"Number 19 > Champions League"

RK

League league league, every single time the league.

I hated Chelsea being champions more than I hated losing in 2009. Maybe winning the CL has a more euphoric feeling at the time, but winning the league is a different emotion and one that gives greater satisfaction in my opinion.

MUFAN79

Number 19 for me (this year)...but tbh I think we will win both competitions.
Maybe it's too optimistic but I believe we have the ability to do this.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
"19" absolute no brainer!

19+ the ECL final = a very good season
19+ WINNING the ECL = awesome season
WINNING ECL, and 2nd in the Prem = okay season

(I dont want to consider any other options!)

I can only assume than any United fan who thinks ECL > Prem is too young to remember how hard it was to win the Prem in the first place

pauldyson1uk

You've got little chance of winning the CL and you're probably going to win the PL.
utter bollocks , barring a disaster we are in the Final and have just has good a chance as Barcelona to win it.
OK I can admit that Barcelona may have the better team but its a one off game and anything can happen.
To say we have no chance is either stupid or just sour grapes.

kietotheworld

I can only assume than any United fan who thinks ECL > Prem is too young to remember how hard it was to win the Prem in the first place
Winning the European Cup is hardly a walk in the fecking park either, I don't know how you can say it would be merely an 'okay season' to win the most prestigious trophy in club football.

Doevle

Oh dear.

finneh

Champions League every time. In fact I'd take the Champions League this year over number 19 this year and 20 next year.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto

Talking like if winning the ECL is easy at all. To each his own preferences regarding to what trophy they like more, but to deny that the ECL is the most important club competition in world football, and overall pinnacle of the sport, is a bit naive. That's were the best clubs and players in the world are, period.

I can guarantee you as an outsider that people remember the ECL winners for far longer than the National League ones.

I do reckon it takes a bit of the shine of winning it if one can't win it's National League in the same year as well, as the later is a measure of consistency while the former is a measure of big-game capacity.

pauldyson1uk

:wenger: would be a disaster , no matter what we do in the CL

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Champions League every time. In fact I'd take the Champions League this year over number 19 this year and 20 next year.
Yep, I'd even go one further. I'd take Champions League over number 19 this year and, if we have not won it by next year, I'd make the same choice again and choose for yet another CL title over it.

Care_de_Bobo

I think they're modified by what's likely.
I think you do actually have a point. I mean the league's great to win obviously and especially for bragging rights but no other footballing moment can come close in terms of emotion and excitement for me compared to that night in Barcelona back in 99.

I'd rather we got revenge on Barca than overtook Liverpools league haul if only for the fact that they are to me closer rivals in a pure footballing sense at the minute. Obviously that rivalry will always be there purely for historical and geographic reasons but it is an insult to our team to consider them actual rivals on the pitch at the minute.

We are definitely more likely to win the league but if Fergie could mastermind a victory at Wembley against this current Barcelona side it would be one of his greatest achievements up there with 99, winning that first title after 26 years and putting Chelsea and Abramovich in their place after it looked likely they would dominate for years to come.

Number7

Ret's Slave
I'd rather win the Champions League, but I don't want to go into the Champions League final having fecked up the league...it would basically become an all or nothing game.

eric le roi

Both the league and the CL have basically come down to one game to decide each:

Assuming we get past Schalke (which we should) then it's a one-off game v Barca.

This weekend's game v Chelsea is effectively a one match decider - whoever wins it will win the league in my opinion. If it's a draw, United are favourites for the title.

For me it's the league but would be very nice to do Barcelona in the CL.

People would rather win the CL over the PL? You serious? You do realise that means either Chelsea or Arsenal would be champions?

Number7

Ret's Slave
Both the league and the CL have basically come down to one game to decide each:

Assuming we get past Schalke (which we should) then it's a one-off game v Barca.

This weekend's game v Chelsea is effectively a one match decider - whoever wins it will win the league in my opinion. If it's a draw, United are favourites for the title.

For me it's the league but would be very nice to do Barcelona in the CL.

People would rather win the CL over the PL? You serious? You do realise that means either Chelsea or Arsenal would be champions?
It means we'd have won our 4th european cup. The biggest competition in club football.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
That thought can only look far-fetched if you think English football is the top of the world. A bit like the early mentality of English teams being to good to participate in international competitions. It's getting a bit old. CL > PL anywhere in the world, safe for the particularity of the historical significance of this "19" one.

spinoza

Paz's ion

No, not at all. You needed to win the league to get in. You don't these days, but it's even harder to win now.

Whenever I watch an European match I always think of the Babes, and Sir Matt Busby's vision, and how fate took our finest team and only allowed Sir Matt to realise his vision far, far too late. We should have been a team like Real Madrid were once upon a time - winning the league would have been just the first step to our assault on the European Cup.

Ol Big Ears beats the league for me, but they're not really that far apart.