Number 1 priority... Central midfielder!

Gerald G

If Thiago is available then I'd definitely go out for him and then sign a holding midfielder like Partey. Then our midfield could be something like:

Thiago--Partey--Pogba

That midfield would honestly put us up there with the best in the league in my opinion. The problem is that I'd expect Pogba to leave in the summer. I'd also be trying to sign Jude Bellingham from Birmingham but would probably send him back on loan. He's a super talent.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
We definitely need a top class midfielder more than anything else. In my view we haven't had one since Keane left.
That said Carrick, Scholes, Hargreaves Giggs were infinetly better than what we have now.
We messed up in not getting Kante.
We need someone like him.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I'm frankly worried that there aren't even any rumors linking United to a single midfielder. Woodward is probably resting easy with the recent results.

Castia

We definitely need a top class midfielder more than anything else. In my view we haven't had one since Keane left.
That said Carrick, Scholes, Hargreaves Giggs were infinetly better than what we have now.
We messed up in not getting Kante.
We need someone like him.
The amount of cash we’ve spent on midfielders too. Matic, Fred and Pogba is about £180m alone.

Throw in all the others like Schneiderlin, Blind, Fellaini etc.....fecking scary how much money we’ve blown.

VJ1762

Rumor has it Thiago might be available, we'd be crazy not to look into it. He's an amazing footballer.
Wouldn't he go to barcelona though? They already let him go once. Might not let him slip though their fingers again.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The amount of cash we’ve spent on midfielders too. Matic, Fred and Pogba is about £180m alone.

Throw in all the others like Schneiderlin, Blind, Fellaini etc.....fecking scary how much money we’ve blown.
Schneiderlin and Blind money was well recouped, pogba might fetch 150M by himself and Fred isn't doing bad either. Even Fellaini offered excellent service.

You got to refresh, that's inevitable. The days of scholes and giggs hanging around for two decades are long over.

Champagne Football

Get Eriksen and a holding midfielder.

Or Grealish and a holding midfielder.
This is exactly what will happen and only in the summer. Eriksen may be a plan A due to freebie, but he'll probably choose Juventus as they tend to pay 400,000 a week salaries to freebies.
I wouldn't say no at all to Grealish who can rotate with McTominay depending on the opposition, and can play various roles.

Leeds Utd will probably try to hang on to Phillips once they get promoted. But 60 million might change their mind. Declan Rice might be another option. Longstaff seems to be out of sorts but could well be only available summer option.

Grealish and Rice probably seem the most likely midfield signings in the summer. Maybe grab Jude Bellingham too and loan him back to Birmingham. Send Garner and Levitt out on loan.

Chairman Woodie

An additional number 10 perhaps. Unless Solskjaer plays Pogba in the number 10 role with Fred and McTominay behind him.

James Ward

Two proper center midfielders are needed with Pogba who can dominate games, Fred and Scot are above average and not world class, I see Fred more of a number 10 player.

A Fabinho style player and a player who can dictate play. Not sold on Rice and Grealish whatsoever.

Strelok

If Pogba will be used as CM most of the games, surely upgrading our no 10 should be considered as the no 1 priority. We cannot rely on Lingard/Mata/Pereira week in week out.
Pogba is not very solid as a CM in our current double pivot imo. And it'd be a waste to play him there, he'd be much better higher up the pitch I think.

We usually play with 2 CM and we have only 3 capable CM, including Pogba. Considering Pereira, Lingard, Mata all suck as a CM, we're so thin in the CM department. Matic is basically gone. I know he did pretty ok last match but it was largely thanked to the fact that Burnley was out of juice and did almost no pressing. And it's much easier and cheaper to find a solid CM than a good AM, especially in Jan.

Of course it'd be great to add a good AM but if we'd get only a solid CM I'd be more than happy tbh. However as it's end of Dec and we haven't been linked to any CM yet, I doubt that we'd get any this Jan.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Pogba is not very solid as a CM in our current double pivot imo. And it'd be a waste to play him there, he'd be much better higher up the pitch I think.

