Odion Ighalo: Manchester United player on loan until the end of the season

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think he will score between 5 to 9 goals and become a cult hero. There will be pressure to turn his deal to permanent. Which the board will succumb to. All plans to get a top striker will be abandoned. He will then have a massive goal drought and we will be begging the board to get a new striker in January.
Doesn't fit the profile.

Plus he is on 300k/week. Think there might be competition at that price range.

Sad Chris

Oh ffs, you prefer Washington Post ? Or BBC ? CNN ? NYT ? Or you don't like left wing sources? Here's a right wing one: Breitbart . Stop being a stubborn contrarian.
No need to feel offended. I live in China and am personally affected because I frequently travel between China and HK. You posted something incorrect, I offered a correction. No more, no less.

And generally, I’m old-fashioned, I prefer my sources to not lean in any direction other than fact-based truth.

Last edited:

cyril C

His recent stats and performances from China do not inspire confidence but I suspect motivation was a big issue there as well , you don't go to China to win things you go to pick up a pay cheque regardless of how well you play.

His motivation levels should ratchet up from near zero to 100 with this move , this is an unbelievable chance for him to set his legacy as a player, I just hope he turns up in good physical condition as he has not got a lot of time to impress.
Motivation never an issue, cost to us is manageable, but fitness no. They just have end of season so he is probably a few KG overweight. Impact sub for a few games perhaps.

Highlyevolved

Really cool story but like has already been pointed out to you travel from China to pretty much anywhere is still open so even thinking he’d be in quarantine was very questionable.
Don’t let facts get in the way of hysteria.;)

Jambalaya

No he won't and I don't understand how you can compare him to those players. Ighalo actually played at a decent level in the PL.
Sorry , but i just do not rate him.He had only one good season in epl.His best 3 seasons are in Segunda Division B,Championship and Chinese L.

DFreshKing

He's an actual striker, with a decent record and experience. Something we have not had this season and even in the previous few we certainly haven't had a hard working Striker. He's going to surprise a lot of people and will be a starter for most of the rest of the season.

Caritas

A 15 minute interview is out with him on the united app. Just go watch it, thats what i call an honest speech, im in love with the guy already.

Lemansky

A 15 minute interview is out with him on the united app. Just go watch it, thats what i call an honest speech, im in love with the guy already.
Great watch. He seems like a superb character.

Alabaster Codify7

He seems a tidy bloke and I'd have no issue with us retaining him permanently if he puts in a shift, albeit on a much reduced salary and NOT as our only striking reinforcement.

Next season (if Ighalo does well), I'd be happy with:

Rashford/Martial/Ighalo/NEW TOP STRIKER as our four options with Greenwood spending a full season on loan at a good club where he'll start regularly.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Watched it, it was very good. I thought he might cry any moment.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Love the interview. He's so fecking happy and motivated to be here. You know his aim is make himself go from undesirable to undeniable during these few months and make it a permanent move. He doesn't need to say it, but you just know this what he wants.

Very pleasing to hear him identifying the lack of a focal point centre forward in the recent United game he has watched. Hopefully he gets more out of Martial too.

Noc-Z

ffs
Martial is very likely to embarras most of the posters here, once we get PP and Bruno. Ighalo could struggle really badly with the pace of the Prem. If I was to choose between Ighalo and Lukaku, I'd definetely go for the latter.
I don't think so - Martial joined in 2015 and has shown very little desire.

Mr. Ant

I watched a new YouTube interview with this guy Ighalo and he was asked where he had played before. The moment he mentioned NORWAY I was like “oh no way Ole, honestly, ha,ha.. Just like Oghalo’s countryman Mame Birouf Diouf (spelling not correct). Does this Oghala
have some financial interest with Ole’s agent Solbakken or what and why is Ole always trying to bring here more Norwegian friends and/or former players from Cardiff i.e. Joshua King, Haaland (do not want and we can’t get him anyway). These are HIS players clearly from before or in his shopping league. Sorry to say this guys but my beloved club is in a sorry state
Well Ed couldn't find a striker so Ole had to rely on his past contacts imo.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Martial is very likely to embarras most of the posters here, once we get PP and Bruno. Ighalo could struggle really badly with the pace of the Prem. If I was to choose between Ighalo and Lukaku, I'd definetely go for the latter.
Motivated Lukaku > Motivated Igahlo > Wantaway Lukaku

Unfortunately, Lukaku didn't want to be here and frankly you could tell at times.

sglowrider

roonster09

Scout

roonster09

Scout
Ole's evil for having a network, like every other professional in the entire world.
I just don't understand some of the posts. People search for reasons to be outraged or put their tinfoil hat on.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Nice interview. Be surprised if he scores many, because we don't create much and his finishing is pretty bad.

Whiteside '85

He will still get his full wage, we are just not paying all of it. He has a contract.
Update after Odion Ighalo interview.

It seems he has taken a pay cut. So I'm back to being impressed with the committment shown. Would be nice to have a fan banging in the goals. Hope this move confounds expectations.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Seems like a very nice chap. Wish him the best. However I am more worried about his fitness, having played in China. Hard to come into the squad midwinter and get up to speed. His stats from China seems good though, many dribbles, shots on goal etc. Will be able to hold on to the ball and deliver it to the other forwards or midfielders on runs. I hope he surprises everyone.

Also, for the tin-foil hat persons here regarding Ighalo having played in Norway, that was in 2007 for the club Lyn, which had no connection to Ole, Ole being in Manchester at that time and starting on his coach license later that year.

Reactions: Penna

sglowrider

Seems like a very nice chap. Wish him the best. However I am more worried about his fitness, having played in China. Hard to come into the squad midwinter and get up to speed. His stats from China seems good though, many dribbles, shots on goal etc. Will be able to hold on to the ball and deliver it to the other forwards or midfielders on runs. I hope he surprises everyone.

Also, for the tin-foil hat persons here regarding Ighalo having played in Norway, that was in 2007 for the club Lyn, which had no connection to Ole, Ole being in Manchester at that time and starting on his coach license later that year.
Never let the truth get in the way of a good conspiracy.

Judas

Open to offers
I always want our new signings to do well, obviously, but there's something about this where I would just take so much pleasure and joy if it all goes great for him. It's a great story.

Adamsk7

What a cracking interview. I think no matter what happens, he is going to give his everything for our team. This is a stark contrast to some of the attitudes we’ve been used to and so for that, we should al get behind him. It might take him a while to get up to speed but I’ve got a funny feeling adrenaline and desire are gonna take him to a higher level than he’s achieved in his career previously.

I’d be really happy if he does well and we Lee him tbh. We should still buy a striker in the summer but we need four good ones and I think both Rashford and Martial are better as wide forwards