Official: FC Barcelona charged with Corruption over payments to former referees chief | UEFA open investigation

whitbyviking

Laporta doesn't have the rights to sell more shares than the socios allowed him to last summer and they only voted for 49,9%. It means we're still taking about the original 49,9% here. The club belongs to 100% to its members. Every big decision has to go through a vote during a socio's meeting. In some parts of the world, fans are used to the whims of their owner maybe, but in Barcelona Laporta still needs to follow the rules.
That said, the choice to pick those 2 companies who didn't pay up doesn't look good again. But I don't have any inside knowledge in the investement world to know if this a common thing or not. If the new reports are true, nothing changed but the owner of the shares and barca can register every player.

Getting €180m for a 49,9% share of a branch, that wasn't even profitable so far doesn't look like a bad thing. Especially if the investor brings in knowledge to grow that branch, because he wants to make more money. But that's a bet on the future.
All I said is, we're still talking about the original 49,9% shares the socios allowed Laporta to sell, not additional ones.
Both companies made a down payment of €10m each, but they failed to pay the first of three installments (€30m each). Now we need to wait for an official statement on how exactly they will handle the new sale and distribute the shares.
I was just responding to your last line that seemed to say, with some certainty, that you were only selling 49.9%, which without further information doesn't seem feasible without creating a big mess, or at least highlighting inconsistency with last year's FFP.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Laporta doesn't have the rights to sell more shares than the socios allowed him to last summer and they only voted for 49,9%. It means we're still taking about the original 49,9% here. The club belongs to 100% to its members. Every big decision has to go through a vote during a socio's meeting. In some parts of the world, fans are used to the whims of their owner maybe, but in Barcelona Laporta still needs to follow the rules.
That said, the choice to pick those 2 companies who didn't pay up doesn't look good again. But I don't have any inside knowledge in the investement world to know if this a common thing or not. If the new reports are true, nothing changed but the owner of the shares and barca can register every player.

Getting €180m for a 49,9% share of a branch, that wasn't even profitable so far doesn't look like a bad thing. Especially if the investor brings in knowledge to grow that branch, because he wants to make more money. But that's a bet on the future.
Okay, so the only amendment I’ll make is that they are selling the original 49%. Everything else stands with regards to how the club is run. And I did explain how selling this now while it’s unprofitable doesn’t look like a bad deal short term, because it won’t negatively affect revenue, it is another example of poor long term strategic thinking.

Plastic Evra

That's not to bad mouth the socios system, I think there's a lot of qualities to it but evidently it's not really a hard curb to bad management or the general direction of the business of football. Likewise German laws on club ownership.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Comunicado oficial

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/en/club/news/3626270/fc-barcelona-official-announcement

The investors have acquired a total of 29,5% of the ownership of Barça Vision (Bridgeburg) for € 120 million corresponding to part of the participation being held by Socios.com and Orpheus Media. Barça Vision is the Club’s initiative to integrate all digital content around Web3 and blockchain including NFTs and metaverse, which are part of the Club’s strategy to build the digital Espai Barça.
Barca still holds 51%, the german based company together with a dutch investor bought 29,5% shares from socios.com and Orpheus Media, who now only hold 9,75% each. So it's not an additional sale of the shares as some posted here, but just a redistribution of already sold, but not payed for shares.

Last edited:

GeneralKenobi

Last year Barca sold a 49.5% stake in Barca studios to two companies. However the companies didn’t deposit their first 30m euro payment in time to make a difference on this years accounts, so they have been forced to sell more.
I am out of the loop.
If Barca sold last year a 49.5% stake of Barca studios but the buyers didn't pay, why does it only affect this season and not the previous one?

Because they made the sale last summer to be able to comply with FFP and register their new players and such. How did they comply if they didn't get any income?

GeneralKenobi

Comunicado oficial

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/en/club/news/3626270/fc-barcelona-official-announcement

The investors have acquired a total of 29,5% of the ownership of Barça Vision (Bridgeburg) for € 120 million corresponding to part of the participation being held by Socios.com and Orpheus Media. Barça Vision is the Club’s initiative to integrate all digital content around Web3 and blockchain including NFTs and metaverse, which are part of the Club’s strategy to build the digital Espai Barça.
I found the following pic in a spanish forum.

https://i.ibb.co/vh1L1cC/image.png

If its true, the buying company (Bridgeburg) is a one year old company and its president is Joan Laporta.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I am out of the loop.
If Barca sold last year a 49.5% stake of Barca studios but the buyers didn't pay, why does it only affect this season and not the previous one?

