Official: FC Barcelona charged with Corruption over payments to former referees chief | UEFA open investigation

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
And what do you think about the hypothesis given all the information we have so far?
The only logical and sensible conclusion is that Barcelona had been bribing Negreira, while doing more sanctionable stuff along the process, and that everyone involved needs to be involved. All the evidence is very straightforward and blatant for anyone to reach the same conclusion.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I’m all for getting the 2015 CL in case… the one going 1-1 at mid second half with Alves fouling Pogba in the box to prevent him getting the ball and them scoring on the counter. I would also gladly accept the 1998 CL in case, just to keep neutrality, the one Madrid robbed us with a Mijatovic offside goal. :D
Offside goals are legal if we score them

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Well, that's hypotheses. The facts are as follows:

- Barcelona from 2001 to 2018 was harmed by arbitration errors, depriving them of winning four leagues (3 against Real Madrid and another with Atlético) and a Copa del Rey that they lost against Mourinho.

- With the money paid to Negreira, you can't even buy a half-referee's shoe. They earn a lot and well so that these things do not happen.

- As Iturralde González (former referee) said, 90% of the referees are from Real Madrid and if Negreira had tried to influence them, there would already have been a complaint.

- - The amount that Negreira's son was paid to make arbitration reports is disproportionate, especially during the Laporta era where his money tripled.
Here Laporta has to come out to explain why this amount tripled and for what. It's strange.

From here to see what evidence is provided to clarify the matter.
omg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Can definitely recommend this summery from Futbolgate:

@FreckBarca have also done a great job summarizing this.

I have no stake whatsoever in Spanish football and have always preferred Barca to Real Madrid for historic reasons. But the Presidents of Barca’s behavior in this regard is so rotten that it more or less makes it the worst sport scandal ever.

Just imagine if you were a fan of Valencia, Seville, Deportivo or any other of the non-Barca/Real teams.

The current president have signed off on the bribes as much as any other president, but his crimes are time barred since they took place during his first stint as president. Still I have not seen a single Barça fan on Twitter say like ‘what the heck is this, let’s elect a new President’. If nothing else, it can’t be good for business to have someone who bribed refs as president. Make a scapegoat out of him.

But they would never do that, they know what have gone on, and think a criminal like Laporta is the only one who can save them.

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
Can definitely recommend this summery from Futbolgate:
That's a fantastic video. I can not recommend it enough. It shows perfectly how some refs mistakes were encouraged and others were punished.

In these last 2 decades have seen some outrageous refereering in Spain. I am so glad this is finally revealed.

I will give you an example not explained in detail on the video:

In the season 2016-2017 Real and Barca reached the final game with chances of being champions: If both won Madrid would win La Liga, if Madrid lost and Barca won Barca would win La Liga. Basically both clubs needed a win.

Barca was playing Eibar and they were 2-1 down when the referee Hernandez Hernandez awarded to non-existent penalties to Barca (the Alba one is seriously worth watching) and handed a redcard to Eibar. Barca won 2-3.

In the end it didn't matter because Madrid won their game but it was still a good display of terrible refereering. You would think such big mistakes on such an important occasion would have some consequences. Of course they did. Hernandez Hernandez was awarded as the best referee of the 2016/2017 season by the technical referee committee Negreira was the VP of.

Next season. Hernandez Hernandez is awarded with the refereering of the Clásico, the biggest game in Spain. In this game he allowed Barca to score a goal thanks to THE most obvious foul by Suarez to Varane. The 4th referee notified to Hernandez Hernandez that it was a foul but he wouldn't have it.

You can see everything in this video:

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
This whole thing is like cheering on the USS Enterprise as it battles against the evil Captain Bastardo and his flagship the Royal Madrid. For twenty seasons we've blindly agreed with the main cast whenever they've said "That Captain Bastardo is a right gowl", but little did we know that Captain Bastardo was just a freedom fighter trying to stop the Enterprise from stealing everyone's stuff, and the real cnut in this story is the ship draped in stolen capes and levers.

Milo2035

Hope Real is next. I'll never forget the corrupted game at Bernabeu. The ref acted blind when Varane committed a clear red card foul on Evra, and blew the whistle when there was still time left and United got a corner kick.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Barca was playing Eibar and they were 2-1 down when the referee Hernandez Hernandez awarded to non-existent penalties to Barca (the Alba one is seriously worth watching) and handed a redcard to Eibar. Barca won 2-3.