We usually play with 2 CM and we have only 3 capable CM, including Pogba. Considering Pereira, Lingard, Mata all suck as a CM, we're so thin in the CM department. Matic is basically gone. I know he did pretty ok last match but it was largely thanked to the fact that Burnley was out of juice and did almost no pressing. And it's much easier and cheaper to find a solid CM than a good AM, especially in Jan.

Of course it'd be great to add a good AM but if we'd get only a solid CM I'd be more than happy tbh. However as it's end of Dec and we haven't been linked to any CM yet, I doubt that we'd get any this Jan.
He might not be as solid as what you think but it's probably suitable for us to create more chances by playing him in the CM role against the bottom top 10 team with quality no 10 role.

Strelok

He might not be as solid as what you think but it's probably suitable for us to create more chances by playing him in the CM role against the bottom top 10 team with quality no 10 role.
Agree this will probably work against smaller clubs who sit deep but generally it'd be a very unbalanced midfield.

And a good midfield/team is all about balance imo. Plus finding a good AM in Jan would be very difficult and costly.

A solid CM with a reasonable price is a better solution atm imo. Then we wait to the summer to see whether Pogba will stay or leave and make the big buys if necessary.

Of course if there's a chance for a good AM and the price is reasonable we definitely should go for it. Good AMs are really hard to get these days. However I really doubt there'd be such case this Jan.

DarkChild™

I'm frankly worried that there aren't even any rumors linking United to a single midfielder. Woodward is probably resting easy with the recent results.
Why Woodward? He's not the manager. Ole is the one who should have realised we need a midfielder. Make sure he has proper targets then we can start pointing at Woodward if they aren't brought in.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Agree this will probably work against smaller clubs who sit deep but generally it'd be a very unbalanced midfield.

And a good midfield/team is all about balance imo. Plus finding a good AM in Jan would be very difficult and costly.

A solid CM with a reasonable price is a better solution atm imo. Then we wait to the summer to see whether Pogba will stay or leave and make the big buys if necessary.

Of course if there's a chance for a good AM and the price is reasonable we definitely should go for it. Good AMs are really hard to get these days. However I really doubt there'd be such case this Jan.
A balanced team is needed when you play against top opposition team. But team who are on the bottom 10 or likely to sit deep, risk is needed. Even so, good CM with reasonable price is also in doubt in this January.

Johan07

If Pogba leaves this summer (likely) we will need three midfielders in the nxt two windows (including January). Its going to be tough to get anyone in January so we will be set for a midfield spree this summer.

RedWat

If Pogba will be used as CM most of the games, surely upgrading our no 10 should be considered as the no 1 priority. We cannot rely on Lingard/Mata/Pereira week in week out.
Yep I agree if we replaced Lukaku with say Bruno Fernandes we would have a number 10 that can score goals and make goals. It makes you wonder where we would be now if we had Fernandes in the number 10 rather than Jesse “zero goals, zero assists” Lingard..

croadyman

I can't decide if we need more of a natural DM like Doucoure/Can or a controlling CM like Saul/Havertz. Personally due to our serious lack of depth in the midfield we should be looking at bringing in both types of these players. I hoped we would sign one in January but getting the distinct impression that if we didn't get Haaland then there wasn't going to be anyone coming in.

Strelok

Why Woodward? He's not the manager. Ole is the one who should have realised we need a midfielder. Make sure he has proper targets then we can start pointing at Woodward if they aren't brought in.
Even most of the fans know that we desperately need a midfield so Ole must as well imo.
I can't decide if we need more of a natural DM like Doucoure/Can or a controlling CM like Saul/Havertz. Personally due to our serious lack of depth in the midfield we should be looking at bringing in both types of these players. I hoped we would sign one in January but getting the distinct impression that if we didn't get Haaland then there wasn't going to be anyone coming in.
Doucoure sounds pretty good to me from what I've seen of him. Saul or Havertz sounds more a summer buy imo, it'd be really hard to get them in Jan.
A balanced team is needed when you play against top opposition team. But team who are on the bottom 10 or likely to sit deep, risk is needed. Even so, good CM with reasonable price is also in doubt in this January.
Yeah at this rate I really doubt we'd get any at all this Jan.
We're desperate to a point that now I'd be excited with anyone, as long as he's a midfielder.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
@JPRouve

Is there a reason why clubs haven't gone in for aouar yet? I think I asked you about him before - he looks like magic sometimes.

croadyman

This is exactly what will happen and only in the summer. Eriksen may be a plan A due to freebie, but he'll probably choose Juventus as they tend to pay 400,000 a week salaries to freebies.
I wouldn't say no at all to Grealish who can rotate with McTominay depending on the opposition, and can play various roles.

