"Number 19 > Champions League"

Joey Mac

He scores goals, galore. Betfair "Refer and E
This is something I've seen posted many times on here throughout the season, and increasingly so as we have approached the latter stages of the season. It is an opinion I have agreed with strongly in the past, and I have championed the opinion that the league should be the priority going into any season, with anything else an added bonus.

However, reliving past Champions League glories has me questioning this philosophy, and the obvious and more than understandable fondness that is associated with viewing clips of the '99 goals and '08 shootout from others had me thinking. These moments seem to be ones that stick out in many people's minds as some of the greatest they attribute to the club. It could be argued that these are remembered so highly because so much action with so much at stake was packed into such a short time, when compared to the achievement of topping the table after 38 games.

When people talk of winning this season's league being more important, would it be the same if we were already 1 title clear of Liverpool? Or is it because losing out on the title from the seemingly unassailable position we were in would be more devastating than beating Barcelona in the final would be elating?

If the Champions League is the greatest club competition in the world, as many claim it to be, then how can the Premiership take precedence over it? Real Madrid's 9 CL wins are used to back up the argument that they are the biggest club in the world, with our 3 paling in comparison. Teams are defined by their performances and achievements in Europe, yet many would throw that away for domestic success.

To be clear, this isn't a thread to criticise people's preferences or priorities (which is rather hypothetical anyway, really), but more to look at it from a different perspective as I have begun to recently.

Devil may care

I think it's passing Liverpool that make it so important for some, plus the fact it seems more attainable than the CL for which we'd need to beat UEFA FC. Personally I really want at least one more CL on Fergie's resume' more than anything before he goes.

Irwin

It's probably partly due to being surrounded by rival fans and the bragging rights that come with winning the league. It's easier to get over a loss when you're not constantly reminded of it by colleagues, friends, family, down the pub etc.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
19 is a special one. I'd never in any circumstance trade an European trophy (even the Europa League) for my national league, because opportunities to win it are rare, and those are the trophies that define a club's greatness towards the rest of the world. Saying that Porto has 2 Champions League trophy is something I can throw in the face whenever an ignorant Chelsea or Arsenal supporter comes around me saying we're small time, and this doesn't happen as rarely as one might think.

Everyone who likes football regards AC Milan's seven Champions Leagues, Real's nine or Liverpool's five as truly great feats, but many of these don't really know how many national leagues they have, unless they follow their league more specifically.

So I think it matters whether you value more the way your club is recognized in your country or the way it is recognized to the rest of the world. That said, 19 is a special number for United, and I too am sure that if eventually in a few years from now Porto is tied with Benfica in terms of National titles, on that year I know it will be more important than usual. Since we're not usually candidates for a Champions League anyway, it's unlikely we'll be faced with that "choice", but if it's one of those rare years when we feel we have a chance I think I'd still take it and hope the "19" came the following season.

Widnes

The league is the one you play for every week for 8/9 months competing with clubs you have more of a rivalary with thats what makes it more important the champions league to me.

Not to say the CL wouldn't make it a bit easier to get over the loss of the league as it's always a special moment but the league is what the football season is all about.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think they're modified by what's likely.
Number 19's been priority numero uno since May 2008. It's been the holy grail for over a decade.

A Champions League title - as magical as each one has been for us (as is the case with most) - doesn't get near that level of significance.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Ye it is all about 19 - usually I would always pick CL over PL but not this season

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
I change my mind almost daily on this. Part of me is screaming for no.19 and to become unquestionably the greatest club in the land, the other, more logical part of me says that we should be competing for the league most years for the forseeable, whilst chances to win the Champions League come around much less frequently.

Honestly, right now, seeing how good this Barca team are and how special it would be to beat them, I'd go 51% for the Champions League. It feels strange even thinking anything could be bigger than no.19 though, and I'm sure I'll feel differently at circa 16:10 on Sunday afternoon. feck it I was even saying differently to someone earlier that as long as we have 19 before the final, it won't be too crushing to lose.

You know what, just either thanks.

#19. After that we'll talk about the CL.
Losing either of them will be devastating to me considering the situation we find ourselves in. First we must do our job of winning #19, then give blood, sweat and tears for that European cup.

We've sacrificed too much to our rivals recently and that's got to stop. Show no fear to Chelsea or Barcelona.

The Azzurri

PL is 8 mths of hard work over 38 games. You win the league, no one can say you are lucky.

Lance Uppercut

League, but not by much. We really should have more CL wins for a club our size.

Stretch

I think the significance of winning number 19 overshadows the CL this season. As much is the CL is magical, the feat of surpassing Liverpool in terms of domestic titles will be phenomenal. I also think it is 'easier' to get number 19 than beating Barca at this stage though that would be something special. Having said that, we still have to beat Schalke.

Northstand

The league without a doubt, and not even primarily because of the No 19 issue. I just can't bear the thought of John "it's United's turn to watch us win it for the next few years" Terry strutting around with the trophy.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The Premiership.

I'd be gutted as I was when we lost it to Leeds couple of decades back. Winning the Champions league final would never make up the disappointment of losing the title.

