Odion Ighalo - 6 month loan deal done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil81

As much as I have my doubts about the lad I feel the situation is desperate and if we want to win Europa or get top four then this is a must.

SER19

Mental really

Though I think the complaints are in the general planning rather than the player himself.

We knew as soon as Rash got injured we needed something.
Yeah I fully agree that messing round on deadline day is classic Woodward. But if we sign a top forward in summer a loan deal now is actually sensible.

But this is how it works.

'if we don't get a striker it shows we have no ambition'

We go for a striker, linked with King

'ffs not him!! For 27m I can get the next Messi from the Hungarian second division, this club has no scouts whatsoever.'

United are linked with unknown argentine.

'15m on an unproven player. Yeah, that will help us get 4th.'

United linked with loan deal

'okay good, we can get a player in and save funds for genuine targets in summer'

United linked with ighalo

'the state of this club!!'

'brexit fc!!'

United sign Portuguese player.

'ehhh.... Brexit fc!!'

Or some version of above

MAME DIOUF 32

4 hours to go. Just get a player. Ighalo has done a good job in the PL before and our options up front are Martial, Greenwood, then it's expecting Lingard or James or Mata to do a job they're clearly not capable of.

SER19

Imagine people being pissed off that the club had not planed since summer to sign a forward in Jan when it knew it had a shortage especially when Martial got injured. Spin ey
It is spin. We managed the squad poorly and didn't replace a body up front. There is consensus that this was poor. At new year our front 3 were out scoring Liverpools and we seemingly gambled on fitness, I can only assume by weighing up potential January deals vs summer ones. Big backfire, trying to be corrected with common sense deal.

The spinsters have basically trip wired any conversation about the club the same way an angry feminist does. There's barely sense opening a discussion

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Yeah I fully agree that messing round on deadline day is classic Woodward. But if we sign a top forward in summer a loan deal now is actually sensible.

But this is how it works.

'if we don't get a striker it shows we have no ambition'

We go for a striker, linked with King

'ffs not him!! For 27m I can get the next Messi from the Hungarian second division, this club has no scouts whatsoever.'

United are linked with unknown argentine.

'15m on an unproven player. Yeah, that will help us get 4th.'

United linked with loan deal

'okay good, we can get a player in and save funds for genuine targets in summer'

United linked with ighalo

'the state of this club!!'

'brexit fc!!'

United sign Portuguese player.

'ehhh.... Brexit fc!!'

Or some version of above
Oh without doubt. Agreed.

As long as that striker for the summer is being lined up now..rather than some point in August :lol:

el3mel

As much as I have my doubts about the lad I feel the situation is desperate and if we want to win Europa or get top four then this is a must.
He's not going to make any difference. He's just a terrible striker. Hardly a solution for anything. Will just take minutes from Greenwood and won't be worth it

Hopefully it doesn't happen.

SER19

Oh without doubt. Agreed.

As long as that striker for the summer is being lined up now..rather than some point in August :lol:
I'm trying to be optimistic on this front given I've liked our last 4 signings more than the previous 20 or so. Though Woodward fills me with doubt.

Mark Pawelek

With 2h 45 minutes of the transfer window to go I won't argue against this. I will argue: this squad was unbalanced last summer. Injuries left us even more unbalanced in January. Need better planning. We should've signed some players this January. In particular a striker and defensive midfield centre. No reason we couldn't have picked some up from South America. The Adolfo Gaich guy, who literally did break his nose to score, has a buyout clause of £14m. Not saying we should've signed him, but there are many others available for less than a broken Sanchez piano player.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

He's not going to make any difference. He's just a terrible striker. Hardly a solution for anything. Will just take minutes from Greenwood and won't be worth it

He turned Barcelona last year, as well as a few big clubs before moving to China for the money, so that's clearly not true.

SER19

Somebody HAS to take minutes from Greenwood. He's just turned 18 this season. We're in 3 competitions. Even if it's the last 20 minutes in a game we're leading or for example a good cup draw or second leg tie after a good 1st leg win. Solskjaer must see something in his physicality that he thinks will be a useful option. If Greenwood does his hamstring? Play reliably fit martial until May I guess?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Even though he’s a fellow Nigerian, and I’d love nothing more than one of my people at United, but Ighalo is dead food. I still can’t forgive him for his performance against Argentina in the last World Cup which got us eliminated. Missed some great chances.

If he can squeeze his Watford form out of himself, then he’d be an asset on loan for sure.

el3mel

Somebody HAS to take minutes from Greenwood. He's just turned 18 this season. We're in 3 competitions. Even if it's the last 20 minutes in a game we're leading or for example a good cup draw or second leg tie after a good 1st leg win. Solskjaer must see something in his physicality that he thinks will be a useful option. If Greenwood does his hamstring? Play reliably fit martial until May I guess?
I have no problem with a striker taking minutes from Greenwood when that striker is going to helpful, not shite, like this guy. He's terrible.

His performance thread will just be a fun to read throughout the remainder of the season.

Adamsk7

I’d be ok with him on loan. We need a 6 month quick fix. Ighalo isn’t fantastic but he was very good initially at Watford and I remember some big clubs being linked with him. If he comes in, he’ll no doubt be absolutely pumped to play for us and MAY rekindle enough form based on pure adrenaline to see us through a few months until Rashford is for and firing again.
Really he’s just someone to be on the bench if we need to throw on players who know where the goal is.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Imagine people being pissed off that the club had not planed since summer to sign a forward in Jan when it knew it had a shortage especially when Martial got injured. Spin ey
You're right about all of that but we are where we are (i.e. a few hours til deadline) so what's the issue with it? Literally can't do any harm but could have an upside.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The club is aware Rashford plays on the left right? So if we need emergency loan cover it shouldn’t be an out and out striker. And especially not Ighalo ffs.

Fooza

You just know come summer we're going to be in a mess again, the scouting, the planning, the negotiating everything that is needed to get players over the line - we're just so terrible at.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
With 2h 45 minutes of the transfer window to go I won't argue against this. I will argue: this squad was unbalanced last summer. Injuries left us even more unbalanced in January. Need better planning. We should've signed some players this January. In particular a striker and defensive midfield centre. No reason we couldn't have picked some up from South America. The Adolfo Gaich guy, who literally did break his nose to score, has a buyout clause of £14m. Not saying we should've signed him, but there are many others available for less than a broken Sanchez piano player.
Gaich has a £11.5m buyout clause according to reports.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Is this because Rashford is injured?
Yes and not replacing Lukaku. That’s obviously been met with a lot of criticism but I’d rather wait until we get the target we feel fits. This is a perfect 6 month zero risk option.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The club is aware Rashford plays on the left right? So if we need emergency loan cover it shouldn’t be an out and out striker. And especially not Ighalo ffs.
It's a body for the bench to come on and try and grab a goal if we need one. Rashford's position is largely irrelevant

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He's pretty much the kind of bargain basement striker you could use off the bench to put away some chances created by Bruno, Mata etc. On a 6 month loan deal, its hard to complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.