Leeds Utd will probably try to hang on to Phillips once they get promoted. But 60 million might change their mind. Declan Rice might be another option. Longstaff seems to be out of sorts but could well be only available summer option.

Grealish and Rice probably seem the most likely midfield signings in the summer. Maybe grab Jude Bellingham too and loan him back to Birmingham. Send Garner and Levitt out on loan.
I just wish we would look outside of the UK market for signings too because at least then you aren't paying the extra premium that comes when signing any british players. I am desperate for this club to show me that they can look at the european market because right now I cannot see any non british signings under this regime.

Champagne Football

I just wish we would look outside of the UK market for signings too because at least then you aren't paying the extra premium that comes when signing any british players. I am desperate for this club to show me that they can look at the european market because right now I cannot see any non british signings under this regime.
I think Ole's preference, if he is to look outside England, is to purchase from leagues where the climate and football style is closer to England, such as in France and Germany. I think we'll buy from Italy and Spain if there's a deal that is too good to be true, but Ole's philosophy will be to prioritise players who will see Man Utd as their final career destination, and not players who might see us as a stepping stone.
Ole probably has until December 2020 to show if he's the right man or not. I think he'll succeed with another summer of signings such as Grealish, Rice, and possibly even Jadon Sancho, but without top 4, its unlikely he'll come here.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think Ole's preference, if he is to look outside England, is to purchase from leagues where the climate and football style is closer to England, such as in France and Germany. I think we'll buy from Italy and Spain if there's a deal that is too good to be true, but Ole's philosophy will be to prioritise players who will see Man Utd as their final career destination, and not players who might see us as a stepping stone.
Ole probably has until December 2020 to show if he's the right man or not. I think he'll succeed with another summer of signings such as Grealish, Rice, and possibly even Jadon Sancho, but without top 4, its unlikely he'll come here.
Pretty much this. And I for one, am extremely happy with this policy. We want people who see Utd as th pinnacle of their career, and not merely another string in th bow. I understand that given our present state we not be able to sign the absolute elite talents with this policy, but it'll be beneficial in the long run.

Man Utd needs to act like a big club and that includes not signing players who for a minute think of us as a stepping stone. For most British and northern European players, the PL is the dream league and Utd one of its biggest draws, so it makes sense to try and buy players from these leagues, rather than from La liga who ultimately will always see Real or Barca as the pinnacle of their career.

oz insomniac

No matter who Ole identifies, the real issue is that the negotiations are dependent on Woody pulling his finger out and getting things done quickly and efficiently. Something that has been lacking with comments like one signing at a time etc

This January window should be the start of the comprehensive strengthening as we are closed than we perhaps expected to the top 4 , but how much faith can we have in the Glazers puppet, not sure at all.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@JPRouve

Is there a reason why clubs haven't gone in for aouar yet? I think I asked you about him before - he looks like magic sometimes.
Because he wasn't for sale and as far as I know he had no intention to move yet.

Pretty much this. And I for one, am extremely happy with this policy. We want people who see Utd as th pinnacle of their career, and not merely another string in th bow. I understand that given our present state we not be able to sign the absolute elite talents with this policy, but it'll be beneficial in the long run.

Man Utd needs to act like a big club and that includes not signing players who for a minute think of us as a stepping stone. For most British and northern European players, the PL is the dream league and Utd one of its biggest draws, so it makes sense to try and buy players from these leagues, rather than from La liga who ultimately will always see Real or Barca as the pinnacle of their career.
I agree. It’s not about signing British players - but we need to stop signing the likes of Di Maria, Falcao, Lukuku, Schweinsteiger etc that just see us as a club who pays their wages.