Redrage

Obviously Premier league has to be the priority but having coming this far I'd be pissed if we don't reach the final at the very least.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I want both but if I had to pick one it would be Champions League.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
To me the league is always more important, this year more than ever, besides it taking more to win it. CL winners who aren't champions of their own league always just seems a little hollow to me.

Don't get me wrong, the CL is massive and I'd love us to win it but I see it as more of bonus than a necessity.

I'm never as disappointed by not winning the CL as I am if we lose the league.

For me it stems back to supporting Utd at a time when all Utd fans craved a league title so badly, that feeling has never left me.

People of my generation are incredibly lucky to have been able to see 2 of this great clubs 3 European titles and 3 of our 4 finals. While it's disappointing to lose a final IMO Utd fans shouldn't let losing a final devalue the experience of actually seeing your team play a European final.

Ask Arsenal or Chelsea fans if they'd like to have seen their club in more European finals, win or lose.

kietotheworld

The European Cup. Personally I don't consider the whole winning to compete with other clubs records thing to be that important, but if you do consider this. Domestically we're the No. 1 club without a doubt already - we have the joint highest amount of Leagues, more FA Cups than anyone else and more trophies outright, another Premier League would only confirm that. In Europe we are currently behind several clubs, including Liverpool, and if we lose to Barcelona, we will be behind another.

Opportunities to make a mark in Europe are very rare - should we qualify, this will be only our 5th European Cup Final, it's more important to seize an opportunity like that than to win a domestic title we challenge for every year, and over the last 18 years, we normally win.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I dunno in the big scheme of things I think liverpools CL and final the year after don't mean as much considering they've not won the league in 20 years.

MUFCgal

All season, it's been about number 19 for me. Yes, I'd love for us to win another CL as well, but the league is the priority (this year at least). We're so close and I would be sick to my stomach seeing those Chelski feckers parading round with the trophy and Terry giving it his usual 'big man' routine.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
The European Cup. Personally I don't consider the whole winning to compete with other clubs records thing to be that important, but if you do consider this. Domestically we're the No. 1 club without a doubt already - we have the joint highest amount of Leagues, more FA Cups than anyone else and more trophies outright, another Premier League would only confirm that. In Europe we are currently behind several clubs, including Liverpool, and if we lose to Barcelona, we will be behind another.

Opportunities to make a mark in Europe are very rare - should we qualify, this will be only our 5th European Cup Final, it's more important to seize an opportunity like that than to win a domestic title we challenge for every year, and over the last 18 years, we normally win.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Once we pass Liverpool in terms of PL titles, we need to make the CL as important.
Making it bit obsessive about Liverpool aren't we? We need to win for ourselves not to surpass anyone else.Where does it end? Do we then make Real Madrid the next target and go for 10 UCL titles?

Blair

Making it bit obsessive about Liverpool aren't we? We need to win for ourselves not to surpass anyone else.Where does it end? Do we then make Real Madrid the next target and go for 10 UCL titles?
Liverpool are our bitter rivals, it's only natural to get a tad obsessive about surpassing their achievements.

Madrid's 9 CL titles dont bother me one bit - their fans dont rub it in our faces like Liverpool do.

kietotheworld

SFraser

Rest in Peace
I don't buy into this "League is a priority" business. We are a good enough club that we should be aiming to win the league and the Champions League every year.

We are two European victories away from needing one more European Cup to equal Liverpools record. League + European Cup over everything else in football as far as I am concerned. It's a travesty that this club has not won more European Cups and that Ferguson has not won more European Cups. And I will tell you something else, when he eventually does retire you can bet your life that his lack of European Cups will be used to argue he wasn't the greatest manager the game has seen.

It's not an either-or question for me. For me these two trophies are the heart of every season for this club.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's a very tough one.

I said the league at the start of the season and easily. But over the course of the season I've remembered the significance of the CL and why it is indeed the biggest prize in club football. But now that our lead has been cut down it would be shattering to lose the league from the lead we had. On the other hand, it would be shattering to lose two CL finals in 3 years to the same team.

feck this is hard.

Talking Vulture

He's shit, move on.
It's always the league every year for me but you can't help but get wrapped up in the Champions League. If Chelsea pip us to the title and we win the European Cup, I'll be fecking buzzing all summer

amolbhatia50k

It's always the league every year for me but you can't help but get wrapped up in the Champions League. If Chelsea pip us to the title and we win the European Cup, I'll be fecking buzzing all summer
I reckon I would too. It's a very hard choice to make. We have a chance to make history in both cases.

Blair

We win the league most seasons, the CL comes around once in blue moon.

The satisfaction of winning the CL is far far greater than the PL imo, plus we get a shot to become world champions, which is a nice title to have.

amolbhatia50k

Champions of Europe. fecking hell, that sounds brilliant, doesn't it?

Also, we'd have to beat Barcelona to win the CL, which would bring the club immense glory. Probably more than a Chelsea side that's not been great.

On the other it's the premier league. That's our competition. To lose after the lead we've had...

This is pointless!