Odion Ighalo: Manchester United player on loan until the end of the season

Hughie77

Issues will be how match ready is he! Hasn't played for a while out there, plus points he's been to prem before knows how physical it can be, hopefully he can at least hold up the ball, to bring others on, not enough of that with Martial, or even Lukaku . He may even get us a headed goal! Not many of them so far.
Good news is the winter break should give us some time to get the training in.
If he hits the ground running it would be a massive plus, going into Europa league and rest of the F.A cup, and maybe the league push for top 4, but that's going to be tough.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Am I the only person that can see him starting every game?
Martial needs a break or a kick up the arse or something else entirely, but he's clearly struggling. James is desperately struggling for confidence, Greenwood doesn't look quite ready to start often, and Pereira and Lingard have proven they're not quite up to standard. So yeah he's got an easy in to begin with and it would be strange if he couldn't maintain his place while Rashford was out.

Which is quite sad really. Aside from the hopeful punts on Manucho and Dong, I can't remember us signing a striker anywhere near Ighalo's level of mediocrity since god knows how long. Maybe Bellion but I'd put him in the same bucket as the other two, likewise with Diouf and some other forgettable folks. Young with no expectation of delivering in the short term. Signing Ighalo is the lowest we've dropped to, prestige wise. I'm glad the club are pragmatic but feck me how did we end up there.

Tapori

Will surprise many with a combination of will, enjoyment and decent skill.
The key thing is he wants to be here and that motivation cannot be discounted.
Imagine you're being paid loads to save up for when you retire with a bit left in your tank and your boyhood club calls you to help save their season.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I reckon the lad's box office. Ice cold.

manuchamp88

Really cool story but like has already been pointed out to you travel from China to pretty much anywhere is still open so even thinking he’d be in quarantine was very questionable.
Yeah, great. And you could hop on a plan to Pakistan too, doesn't mean you should. Guess what? The Cantonese want the border closed with China as infections rated are going up and up and HK is nowhere near Wuhan. Again, just because it's possible to do something, doesn't mean it's right.

Red00012

It will be some boot up the hole for Martial when he gets dropped for a 30 year old boyhood Utd supporter signed from China.

croadyman

He has said all the right things about wanting to be at the club,however being able to deliver on the pitch is a different matter.

I would absolutely love him to make these ABU pundits and critics eat their words. I realise that is a massive ask but sometimes these unknown quantities can really surprise you.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

It was a desperate last minute transfer and we are being ridiculed by pundits and journalists because of it. So I would love nothing more than for him to play well and nab a couple goals!

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It was a desperate last minute transfer and we are being ridiculed by pundits and journalists because of it. So I would love nothing more than for him to play well and nab a couple goals!
Two things:

1) It shows that we already have plans for that position this coming summer. So no point splurging a lot of financial resources now.
2) Spuds and Chelsea have been furiously asking for a striker respectively over the Winter transfer and they got zero. Chelsea being the weirdest -- after fighting UEFA/FIFA in the courts to get their transfer ban lifted, then not willing to push the boat out to get a striker is just weird.

Betson

His recent stats and performances from China do not inspire confidence but I suspect motivation was a big issue there as well , you don't go to China to win things you go to pick up a pay cheque regardless of how well you play.

His motivation levels should ratchet up from near zero to 100 with this move , this is an unbelievable chance for him to set his legacy as a player, I just hope he turns up in good physical condition as he has not got a lot of time to impress.

Red_toad

Issues will be how match ready is he! Hasn't played for a while out there, plus points he's been to prem before knows how physical it can be, hopefully he can at least hold up the ball, to bring others on, not enough of that with Martial, or even Lukaku . He may even get us a headed goal! Not many of them so far.
Good news is the winter break should give us some time to get the training in.
If he hits the ground running it would be a massive plus, going into Europa league and rest of the F.A cup, and maybe the league push for top 4, but that's going to be tough.
I'm not expecting to many headed goals, as it's not really a strength for him. He does take good positions in the box and knows how to time his runs very instictively.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Odd that Ole came out and said the club wouldn't agree to buy out clauses. Hard to turn down a club who wouldn't agree to your terms.....
Most likely both were true. We were in the running to sign him so were of course given the terms, but even if we had agreed to them there was no guarantee he'd pick us ahead of Dortmund. The fact we declined those terms just made it an easy decision. If we were really his strongly favoured destination I expect there would have been more of a back-and-forth between the parties to try to come to an agreement before he went elsewhere.

Robertd0803

It will be some boot up the hole for Martial when he gets dropped for a 30 year old boyhood Utd supporter signed from China.
You would hope so but then again he may not give a feck either.

Two things:

1) It shows that we already have plans for that position this coming summer. So no point splurging a lot of financial resources now.
2) Spuds and Chelsea have been furiously asking for a striker respectively over the Winter transfer and they got zero. Chelsea being the weirdest -- after fighting UEFA/FIFA in the courts to get their transfer ban lifted, then not willing to push the boat out to get a striker is just weird.
I agree. Haaland aside (and we should have never accepted that stupid deal even if he scores 10 a game for Dortmund) its not as if there was a lot of top strikers available last month that wouldnt have been really bad deals. (Cavani for example).