In the end it didn't matter because Madrid won their game but it was still a good display of terrible refereering.
You got to feel really bad for those Eibar players both were blatant dives but the penalty given to Jordi Alba was something outrageous.

Abhinav

You got to feel really bad for those Eibar players both were blatant dives but the penalty given to Jordi Alba was something outrageous.
How was this not given more coverage at the time?? There was clear daylight between the Eibar player and Alba, it could not have been anything but cheating from the referee.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
That's huge, should have taken back all their trophies won during those years? And relegation too of course.

shahzy

Bunch of cheats. This should tarnish the club and ALL players legacies that ever played there during this time. They had a stacked deck so they were all made to look better than they were, won more than they should have.

Corruption should be dealt with harshly. I'm talking relegation and more

Tarrou

forgot about that RVP one, absolutely outrageous decision

just unfathomable that a referee would make that decision in that situation

UDontMessWith24

I really hope this isn't true. Looking beyond Messi, there's Xavi, Iniesta, Guaje who was my favorite player never to play for United, Ronaldinho,, Rivaldo, etc...I know what I've seen with own two eyes and those are some of the best players to ever do it, and the way they played was the epitome of what you show someone who asks why football is called the beautiful game. If it's true, it's not like bribery was the only way they could win trophies. How fecking greedy can you be?!

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
So unfair! The 2 CL trophy should be given to us instead in 09 and 11! Those cheating bastard!

And sorry Messi, your 10 La Liga and 4 CL will all be taken back too unfortunately. Ronaldo will win the GOAT title at the club level by huge trophies margin.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Looking back now, it's quite telling how Real at one point won more CL than La Ligas in the same period of time. Or maybe Real's referee-ing budget could only allow them to concentrate on one competition. :lol:

Wing Attack Plan R

According to the most recent articles in Spain all this affair was revealed, and the whole investigation started, because Barca tried to deduct the payments they made to Negreira.

Several newspapers have already covered it. It is simply too hilarious. The memes are going to be everlasting if true.
It’s like deducting the cost of the bullets used by the hitman you hired.

Strelok

Looking back now, it's quite telling how Real at one point won more CL than La Ligas in the same period of time. Or maybe Real's referee-ing budget could only allow them to concentrate on one competition. :lol:
Agree I'd never forget the Nani red card I started to really hate Real after that. Imo both paid the Liga refs but Barca just paid more :lol:

GinobiliTheGOAT

So unfair! The 2 CL trophy should be given to us instead in 09 and 11! Those cheating bastard!

And sorry Messi, your 10 La Liga and 4 CL will all be taken back too unfortunately. Ronaldo will win the GOAT title at the club level by huge trophies margin.

That's huge, should have taken back all their trophies won during those years? And relegation too of course.
Need more proof than just a verbal agreement. Will be interesting to see what happens in court. Barca should be relegated if genuinely guilty

Cal?

CR7 fan
Need more proof than just a verbal agreement. Will be interesting to see what happens in court. Barca should be relegated if genuinely guilty
I don't care if they are relegated, just need everything they've won since 2001 stripped and handed to the rightful winners. :D

Cal?

CR7 fan
Sorry if it’s been mentioned already, but with all the Jones about us getting 2 more Champions Leagues, I thought it was just the Spanish refs they where paying, where they also paying UEFA reffs?
Not yet, but it's even more obvious in the CL, they're not called Uefalona for nothing.

Steve 007

I think we all know what punishment Barca are going to get. A little slap on the wrist and nothing else.

Mr.Fantastic

Supports
Real Madrid
Guys at Barcaforum are creating a completely new field of psychiatry.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
I think we all know what punishment Barca are going to get. A little slap on the wrist and nothing else.
To punish someone you need proof. Where is that evidence?
Now it turns out that the Spanish justice will have thousands and thousands of proofs but if Barcelona is sanctioned the league would be ruined and then they will not sanction it.

By the way, what do you know about "Operation Catalonia"?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
farcelona
uefalona
lancelona
bribelona

it’s all great banter, it really is.

HisNameIsEarl

What do you expect? That they documented the bribery?