Utd will continue to sign good foreign players, anyone who suggests otherwise is wrong. However, clearly mentality is important to OGS, and quite rightly so - and the three players he’s brought in have that. I doubt we are going to see Maguire, James or AWB sulking and looking to move any time soon - that can’t be said of most of the players we have bought in the last 6 years.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
So word on the street is that McT will miss two months. Absolutely no excuses whatsoever now, we simply HAVE to strengthen the midfield in January.

AneRu

No matter who Ole identifies, the real issue is that the negotiations are dependent on Woody pulling his finger out and getting things done quickly and efficiently. Something that has been lacking with comments like one signing at a time etc

This January window should be the start of the comprehensive strengthening as we are closed than we perhaps expected to the top 4 , but how much faith can we have in the Glazers puppet, not sure at all.
Right on, we can identify as good a player as any but its dependent on our negotiating team's ability to seal deals efficiently and in reasonable time. With Woodward's history on this aspect of the club there isn't much hope that we will suddenly become good at this as long as he is still in charge.

jamesjimmybyrondean

How is Lewis Cook doing? I haven't seen him often but wasn't he highly rated. He also fits what we're looking for; British, CM, creative and he has Pl experience. Could be worth a try in January

Eric's Seagull

So word on the street is that McT will miss two months. Absolutely no excuses whatsoever now, we simply HAVE to strengthen the midfield in January.
I really hope that McTominay is not out for that lot as I feel we will struggle bad. Totally agree with the part in bold. We have a fair chance to get 4th and also do well in the Europa and I would hate to see the potential chance of gaining Champions League qualification ruined by inadequate recruitment in January.

BigLebowski007

We definitelly need AM and CM, even before McT injury. But yeah, the market in January is poor and expensive. With Euro 2020 maybe we could try target some high profile players who aren't getting enough playing time at the moment. Though I can't think of any such example. Eriksen maybe, but he has a guaranteed spot in national team even if he doesn't step on football field untill summer. How are Joao Felix and Lemar doing at Atletico? Surely they don't need both do they :D
Gedson Fernandes could be a great purchase for normal price as well.
Maybe Bruno Fernandes could be purchased even after new contract.

BigLebowski007

How is Lewis Cook doing? I haven't seen him often but wasn't he highly rated. He also fits what we're looking for; British, CM, creative and he has Pl experience. Could be worth a try in January
He is just making a comeback after injury I think. But haven't watched him much.

Need to add here as I can't make another post :D : there's that kid Tonali from Brescia as well, he plays DMC/MC. He was mentioned already in connection with United (but who wasn't tbh).

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The excuse if you can call it that, is that January isn't a favorable period, particularly just before a summer tournament. Players will be wary to move and put themselves in an adaption period while their clubs probably have something to play for and will hesitate or simply refuse to let an important player leave in the middle of the season.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
What do people think of Roma's Nicolo Zaniolo for ACM / #10 role?

For me it is amazing that somebody this tall is so good on the ball. Nice combination. He's also very young, which is great because adapting to EPL will be easier, and it's quite impressive he already made the national team.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Not strengthening our midfield now McT has been ruled out for 2 months would be nuts. Seriously nuts.

We’re not far off 4th and we cannot rely on Pogba right now. We have been building a bit of momentum and substance to our play and if we don’t capitalise on that and add a decent player now we will leave ourselves with a weaker midfield until March.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Not strengthening our midfield now McT has been ruled out for 2 months would be nuts. Seriously nuts.

We’re not far off 4th and we cannot rely on Pogba right now. We have been building a bit of momentum and substance to our play and if we don’t capitalise on that and add a decent player now we will leave ourselves with a weaker midfield until March.
Who on earth do you expect us to bring in that will be able to perform from day 1? Look at players like Fabinho, Keita and Fred, they all needed time. Same with Ndombele this year.

dev1l

Who on earth do you expect us to bring in that will be able to perform from day 1? Look at players like Fabinho, Keita and Fred, they all needed time. Same with Ndombele this year.
A PL proven player is the best bet