Because they made the sale last summer to be able to comply with FFP and register their new players and such. How did they comply if they didn't get any income?
Because they pulled other levers. So many levers.

Don_Johan14

Supports
F.C.Barcelona
What a coincidence that this comes out a day after the Super League.
And after Tebas said yesterday, and in recent weeks, the great job that Barcelona have done in terms of ffp.
But I suppose that of City's 115 charges and PSG's cheating, they have nothing to say there.
They can't be taken seriously.

ROFLUTION

The timing :lol:
Cant possibly have been a coincidence.

Hopefully someone sooner or later brings up the alleged doping in spanish football too that got covered up in the fuentes saga.

Mes que en douche-club .

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
And after Tebas said yesterday, and in recent weeks, the great job that Barcelona have done in terms of ffp.
But I suppose that of City's 115 charges and PSG's cheating, they have nothing to say there.
Barcelona? Yep, I agree.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yes that’s the takeaway from all this

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
City's charges are by the Premier League, not UEFA. UEFA wanted to punish City too but they managed to get out of it with the time barring.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
City's charges are by the Premier League, not UEFA. UEFA wanted to punish City too but they managed to get out of it with the time barring.
And PSG followed a totally different route which was to not lie and let the UEFA FFP committee adjust contracts and fine them as the rules had been written. Barcelona went with the cheating and lying about it which happens to be illegal beyond Football.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Unfortunately never going to happen.
To me it seem equally likely that UEFA woldn't want to hurt their product by messing with Barca or trying to protect their product by flexing their muscles against Barca. I mean it would send quite the message to ban them based on FFP and then ask via the press "what are you going to do about it? create a break away league?".

Cloud7

Why is the first response from Barca fans about any perceived wrongdoing always “Well look at what this other club did” :lol:

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Why is the first response from Barca fans about any perceived wrongdoing always “Well look at what this other club did” :lol:
They care more about shifting the blame away, than taking care that their club isn’t involved in any shady doings. The sense of entitlement is stunning. Whatever they can do to achieve success, is always right and justified, no matter what.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
UEFA have likely* already told Barca this privately. With the news yesterday and Barcelona immediately jumping back on the Super League train I'm not surprised that UEFA are leaking it outright.

*I'm pulling this opinion out of my arse just like the weekly tapeworms, which I assume everyone gets

Floydian

Supports
Bayern Munich
They care more about shifting the blame away, than taking care that their club isn’t involved in any shady doings. The sense of entitlement is stunning. Whatever they can do to achieve success, is always right and justified, no matter what.
Basically the same mindset as Republicans/Maga's have?

Should be relegated as should 115

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
And PSG followed a totally different route which was to bribe UEFA to fix their books and/or look the other way
Fixed that for you :D

And I see we're back to false hope news. Nothing's gonna happen to them ffs, we've been here before

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Fixed that for you :D

And I see we're back to false hope news. Nothing's gonna happen to them ffs, we've been here before
You didn't fix a thing. Bribery or no bribery there is a fundamental difference between PSG handling of things and City's or Barcelona's, the former essentially told the UEFA to do one and use their own rules while the others tried to hide what they were doing and in the process committed fraud. That's why PSG are consistently in the list of rule breakers while the others have magically been clean during multiple seasons.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You didn't fix a thing. Bribery or no bribery there is a fundamental difference between PSG handling of things and City's or Barcelona's, the former essentially told the UEFA to do one and use their own rules while the others tried to hide what they were doing and in the process committed fraud. That's why PSG are consistently in the list of rule breakers while the others have magically been clean during multiple seasons.
It was a goddamn joke -_-

Oranges038

They were found guilty and banned mate. Whether they actually served it is a different matter.
They were given a ban. They weren't banned, because they never served any ban.

If you were handed a jail sentence and got off on a technicality, you wouldn't say you were jailed.