and it must be rectified. Mctominay is a half decent player and has done well but we need someone more mature in their prime to hold the middle of the park and get the ball forward to the front players. Not only would it take pressure of the defence but would provide the forwards some service.
Totally agree. Someone to link the team and provide a calming leadership..

always_hoping

Yes it's a priority in January but with Woodward still involved on transfer it won't be a surprise if only a striker is brought in next month.

Hopefully the McTominay knee injury isn't as serious as feared. Matic not even selected on the match day panel today how about a possible deal with juventus to get Emre Can in and take Mr Static off our hands?

Gerald G

We need to try to bring someone on loan or something. Rabiot could be available but I see no harm in looking for others. Emre Can maybe? Not sure but we need to bring someone in.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Herrera sold, Matić almost finished at this level, McTominay damaged knee and Pogba just returned after rehabilitation.

Ffs, it all could be avoided in the summer, but we'll just gonna witness Lingard in midfield, aren't we ?

The speed rate in which football issues are addressed in this club is absolutely despicable. Team will forever be lacking basic things if the club will be run like recently.

RedIan

I keep reading “Fred and McT Are working well”
They are doing ok but that pairing is simply not good enough to win Prem titles, let alone champions league. Its one or the other of them - plus a new world class creative midfielder - plus Pogba.
Fred and McT should be competing for the same spot. Both have proved to be decent players but hardly world class and i feel to consistently dominate teams and keep winning games you need class players in the heart of the team. It really is number 1 priority.

i also read somewhere on here we dont need a striker (Haarland et al) we really do. Martial is injury prone and Greenwood not yet fully ready.. Rashford cant do it alone and is better out wide. .. a strong squad needs 4 quality strikers As in Fergies day - Yorke/Cole Ole/sherringham -

but midfielder first please.

Foxbatt

I keep reading “Fred and McT Are working well”
They are doing ok but that pairing is simply not good enough to win Prem titles, let alone champions league. Its one or the other of them - plus a new world class creative midfielder - plus Pogba.
Fred and McT should be competing for the same spot. Both have proved to be decent players but hardly world class and i feel to consistently dominate teams and keep winning games you need class players in the heart of the team. It really is number 1 priority.

i also read somewhere on here we dont need a striker (Haarland et al) we really do. Martial is injury prone and Greenwood not yet fully ready.. Rashford cant do it alone and is better out wide. .. a strong squad needs 4 quality strikers As in Fergies day - Yorke/Cole Ole/sherringham -

but midfielder first please.
Haarland has gone. So that option is out. I agree with you about McTomminay and Fred. To me we need a quality holding/defensive midfield player plus Fred and Pogba in midfield. That will release Fred and Pogba to be more creative. Fred is a box to box midfield player and so hence will ease the defensive duties of Pogba a lot. My opinion is that technically Fred is a much better player than Scott. And Scot is also not a defensive/ holding midfield player either.

sparx99

Fred is still not good enough but we are at least getting something out of him now as opposed to last year when it was £50m down the drain.

As others have said we need two midfielders. Either a central midfielder and a no 10 or push Pogba forward and get two central midfielders. The good news is there is lots of talented players coming through in this part of the field.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If Pogba will be used as CM most of the games, surely upgrading our no 10 should be considered as the no 1 priority. We cannot rely on Lingard/Mata/Pereira week in week out.