Personally I hope Ighalo tears the place up and my bet is we will want to keep him at the end of the loan.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Two things:

I think what Gary Neville said was just stupid and people use it to make the point. His interview where he said "you can see how clubs are run going by last min deals" something like that.

Spurs were praised for how well they are run and they made so many last day deals, Chelsea won PL title signing many players in last 2 days. Neville is stupidly idealistic and sometimes he is completely disconnected with reality.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think what Gary Neville said was just stupid and people use it to make the point. His interview where he said "you can see how clubs are run going by last min deals" something like that.

Spurs were praised for how well they are run and they made so many last day deals, Chelsea won PL title signing many players in last 2 days. Neville is stupidly idealistic and sometimes he is completely disconnected with reality.
Were Spurs or Chelseas deal ever comparable to ours where they had a solid 6 months to know a vital player would leave and need replacing?

I mean, you don't need to be idealistic to know that our plan to replace Lukaku was beyond stupid.

roonster09

Scout
Were Spurs or Chelseas deal ever comparable to ours where they had a solid 6 months to know a vital player would leave and need replacing?

I mean, you don't need to be idealistic to know that our plan to replace Lukaku was beyond stupid.
I didn't talk about just this deal. It's Neville's stupid "Well run clubs don't make last min deals". Every club makes last min signings, we have done plenty in the past too.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Two things:

Re point 1, that's an incredibly optimistic outlook. This is probably exactly how it looks, a panic buy (loan).

Ventura

In a 6 minute highlight video he scored his first goal after 4 minutes after bottling a dozen chances, he'll fit in perfectly!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I didn't talk about just this deal. It's Neville's stupid "Well run clubs don't make last min deals". Every club makes last min signings, we have done plenty in the past too.
I'm not sure I agree. Which panic buys that conceivably weren't even in a club short list were bought on deadline day, last minute?

Bayern, Barcelona, Real, City, Liverpool don't really do this. I'm not sure what purchases Spurs and Chelsea did on deadline day, but I don't think that's comparable to normal business.

Also if I'm not mistaken it's this whole Ighalo panic transfer that prompted Neville to say what he did, is it not? If we are talking about the same rant that is, where he says it's clear from Lukakus account that we had a solid 6 months to identify targets and to for them. That's poor business whichever way you look at it.

roonster09

Scout
I'm not sure I agree. Which panic buys that conceivably weren't even in a club short list were bought on deadline day, last minute?

Bayern, Barcelona, Real, City, Liverpool don't really do this. I'm not sure what purchases Spurs and Chelsea did on deadline day, but I don't think that's comparable to normal business.

Also if I'm not mistaken it's this whole Ighalo panic transfer that prompted Neville to say what he did, is it not? If we are talking about the same rant that is, where he says it's clear from Lukakus account that we had a solid 6 months to identify targets and to for them. That's poor business whichever way you look at it.
Gary Neville didn't talk about any imaginary list, just last min deals and he didn't talk about that in this Jan. He said it when we had SAF in charge.

People just blindly use that to judge which club is well run ignoring there might be complications in the deal.

Twingatz

I am a Super Eagles fan and have seen Ighalo for Nigeria and here is what to expect. He is decent technically, I would say better technically than Lukaku. He will hustle and fight for the ball. He his low profile and low drama so you don't have to worry about him putting up a fuss in any way. In terms of goal scoring his play style is more of a poacher. He can hold up the ball, better than Rashford or Martial and a little bit better than Lukaku but that is not his strongest play. He best plays as a striker in a 2 helping his partner get chances. He will get in the box he is a better option in the air than anyone we have.

He is not as good of a goalscorer as Lukaku but I would say under a normal season with the right service he is a more reliable goalscorer than Rashford and would work harder than Martial.

Reactions: roonster09

Sad Chris

Yeah, great. And you could hop on a plan to Pakistan too, doesn't mean you should. Guess what? The Cantonese want the border closed with China as infections rated are going up and up and HK is nowhere near Wuhan. Again, just because it's possible to do something, doesn't mean it's right.
The Cantonese are originally based in Guangzhou in China. The Cantonese dialect is spoken in many regions of southern China and also in HK.

Just because you’ve heard something doesn’t mean it’s true.

roonster09

Scout
Club haven't announced anything after the initial announcement, no pics or interviews yet. Just few articles on why signing Ighalo was a masterstroke and guide to know all about the player.

Noc-Z

ffs
I think he'll embarrass Martial. All he needs to show is a bit of drive and determination - a bit of hunger which Martial seems devoid of, and he's embarrassed him.

Throw in a few goals and hopefully it'll be made clear to everyone that Martial needs ditched.

Water Melon

I think he'll embarrass Martial. All he needs to show is a bit of drive and determination - a bit of hunger which Martial seems devoid of, and he's embarrassed him.

Throw in a few goals and hopefully it'll be made clear to everyone that Martial needs ditched.
Martial is very likely to embarras most of the posters here, once we get PP and Bruno. Ighalo could struggle really badly with the pace of the Prem. If I was to choose between Ighalo and Lukaku, I'd definetely go for the latter.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The opposition scout under LvG, Marcel Bout is now the head of global scouting. If he had a hand in recommending Ighalo back then, he might have contributed to the interest now.