Any corruption legislation worth its name includes semblance, so there is no room for a legal business relationship between the club and the arbitration. Don't know about the spanish laws, but in general, what is known already, should suffice.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Some interesting points from today's article by Santi Nolla.

The prosecution has already entered. But there are shadows. It should be remembered that the report of the prosecution in the Rosell case and that of Neymar 2 was devastating, front page several days of the media. In both trials all the accused were absolved. There are points that don't fit.
(I will talk in another post about Operation Catalonia)

1. Why denounce and not complaint?
A complaint is milder and does not require a prior act of admission by the judge and the statement of those investigated is ensured. With a complaint there was a risk that the judge would not admit it for processing or that it would fall, if admitted, in the appeal against the order.

2. It gives the feeling that a certain rigor is lacking. For example, Òscar Grau started as CEO in September 2016, not in 2010 as indicated. Why aren't previous CEOs investigated? There are Bartomeu's executives but not Rosell's. Albert Soler, responsible for professional sports from 2015 to 2021, will be there, but the previous ones are not investigated.

3. The feeling is that the report has a more media tone than really legal depth. The ball is passed to the court via complaint so that this court cannot reject the report. In the first report, for example, Rosell was not there. When passing through Madrid the complaint has been included. A week ago Rosell filed a complaint against Operation Catalunya. Missing, it is true, the explanations of Barça. But it's better to do it right than to do it fast. They will have to prove that there is a crime, although all of Spanish football has already condemned them.

edgecutter

La liga needs a strong barca, they'll get a fine that is suspended until they fix their finances.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
farcelona
uefalona
lancelona
bribelona

it’s all great banter, it really is.
My friend the seventh Monty Python!!
Who took the little star from the funniest of 2022? There was a Negreira there, it seems to me, we have to investigate and appeal.

Mr.Fantastic

Supports
Real Madrid
To punish someone you need proof. Where is that evidence?
Now it turns out that the Spanish justice will have thousands and thousands of proofs but if Barcelona is sanctioned the league would be ruined and then they will not sanction it.

By the way, what do you know about "Operation Catalonia"?
Paying millions to official. Through back-round channels. Money laundering. I mean?

You second argument reminds of Hollywood. And the abuses. We should cover the abuses cause otherwise Hollywood will fall.

Burn it all, to the ground. Football needs it. Desperately.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
I don't care if they are relegated, just need everything they've won since 2001 stripped and handed to the rightful winners. :D
Then Barcelona would have 4 more leagues and Madrid 3 less and Atlético 1 less. I agree with you.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Paying millions to official. Through back-round channels. Money laundering. I mean?

You second argument reminds of Hollywood. And the abuses. We should cover the abuses cause otherwise Hollywood will fall.

Burn it all, to the ground. Football needs it. Desperately.
Where is the proof?
To convict someone you have to have proof.

Don't Kill Bill

Wouldn't it be amazing if you could get found out secretly paying refereeing officials millions of pounds over decades and get away it?

Assuming they don't find an appendix itemizing each decision with the renumeration required. With entries like Dodgy penalty £10'000 bonus etc.

Are the Barca defenders really going to be comfortable with the no direct proof argument.

There is a clear and already admitted conflict of interest so huge as to beggar belief anyone would in any way sanction dropping the issue.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Where is the proof?
To convict someone you have to have proof.
Are you saying there is no proof that Barca paid money to that guy or there is no proof that ref gave you favourable decision?

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
The former First Division referee and current referee commentator on Cadena Ser, Eduardo Iturralde González, has come up against the criticism that Real Madrid's official television channel poured out on Carlos Clos Gómez and his performance every time he refereed the white team.

Thus, Iturralde has indicated that "Enríquez Negreira had no power over the referees. There are those who make statements and others who make reports on their official channel such as Real Madrid who are unworthy of what is said to be the best club in the world. That The report is low. I put my hand in the fire for Clos Gómez and not for the one who made that report because he is a sellout to his boss. Clos Gómez is a person of integrity who can be wrong against and in favor of Real Madrid and they have only taken out their mistakes", said the partner of the current director of the 'VAR Project'.

Link

Nothing new, the Real Madrid channel brainwashing its followers like this after they say the similar atrocities they say.